PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

ghambino
02-26-2008, 10:31 AM
Do you consider drifting to be a form of racing?

exitspeed
02-26-2008, 10:37 AM
It's a form of motosports. It's not racing. The winner is not decided by getting to a goal first.

Landers
02-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Couldn't have said it any better.

ghambino
02-26-2008, 10:49 AM
Fair enough. If the definition of racing is getting to a designated finish line first.

corriganjoshua
02-26-2008, 10:52 AM
Being a judged motorsport unlike many others

ManoNegra
02-26-2008, 10:53 AM
It's a form of motosports. It's not racing. The winner is not decided by getting to a goal first.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

MikeisNissan
02-26-2008, 12:07 PM
it's figure skating

lucky7
02-26-2008, 12:10 PM
yup yup. what they all said. ive never been to an event, i dont even know how they score it. judges?? lol.

B18C5MK1
02-26-2008, 12:22 PM
Fair enough. If the definition of racing is getting to a designated finish line first.

indeed, i believe that would be the correct definition of racing.

i like the 'figure skating' comment. hahaha

blasting_speed
02-26-2008, 12:23 PM

exitspeed
02-26-2008, 12:27 PM

Issssss there something you want to add to what i said? :goyou:

SW20Racer
02-26-2008, 12:30 PM
It's a form of motosports. It's not racing. The winner is not decided by getting to a goal first. dropaduecepoopypants.

lets see how long this one echoes....

azndoc
02-26-2008, 12:31 PM
Drifting is a form of expression. You can do what you want but as long as your sideways and having fun then that's all it matters. There's no racing involved. It's a form of motorsports ^^^ like everyone else said. Just a way for you to have fun. Now competition wise it's different. Your judged on entry speed, angle, line, clipping point, how close you follow and keep up with the person in front of you during tandem, not spinning out, not understeering, not hitting and causing the other person to spin, and passing the other person with the proper line. All those things listed are what you get a final point score of to beat the other person. Whew I'm tired.

LongGrain
02-26-2008, 12:32 PM
EDIT: ^^^^what he said too..

yup yup. what they all said. ive never been to an event, i dont even know how they score it. judges?? lol.

yes, its judges. there are guidelines as to how scored also (its not just style and opinion)

like when tandeming, if one car overtakes the other during a drift scenario, that car is awarded points (more often than not, this menuever will win the round) but, if a car overtakes another while NOT in a drift (gripping), that car loses points (or forfeits the round)

i'm not exactly sure HOW true those are, i read them somewhere a long time ago.

drift freaq
02-26-2008, 12:39 PM
Drifting is a form of expression. You can do what you want but as long as your sideways and having fun then that's all it matters. There's no racing involved. It's a form of motorsports ^^^ like everyone else said. Just a way for you to have fun. Now competition wise it's different. Your judged on entry speed, angle, line, clipping point, how close you follow and keep up with the person in front of you during tandem, not spinning out, not understeering, not hitting and causing the other person to spin, and passing the other person with the proper line. All those things listed are what you get a final point score of to beat the other person. Whew I'm tired.

pretty much sums it up. Motorsport not racing. end thread.

ghambino
02-26-2008, 04:00 PM

True. So at the competition level is it racing? There is a start and a finish line where you are being judged, but you are still racing the guy in front or behind you no? You're racing on the judged section as fast as you can while going sideways. Its not racing in the traditional sense like road racing, but I still want to think of it as racing. You guys made some good points, but I don't think I'm convinced yet.

Ultimately the drivers performance on the track decides his fate not the judges. Its not like they're going oh I like R34s better than S15s so I'll give Nomuken 100pts.

Yuri
02-26-2008, 04:49 PM
So at the competition level is it racing?

Nope.
At the competition level it is lame.

Let me reiterate.
At the pro competition level it is lame.

Drifting at it's essence is a form of hanging out, being awesome, and breaking stuff.

It's not something that should be bound by rules or politics.

SlideWell
02-26-2008, 04:55 PM
id like to add, its an ART form.
i hate it when people ask if youre a drift racer or someshit, like WTF is that? :squintd:

ghambino
02-26-2008, 06:19 PM
id like to add, its an ART form.
i hate it when people ask if youre a drift racer or someshit, like WTF is that? :squintd:

I understand completely. This was a topic that came up on another forum I frequent. It's mainly a road racing forum so I asked here just to see if I'd get a different response. End thread.

OKR_240SX
02-26-2008, 10:23 PM

most events i know of judge by line, speed, angle, and how the crowd reacts. And as LongGrain said if one overtakes, more points. If someone spins out, its basically no points. But i agree its not racing. Its a opinion based sport.

Antihero983
02-27-2008, 07:37 AM

QFT.

and posi repped.