PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else catch this on the news?? 911 emergency fuck up

240love
02-11-2008, 09:17 PM
I hope those people got fired or put to jail or something.

911 Operator Puts Caller on Hold; Woman Dies in Fire

DOYLESTOWN, Pa. — A disabled woman who called 911 to report a fire in her bedroom was put on hold and later died in the blaze, a newspaper reported.
It took seven rings — about 27 seconds — before a 911 operator picked up the call from Brenda Orr, according to The Intelligencer of Doylestown. Orr was then put on hold for another 27 seconds, the paper reported Friday.
Orr died in the Jan. 29 fire.

"We're concerned about the minute that's missing," Doylestown Police Chief James Donnelly said this week. "Had we had that minute, I'm not saying for sure that we could have saved her, but we would have been a minute closer."
Police, fire and emergency services logs show agencies were dispatched to Orr's Doylestown home at 10:33 a.m., two minutes after she called 911. Firefighters arrived on the scene at 10:35 a.m. It took them more than 30 minutes to get most of the fire extinguished.
Donnelly said the fire was caused by careless smoking, though the official fire report leaves the cause as undetermined. A friend of Orr's told police that Orr, who had multiple sclerosis and was bed-bound, had a habit of smoking in bed.
/**/
Bucks County officials acknowledged proper procedures were not followed in responding to Orr's call, but would not discuss the case in detail.
The Intelligencer used a right-to-know request to obtain the emergency communications log, a police report, the county fire marshal's report, internal police memos and a recording of the 911 call

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg0JZn5_bnE

Gnnr
02-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Thats terrible. Is that a small town or something? Maybe the center is not properly staffed...

240love^_^
02-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Oh man thats horrible.

soon2bs13
02-11-2008, 10:35 PM
video no longer available.

smoking kills.

eastcoastS14
02-11-2008, 10:51 PM
doubt anything will come of this...they showed up a minute late because of it to a fire that took 30mins to put out....a minute wouldnt have made much of a difference. I also know people that have been put on hold by 911 too, it happens

zeitgeist
02-11-2008, 11:16 PM
Alot of stations need alot more people in 911 centers but the city is too cheap. Majority of the time these people are way overworked and are trying to handle 3-4 calls at a time. Too bad something like that had to happen though

alindeman1989
02-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Man thats awful.

HyperTek
02-12-2008, 08:47 AM
they ask you if its an emergency when you call, maybe she underestimated the situation. sadly it cost her.

Hopefully that 911 call center will learn from this and improve upon it.

but people always look for someone to blame when something happens.. still she shouldnt have been smoking in bed...

ByeByeSti
02-12-2008, 08:53 AM
ouch, that sucks! also with that one that there should be more operators on call or on duty for 911. people should not be put on hold

jeeper_x
02-12-2008, 09:28 AM
i think some of the 911 operators ask the most stupid and unnecessary questions.....

operator - "911, wat's your emergency?"

a man - "HELP, there are 20 cholos running after me trying to kill me!!"

operator - "Sir, i need you to calm down and tell me your name."

a man - "I'm at Norwalk and Carson in Hawaiian Garden"

operator - "No, sir. i don't need your location at this moment. I need your name at this time. And can you describe what these cholos look like?"

*but, yea....i think it's the lady's fault this time...
i mean shit, if you need to smoke on your bed....
then be more careful....

Dirty Habit
02-12-2008, 09:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9JWNdAX6jI

Yuri
02-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Sounds like SoCal.
I witnessed a 52 car pile-up on the freeway, and called 911 while cars were still slamming into each other.
I got put on hold even though the operator could hear the sounds of cars crashing.
I waited for 15 minutes on hold before I finally said screw it and hung up.

jackjack
02-12-2008, 12:12 PM
someone needs to get fired. thats a job you cant fuck around in.

Jung918
02-12-2008, 12:20 PM
^ like said before, they could have been understaffed and overworked.
What is disturbing is that the video was taken off of you tube and the investigation is made private. Even if the operator is found to be at fault, it will probably get swept under the rug like most of the shit the government does.

kouki_s14
02-12-2008, 02:41 PM
everytime i've tried to call 911 using my cell phone, it has NEVER gone through

fc3s kit
02-12-2008, 10:38 PM
Y'know the signs on the freeways that say to call 911 for drunk drivers? I always do and NOTHING ever happens. I call, get put on hold for 15 mins, give an accurate description of the make and model, then watch as this person drives from Irvine to Downtown weaving, drifting, and almost hitting people the entire way. Now my girlfriend laughs every time she sees one of those signs.

Gnnr
02-13-2008, 12:15 PM
I never had any of those problems, I guess the emergency call centers down here are well staffed since I always get right through, even on a Cell. Only time I was on hold is when I called the non-emergency police number.

steve shadows
02-13-2008, 12:29 PM
Yeah there have been several of these lately.

LIke this little kid called in to save his mom and the operator hung up on him because she thought it was a prank.

The mother would have been alive. Now she's dead.

ravinaziankid
02-13-2008, 01:10 PM
That really sucks...why would you put someone on hold that's calling 911 emergency? Every minute counts during an emergency.