PDA

View Full Version : Toyoburu RWD Coupe

pablo180
04-10-2008, 01:04 AM
Dont know if this is a repost...if it is...please delete.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/Subaru-Concepts/232133/#

http://www.autocar.co.uk/contentImages//Car/Subaru/Concepts/948895225.jpg

http://www.autocar.co.uk/contentImages//Car/Subaru/Concepts/848852419.jpg

Toyota and Subaru are joining forces to develop a sensational new sports coupé together, shown above in an Autocar image.

An inside source revealed top-secret sketches, showing that the car’s brief is to be compact, lightweight, rear drive and fast. Although the Subaru and Toyota versions of this coupé will look different from one another around the front and rear, both will be powered by Subaru’s 2.0-litre flat four engine, making this the first time that a Subaru boxer engine has powered a Toyota.

A naturally aspirated version of the petrol boxer engine with 175bhp is being considered for the base model, and there is potential for a hot 2.5-litre turbocharged model later.

This will be a car inspired by the classic rear-drive AE86 Toyota Corolla GT coupé from the 1980s, a car known for tail-happy handling. Yet beneath the skin we can expect a reworked Impreza, shortened, lightened and with a bespoke coupé body.

Subaru’s trademark four-wheel drive system will be ditched to save weight, complexity and cost. However,

if the standard model is a success then later plans could include a spiritual successor to the Toyota Celica GT4, featuring the 2.5-litre turbo boxer engine and four-wheel drive.

Affordability is the priority for this so-called ‘Toyobaru’. Costs will be driven down thanks to technology sharing between the two car makers. Sources suggest that the coupé could cost as little as £10,000

in Japan, but it’s likely to be closer to £20k in the UK, rising to £25k for the turbo model. Subaru will build the car at its Gunma plant in Japan, while Toyota is in charge of development.

The final design of the coupé is due to be signed off in July, with production set for 2010. Toyota, which holds an eight per cent stake in Subaru, is said to be keen to attract Japan’s disaffected youth with a Mazda MX-5 rival. In fact, an open-top derivative of this coupé could be another longer-term option.

After a launch in Japan, it’s believed the new coupé’s main market will be North America, but it should also make it to the UK. There’s a big market here for sports coupés and Toyota could benefit from an enthusiast’s car that revives the lustre of the Celica.

ALEXTHESUS*PECT
04-10-2008, 01:13 AM
this has some promise! lets see what happens. the look will change 100 times more before it gets released if it does.

TiNMAN
04-10-2008, 01:14 AM
celica/tiburon

exitspeed
04-10-2008, 01:41 AM
:) Got this yesterday.
http://www.zilvia.net/f//showthread.php?t=127041&page=16

shade
04-10-2008, 06:21 AM
That shit looks awesome! I'm totally feeling the whole look until the sketch of the rear. Toyota is finally stepping up.

jackjack
04-10-2008, 01:12 PM
:) Got this yesterday.
http://www.zilvia.net/f//showthread.php?t=127041&page=16

yeah.... i was about to say......

but yea..... sweet.

IStop4NoMan
04-10-2008, 06:52 PM
the new wrx humped a tc, and didnt wear protection. but it actually turned out good.

azndoc
04-10-2008, 06:55 PM
I like it.

Great news.

DOOK
04-10-2008, 06:58 PM
schweeeeeet shit boys and giurls

LongGrain
04-10-2008, 06:58 PM
reminds me of a honda insight

murda-c
04-10-2008, 06:59 PM
too bad it has to have that boxer.

yarou
04-10-2008, 08:03 PM
this is really cool, finally, a production car with a rad flat4 that doesn't look like balls. People will now have the opportunity to have a car that both sounds AND looks cool.

MikeisNissan
04-10-2008, 08:22 PM
damn I think it looks good!

SW20Racer
04-10-2008, 10:54 PM
has anyone looked @ those price speculations? they expect it to be around $20k american INSIDE japan. overseas (in the uk, since we dont know if it will come to america) they're saying almost $40k american!!

that shit is way to expensive for something that is supposed to remind me of the ae86...
This will be a car inspired by the classic rear-drive AE86 Toyota Corolla GT coupé from the 1980s, a car known for tail-happy handling

i think ill keep shopping around...

EDIT: i just saw that they ARE aiming for north america...so that makes it just super. who wants to be the first to shell out around $40k for a rwd coupe? i mean, i realise what this could mean for our market, and i realize that the american dollar could be used for wallpaper and it wouldnt mean shit, but still $40k is alot of wallpaper...

WanganRunner
04-12-2008, 07:50 AM
has anyone looked @ those price speculations? they expect it to be around $20k american INSIDE japan. overseas (in the uk, since we dont know if it will come to america) they're saying almost $40k american!!

There is no way that this thing is going to run for $40k USD.

They're saying like 10k sterling, which I think is probably lower than what it will really be, but figure 12-13k sterling and we'd get it in the US for 15-17k.

I had heard that Toyota was shooting for $15k base when these rumors first started a year ago.

I mean, even if it goes for $19-20k USD, that'd still be about fair as it'd vaguely approximate a Miata coupe in weight and output (a guess, but probable). I'd seriously consider it for $20k, depending on how good the Hyundai Genesis coupe is/isn't.

RedStage
04-12-2008, 08:02 AM
Damn, that is pretty sharp looking. Toyota has been talking about a AE86 rivival for a long time now.

too bad it has to have that boxer.

Not sure what you mean by that....the EJ is a damn good motor. Sure, changing plugs is a bitch, but having owned CA's, SR's, RB's and an EJ it is an extremely capable motor.

Should be a well received car if they can keep the price right.