PDA

View Full Version : quick help: phone

hmooblis
03-17-2008, 11:22 PM
my crappy/cheaply phone that i got with my bro is out. got it from verizon and the two year contract is over. phone still works but i am unable to recharge it due to broken chips. what options do i have? am on a tight budget and don't want a spend over $50 bucks for a temporary as i want to upgrade to a 3.2mp phone later but don't have the budget now. can i go in a verizon store and trade it in for another phone and keep the current contract? should i just buy a phone off the streets? how does that work and how i get the phone to work. also my cheap phone doesn't seem to have sim chip? if that helps

ryguy
03-17-2008, 11:25 PM
Yes, Verizon will give you a new phone for free if you renew the contract.

codunc
03-17-2008, 11:25 PM
If you buy a phone from someone other than verizon they will still activate it for you, but they may charge a fee...

hmooblis
03-18-2008, 12:26 AM
thanks guys, est. on that fee?

SW20Racer
03-18-2008, 01:17 AM
as evil as walmart is, they have virgin mobile phones for like $12 add a $20 card to that and you got change left over for ky and a copy of highlights for children

hmooblis
03-18-2008, 01:24 AM
good to know, how does it work? do i just buy the phone and activate with the phone cards? any fees? what are the going rates for minute per dollar?

SW20Racer
03-18-2008, 01:31 AM
good to know, how does it work? do i just buy the phone and activate with the phone cards? any fees? what are the going rates for minute per dollar?

yeah you buy the phone and a time card, then the kid behind the register with the grease mop hairdo will register your phone by scanning it and when you take it home you follow the directions on the package and activate your phone online.

they'll even txt msg you to let you know when you need to buy more time (when you're down to 5 minutes or so) and i think hannah gets charged like 18 cents a minute to call her dad in buffalo ny (we're in alabama)

the upside to virgin mobile prepaid is that its a great quick fix, and later if you so desired you can set up a real plan (like $20 a month for 200 minutes a month or whatever. kind of like the bargain basement plans alot of companies offer), EXCEPT you dont have to sign a contract...

edit: there are no activation fees, and when hannah picked her phone it came with like 30 bonus minutes or some crap

hmooblis
03-18-2008, 02:23 AM
cool thanks, i'll have to give it a try

emersonLP
03-18-2008, 08:12 AM
as evil as walmart is, they have virgin mobile phones for like $12 add a $20 card to that and you got change left over for ky and a copy of highlights for children

You say terrible things SW20, but you make me chuckle at work so thank you.

Farzam
03-18-2008, 09:50 PM
Craigslist ftmfw

pwhitersxs
03-18-2008, 11:49 PM
www.sprint.com/sero

Best plan's ever. Sprint gives you all the rebates already included in the sale. So no waiting for the rebate in the mail.

I have:
A nice phone
500 Anytime minutes
unlimited texting
unlimited data usage
nights and weekends starting at 7pm

For 30 dollars a month.

Oh and if I dial *2 and say dropped call to the automated lady, I can get up to an extra 10 dollars off a month. woohooo.

For the sprint email, go to the store and get some cards, or try to find one online.

Your welcome.

ryguy
03-19-2008, 08:33 AM
www.sprint.com/sero (http://www.sprint.com/sero)

Best plan's ever. Sprint gives you all the rebates already included in the sale. So no waiting for the rebate in the mail.

Holy crap man, thats a hell of a deal. Doesnt he need your email address or something though?

hmooblis
03-19-2008, 01:10 PM
very interesting... how would i get the email?

pbcstylez
03-19-2008, 01:40 PM
hmooblis u can get any verizon phone and activate online thru their website

pbcstylez
03-19-2008, 01:41 PM
the ex works for circuit city in one of the malls off florin rd in sac/elk grove area she works for verizon ask for **** she'll take care of u

yudalicious
03-19-2008, 01:48 PM
if you're already a verizon customer and your contract's up, just extend the 2 year contract and get a free or under $50 phone from their site, there's some ok choices.

stinky_180
03-19-2008, 04:56 PM
cellularcountry.com

or check out the pda phone i have listed in my signature.

woodchuck
03-19-2008, 05:12 PM
i think you can get a replacement phone for $50 bucks at a verizon retail store.

renewing your contract is the cheapest way to go but you'll be stuck with a phone that you might not want.

the good thing is you'll be able to save up for a year for that phone you really want and still be under contract.