PDA

View Full Version : Computer help very much needed!!! check it out

ByeByeSti
02-13-2008, 01:06 PM
okay so i was doing a system restore on my computer cuz it was acting weird. and in the middle of it i lost power since new hampshire is getting slammed with ice n snow n rain like there no tomorrow right now. so i went to go and turn it back on and a black screen comes up and says

"windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt.
<windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
please re-install a copy of the file above"

the i cannot get to the main windows screen or open it in safe mode that i have figured out...:aw: :aw:

someone please help me with this haha. oh and keep the flamming to yourself im no bill gates here

Brandon
02-13-2008, 03:22 PM
Most likely you're going to have to re-install Windows using the original install CD. I'll test it on my computer because I know there's a way to restore the file from the Windows CD, but it probably won't be the same version and may not work.

kingkilburn
02-13-2008, 03:40 PM
^ he is right. You'll have to pop in your windows cd and go from there. If you're lucky all your data will be fine(you did back it all up right).

If your power goes out often enough that it is a problem you should invest in a backup battery.
http://www.google.com/products?num=100&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=iBQ&q=computer+backup+battery&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf

lol there's a smiley in the url

ByeByeSti
02-13-2008, 03:47 PM
thanks guys, i think if i could get to the windows screen id be good, or to open it in safe mode. but i didnt have everything backed up. all i need to do is just replace that file if theres a way to get around it. cuz riht now im on my dads computer and he will prob kill me if he comes home to me on it haha

Edgar
02-13-2008, 03:58 PM
I was kinda having the same problem. Check your drivers, make sure all your hardware is well installed.

ByeByeSti
02-13-2008, 04:00 PM
problem is i cant go anywhere. i turn the computer on and within 10 seconds that message pops up. i press any keys while its up. and it just restarts.. i hate newhampshire haha

Edgar
02-13-2008, 04:12 PM
Hummm

Format that shit.

kingkilburn
02-13-2008, 04:17 PM
The only thing I can think of is to copy the file from another hard drive but there is no telling what else is missing or altered from the system restore. The only thing that I see working is booting your computer with the cd in.

ByeByeSti
02-13-2008, 04:36 PM
holy shit! i fixed it hahaha, i put in disc one of system recovery then went house on f9-f10-f11-f12 and then some recovery screen came up and it said it wasnt able to finish the system restore and to back it up to another date, so thank you guys things good to go now. back to posting :)

thread can be closed thanks

Brandon
02-13-2008, 07:44 PM
Good to hear man, I knew there was a way to fix it that was easier than what I suggested, just had a brain fart.

ByeByeSti
02-13-2008, 09:06 PM
yup, we all do at times :) thanks again