PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here have a Zune 2.0?

SimpleS14
02-15-2008, 06:25 AM
I made a thread almost two years ago about the Zune, but that was in relation to the 1st gen. Also it was because I was gauging interest to see if that would make a good gift. I opted to get a digital camera instead.

So now I'm here again making yet another thread to get some feedback on the 2nd gen Zune player. Right now at work its rather slow (since I'm on standby) and I've spent some hours reading reviews and comparing to other players. I'm not an audiophile, but I can definitely use something to listen to my MP3 while at work.

I'm eyeing the 80GB Zune because of its storage capacity and price point vs. some other players. The iPod Touch is hot...but its too ballin for me. For some reason I can't get iTunes to display the embedded album art on my MP3s or organize my music to my liking (WMP does a better job...and that's sad).

Does anyone have the 2nd gen Zune player? if so, what is your take on it?

Also if anyone has a recommendation for an alternative...let me know.

thelinja
02-15-2008, 08:17 AM
I have a 2nd Gen 30GB Zune and I like it a lot more than my previous iPods. I had 2 iPods fail on me in as many years which is why I chose to get a Zune. Overall, it seems a lot more durable than the iPod and the screen is nicer and more defined.

The only problem I have is the software that comes with it. Sometimes it won't let me edit tags, and it won't let you edit track numbers at all. I used to dislike iTunes until I had to use this MS software. Now I use iTunes if I'm listening to music while at my computer, and just use the MS software to change stuff on my Zune.

ZX88
02-15-2008, 10:05 AM
i know a guy that just got a zune 80gig its really nice. The only thing that i didn't like about it was that when i held it i felt that it was pretty light. And the software still needs some improvement.

SimpleS14
02-15-2008, 10:57 AM
When it comes to editing tags, I use mp3tag. It's a small program and I can embed album art onto the MP3. I tried out the Zune player software and its pretty straight forward, I wouldn't use it as my main media player though.

I don't mind it feeling light in my hands...think that will be a plus.

Thanks for the comments.

thelinja
02-15-2008, 10:59 AM
I was actually pretty annoyed when I found out you couldn't even use WMP with the Zune.

BustedS13
02-15-2008, 11:42 AM
here's some input.

the new ipod is a piece of shit. all of them. the interface is slow on the classic and nano. very slow. i'm getting tired of spinning my thumb around a circle to get where i need to be. it's not intuitive. it was just neat when i first saw it years ago. i've had a photo, a video, and now a 160gb classic. and i hate it. and it's going to break, because they just do. ipods suck balls.

i had a zune 30gb. it was nice. didn't feel as nicely made, but felt more durable. the interface ON THE ZUNE was excellent. everything ABOUT the zune, excellent. just the fact that when you play a song the screen is like 90% cover art gives everything a better feel.
unfortunately, the software was total garbage. worse than itunes, and that's saying something. i hate itunes.

the new zune is beautiful. i've played around with a couple of zune80's, and they're just great. navigation is slick, the interface is great, the device itself feels very nice. but i haven't tried the new zune software. if it's as bad as the old one, the hardware doesn't mean much.

that said, until the car audio industry catches up with the times, and that could be years, i'm stuck with ipod. my current ('08 model) pioneer head unit has usb input, but it only has ipod functionality, no zune functionality. you can plug in a hard drive if you want, too. and the ipod functionality on this head unit is leaps and bounds ahead of last years' models. you can search on the ipod or the head unit. you can scroll through letters on the head unit instead of artists, which used to take forever. it's quick. it's nice. but it isn't zune compatible. so until microsoft starts making head units, which i'm sure would stomp balls much like their zune and 360, i'm stuck with crapple. booooo.

so yeah, give the zune software a look, if you like it, the zune 80 is a great device.

lflkajfj12123
02-15-2008, 12:18 PM
can't you just buy the shit that broadcasts your mp3 to a radio station

Flipzide
02-15-2008, 12:31 PM
can't you just buy the shit that broadcasts your mp3 to a radio station

that's true, but there's a night and day difference of using a broadcaster thing and direct connecting it through a headphone port/usb/ipod cable that are built into a headunit.

my friend has one of the new zunes. it's pretty sweet. only thing keeping me from buying a zune is that my car's headunit has a built in ipod interface and it's too convenient to switch right now.

ManoNegra
02-15-2008, 02:01 PM
I made a thread almost two years ago about the Zune, but that was in relation to the 1st gen. Also it was because I was gauging interest to see if that would make a good gift. I opted to get a digital camera instead.

And I responded saying that I had gotten one as a gift. :w00t:
Still have it, still love it. Hasn't failed me yet. *knocks on wood*
I use Tag&Rename when I'm not feeling lazy to get my album tags just right.

LB.Motoring
05-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Just picked up a Zune 80gb today,

Playing with it as we speak...

SimpleS14
05-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Just picked up a Zune 80gb today,

Playing with it as we speak...

Feedback?

I was thinking about getting the Red 80GB...

LB.Motoring
05-23-2008, 06:39 PM
The red one is HAWT,

I was going to get it, but all my gadgets are satin black, so I had to keep it black,

Im throwing music on right now, Literally, I just bought it,

I will post back in here once I use it for a week or so,

I want to get it to work with the AVI outputs to my indash in my car, so I will be flucking with that soon, see how I can do videos on there and how it ends up looking....

S13Boosts
05-23-2008, 06:42 PM
zune member here to! fuck ipods! even tho i got one too haha!

S14monkey
05-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Are you looking for a mp3 player with a large hard drive? I have a 16 gb creative zen and it works great for me. Compact and easy to use. They also sell a 32gb version if you need more space. I have had a lot of postive experience with creative mp3 players. If youre looking for accessories though, pickings are slim.

SimpleS14
05-23-2008, 07:10 PM
Are you looking for a mp3 player with a large hard drive? I have a 16 gb creative zen and it works great for me. Compact and easy to use. They also sell a 32gb version if you need more space. I have had a lot of postive experience with creative mp3 players. If youre looking for accessories though, pickings are slim.

I had a creative unit before and it was quite nice. I'm looking at the Zune because its the second largest MP3 player that I can use to back up my entire music library and still have space for some vids if I go out of town.

Recently Apple released a 160GB version of the iPod Classic...but I really dislike the interface and I can't seem to adapt to iTunes (never picks up my album art).

It's definitely looking like I'm leaning to getting a Zune.

HyperTek
05-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Zune software sucks
i got the 30gig.. i know its not the new one, but hardware and software are the same.. some people put a bigger HD in the 30gig. If i could do it again, i would go with a ipod, i had an old ipod and i used 3rd party software for it which made it alot easier to keep track of mp3 tags etc..

Zunes are kinda big if you like to take it with you for a walk/run/work out.
And you cant remove the pre-installed songs/videos they put on em.

Im on my 3rd replacement 1st gen under warrentee, but im sure that wouldnt apply to the 2nd gen.

T00ch
05-24-2008, 06:11 PM
i got the little 8gb dood cuz i use it at the gym a lot and while working.
the software doesnt seem uber friendly as in organizing music. but uploading music to it is really easy. it gets annoying sometimes that its so small when im changing songs i almost have to squint when looking but you shouldnt have a prob with the screen on the 80 lol. they also are promoting something like $15 a month for unlimited downloads...although there is torrents and soulseek lol

LB.Motoring
06-01-2008, 07:21 PM
Zune software sucks
i got the 30gig.. i know its not the new one, but hardware and software are the same.. some people put a bigger HD in the 30gig. If i could do it again, i would go with a ipod, i had an old ipod and i used 3rd party software for it which made it alot easier to keep track of mp3 tags etc..

Zunes are kinda big if you like to take it with you for a walk/run/work out.
And you cant remove the pre-installed songs/videos they put on em.

Im on my 3rd replacement 1st gen under warrentee, but im sure that wouldnt apply to the 2nd gen.

Zune picks up my album art, and you can set backrounds with your own pictures and shit, its cool.

new zunes,

you can remove preloaded shit.

Oh one thing I absolutely hate,

HEADPHONES,

take them, wipe your ass with them, and flush.

Review Time:

Ive been using it for 2 weeks now.

Great, Need a fast computer to manage all the thizz, but I loaded about 55gigs on mine now.

Batterys fine, size is ok,

I bought a video out headphone cord to my dvd screen in my car,

Video out mode, AWESOME! I just look at my screen and the zune becomes a controller. I love it.

Overall, buy some ipod headphones and your set.