PDA

View Full Version : RIP Dodge Viper

exitspeed
03-31-2008, 02:26 PM
Straight from the McElroy. I agree with him almost entirely. In fact I think a lot of what he's said in this article echoes what I've been saying on here lately.

Autoline on Autoblog with John McElroy

Posted Mar 31st 2008 1:26PM by John Neff
Filed under: Supercars, Chrysler, Dodge, Autoline on Autoblog
R.I.P. DODGE VIPER

A few blogs back I wrote about how Chrysler is going to combine its three brands and start eliminating overlapping models. The idea is to have Dodge concentrate on trucks and work-utilities, with Chrysler exclusively selling cars, and Jeep offering only SUV-based Jeeps.

It's a bold plan, but a risky one. And while I see the logic in what they're trying to achieve, I don't agree with parts of it. Specifically, I wrote in my blog that no matter what happens, they ought to keep the Dodge Viper. Well, so much for my opinion. The word just leaked out that the Viper is going to get the axe.

John McElroy is host of the TV program "Autoline Detroit". Every week he brings his unique insights as an auto industry insider to Autoblog readers. Follow the jump to finish reading this week's editorial.

The automotive analysts at Bear Stearns report today that this is part of Chrysler's unrelenting mission to cut costs and get back to profitability. Since the Viper is built in its own stand-alone plant in Detroit, it gives the company the opportunity to close another high-cost factory and get rid of more high-cost labor. It also saves the company from having to invest in a redesign of the Viper, a redesign which was already underway.

Even though the headcount reduction doesn't add up to all that much, and even though the Viper is built in pretty low production, killing the car could save the company several hundred million dollars a year. And Chrysler desperately needs that kind of money.

But the reason I thought they should keep it is that the Viper brings in hundreds of millions of dollars a year in free publicity. It's an iconic car that attracts hard core enthusiasts to the Dodge brand, even if they can't afford it. I have no doubt the Viper helps sell Rams and Durangos as well as Chargers and Avengers.

So the next question becomes: what happens to the Dodge Challenger? The guys at Bear Stearns say that the pony car will stay in the line-up, as will the Charger R/T---at least for the time being. Since they're both built in the same plant as the Chrysler 300 and use the Hemi, there isn't much cost savings in getting rid of them – at least not right away.

They also say that there's a glimmer of hope that the Viper will hang on to complement the other two muscle cars. But with the car market slowing dramatically, and with Chrysler's sales and market share cratering, there's a lot more internal pressure to get rid of the Viper than to keep it.

No doubt this report is going to cause a huge public outcry against killing the car. And I've got to believe the more public and the more vocal it is, the harder it will be for Chrysler to get rid of it. So all you Autoblog readers out there, let 'em know what you think.
###

ESmorz
03-31-2008, 02:31 PM
I could honestly care less. I can't afford them and have never even thought about owning any Dodge.

jackjack
03-31-2008, 02:31 PM
no.............. way............... wow, everythings going down the shitter. damn.

exitspeed
03-31-2008, 02:38 PM
I could honestly care less. I can't afford them and have never even thought about owning any Dodge.

You should still be able to appreciate the impact of this story.

The Dodge Viper is literally one of the most important sports cars in Automotive history.

Dutchmalmiss
03-31-2008, 02:43 PM
I was a big fan of the older models. The new ones I almost never saw in person, so I hadn't much to say about it.

RIP nonetheless
http://www.7extrememotorsports.com/lemans/cars/dodge-viper-gtsr-13.jpg

http://xth2686.k12.sd.us/dodge_viper_gtsr_concept_.jpg

IIIXziuR
03-31-2008, 02:45 PM
Wow that sucks.
I know most of us cannot afford them, but Dodge Vipers are really awesome looking and awesome performing sports cars.

I hope there is still a chance of it staying in production, even for a few more years.

Phlip
03-31-2008, 02:45 PM

The Dodge Viper is literally one of the most important sports cars in Automotive history.

That's about what I took from it, it is a car that basically became iconic in how closely the retail product related to the cartoonish concept... They changed the game with it.
It is still big shit to see even an older one on the streets, even though (oddly) the Dodge dealer here doesn't sell them, but the Ferarri dealer around the corner does, lol

yarou
03-31-2008, 02:46 PM

werd, the FIRST car of my childhood and the first car whose name I remembered was the Viper.

Bobafreak
03-31-2008, 02:50 PM
nonsense you can buy anything you put your mind to.

or rob a bank. You decide. :keke:

ESmorz
03-31-2008, 02:57 PM

I'm not saying I don't respect it's history or anything. I'm just saying I've never been a big fan on their looks, even as a small kid. On top of the fact that I can't afford one brings on the... I don't really care.

wangan_cruiser
03-31-2008, 03:02 PM
vipers are nice. hehe i think dodge gave up competing with other supercars.

Omarius Maximus
03-31-2008, 03:02 PM
I'm not saying I don't respect it's history or anything. I'm just saying I've never been a big fan on their looks, even as a small kid. On top of the fact that I can't afford one brings on the... I don't really care.

It's not a particularly expensive car though. It's certainly within reach, even for average joes like us. I think it's a shame that they're doing away with it.

For the longest time I thought that they were big, bulky, tank like cars, until I had some seat time in one. The damn thing reminded me of an S2000! Only with stump pulling torque!

jbuckley
03-31-2008, 03:04 PM
i like the sound of vipers.

oh well with the way some of the newer cars are starting to look bad things were probably in their future anyways

exitspeed
03-31-2008, 03:04 PM
That's about what I took from it, it is a car that basically became iconic in how closely the retail product related to the cartoonish concept... They changed the game with it.
It is still big shit to see even an older one on the streets, even though (oddly) the Dodge dealer here doesn't sell them, but the Ferarri dealer around the corner does, lol

Indeed. You hit the nail on the head. When the Viper came out, it was so outrageous looking.

This is the concept right here. To this day that concept barely looks dated.
http://www.geocities.com/al_man80/1989_dodge_viper_concept-1.jpg

ESmorz
03-31-2008, 03:13 PM
It's not a particularly expensive car though. It's certainly within reach, even for average joes like us. I think it's a shame that they're doing away with it.

For the longest time I thought that they were big, bulky, tank like cars, until I had some seat time in one. The damn thing reminded me of an S2000! Only with stump pulling torque!

Not if you're unemployed, a full time student, and trying to fund 3 expensive hobbies =(

ronmcdon
03-31-2008, 04:12 PM
Back in the day when the viper was released, it was the bargain 70k ish performance car. I think at least part of its demise is the rise on popularity of the C5/C6 Z06 (esp the C5). The Vette was cheaper, performed just as well on paper, and generally recognized as more forgiving to drive.

While I do agree it might not be a good idea to axe your halo car, it could simply be the case that chrysler simply cannot afford one at all. things haven't been looking good for this company for quite some time, and this move just further goes to prove it.

HWYKING
03-31-2008, 04:20 PM
wow i never saw this coming. so i guess no more viper powered Dodge ram either. so does this mean they will only run the dodge challenger for 1 year, and change it to chrysler?

azndoc
03-31-2008, 04:40 PM
HMmmm I've always liked the Viper since it first came out.

How could you not?

But I can't afford it, so it's a distant dream along with the Enzo and many others.

allntrlundrgrnd
03-31-2008, 04:52 PM
That really does suck. Vipers were pretty much my dream car when i was a kid, outrageous but flowing and still aggressive. I still love seeing them on the street. Dodge or not, the Viper is one of the most badass cars ever made.

silviaguy240
03-31-2008, 05:06 PM
sucks...just seen a nice ass gts coupe, blue with silver stripes on saturday. but ATM they are fairly cheap for 97-99. like 30-45k and most are slightly modded, but with this be sure to see prices go up.

03-31-2008, 06:18 PM
best body style there was.... i'd love to own an 01 rt/10.

http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/518/4427Dodge_Viper_RT_10_in_Sapphire_Blue_MINE.jpg

ryguy
03-31-2008, 07:36 PM
I respect the Viper, but I was never a huge fan. Ask anybody what the quintessential American super car is and they will say "Corvette." I will be much more concerned when they axe the 'Vette. To be honest, I dont think the Viper really draws people into the dealership anyways, they dont really get much attention.

Gnnr
03-31-2008, 10:15 PM
Well there goes their halo effect