PDA

View Full Version : Tech Schools

Bp143
04-14-2008, 10:53 PM
:duh: Sooooooooo... I live in Sac, and as far as auto tech training goes, there's basically 3 options:
Wyotech, UTI, or Community college:rl:

Which is the best, OR is it none of the above?
Would it be best to just get a job as a Smog tech or smoething and work up from there?

Info PLEASE!!!!!!:hyper:

lok
04-14-2008, 10:55 PM
From talking to my two tech friends who work at dealerships.

Even after going to one of those schools you still have to start out at the bottom.

Just start at the dealship and wait for them to send you to training and work your way up.

IMO

hardpark
04-14-2008, 11:05 PM
i am currently attending uti in orlando its alright not quite what i was expecting but its cool

hardpark
04-14-2008, 11:06 PM
and you defently get to be a master tech alot faster by going to one of the schools it could take years for a dealership to decide they want to send you to get your schooling

boogerlovers
04-14-2008, 11:10 PM
id say community college...you will spend a semester taking each class so you will have more time to learn each subject completely...at a trade school like UTI or Wyotech your there for like six months...thats like a month on brakes, a month on total engine rebuild, a month on suspension etc. etc. I think its impossible to completely cover breaks in a month or how to rebuild yet machine an engine in one month...i thought about going to a trade school but im def. happy i decided on the college that im going to...good luck on your decision

boogerlovers
04-14-2008, 11:13 PM
on top of all that how much hands on exp. can you possibly get in one month...plus it costs a shit load to go to one of those schools they pretty much :boink: in the butt...

240love^_^
04-14-2008, 11:18 PM
Personally, I would go with community and do the T-ten program or go ROP. You get a lot of hands on experience.

http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=185214&highlight=automotive+schools

boogerlovers
04-14-2008, 11:18 PM
now that i remember...do community college...any classes that you take at a trade school are non transferable neither is the certificate that you get after you are done...so if halfway through your schooling you decide that...this school isn't for you, you have nothing to show for it :cry: ...im nearly done with the auto-tech program at the school that i go to, i graduate next spring with a AA in automotive and business...

Bp143
04-16-2008, 07:51 PM
im nearly done with the auto-tech program at the school that i go to, i graduate next spring with a AA in automotive (http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=187393#) and business...

thats wassup! ultmately, i want to own my own garage/ car groupie kick it spot. What are you planing to do with your AA?

raz0rbladez909
04-16-2008, 07:57 PM
From what my friends had told me, they both felt UTI was a waste of money, they work at a toyota dealer ship and are just barely moving up from car washes, i think they are lube techs now? but they were able to get my friend a job there who doesnt even have a high school diploma, so i don't imagine it'd be worth it unless you specialize in something different from the norm i.e. gas turbine engines, diesels (like construction equipment type stuff), maybe even rotaries, but starting out with your general piston engines isn't cost effective. Heck if you jus wanna learn about em you can always teach yourself you just won't have the diploma from the school, err long rant but just my .02

boogerlovers
04-16-2008, 08:42 PM
im nearly done with the auto-tech program at the school that i go to, i graduate next spring with a AA in automotive (http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=187393#) and business...

thats wassup! ultmately, i want to own my own garage/ car groupie kick it spot. What are you planing to do with your AA?\
if you were talking to me...which i think you were haha...im going to work at Nissan for a couple of years and eventually open my own shop...hence the double major in business...:rolleyes: