PDA

View Full Version : do u need a turbo ecu for a non turbo rx7 fc converting to turbo?

240sxlove
02-24-2008, 02:29 PM
hi, i might get a non-turbo rx7 fc, i was wondering if i need the turbo ecu when i turbo the car? or does it just like affect it a little bit?

im going to get a stock turbo for it and bolt it on with everything else, wondering if i need the ecu to make it happen?
thanks for looking:)

kingkilburn
02-24-2008, 05:22 PM
Some one might know but you should check an RX-7 forum.

Pank
02-24-2008, 06:39 PM
check RX7club.com, but dont even try to mention engine swapping or non weak offset wheels, b/c they get their panties in a wad

!Zar!
02-24-2008, 08:13 PM
How are you turboing the car?

Are you doing a stock TII swap or are you building a custom setup?

If you are doing the latter then you don't need a turbo ecu. You will only need fuel management with the stock na ecu.

If you are planning on doing a complete tII swap then you will need the tII ecu unless you want to try and rig it out.

I suggest buying a rtek ecu and repin your na harness for a tII ecu and go that way.

What year is your fc as well as what year; if any, are the parts coming from?

Helghast
02-24-2008, 08:56 PM
I looked it up for your.
After an intensive research, I'm gonna go ahead and say maybe.

!Zar!
02-24-2008, 09:04 PM
It won't work.

I'll just save you the hassle with the details.

Why don't you just buy an ecu?

Shitty things are dirt cheap.

I have three somewhere.

Or I did... I'll see if I can find them.

aznpoopy
02-24-2008, 10:25 PM
and the n/a motor does not run the same compression as the t2. and the rotary is super sensitive to detonation (apex seal = crack). in other words, t2 ecu? no. i would suggest actual aftermarket management. t2 ecu + pull timing + high comp = janky, imo. but its been done. anyway.

t2 and n/a models have many differences besides the turbocharged aspect, the main things being brakes and the entire drivetrain. tranny, rear end and axles are beefier on the t2. n/a quality on various components varies depending on which n/a trim it is, and even which series (86-88 s4 vs 89-91 s5). now you don't NEED t2 drivetrain per se just b/c its turbocharged. but you could save yourself alot of headache and get the better stuff by simply getting a t2. they don't run more than 5-6k.

if you are deadset on going with the current car, its far easier to do a full t2 swap, using the same generation swap (remember s4 v s5) as the car it's going in.

now if you really want to take the hard path, you can try turbocharging a n/a.

t2 parts do NOT all bolt straight onto the n/a motor. it will require some minor modification.
check here:
http://forum.teamfc3s.org/showthread.php?t=37694

if ur going non oem parts, the support really isn't there like it is for the ka.
check here:
http://www.aaroncake.net/RX-7/naturbo1.htm

240sxlove
02-27-2008, 10:41 PM
thanks everyone for the reply, this really helps:)