PDA

View Full Version : Cali may cancel pre-1976 smog exemption......

SimpleS14
03-31-2008, 08:53 AM
I may not live in Cali, but if something like this does happen...i know VA will follow suit. I really don't want to see it happen, I wouldn't mind restoring a classic and injecting it with a nice powertrain (without worrying about smog). I can also see it spreading its boundaries to other parts of Cali as well.

In California, home of the strictest car emissions regulations in the U.S., cars produced before 1976 do not need to undergo smog testing. California State Senator Dean Florez has proposed legislation that would remove that exemption for cars registered in the San Joaquin Valley Unified Air Pollution Control District.

What would that mean if it were passed into law? It would mean that as of January 1, 2009, any car registered in a rather large swathe of central California -- from the 1974 Maverick to the 1929 Model A -- would need to pass every current and future smog test. If it didn't, it couldn't be driven.

It is theorized that the move comes because state authorities have missed their air quality goals and are now looking at targeting a tiny fraction of cars. Living in LA, we can't speak for Central California, but most of the pre-1976 vehicles we see here sound and run better than the glut of 80's Toyotas puttering down the streets. What vintage car owners fear is that if the legislation becomes law in the San Joaquin Valley, then it's only a matter of time before it gets adopted everywhere.

Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/31/ca-looking-to-remove-smog-exemption-from-pre-1976-cars/

lazy240
03-31-2008, 09:00 AM
nooooooo i have three muscle cars

SiI40sx
03-31-2008, 09:11 AM
Personally, I don't see any remedy being produced for air quality anytime soon. Any type of improvement that the state could do will cost a shit load of money, so I guess their only other options are things that DON'T really cost anything and basically just enforces more laws on its citizens, yea pretty wack.

Phlip
03-31-2008, 09:17 AM
God, I love living in NC
I went to get my inspection last month on my S13, badly in need of tires but 2 weeks short of replacement and with a cracked tail light whose replacement is under my bed... My inspection consisted of talking to a high school friend who was working the inspection station. Here, anything 95 and back doesn't even have to pass the sniffer test.

98s14inaz
03-31-2008, 09:41 AM
Ridiculous. How about all the soccer mom SUV's and trucks that despite the advances in tuning and fuel injection only get 13mpg? How about Arnold's fleet of Humvee's and private jet he uses daily? All the vehicles that come up from Mexico that do not have cali emissions compliance? I swear they just ignore the real problem and go after an easy target to make the granola eaters feel better about themselves.

Yuri
03-31-2008, 10:39 AM
Repost.
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=182637

If this goes through, it will suck on a multitude of levels.