PDA

View Full Version : The perks of financial trouble.. Chrysler can't afford to switch to FWD.

Yuri
02-15-2008, 10:38 AM
This is awesome.
As you know, many companies are focusing on changing their RWD cars to FWD for better fuel economy in wake of the new CAFE standards.
Chrysler isn't.
This is mostly because they don't have the budget for the massive chassis redesign it would take.

Here's some more info, that may or may not spread more light on the subject.

http://jalopnik.com/356904/2011-chrysler-300-dodge-charger-to-remain-rear+wheel-drive-get-makeover

Farzam
02-15-2008, 10:40 AM
So fucking cool.

There is hope for tomorrow!!!

jackjack
02-15-2008, 10:42 AM
SWEET............. good to hear.

LongGrain
02-15-2008, 10:44 AM
for all those RWD cars they have...

but its better than nothing.

300hp owen
02-15-2008, 11:01 AM
nice!
charger, challenger, etc, I hope they SRT-8 every car they make!
I sure wish they would try and make them a little less of fat pigs but hey at least theyre beefy strong rwd'ers.

exitspeed
02-15-2008, 11:47 AM
This is awesome.
As you know, many companies are focusing on changing their RWD cars to FWD for better fuel economy in wake of the new CAFE standards.
Chrysler isn't.

I don't think we'll see current RWD cars switched over to FWD platforms. I think it is mostly the plans for all the future RWD platforms that we will see nixed.

I also think, however, that it will effect the LARGER RWd vehicles that were planned and not so much the smaller ones like, the new Silvia/240, 86, etc. Those care were going to have great gas mileage anyway, so I don't think they'll be effected.

Yuri
02-15-2008, 12:41 PM
I don't think we'll see current RWD cars switched over to FWD platforms. I think it is mostly the plans for all the future RWD platforms that we will see nixed.

I also think, however, that it will effect the LARGER RWd vehicles that were planned and not so much the smaller ones like, the new Silvia/240, 86, etc. Those care were going to have great gas mileage anyway, so I don't think they'll be effected.

According to the article, it's a platform change.
They were unable to change to FWD for the platform change.

steve shadows
02-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Why not just improve on archaiac US EFI GM stuff and move towards direct injectoion etc, and keep them RWD, maybe make them a little smller dis with more compromise on how fucking massive and heavy they are.

Why have all the manufacturers made 4 door sports sedans that weigh substantially more than mid-size trucks from the 1990s?

:bash: :goyou:

exitspeed
02-15-2008, 12:59 PM
Why not just improve on archaiac US EFI GM stuff and move towards direct injectoion etc, and keep them RWD, maybe make them a little smller dis with more compromise on how fucking massive and heavy they are.

Why have all the manufacturers made 4 door sports sedans that weigh substantially more than mid-size trucks from the 1990s?

It's sounds like a no brainer. The weight comes from the increase in mass every generation, and all the extra tech stuff a consumer MUST have, and safety crap.

My prediction, is the next gen cars we'll see come about in the next 1-2 years will NOT increase in size or they will very little (luckily Nissan is already kicking the habit of bigger is better). Then the next gen we'll AGAIN not see a size increase and we'll start seeing more "smart" materials used by GM, as well as more aluminum and more and more CF being used. Yes even in regular consumer cars.

ryguy
02-15-2008, 01:03 PM

Probably because of the government safety standards that were imposed. First the government makes them make the cars beefier, then tells the manufacturers to make them vastly more fuel efficient. What a quandry.

Yuri
02-15-2008, 02:40 PM
Reminds me of this:
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=175471&highlight=barchetta

A dozen years ago things had begun changing. First there were a few modest safety and emission improvements required on new cars; gradually these became more comprehensive. The governmental requirements reached an adequate level, but they didn't stop; they continued and became more and more stringent. Now there were very few of the older models left, through natural deterioration and . . . other reasons.

HemiCharger
03-09-2008, 06:15 PM
I guess I will add some more here. Dodge should not make front wheel drive cars since they sell a huge amount of the rear wheel drive chargers/ 300s,,, I hate to break the news to you all you H8TERS but My Hemi charger with MDS gets 300-330 miles to a tank depending on how I drive it while my 240sx gets about the same 320-330 a tank. The Charger has a 17.5 gallon tank while the 240 has a 13.5 gallon tank. So if you do the numbers that means around a 5 mpg difference. Now with the VTC Hemi MDS technology coming on board there will be even better fuel economy. The difference iin price per gallon is about 9-10 dollars per tank. So, I hate to break the news to all you close minded fools but these are FACTS. Also a fact is the 5.7 liter MDS hemi makes 390 ft pounds of torque. What does Nissan motors make and even supped up RBs don't make that and for sure get the gas mileage the stock Hemi does.

I see soooo much wrong information on this board it is not even funny. You know what as well nobody on the Hemi or Vette boards talk smack about Ricers or JDM tyte euros but you all here sure do hate you some domestic muscle cars.. I do not understand it? I should have read more before I started posting here or I should have picked a different screen name. Something like SRTYTE, 2litersof pop, turboSR, RBdet4u, something other than HemiCharger.
I get roughly 19-20 mpg in the Charger overall and around 25 mpg in the 240zx. That equates to around a 5 mpg difference.

silviaguy240
03-09-2008, 07:19 PM
um what the fuck are you raving about? no ones dissing chrysler you dipshit, they're actually praising them for keeping the rwd and posting information about the current situation. no one said they were getting shitty gas mileage, just that its ironic the government is increasing the safety standard which is making the vehicles heavier but wanting them to be more economic. open your eyes and read the damn thread before you flip out.

HemiCharger
03-09-2008, 08:02 PM
um what the fuck are you raving about? no ones dissing chrysler you dipshit, they're actually praising them for keeping the rwd and posting information about the current situation. no one said they were getting shitty gas mileage, just that its ironic the government is increasing the safety standard which is making the vehicles heavier but wanting them to be more economic. open your eyes and read the damn thread before you flip out.

It was this thread then another one where Chrysler and Nissan was going to join forces to make cars together -- my posts and statements in support of that is what lead to that great rep feedback I have. My screen name is the same for several 240 nissan forums. Besides your for sale threads and sponsors most of the information here is junk. I even think that it was in off topic forum where it was posted. The attitude on most of this board is that if it does not have rwd or was not built in japan then it is junk.

It is like when you all grow up, graduate from college, land a good job. Then you still like Nissan's and buy a 240sx, 300zx or 350z or whatever but wait you have several cars and maybe a truck. So, then your 240sx or 300zx is your fun car and you buy a Charger R/T, SRT-8, Challenger, new Camaro, GTO something American muscle and then the 240 forum bashes your car-- would you not take up for the American muscle car that you own as well?

You would like both cars or you would not own them. Right?

codyace
03-09-2008, 08:07 PM

Because 90 percent of drivers out there are simply ignorant shleps that want every creature comfort, electronic do dad, and safety device under the sun.

Essentially: I find it funny how the average consumer is uber concerned with goign green, and being economical, but still refuse to give up their heated seats, navigation, 18 airbags, bose radio, sun roofs, automatic rear windows, etc etc.....

fliprayzin240sx
03-09-2008, 09:31 PM
So anybody hear if they gonna follow with this plan on the Dodge Demon??? I hope they changed their fucking minds again and keep it RWD like it was originally intended to be. The fuck is the point of designing that car RWD and getting us all aroused, then changing the production to FWD???

HemiCharger
03-09-2008, 10:07 PM
So anybody hear if they gonna follow with this plan on the Dodge Demon??? I hope they changed their fucking minds again and keep it RWD like it was originally intended to be. The fuck is the point of designing that car RWD and getting us all aroused, then changing the production to FWD???

RWD cars are making a major comeback as more consumers are opting for that platform and from owning hondas in the past I can see why. FWD hondas are fun but RWD is where it is at.....

http://www.allpar.com/cars/concepts/dodge/demon.html

this should up date you on the demon. I believe before it is said and done most small car Chrysler production may come out of China. The 300/Charger/ Challenger platform is built in Canada but yet we get the cars for something like 10 grand less than Canadians do.. do not know why?

!Zar!
03-10-2008, 02:59 AM
HemiCharger: What the fuck are you talking about? Nobody said anything dissing your, "american power". You come over here talking HELLA smack then comparing your NEW cars gas mileage to a 20yr old car? Come one. We know what mileage the cars get.

Funny you think your american car is the shit.

Real men drive euro cars.

Rednecks play with loud ass hunks of metal.

exitspeed
03-10-2008, 08:43 AM
HemiCharger, WTH are you talking about? I know the other thread you are referring too, and you are just way off base. The fact that you Hemi almost gets as good of gas mileage as a 240 has nothing to do with this thread.

The good news is Ghosn is no longer interested in partnering with Chrysler. Even though it would have been advantageous for Nissan to do so for the trucks, anything beyond that would be a disgrace to Nissan.

Nissan has been close to bankruptcy before and with GOOD cars people want to buy they dug themselves out. Partnering with a company (Chrysler) in shambles would be a disaster IMO.

You post has NOTHING to do with this thread. I suggest if you'd even remotely like to continue to post here, you stay on topic.

HemiCharger
03-10-2008, 09:15 AM
Real Men huh... I guarantee you that I pull more trim in my American Hunk of metal than you ever could in your 20 year old euro car. The Charger may be a redneck car but it does not have to be modified to make powerful numbers. It is a lot better and faster than any car in its class. I will just come here to read the for sale stuff and sponsor stuff as far as posting here I am done...

You guys kill me -- you soooo freakin brave then go race an SRT-8 or GTO, G8 or a new Challenger then report back to RICER central and let me know how it worked out for you.

Redneck and hunk of metal -- no respect for modern muscle cars much less the classic muscle cars they represent. I guarantee you one thing -- No Japanese euro car will ever sell for 1 million dollars not in 30 or 40 years..... and Barrett Jackson would not touch any Japan car..

exitspeed
03-10-2008, 09:22 AM
as far as posting here I am done...

Thank you...You obviously have no sense of humor or social skills.

Peace. :wavey:

!Zar!
03-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Real Men huh... I guarantee you that I pull more trim in my American Hunk of metal than you ever could in your 20 year old euro car. The Charger may be a redneck car but it does not have to be modified to make powerful numbers. It is a lot better and faster than any car in its class. I will just come here to read the for sale stuff and sponsor stuff as far as posting here I am done...

You guys kill me -- you soooo freakin brave then go race an SRT-8 or GTO, G8 or a new Challenger then report back to RICER central and let me know how it worked out for you.

Redneck and hunk of metal -- no respect for modern muscle cars much less the classic muscle cars they represent. I guarantee you one thing -- No Japanese euro car will ever sell for 1 million dollars not in 30 or 40 years..... and Barrett Jackson would not touch any Japan car..
Why in the world do you continue to compare your NEW car to cars that are 20 years old with a KBB that isn't even worth the price of the oem wheels on your car?

Quote me for where I said anything about japansese euro car, please. WTF is a japanese euro car anyways!?

My 20yr old rice car or whatever isn't my old car. If I was trying to make girls wet and get ass by rolling around in a 240 then I'd have to be a moron.

A car that is faster than yours? Sure. If your're ever in the bay, we car hit up a race track. Drag or Road course. Your choice.

flip3d
03-10-2008, 09:48 AM
Wow. The Demon is nice. Put a Hemi in it and you're golden.

flip3d
03-10-2008, 09:51 AM

You don't act like you're 32. Why do you associate cars with racing? Barrett Jackson auctions off rare original cars. And good... Dont post here anymore.

exitspeed
03-10-2008, 09:51 AM
^
I wouldn't want such a large engine in a small car. That kinda destroys the whole persona of a roadster.

PRADOgy
03-10-2008, 10:17 AM

wow brother.. lol..

so ehem...

that jackson show.. yeah i dont think its gona exist 3 decades from now..

any who go compare w/e the fuck you want from the same class and year... i mean dont go say 240sx this then come out with a hoobtidy bla bla about your 07 or 08 American Muscle bullshit..

now when you say go race .. do you mean a no tallent cave man gas pedal slamming and fast shift gear grinding Ol 1320?

dude its all what your into, give a fuck what others think.. but put your car on a road course and watch that thing rock like a boat lol..

IStop4NoMan
03-10-2008, 10:33 AM
As both a nissan and dodge enthusiast, Hemicharger, you are way outa line. anyone can go out and buy a V8 and expect it to be fast. We dont go out and race SRT-8's, Gto's and so on because stock for stock, they would beat most small cars.
And i have actually gone up against a GTO before. my bone stock Sr20 at 7psi was only about 2 car lengths behind up to about 70. thats actually not bad when you think what he and i were putting to the wheels.
oh and if you think "nissan euro japanese" cars are so bad, good luck when the GTR comes out. i bet you dont have the balls to take your STR-8 up against one of those in ANY category. that would be about the same price difference as a 240 to your newer muscle cars btw.
Im a big fan of dodge, especially their trucks. but you are giving them a bad name from the way you talk about them

Yuri
03-10-2008, 11:49 AM
HemiCharger, if you looked around here a bit, you'd realize that every car on here is RWD, and that there are all types of car enthusiasts with a love for every type of car.

Also, most of us are not "ricers" as you so eloquently put it.
Owning a Japanese car does not make you a ricer any more then owning a musclecar makes you a redneck.

Listing Barret Jackson as a positive in my opinion is not exactly a good arguement. I think Barret Jackson has ruined the market for people who actually want to drive their musclecars, instead turning most fun musclecars into garage queens.

Maybe you missed the fact that most of us are happy that Chrysler will continue to build RWD cars. I myself will be ordering a 2009 Challenger R/T 6-speed Trakpak at the end of the year.

With all your gung ho American cars are the best, japanese cars are slow riceburners talk, you make it embarrassing for other people who actually own musclecars too and appreciate all types of cars.
In addition to my 240SX and a euro, I also own this;
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x158/DKapt/Yuri%20projects/Duster/Dusterbeachbright.jpg

So please stop making us all look bad, ok?

!Zar!
03-10-2008, 01:12 PM
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x158/DKapt/Yuri%20projects/Duster/Dusterbeachbright.jpg
I've been thinking about picking that up from you... hahaha. I have too many cars though.

HemiCharger
03-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Dodge Dart -- Right? Is it a 340 or 383??? I love the old mopars almost became the owner of a 68 roadrunner. I love old mopars. Man appologize to members of this board if I made comments that were way out of line -- a lot of it had to do with my rep power which is all in the RED. Oh well I do not care. As for cars I have a 92 accord with a jdm euro H22a in it, a ford f150, nissan 240sx , and a 07 charger r/t --- not an srt-8. I may be trading it in on a MDS auto 09 Challenger. I meant no disrespect but all you guys seem to talk about around here and give props to are japan rwd cars only and the opinion on Dodge around here was that they are second tier cars. I love my Charger and think it is nice I also like my 240sx which will be getting a skyline motor before long. I am a car enthusiast and all I saw around here was bashing on things non jdm.....

exitspeed
03-10-2008, 05:53 PM
I meant no disrespect but all you guys seem to talk about around here and give props to are japan rwd cars only and the opinion on Dodge around here was that they are second tier cars.

You have to remember...this IS a 240sx forum. You're not gonna get a LOT of people drooling over muscle cars. Even though some people do.

Yuri
03-10-2008, 06:00 PM
You have to remember...this IS a 240sx forum. You're not gonna get a LOT of people drooling over muscle cars. Even though some people do.

Kind of how I never go on Allpar or Moparts, expecting people to drool over built 240's. ;)