PDA

View Full Version : Car insurance question.

mangoes
02-06-2008, 11:56 PM
I have a question about car insurance. Can my name be put under my brother-in-law's car insurance? Will this raise his rates? Since were not immediate family, will there be any complications? I currently have a clean record and have been driving for about a year and 2 months, 17 years old. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

fliprayzin240sx
02-07-2008, 12:31 AM
Yes his rate will go up since your underage...not sure how much but itll be way cheaper than you trying to get insurance on your own.

The only thing is do you live with him? Thats the part thats kinda iffy, if you dont live with your brother, I dont see how it would be possible for him to add you to his coverage...

GabeS14
02-07-2008, 12:37 AM
but your rates will go down..and thats what matters..lol

driftn_silvia
02-07-2008, 12:49 AM
I currently have a clean record and have been driving for about a year and 2 months, 17 years old. !

so have u been licensed for about 1yr and 2 months then???
also have u had ins. since u got ur license thats if u have it???

mangoes
02-07-2008, 12:52 AM
Thanks for your responses.

I don't live with him. He lives in Taiwan for 4-6 months at a time so while he is in Taiwan his car just sits there at his grandparent's house. I currently need a daily driver so I was thinking maybe I could pay him to drive the car (sorta like renting his car I guess) and eventually I can just purchase the car from him if I can make the payments every month. I just want to start out renting the car from him first and later on purchase the car if possible since he wants to sell it.

Currently, my parents won't let me buy another car because they don't want me making payments on something (they would have to buy the car and I would have to pay them). But, if it is family, they might be OK with it.

mangoes
02-07-2008, 12:54 AM
so have u been licensed for about 1yr and 2 months then???
also have u had ins. since u got ur license thats if u have it???

I am currently under my mom's insurance.

driftn_silvia
02-07-2008, 01:03 AM
theres many options you can use...it all depends on the ins. co. your brother in law has...certain companies have permisive use which lets other drivers that are not listed on the policy use the vehicle. and should cover the vehicle in case of an accident, but your ins. policy comes secondary thats if u have collision and otc.

you can add youself to the policy to play it save....but the premium will depends on what vehicle it is, and if its full coverage and what type of coverages it has...since you are 17yrs old and you have had ins. since licensed it might help but on average just for LIABILITY ONLY runs at 110-150 a month. for your age

DoriftoPnoy
02-07-2008, 01:03 AM
interesting. me and my bro bought our own insurance since our dad was being a douche. we ended saving by switching and still having full coverage. i guess it just depends where you shop and etc...
btw im only 20 and i currently have 1 point on my record.

GabeS14
02-10-2008, 08:57 PM
I had AIG for 1 year i paid 72 bucks for full coverage 500deduct..with no point on my record
now i have 3 points, and pay 140 full coverage, 500deduct, with progressive..

they seem to be the best when you have from 2-3 points..
in december all my points go away and my insurance drops to $90 a month..
they also cover up to 1000 in aftermarket parts..and they dont use kelley blue book they use edmonds i think..the 240's are worth more than 2000 more then kelley rating..so a 97 S14 is worth over 8000, plus 1000 for aftermarket stuff..