PDA

View Full Version : speeding ticket

94cc0rd
02-06-2008, 02:32 AM
hey... so yea, i got a speeding ticket on my way home from work just now...

If any of you are familiar with socal, I work in Riverside and live in Upland.

I was on the 15 north in Norco around 2nd ave. Cop pulls up behind me and pulls me over, tells me i was going 83. After he wrote up the ticket, i ask him how he got my speed and he said he was pacing me...

Now... just a few questions...

what's the best way to go about this so it doesn't show up on my record or does minimum damage towards my insurance or whatnot..?

How do I contest the ticket? just show up to court and say I want to fight it?

this is my 2nd speeding ticket. the first one i got when i was 17 and the judge at juvy court didn't let me take traffic school to get rid of the point on my driving record. I am 21 right now, and i haven't gotten any other moving violations...

will i be able to do traffic school to get rid of the point on my record?
how can i reduce the fine i have to pay?
what other steps can i take to benefit myself in anyway?

really... any advice will help me... fuck... long ass day, ending like this... sucks :-/

rainier
02-06-2008, 02:38 AM
if you do end up having to pay, just do community service to pay it off. my speeding ticketing that was labeled 90mph+ had me working i believe 3 days of community service. 8 hours each.

worangejuice
02-06-2008, 02:39 AM
Plead no contest at the hearing, and ask the judge politely for traffic school in order to keep it off you're record. You can even do an online coure in one sitting instead of the 8 hour saturday class. this is you're best option. Even better would be if you show up and the cop does not, rare, but possible , just show up and hope for the best. Be polite, and not just another "street racing punk". EVEN better is if there is a stand in attorney trainging to be a judge then you may be dismissed. But yeah, most likely plead o contest and take traffic school, it's been long enough. I have been through the ringer a time or two. GL!

94cc0rd
02-06-2008, 02:42 AM
Ok, so I've heard that if you contest the ticket and the officer who cited you does not show up, you get dismissed with no ticket or fine or whatever?? Is this true?

Also, what happens if the officer does show?

94cc0rd
02-06-2008, 02:43 AM
if you do end up having to pay, just do community service to pay it off. my speeding ticketing that was labeled 90mph+ had me working i believe 3 days of community service. 8 hours each.

Can you choose what 3 days you can do it? If it's assigned days, it probably won't fit into my schedule...

but... You did 24 hours of community service and didn't have to pay a dime for the actual speeding ticket?

eastcoastS14
02-06-2008, 02:52 AM
IIRC it has to be a stopped measurement.....same thing happened to a friend of mine's father...got pulled over by a cop who was going about the same speed and told him he was speeding..he said "well doesnt it have to be a stopped measurment" and the cop ended up tearing up the ticket....

94cc0rd
02-06-2008, 02:56 AM
So... If I go to court and say, I don't think the cop's measurement of my speed was accurate, will this get me off the hook? Sounds too easy to be true...

My neighbor is a retired cop, would he know anything about this stuff?

worangejuice
02-06-2008, 02:59 AM
ask the neighbor, it's not really that easy.

rainier
02-06-2008, 03:05 AM
you assign your own days. go when you want. the judge will tell you to go to a community service center.

then you can talk to them about scheduling. you have like a month or two to do the hours you need.

or what you can do is work one day, and pay the rest. or work two days etc.

judge usually determines how much you have to pay if you say you want to work most of it off or something.

dont hope that the cop just lets you off with it cheaper ticket cause they wont make it cheaper.

94cc0rd
02-06-2008, 03:20 AM
On another note, it is possible for me to get traffic school even though this is my 2nd speeding ticket?

I've heard that you can only use traffic school to get rid of a point on your first violation... but in my case, I wasn't able to do so...

kamikazekid
02-06-2008, 04:16 AM
Ok, so I've heard that if you contest the ticket and the officer who cited you does not show up, you get dismissed with no ticket or fine or whatever?? Is this true?

thats true, only if you fight it and hes not there. If hes there he can tell the judge whatever he wants and they will believe him so best thing to do in that case is no contest & traffic school.

fliprayzin240sx
02-06-2008, 07:26 AM
Yes, you can go to traffic school as long as you havent gone to one in less than 18 months. The only way you can go to traffic school within 18 months of each other is if the tickets you got werent on the same state, eg: 1 ticket was in cali and the other is in NV.

You got 2 options, 1 fight it and plead not guilty on your arraignment. This means they will schedule you again for another court date for the trial. If the cop doesnt show then, its thrown out. In some courts, the judge will ask you right there and then why you're pleading not guilty. They will either BS and scare you to make you not plead not guilty (they'll say you wont be able to go to traffic school if you lose the case, yada yada, scare tactic basically), or actually listen to your excuse/why it should be thrown out of court.

Or 2, pay the fine, go to traffic school, be assed out about $300 on fines and traffic school fee.

Also, take traffic school online, itll save you 7.5 hrs of your life. Takes 30mins on line vs 8 hrs for the actual class...

98s14inaz
02-06-2008, 08:48 AM
Not so sound like a dick but how fast were you "really" going? If you really were doing 80+ man up and pay it or take traffic school. Don't waste the court's time if you are truly guilty speeding.

buku_points
02-06-2008, 10:49 AM
i got pulled over around the 6th street on ramp buy a chp officer there too. same thing,i was speeding he was pacing.dont bother fighting it your gonna lose.plead guilty at your first apperance. if you plead not guilty what are you gonna tell the judge? his speedo was off? chp officers calibrate there cars 4 times a year to insure proper speed. either way good luck with your case.

LB.Motoring
02-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Do online traffic school,

I got a ticket like 2 months back for running a stop sign.

I have a link for you senett, it costed me 15 bucks, and It took about an hour to do.

EZ as pie.

soreballz
02-06-2008, 11:15 AM
ticketassassin.com

eli_eli
02-06-2008, 01:59 PM
it doesnt matter which speeding ticket it is, as long as you do traffic school...it will not show on your record...if you go to court and the officer does not show up, yes, you are dismissed, but if he does, idk i guess you might have a chance since he didnt clock you, but remember if you plead not guilty and the officer wins...you dont get to do traffic school, so if you did speed and he is there, might as well pay for the ticket and do some online traffic school which takes no more than an hr...gl bud

HyperTek
02-06-2008, 02:48 PM
you have to go to court first.. just go.. admit to it.. ask for traffic school.. and pay fines.. say you cant make a payment so they will let you do payments.. then meet a chick there, and take her home =p

speeding tickets is what, a few hundred? i got a ticket in the benzie b4 i got rid of it, for driving with a expired temp paper *even to i paid for registration and it was good* and my ticket is like $291.. grrr dunno how i can get out that one. I dont have hte papers anymore

SINxSELEKTAH
02-06-2008, 02:57 PM
1- go to the scheduled date of the court appearance and plead "NOT GUILTY"
2- they will schedual a court date for the case
3- GOOD LUCK!

my thoughts:
just plead "guilty" and pay the fine. IT MIGHT BE a lower fine than trying to contest it and end up being guilty. CHP lazers are extremely accurate and with cameras installed in CHP cars, the officer will report the drivin conditions at the time and other details that you wouldn't remember.

i was pulled over for speeding a few months ago in a residential area. the CHP officer was DRIVING in the other direction, flipped a bitch and pulled me over. he told me the EXACT speed in which i was driving. he let me go on a warning :bigok: so if you actually were speeding, i suggest you fess up before it costs you more than you want to pay

s13gold
02-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Fast life, I live, big cars, big cribs, speedin, I'm speedin, I can't stop it's all I know, from a youngin I was taught get doe, I'm speedin, speedin, I'm speedin. -

RICK ROSS FT. R. KELLY SPEEDIN'

LOL!

s13poop
02-06-2008, 03:01 PM
i got a speeding ticket recently

i paid for it and took the option for traffic school

the deadline came along and i didn't complete traffic school

is that bad?? :hs:

SINxSELEKTAH
02-06-2008, 03:02 PM

the deadline came along and i didn't do it

1 point on your driving record. traffic school keeps you from receiving that point

LB.Motoring
02-06-2008, 03:03 PM
No,

it just went on your record as a point,

Im not sure if you can still do it or not...

I didnt want a point on my license, just incase I do get pulled over, and I can tell the officer to check my record, sometimes it helps with getting warnings..

s13poop
02-06-2008, 03:04 PM
gahh that sucks :-/

ericcastro
02-06-2008, 04:47 PM

they ALWAYS show up. its Overtime for them.

+1 for the man above that posted .ticketassassin.com

94cc0rd
02-07-2008, 12:10 AM
yeah robby told me that cops now get paid to go to court in these instances.... I think I'll probably just pay the fine and do online traffic school...

Is there anyway I can get the fine reduced at all?

fliprayzin240sx
02-07-2008, 12:27 AM
Ask the judge and use the whole im a poor student excuse...doesnt hurt to ask. If that dont work start crying...

94cc0rd
02-07-2008, 02:09 AM
wow, so I just checked out ticketassassin.com and just reading through the info on that site, I learned a lot. Does anybody have personal experience with this website?

HyperTek
02-07-2008, 02:57 AM

the deadline came along and i didn't complete traffic school

dont worry man i did the same thing we in the same boat lol

Matej
02-07-2008, 04:34 AM
Get a traffic lawyer.

94cc0rd
02-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Get a traffic lawyer.

how much do they charge for their services? Is it really cost-efficient?

ericcastro
02-07-2008, 05:13 PM
My friend picked up a ticket in his BMW coming through one of the Malibu Canyons. Used ticket assasin and got it dropped.

So it does work. the only down side is that if you loose, then you pay the full fine amount.