PDA

View Full Version : Bike riders, a few questions

yokotas13
02-13-2008, 10:10 PM
So, i want to get into riding, mainly aroudn the house, possibly a few trail rides.
But i dont want to spend over 600 including shipping (which ends up beign maybe 450-475?)

BUT, the most important question is this

Where can i shop that will ship to APO?

I am looking for a commuter bike mainly, that will see a small amount of offroad time maybe.

Also, what is the advatage of disk to normal type brakes?
all i know is disc looks cool
and none of this single gear bullshit trendy crap.

thanks guys

edit:

I was looking at a Scott Sub 20
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BI300B24-Scott+Sub+20+Classic+Bike+07.aspx

or reflex 45
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BI300B19-Scott+Reflex+45+Disc+Bike+07.aspx

but i really dont know wahts that great
im 6'
200lbs

blu808
02-13-2008, 10:18 PM
Basically besides the frame and the name on it you are paying for the components. If you are getting an offroad type of bike it will most likely have shimano components. It is a stage series. they start out at like the shimano alivio series, then move up to shimano lx, xt, and xtr. There is actually more but you get the idea.

For what you are going to be doing, anything brand name should be fine.

For brakes. Disc brakes look cool but the cheap ass ones dont work as well as a good rim clamp v brake setup.

Hope this helps ya out.

yokotas13
02-14-2008, 05:24 AM
hey, this is kinda important
if anyone can find someone to ship a Specialized mountain bike
either hardrock comp disk or HRXC sport disk to an APO
ill hook you the fuck up with some discounts on ish...

It will cost me almost 300.00 more to buy from here in japan.

fliprayzin240sx
02-14-2008, 06:12 AM
Why dont you pick up running you fat bastard?

cdlong
02-14-2008, 06:13 AM
i don't know how or why, but our BX had some cannondales for a while. maybe it's worth a look. there's always www.shipitapo.com.

Blu's right, for the type of riding you'll do, discs are a waste, and good V-brakes will be better than the cheap ones you'd get on a bike in your price range. as for advantages, they can be stronger because designers have more freedom with pad choice, line pressure, disc diameter, etc. they are more consistent because they don't get dirty and if you bend a wheel a little you can still ride. but none of that sounds like anything you'd care about.

yokotas13
02-14-2008, 06:16 AM
Why dont you pick up running you fat bastard?
i cant, my right knee doesnt like me to

S14DB
02-14-2008, 06:18 AM
Disk is good for heat soak and extended downhill. They will only be cool factor for you.

I'll contact my peeps and see if they can do APO/FPO.

yokotas13
02-14-2008, 04:00 PM
anyone? bueller

BustedS13
02-14-2008, 04:08 PM
hey, this is kinda important
if anyone can find someone to ship a Specialized mountain bike
either hardrock comp disk or HRXC sport disk to an APO
ill hook you the fuck up with some discounts on ish...

It will cost me almost 300.00 more to buy from here in japan.

specialized is the way to go for budget riding. my hardrock has lasted forever, great bike. when i was younger i used to go trail riding with it, i used to ride everywhere before i got my license. and then my girlfriend in college used it as a commuter for a couple years and it was outside in the weather 24/7. i got it back and turned it into a singlespeed, and it's still going. frame's pretty much invincible, it's taken a ton of beating.

even low end shimano stuff will get the job done without much issue, and on a budget, you'd be better off with regular old v brakes than discs.

AVOID GRIP SHIFTERS AT ALL COSTS. THEY ARE TOTAL BULLSHIT.

Trek is another good brand, my dad rides a Trek 850, and i recently picked up an old Trek 800 i plan to freshen up for trail riding.... got the whole bike for 30 bucks at a garage sale, gonna put some fresh components on it and beat it to hell.

yokotas13
02-14-2008, 04:28 PM
yeah, i THINK i may have a shop that will ship me a specialized, apparently dealers arent supposed to ship without the person there becuase of some rule or something.

i dunno

BustedS13
02-14-2008, 04:56 PM
a guy i know works at a bike shop in phoenix, let me get his contact info for ya.

cxlo8331
02-14-2008, 06:45 PM
there are other advantages to disc brakes aside from looks:
1) more stopping power (similar to motorcycle brakes.)
2) better brake modulation (you can vary the amount of pressure needed to apply to rhe lever in order to stop.)
3) less brake fading (because the rotor is closer to the center of the wheel, the source of friction or contact patch is not affected by dirt, grime, mud or water, which makes the system as a whole more effective.)
-Bombing downhill on regular v-brakes is scarry, especially if they are wet or wour wheels are muddy.

If you are just commuting around town, v-brakes will be fine, but if you ever plan to do some serious trail riding in the elements, i would recommend upgrading to a disc set up. The cost to upgrade is minimal, and if you find a local shop, you may be able to swap out the v-brakes for some decent mechanical disc brakes. Avid mehanical disc brakes w/ the 6 inch rotors are nice for trail riding and city commutes. And they are definately cheaper than a full hydraulic disc brake set up.

Oh yeah, grip shifters also have the advantage of allowing the rider to drop multiple gears at one time. As opposed to having to shift down gear by gear w/ standard trigger shifters.

You might also want to look into GIANT Bicycles. They make great bikes at a decent price point. The SCOTT's you are looking at are nice too. SCOTT does make quality bikes, so if you plan to go trail riding go w/ the reflex 45 because of the front shock, but if mainly pavement, the sub 20.

Here are some links for you:

MTB Review:
http://www.mtbr.com/
Shimano
http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/cycle/sac/us/en.html
Sram/Avid
http://www.sram.com/en/avid/index.php
Hayes
http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/index.shtml
Cambria
http://www.cambriabike.com/
Giant Bikes
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/
Scott Bikes
http://www.scottusa.com/

GL!
Let us know what you go with.

Bobafreak
02-14-2008, 07:02 PM
I want to ride a bike, i plan on getting a paul frank cruiser or a low rider bike later.

yokotas13
02-14-2008, 07:15 PM
im going to go with specialized 98% sure
just gotta find a way to get it

yokotas13
02-15-2008, 05:08 PM
thanks assholes

only person that stepped the fuck up is duke

S14DB
02-15-2008, 05:19 PM
thanks assholes

only person that stepped the fuck up is duke

Wow, way to be a douchebag. Made this shit yesterday and expect people to help you overnight for a hobby you are thinking about? You can count on me not talking to my friend this weekend.

yokotas13
02-15-2008, 05:27 PM
a little longer than overnight
Dukes got my back, bike is ordered and paid for. no big sham.

speedgod^s13
02-15-2008, 05:27 PM
I was reading this thread, and thought he was talking about motorcycles. Then he started talking about disk brakes, and I was like wtf is he talking about??!!! :keke:

worangejuice
02-17-2008, 01:07 AM
Jesus Christ those are some expensive bikes. I thought I could theow one together for like $200. I guess I still can if I hit up the garage sales. I want to get a "10 speed" I have no idea on bikes now, not since my Mongoose, when I was 13! I want to get back into them, bascially to customize them myself, for a hobby on a hobby. Where the fuck do I start? any info or flamage appreciated. By the by, I talked to a guy at skool about his fixed gear bike and hes said it only ran him 'bout $900. " Are you fucking kidding me" I said to myself. So yeah any info on the know how? Thanks!

BustedS13
02-17-2008, 01:57 AM
1.) what did you go with, OP

Jesus Christ those are some expensive bikes. I thought I could theow one together for like $200. I guess I still can if I hit up the garage sales. I want to get a "10 speed" I have no idea on bikes now, not since my Mongoose, when I was 13! I want to get back into them, bascially to customize them myself, for a hobby on a hobby. Where the fuck do I start? any info or flamage appreciated. By the by, I talked to a guy at skool about his fixed gear bike and hes said it only ran him 'bout $900. " Are you fucking kidding me" I said to myself. So yeah any info on the know how? Thanks!

900 on a fixie sounds fucked up to me. i know people who won't ride anything under like a grand, but the most expensive bike i've EVER HAD is my Specialized, and it was like $450 about ten years ago.
you do not have to spend serious money to have a fun bike. and if you're not sure how much you want to get into it, buying an old used bike is easily your best bet. if you don't mind getting dirty, learning how bikes work, and learning how to fine tune your components, you can build a reliable mountain or road bike for pretty cheap, easily under your $200 limit. like i said earlier, i have a Trek 800 sitting in the garage that i picked up for 30 dollars, and it's complete. if i didn't mind dated/worn deraileurs and brakes, i could go ride it right now. and the parts i want, i can buy cheap off ebay. people upgrade their brakes, their shifters, whatever, and sell the used stuff for next to nothing. or you can just buy new, because shimano equipment is reasonably priced to begin with.

www.performancebike.com has sick deals all the time. i've bought a lot of crap through them, they ship quick.

i guess my only real advice is to hit up some garage sales. find a bike that was ridden once and then given up on. they're everywhere. make sure the wheels are relatively straight, you can get small bends out with a spoke wrench pretty easily. and don't settle for a steel frame. aluminum frames became pretty common in the mid/late 90's and are abundant. they won't rust and they weigh nothing compared to some old steel bike. replace the tires/tubes with some cheapos from wal mart, fine tune the deraileurs, lube everything up, and you'll be good to go, for less than 50 bucks, pretty much guaranteed.

worangejuice
02-17-2008, 02:07 AM
kool!!!Thanks dude^^^^best advice yet!

jarober
02-17-2008, 08:28 AM
Specialized bikes are marked up. You are paying for the name when you can get a bike with the same components for much less. I ride Raleigh bikes and they have the same components as the specialized for a lot less. For instance, when I was shopping for a road bike. I picked up a Raleigh for half the price of the Specialized bike I was looking at.

Granted the specialized bikes are nice, but you can find a better deal. GO to a few bike shops are look for last year's models. They never sell out and they are always trying to get those out of the place. I picked up my Raleigh Mojave for 275 because it was last year's model. It has a nice front shock, disk brakes and is brand new.

cxlo8331
02-17-2008, 11:05 AM
check this out too!
http://wheelworld.com/index.cfm
lots of close outs and last years models at great prices.

yokotas13
02-17-2008, 06:08 PM
Specialized bikes are marked up. You are paying for the name when you can get a bike with the same components for much less. I ride Raleigh bikes and they have the same components as the specialized for a lot less. For instance, when I was shopping for a road bike. I picked up a Raleigh for half the price of the Specialized bike I was looking at.

Granted the specialized bikes are nice, but you can find a better deal. GO to a few bike shops are look for last year's models. They never sell out and they are always trying to get those out of the place. I picked up my Raleigh Mojave for 275 because it was last year's model. It has a nice front shock, disk brakes and is brand new.
i dont have the options you guys do

Basically, the shop we were going to buy from, are idiots. so i just bit the bullet, spent a hundred more or so and ordered one here
I got a specialized Hardrock sport, becuase hte Comp Disc was on backorder for like 2 months
SO im going to order a pair of wheels,a nd Avid BB7s, shimano LX deraileurs and call that shit a day.

the wife got a specialized Myka

BustedS13
02-17-2008, 06:39 PM
I got a specialized Hardrock sport

woot! that's how i roll

yokotas13
02-17-2008, 06:46 PM
i wanted to order hte Comp sport
but that shit was gonna take until end of march

fuck that

Tearlessj
02-17-2008, 08:54 PM
I've always liked specialized. I ride an Iron Horse and love it. What kinda wheels are you getting? I wouldn't think that you would need wheels, the ones it has should be just fine.

yokotas13
02-18-2008, 02:43 AM
nope, dont allow disk brakes
im getting htese
http://www.beyondoutside.com/BB/ItemDesc.asp?IC=WH-RynXl-XT756
they have been reccomended by alot of people

as well as Avid BB7 brakes, since everyone says they are just as good if not beter than the jucys, plus i don thave to worry about the cold with the hyro

Tearlessj
02-18-2008, 01:48 PM
I completely forgot about disk brakes = new wheels. lol I have BB7 brakes. 7" in the front and 6" in the back. Work awesome!

yokotas13
02-18-2008, 02:17 PM
yeah, i ordered hte brakes last night
and just ordered the wheels
i wlil be ordering XT or LX deraileurs next week most likely, along with new grips, and maybe new forks, i need a lockout option.

!Zar!
02-18-2008, 05:28 PM
If you know what you want, hit me up.

I could try and grab the stuff you need and ship it out to you...

I haven't read all of this thread.

Just feeling nice.

haha.

yokotas13
02-18-2008, 06:28 PM
if you can get ahold of some shimano LX front and rear deraileurs at a good price i could use those, i think thats one of my last items i want for now

BustedS13
02-18-2008, 07:05 PM
what deraileurs came on it?