PDA

View Full Version : paypal owned me

jt1583
02-09-2008, 05:13 PM
I hit send on a $700 transfer then hit cancel. It told me my payment was cancelled. So I sent it again. It took the $700 from me twice though.

This caused my checking to overdraft. Got charged $35 from the bank for this. Do you think paypal should pay that?

Logically I don't see how they have an argument. They told a customer there payment was CANCELLED then took $700. They keep telling me on the phone "no sir theres actually no way to cancel a payment once you've hit send". The fact of the matter is it doesn't matter how your business actually works it's what the end customer sees. It's like the Mcdonalds scalding coffee case. It doesn't matter that the customer should know the coffee is hot and shouldn't pour it on themselves, it matters that the coffee cup says it's hot.

yokotas13
02-09-2008, 05:16 PM
i think you are just stupid;

you have no basis of claim. your the idiot that did an instant transfer if you only have 700 bucks anyways.
shouldnt you be saving money if 1400 puts you in overdraft?

chibo
02-09-2008, 05:19 PM

you have no basis of claim. your the idiot that did an instant transfer if you only have 700 bucks anyways.

Since, you know, everyone keeps their money in checking instead of savings where it should be.

DreamN
02-09-2008, 05:21 PM

^ Ditto. Canceling a payment that has just been sent and expecting "X" of money to be free of any hold is simply you not knowing what the fuck you're doing.

240love^_^
02-09-2008, 05:22 PM
Awwww...man that sucks big time.
Should they pay for it? Yeah!!!
Will they? It depends.
Just keep on bitching to them....
and I am sure they will budge. Hopefully.
Good luck with getting your money back.

Yeah Paypal sucks!

Matej
02-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Did you get the 700$ back? If not, contact whoever you sent it to, I'm sure they'll see you sent it twice by accident and they'll send you the money back. As for the overdraft fee, just live with it, I know it's not fair but errors happen.

eastcoastS14
02-09-2008, 06:22 PM
if you hassle the bank enough theyll take the overdraft off....call and if they tell you they cant do it ask to speak to their supervisor...eventually youll get someone who will most likely just take it off. My mom has got bullshit charges from banks and shit and just basically wouldnt take no for an answer and they eventually give in if you get the right person on the phone

drift freaq
02-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Paypal will do nothing for you in this situation as they see it as a user error. Your bank most likely will refund the bounce fee, if they really want your business. They will probably tell you its a one time deal they are doing for you.
Though like other people have said, never hit send twice. Unless your absolutely sure you can either cover twice, or the previous transaction after being cancelled has rescinded back to your account.

Fact is paypal is known for being notoriously slow on processing transactions back and transfers to banks. Its part of how they make their money. The longer the transaction takes the more time they have to make high dollar, high interest short term loans with everyones cash.

A normal bank wire transfer happens almost instantly unless its from overseas, yet wire money into your bank from paypal takes 2-3 business days! Hmmmm? LOL

jt1583
02-09-2008, 08:07 PM
it is a checking account. I thought about the money getting sent twice but i thought seeing "Your payment has been cancelled" meant something...

They gave me the $35 for the overdraft fee when I talked to a nice person. Still waiting on the merchant for the other refund.

ALEXTHESUS*PECT
02-09-2008, 08:07 PM
Paypal will do nothing for you in this situation as they see it as a user error. Your bank most likely will refund the bounce fee, if they really want your business. They will probably tell you its a one time deal they are doing for you.
Though like other people have said, never hit send twice. Unless your absolutely sure you can either cover twice, or the previous transaction after being cancelled has rescinded back to your account.

Fact is paypal is known for being notoriously slow on processing transactions back and transfers to banks. Its part of how they make their money. The longer the transaction takes the more time they have to make high dollar, high interest short term loans with everyones cash.

A normal bank wire transfer happens almost instantly unless its from overseas, yet wire money into your bank from paypal takes 2-3 business days! Hmmmm? LOL

there is the right answer right there!
moving on to the next thread.......:hsdance:

ROIDMONKEY
02-09-2008, 08:28 PM
sooo pathetic calling paypal. they don't speak English . they are like in Thailand or other country, and if u get lucky the communication is very bogus the earphone thing the operator is using sound like shit .

ESmorz
02-09-2008, 09:57 PM
You owned yourself with paypal...

jt1583
02-09-2008, 10:40 PM
the thing is it's not a user error. They said a payment was cancelled and then took the money.

I know it is stupid and I probably could have prevented it if i was not rushing. But you can't say cancelled and then take the money. It's not like they took the money with the intent to return it since they said cancelled. They said cancelled then sent the money. It's definitely not working as intended.

lflkajfj12123
02-09-2008, 11:07 PM
always double check everything before sending a payment

and you should have a savings account with enough money in it hooked up to you checking account incase you overdraft

tsk tsk

David Steele
02-10-2008, 12:10 AM
Deal with your bank not Paypal like several have said you can get your money back I'd say it's fraudulent .

sc ka24e
02-10-2008, 12:19 AM
had the same thing happen only the seller gave me the wrong address at first.. and whoever said they dont speak english is incorrect ... called them up told them my situation were helpfull and had my money back in 3 days............... call yur bank up as well go in the branch in person and let them know the situation... dont let them see u give in easily and done...............................

Pepperoni
02-10-2008, 12:31 AM
Paypal:
1st page = input email and $ amount, can only click 1 button "Continue"
2nd page = review and add msg, can only click 2 buttons, "Send Money" and "Cancel"
3rd page = (if you click "Send Money") Money sent! no button for "Cancel"

So...
You owned yourself

I highly doubt PayPal will pay for anything.

ryguy
02-10-2008, 02:26 AM
When I had to call paypal they spoke english just fine. I thought I was speaking to an American.... either way you should look into overdraft protection. My bank covers me free of charge to $1000, but theres some hefty interest involved if I dont pay it back right away.

jt1583
02-10-2008, 10:38 AM
I highly doubt PayPal will pay for anything.

They gave me the $35 for the overdraft fee

Paypal:
1st page = input email and $ amount, can only click 1 button "Continue"
2nd page = review and add msg, can only click 2 buttons, "Send Money" and "Cancel"
3rd page = (if you click "Send Money") Money sent! no button for "Cancel"

you hit send, it pauses, you hit cancel, it says payment cancelled. You guys who are arguing that this is not something wrong with paypals infrastructure are wrong. Show this to one of their engineers I guarantee he will say that it is not working correctly. That's even what they said on the phone to me....

you didnt see my screenshot... it has the screen where it TOLD ME it was cancelled. Then they took my money. That is wrong...

S14DB
02-10-2008, 10:41 AM
Just tell your bank it was a double bill. Two identical charges from the same company at the same time should apply. Goto the branch and ask.

jt1583
02-10-2008, 11:14 AM
lol i already got the $35 from paypal. i dont care = /

even though i would say it's paypals fault and not the bank. not saying the bank wouldn't correct it.

azndoc
02-10-2008, 11:15 AM
That sucks.

Paypal does suck a lot of times.

But this was actually a user error.

At least your bank gave you the $35 back.

GL with the merchant though.

fliprayzin240sx
02-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Paypal just fucked me 2x...guess i clicked on the wrong account when I sent money. The account I charged it to was short by $1.12. Guess how much my bank charged me for that? $30. So I went and fixed it, what did paypal do? They tried to collect on the original one (even tho i fixed it) on the account that bounced...so now im assed out $60 because of it.

yokotas13
02-10-2008, 03:48 PM
Since, you know, everyone keeps their money in checking instead of savings where it should be.
ive got 2gs in my checking at all times....quite more in savings

zeitgeist
02-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Im not a big fan of paypal. If I do use it I will only use a credit card or a gift card. This way if you make a mistake or get scammed you are more likely to get your money back. Use your checking account and your pretty much screwed the majority of the time.

DreamN
02-10-2008, 04:38 PM
^ same with me. I hate the long processing plus it's definitely in your favor if you use one.

ByeByeSti
02-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Paypal is sketchy i dont like dealing with something that you cant physically see or get into contact to easily with

PITCH
02-10-2008, 07:32 PM
I guess this is the paypal skrewed thread. Brought an item from a seller like any other FS: thread and used paypal. NOW, because they said that the purchase was NOT though eBay the refund is not covered. $250 worth of parts, seller never sent them, filed a compaint with paypal, since sellers account has no balance they WILL NOT refund the payment I made untill his account has a balance.

Note: don't pay for anything with paypal unless through ebay if you want their coverage on the payment.:mad:

max2damax
02-11-2008, 01:56 PM
you hit send, it pauses, you hit cancel, it says payment cancelled. You guys who are arguing that this is not something wrong with paypals infrastructure are wrong. Show this to one of their engineers I guarantee he will say that it is not working correctly. That's even what they said on the phone to me....

you didnt see my screenshot... it has the screen where it TOLD ME it was cancelled. Then they took my money. That is wrong...

Ok, is this what happened, when you clicked "send money" you quickly realized you were wrong and hit the cancel button before the current page went away?, if so, it was your bad, yes you got the payment canceled page but that was because you clicked on the cancel button which in theory it still had the active link to that page, :confused: am I confusing you?, but at the same time paypal was already receiving the info about you sending the money. there is no cancel button after you send the money, (if you let the page load)

jackjack
02-11-2008, 03:02 PM
whenever ANYTHING says cancelled/cancel on it, i always double check my account info/history to make sure i'm not sending payment twice. its happened to me 2 or 3 times already. every time the payment went through on the 1st try. always double check.

jt1583
02-11-2008, 04:11 PM
ya but there is still some error on there part telling me the payment was cancelled. if i get screwed out of this money i'm going to be ballistic.

s13.dark1
02-11-2008, 08:37 PM
it kinda sucks but wat can u do but pay the fee and suckit up

kouki_style
02-11-2008, 09:51 PM
damn that sucks....