PDA

View Full Version : Garage floor coating?

timlush
02-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Planning on doing mine soon either white or light grey. Post some pics of what you guys have.

Please include

1. Brand
2. Price
3. Ease of application
4. Review(Do you like it, would you buy again, etc..)

Thanks!! :bigok:

lflkajfj12123
02-18-2008, 09:33 PM
Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

try off topic

timlush
02-18-2008, 09:39 PM
Oh yeah. Shit. It won't let me delete it.

I'm sure a mod will help me out :)

khilgers
02-18-2008, 09:44 PM
Epoxy floors are really nice, but the most important thing to do is to get the concrete prepped properly. To the best of my knoweldge you need to etch the concrete so it can get a better hold on whatever product you use. You can of course have someone do it professionaly, but it can get expensive. On the other hand it will last for years and years of abuse.

The stuff from home depot is OK, but you need to do the prep work.

Line-x is starting to get into garage floor coatings, but that may be just some locations that are doing that.

Good luck.

timlush
02-19-2008, 11:28 AM
Definitely going with epoxy. Just trying to find the best deal out there and the easiest one to do on my own.

ThatGuy
02-19-2008, 11:32 AM
Thread moved. :bow:

I see U-Coat-It advertised on Car shows pretty often. Not sure if that's makes it good coating, or just good advertising. :D
http://ucoatit.com/pgs/main.htm

jackjack
02-19-2008, 11:33 AM
^thats what i'm thinking. i'm going to try it, as soon as it warms up around here.

IIIXziuR
02-19-2008, 11:39 AM
I def want to epoxy the garage at my friends house but most of the kits are super expensive. UCoat-it, is the best product but just the standard package is like $300. The Gloss option was like an additional $200!

A few months back I was check pricing on ebay. There actually are a lot of nice kits for sale that are epoxy, cover up to 500sq ft, and dry to a brilliant gloss. When I am ready to order, I think thats were I am gonna get from.
They pretty much are the same thing as U-Coat It brand but much cheaper.

Also from my personal experience, the epoxy paint at the hardware stores is decent and is much cheaper than the big name 2 Part Epoxy paints BUT it is not as durable and tends to peel and chip. I have Lowes brand paint on my garage floor now.

ThatGuy
02-19-2008, 11:42 AM
One thing you need to worry about with the Cheap Stuff, is peeling.

Nothing worse then making your garage look all pretty and glossy, then moving your car in the morning and having the paint leave with you tires. I've seen quite a few places where there are places on the floor with no more epoxy, in the shape of tire tread. :down:

codyace
02-19-2008, 11:58 AM
Rustoleum sells a nice product at lowes.

We used it at our shop (We work on Big Rigs/Garbage Trucks/ etc) abou 4 years ago, and for being worked on everyday (and abused) it's holding up nicely.

Ensure you acid wash and clean the intiial concrete before application. Do this twice to ensure. We also opted to NOT put in any of the flake stuff....you'd be surprized how easy it is to 'loose' small nuts and bolts on the floor with the flake. Plain gray for us.

BustedS13
02-19-2008, 12:08 PM
we're looking at options for an epoxy floor when we build our new garage, it's going to be baller :D

S14DB
02-19-2008, 12:27 PM
I used indoor/outdoor carpet. One pass with the steam cleaner makes it look brand new. Ladies think it's baller.

xTomKx
02-19-2008, 12:31 PM
That epoxy stuff is awesome :rawk: and it holds up good but gets very slipery when wet.

exitspeed
02-19-2008, 01:10 PM
I want to do the epoxy floor this summer. I think it's more about your prep then the product. I'm sure some products are better then others. I think a good pressure wash and then some kind of real hardcore cleaner to get rid of the oil and stuff like that, and then the coating and you'd be golden.

AJ, there'd be no way an indoor/outdoor carpet would work in this climate. Right now my garage floor looks like complete HELL due to snow, ice, water, and worst of all, SALT. The epoxy should be easy to just spray off each spring.

BustedS13
02-19-2008, 01:12 PM
what about brand new concrete? would you need to etch that?

exitspeed
02-19-2008, 01:13 PM
what about brand new concrete? would you need to etch that?

Prolly cause it has a sealer on it. I believe a type of acid ca be used to "etch" it. It's cheap and easy.

-=RS13=-
02-19-2008, 01:24 PM
I used the rust-o-leom epoxy shield from Home Depot. Like everyone said it is all in the prep. It has survived two Canadian winter's so for with lots of sand and gravel. But the best part is that oil that is spilled on it wipes up very easily, even after soaking in for a week or so. Highly recommend as long as you have a full weekend to do a 2 car garage
Pic's (sorry none of actual garage just car shot's)
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/9217/frontfit002pv1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

BustedS13
02-19-2008, 01:31 PM
Prolly cause it has a sealer on it. I believe a type of acid ca be used to "etch" it. It's cheap and easy.

well, we haven't laid the concrete yet.. i guess i really need to talk to a contractor. but yeah, epoxy flo'z, hawt

exitspeed
02-19-2008, 01:32 PM
well, we haven't laid the concrete yet.. i guess i really need to talk to a contractor. but yeah, epoxy flo'z, hawt

Have the contractor do it. It won't cost much extra, and it'll save you an extra step. They will be able to do it for you.

timlush
02-19-2008, 03:05 PM
I used the rust-o-leom epoxy shield from Home Depot.

How much for everything? Does it come with the products needed to prep?

S14DB
02-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Have the contractor do it. It won't cost much extra, and it'll save you an extra step. They will be able to do it for you.
Concrete has to cure.

exitspeed
02-19-2008, 03:16 PM
Concrete has to cure.

Yea, but they will be pouring the concrete floor in the basement way before they are done with the house. They would just come back to it a week later.

-=RS13=-
02-19-2008, 03:38 PM
How much for everything? Does it come with the products needed to prep?

I forget but it took two pack's i think about 70 bucks. And it come with everything needed except for a broom and a squeegee. Mine was over sealed concrete and it worked fine. Just have to scrub with the acid solution they give you a little harder

khilgers
02-19-2008, 03:44 PM
you should typically let the concret cure for a minimum of 1 month in order for it to work all of the innert gases out. We've done floors days too early and it will begin to form bubbles all along the floor since the concrete is still breathing.

fliprayzin240sx
02-19-2008, 04:42 PM
Rustoleum stuff is good and cheap. We did 3 2-car garages with the kits. If i remember, each kit cost roughly $60 or so. Do 2 kits and its still cheap...

illvialuver
02-19-2008, 06:54 PM
reminds me does anyone else have those super slick garage floors that if there is any moisture you will slip and break your back? we had one like that at our old house and that epoxy resin stuff from home depot did the trick.

codyace
02-19-2008, 08:09 PM
reminds me does anyone else have those super slick garage floors that if there is any moisture you will slip and break your back? we had one like that at our old house and that epoxy resin stuff from home depot did the trick.

This is one qualm I do have with the Epoxy floors. The kit from Lowes/HomeDepot (when oily/wet) is very slippery.

eastcoastS14
02-19-2008, 08:11 PM
where is full-lock? he has a pretty bad ass garage if i remember correctly

Naughty240
02-19-2008, 08:22 PM
We did the shop I worked in years ago. Be carefull those floors like others said is slippery when wet. I think the ones we used were called epoxy shield. Didnt really have any peeling problems

inertiaticism
02-19-2008, 09:05 PM
I was thinking about just applying a clear epoxy sealant to ours, it would look kind of like a stained concrete floor.

leash
02-19-2008, 09:10 PM
I guess when my garage is less cluttered I'll take a snap shot, but I've got the granite style on my floors.

http://www.rathepoxyfloors.com/images/samples/flake/tuxedo.jpg

I've had it for about three years now and I think it cost about 3.50 a square foot, but we had a professional do it. Took just a few days to do it, but all prep work was done on the floors first before the professionals cames (filling in the cracks and such).

The only downer to it is that it is some times a pain to find a nut or a screw on the floor when you drop it. But at least its an easy clean up.

The more plastic color flakes, the less slippery it will tend to be after the final coat.