PDA

View Full Version : s14 sr20det problem after changing oil

-the.k.w.c-
03-05-2008, 12:13 AM
ok so i changed the oil on my friends sr20det today just like i do on mine.

the car ran fine and strong days before.

After changing the oil and adding lucas oil additives which makes the oil thicker and such. we started the engine to let the oil move around inside the engine and then to check the level. the car warms up and the level comes out perfect and the engine sounds fine we stop the engine . we top up all his fluids and start the engine again this time it sounds like a lawn mover engine and there is a rapid clicking sound ( not very loud) comming from the turbo side of the engine, we taped on the gas to rev the engine up but it was very sluggish and sputtery so we cut the engine. I pulled out the plugs and noticed there was some oil on the threads of the spark plugs but i could not notice any oil inside of the chamber. the oil did not come from out side the valve cover from what i can tell. we did not notice any black smoke comming out of the exhaust but we didnt have the engine running very long when this all started.

what could be the problem?

str4g63
03-05-2008, 11:15 AM
You know I didn't consider the lucas oil, I have a thread where I have spark and fuel but my car deosn't turn on.. and the last thing I did was change my oil and add lucas.. it ran fine then I let it sit for a 3 days and then it didn't start.. keep me posted if it turnes out to be the lucas..

98s14inaz
03-05-2008, 11:23 AM
What kind and weight of oil did you add? Why did you add lucas products? What kind of filter? How many miles on the engine? Was the oil pump ever replaced?

-the.k.w.c-
03-05-2008, 12:21 PM
i used this stuff

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=25&catid=2&loc=show

i used about 10% cause it said to use 15-20% for newer engines and 20 -45% for older engines and since i just help him rebuild it i figured the engine was newer and i didnt want to add a lot of this stuff right off the bat

and we used 5w 30 reg oil from castrol

ecuastyle84
03-05-2008, 12:52 PM
after rebuilding the motor like you said...did use the same products for the previous oil change on this one?

-the.k.w.c-
03-05-2008, 02:40 PM
this is the 1st time i used the lucas stuff in the engine i used the same oil as before

S13Leprechaun
03-05-2008, 03:44 PM
that sounds kidna wierd... thats obviously the problem it sounds like... drain, and do a normal oil change without it.. see what happens.

ecuastyle84
03-05-2008, 04:13 PM
that sounds kidna wierd... thats obviously the problem it sounds like... drain, and do a normal oil change without it.. see what happens.

i agree...drain...change filter...change oil....lets just hope your problem doesn't result in you having to rebuild this motor again if this doesnt fix it

sofo259
03-05-2008, 04:36 PM
i know that lucas oil treatment is as thick as molasses..

it could have possibly clogged up something, and is restricting oil flow..

but thats weird, did the engine build normal oil pressure before you guys cut it off ??

you know after you rebuild a motor it should be broken in running straight 30 weight oil.. then after about 6k miles or so, run whatever oil you want, cause the detergents in 5w30/10w30/synthetic can damage the internals after a fresh rebuild..

how long ago was the engine rebuilt ??

JVD
03-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Let's see... the only thing you changed is the Lucas shit and now it doesn't run right... Hmm...what could it be?

sofo259
03-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Let's see... the only thing you changed is the Lucas shit and now it doesn't run right... Hmm...what could it be?

hahahahahahaha

uhhh huhhh

-the.k.w.c-
03-06-2008, 11:25 AM
he ran the car from may - sep of 07 with no problems and this year about 2 weeks before we changed the oil

-the.k.w.c-
03-10-2008, 10:54 AM
You know I didn't consider the lucas oil, I have a thread where I have spark and fuel but my car deosn't turn on.. and the last thing I did was change my oil and add lucas.. it ran fine then I let it sit for a 3 days and then it didn't start.. keep me posted if it turnes out to be the lucas..

i flushed the oil 3 times and let it run for 15MIN after we did the pressure test to make sure nothing was blown.

the engine sounded like shit for the 1st 3 hrs of light driving we did after 3 hrs it would start to sputter and then idle normal and sound right like it used to. the engine is now running like it used to and pulls strong

Listen here is DONT USE LUCAS OIL ADDITIVES OR ANY ADDITIVES