PDA

View Full Version : Dead Rising, Dawn of the Dead similarities spark legal filings

Antihero983
02-15-2008, 03:16 PM
from Joystiq.com::

Capcom is looking to protect its right to kill hordes of zombies in a shopping center. In a legal complaint filed this week (PDF file via The Hollywood Reporter Esq.), the game publisher asserts that "humans battling zombies in a shopping mall" is a "wholly unprotectible idea" under today's copyright laws.

The reason for Capcom's fair use claim reportedly comes from a draft complaint sent to the company (as well as Microsoft and Best Buy) by The MKR Group, who claim intellectual ownership of both Dawn of the Dead films. Capcom's filing notes that the company unsuccessfully tried to discuss the matter and that the game features a disclaimer that reads, "This game was not developed, approved or licensed by the owners or creators of George A. Romero's Dawn of the Dead."

gimme a fucking break.

kdashy
02-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Haha, is Capcom broke or something?

Yuri
02-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Haha, is Capcom broke or something?

Don't you mean "Is MKR broke or something."?

exitspeed
02-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Read this yesterday. As dumb as it sounds, I will admit that when i think of Zombie's and Malls, without a DOUBT Dawn of the Dead comes to my mind and nothing else. Tht's the definition of intellectual property. As soon as I saw Dead Rising, I thought, AWESEOME a Dawn of the Dead type game. It wasn't what I expected though. :/

jackjack
02-15-2008, 03:47 PM
^tell me about it. bought it..... played.... sold it the very next day. weaksauce.

exitspeed
02-15-2008, 03:48 PM
^tell me about it. bought it..... played.... sold it the very next day. weaksauce.

The demo was fun...cause it was free.

jackjack
02-15-2008, 03:51 PM
they need to come out with a dawn of the dead game....... done right. oOOoooOOOooOOoo that would be SICK. none of this dead rising crap with shitty graphics.

exitspeed
02-15-2008, 03:55 PM
they need to come out with a dawn of the dead game....... done right. oOOoooOOOooOOoo that would be SICK. none of this dead rising crap with shitty graphics.

I want a REAL next gen zombie game. You basically start out at the begining of the infestation. It would be like a GTA game, where it's wide open and you can do what you want. So then you can decide, do you want to try and run, barracade yourself into a building, etc. So say if you barricade yourself into a room, you can do a check, and it'll say home much food you have and how long you can last. There would be objects around you can use to board up windows or push furniture in front of doors, etc. Or you can just try and hop in a car, and head to certain destinations. But that would be your ultimate goal, get to a "safe zoom" or something. that would be awesome.

fc3s kit
02-15-2008, 04:08 PM
A fun zombie-type game would be ZombieMod for Counter-Strike. Try out the servers here http://www.mysticdeath.com/ for some great zombie killing.

180sExy
02-15-2008, 04:12 PM
I want a REAL next gen zombie game. You basically start out at the begining of the infestation. It would be like a GTA game, where it's wide open and you can do what you want. So then you can decide, do you want to try and run, barracade yourself into a building, etc. So say if you barricade yourself into a room, you can do a check, and it'll say home much food you have and how long you can last. There would be objects around you can use to board up windows or push furniture in front of doors, etc. Or you can just try and hop in a car, and head to certain destinations. But that would be your ultimate goal, get to a "safe zoom" or something. that would be awesome.
It would be tight if it was online play too an you could chose what city you want too start out in and have a actual replica of that city. Like they did in Assassins Creed with all those acient cities. Also if you could meet up with people(other players) I would seriously buy a game like that!!!

exitspeed
02-15-2008, 04:53 PM
It would be tight if it was online play too an you could chose what city you want too start out in and have a actual replica of that city. Like they did in Assassins Creed with all those acient cities. Also if you could meet up with people(other players) I would seriously buy a game like that!!!

I would too.

I think Rockstar has the talent to do a good Zombie game based on the GTA formula.

sunnys14
02-15-2008, 08:42 PM
I love zombies.

The End

Dead Rising was fun for a while, the weapons were fun to use.

airforceone451
02-15-2008, 09:00 PM
There's a game sort of similar to that coming out soon, it's called "Left 4 Dead". It puts you as either a zombie or a human at each game. If human: you start in like a 4 man group against many zombies and you must get from A to B. If zombie: you and your teammates must destroy and prevent the humans from making to their destination. There's different "classes" of zombies and humans, it sounds cool.

jackjack
02-15-2008, 09:46 PM

i wouldnt leave my house if they had a game like that :axe:

muddafakka
02-15-2008, 09:57 PM
I would too.

I think Rockstar has the talent to do a good Zombie game based on the GTA formula.

Or better yet, base it on Manhunt.