PDA

View Full Version : S13 lower panel alternatives

g6civcx
01-29-2008, 06:28 AM
I'm talking about the lower panel between the taillights and the bumper on the S13. To me it's completely useless and serves no purpose other than adding weight (and making the taillights look flushed with the rear bumper).

I'm about to ditch it and seal up the holes, unless anyone has any interesting suggestion.

Comments? :sadwavey:

S13Dreamer
01-29-2008, 06:43 AM
yea, that lower panel seems to be pure asthetics. but if you've taken one off, it really doesn't weight all too much. maybe like 5lbs? if you have no regards for looks, then go for it and take it off. as an alternative, i'm thinking maybe a carbon fiber piece but i've never seen one. hmm... hope this helps :p

Bubba
01-29-2008, 07:01 AM
1... Cut some styrofoam to fit in the slot and cut them flush with the body.
2... Fiberglass that bitch.

Well, it really isn't that easy but I bet glassing it over would save at least half the weight after it was finished up.

If you had the resources to do so, an aluminum replacement would be sweet as hell.
I think I will just keep the POS where it is at though. If I ever get that far into weight reduction I'm sure I'll just ditch it anyways.

g6civcx
01-29-2008, 07:20 AM
I've taken everything off the car. Granted it doesn't weigh much, but it doesn't serve any functional purpose so I want to get rid of it and just patch up the mounting holes.

DaPCWiz
01-29-2008, 07:29 AM
I don't have an S13 hatch, so I've never actually seen the weight of this piece - but does it really way very much? will the replacement you are putting in there actually weigh LESS than the original piece? I doubt your weight savings will be more than a few ounces if any by trying to make your own piece for there.

I could be wrong tho - like I said I've never pulled that piece from an S13 hatch.

Bubba
01-29-2008, 07:34 AM
Coupes have one as well, just not as big.

DaPCWiz
01-29-2008, 07:35 AM
Coupes have one as well, just not as big.

lol now I need to go back and look at my coupe. It sits in a garage in pieces so I don't look at it much. :keke:

HyperTek
01-29-2008, 08:27 AM
might as well remove the rear bumper cover and door skins since they are asthetics too..

come on this is silly. If your doing this to remove weight, theres better things you can remove besides this.

g6civcx
01-29-2008, 08:52 AM
might as well remove the rear bumper cover and door skins since they are asthetics too..

come on this is silly. If your doing this to remove weight, theres better things you can remove besides this.

Rear bumper cover has to stay but the bumper support has been removed. Ditto on doors.

What else?

DaPCWiz
01-29-2008, 09:00 AM
Rear bumper cover has to stay but the bumper support has been removed. Ditto on doors.

What else?

so that if you spin out and tap something or someone rear ends you there is nothing to help absorb the impact and your chassis bends right away?

HyperTek
01-29-2008, 09:22 AM
talking about this right?
http://i5.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/d5/fa/5a52_2.JPG
i just ment its kinda silly as far as removing this piece for weight savings.. Its not like removing the headlight center piece on a s13 silvia front to allow more airflow.

LongGrain
01-29-2008, 09:44 AM
pointless to remove IMO.

its not going to save enough weight to be worth your time, and your car is going to look silly without it.

g6civcx
01-29-2008, 11:31 AM
so that if you spin out and tap something or someone rear ends you there is nothing to help absorb the impact and your chassis bends right away?

Exactly right.

I asked for rear panel opinions, not for what you would do with your car and your own money.

PoorMans180SX
01-29-2008, 12:00 PM
I think it weighs about 1lb. If this is weight savings for a hardcore track car, then go ahead. Otherwise, leave it in.

Sir
01-31-2008, 09:11 AM
how is this in Tech? It belongs in Chat.
Take it off if you want to. There isn't anything to replace it.

Risu2112
01-31-2008, 11:44 AM
If you remove that piece you're going to ruin your aerodynamics while driving in reverse, probably reduce your fuel efficiency by 1 or 2 % while backing up. All bad.

Seriously though even for a track car leave it in, that piece puts you one pound closer to 50/50 distribution!

>.>