PDA

View Full Version : Why did you get a 240sx?

Pages : [1] 2

Sliders562
01-18-2008, 12:18 PM

I got a 240sx because my brother told me to! haha :squintd:

[my first 240sx was a dohc 92]
[now i roll 240sx sohc]

reasons: I wanted a 2 door sports car, hatchback style

brother told me: hey its better then a civic stock hatchback and don't be like the other people in long beach with the hondas.

Therefore without my brother advice i wouldn't be here.

By the way the past:
i owned a corolla 90, AE91 heck yea.

honda accord 94-97 headlight conversion with wrx sti tail-lights
custom bodykit done by my cousins, nephew, relatives, and I.
Full Air ride Suspension.

Loved it, hate it, droved it.

Someone hated my ghetto style so much apparently they ended up smashing it to make me not want to go on, never found out who did it but it messed up my motor and ruin its true form.

i'll try to find a picture later on. and for the first 240sx looks i have to dig in the old ancient hard drives lol. and yes some parts of my car from 2004 are still intact = P

buku_points
01-18-2008, 12:19 PM
I got one because im a fan boy!

VROOOM
01-18-2008, 12:19 PM
it was my first car back in 1996. no aftermarket at all back then.

luisgonz
01-18-2008, 12:22 PM
I dont even know why I got them, I love my fd3s more then these shit piles.LOL If I decided to sell them Im going to get a low ball offer, Fd3s will always hold its value.

Dousan_PG
01-18-2008, 12:23 PM
easiest drift car to buy
abundant
parts easy to access
easy to mod
easy to drift
and looks awesome.
and cheap

exitspeed
01-18-2008, 12:23 PM
I wanted a inexpensive car that was run to drive and not FWD. My research brought me to three cars; 240sx, MR2 Turbo, and a Miata.

The 240 was the most affordable of the three and had/has the largest aftermarket.

Bought my first hatch in 03 and never looked back.

Rob's S14
01-18-2008, 12:24 PM
I got mine because not that many people had one, and they still don't. Although there are a lot more conversions now.

lovely240
01-18-2008, 12:28 PM
cheap, and i knew i could fix it up NICE.
things changed and now I have NO CAR :(

Sliders562
01-18-2008, 12:29 PM
i remember back then when i saw a lot of 240sx @ east los angeles .. always parked on the side curbs with the for sale signs.

sold my corolla went around the block and found my 1st thats where i picked up my 1st hehe

you know whats the funniest thing ever, u guys and gals are gonna flame on me but when my bro first introduce me to 240sx i was like " whats rwd? "

firelizard
01-18-2008, 12:29 PM
I got mine because I wanted a RWD platform for cheap.
I was originally looking for an AE86, and had considered a 3rd Gen Camaro or Firebird.

The massive aftermarket for the 240SX was nice though, and it gave me a car to put my wheels on. Also, I knew I would have no trouble finding people who've done everything to the S13 platform.

Oh, and jDm tyte bandwagon etc etc. of course

smellslikecurry
01-18-2008, 12:31 PM
i got mine to attract my skinny jdm boys

DreamN
01-18-2008, 12:32 PM
An S14 Zenki passed me on the freeway over 4 years ago and I had no clue what it was. Started to doing some searching and found 240sxforums.com. Learned as much as I could. Wanted an S14, but was hoping prices would get a little lower. Drift craze hit without knowing diddly squat about it and just made it impossible to buy an s14 at a decent price. Did more research on the car and fell in love with the s13 coupe styling. Started searching for one in late '05 and finally found one mid '06. Been a happy camper since.

Oh and I just wanted a simple car to work on, have fun with, and make a weekend track car out of it. Wanted it to be RWD so it was a perfect option.

shmiddy
i wanted a cheap rwd car that i can mod and work on with plenty of part recorces. plus its baller. i fell in love with drifting and its history, and after my 5.0 mustang was stolen (i know i know, found on road dead, fix on race day, discustang, 5. slow) i wanted to try something new so i got a 1992 hatch and i love it

deadpirate
because its jDm TyTe yo!!!!!!!

no..honestly. i didnt know what a 240 was until i graduated high school. thats when i started getting into cars/drifting...at that point i finally knew what a 240 was...saw how good of a platform it would be for drifting..decided i wanted one...and because im in college with no job/money...i havent been able to get one...but..im finally taking ownership next month

LongGrain
01-18-2008, 12:33 PM
i had a friend who had always wanted one since he was like 14 or something, i thought he was stupid. and that 240's were just gay, shitty, old, what have you.

one day at autox there were 4 guys with 240's. for some reason i dont even know, i fell in love with them. made it my goal to find one by any means. finally found my old, gold, auto fastback which i crashed (no, i wasnt trying to be the DK) and now i have my new fastback which i LOVE every minute of, even when we disagree on things :cool:

CrimsonRockett
01-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Cheap.

Easy to mod.

Put enough work into it, and it's immediate sexy time.

Can't wait to build a coupe.

Koopa Troopa
01-18-2008, 12:38 PM
My step-dad has been selling Nissan's since the beginning of time.. In fact I think he was genetically engineered to be some kind of super crime fighting car salesman...

Anyways I also played too much Tokyo Xtreme Racer on the Dreamcast in Jr. High and the two kinda worked themselves out.

Man speaking of back in the day... I remember the dude's I used to hang out with and talked to nonstop.. They had stock SR's or very minimal bolt ons and I thought they were Gods of the Nissan realm.. Now I'm a couple months away from finishing a car that'll be making 400 some whp and only some of them have progressed anywhere since 2004 ...

eastcoastS14
01-18-2008, 12:38 PM
lol they started showing up a lot in modified magazine and I kept reading what they were capable of and how easy to mod they were....I also wanted one cause its a car that no one around here has....since I started getting into 240s Ive really only seen a handful around and I like having something different

Bobafreak
01-18-2008, 12:41 PM
I always wanted a rwd drive vehicle. I had a 240 before but i wrecked it touging. Now i have a 240 to just take my time and build as a weekend car. Though some buy because it is cheap and reliable and may sell it in the near future but as for me i plan to keep it till i hit the grave or a semi takes it out (god forbid.) To me the 240 is a all around good car. I wont call it a nsx or anything but its still something i can look at and be like wow i member when it looked like this to this.

Even with the whole emission laws and etc it doesent bother me. 1 i dont drive it everyday, 2. *shrug* dont care. lol

CrimsonRockett
01-18-2008, 12:41 PM
I also wanted one cause its a car that no one around here has....since I started getting into 240s Ive really only seen a handful around and I like having something different

I second this.

Although I live in LA, I don't see S13's on a daily basis.

I mean, when there's a meet, everybody suddenly comes out, but on a day to day basis, I probably see 2-3 a week that are very poorly modified(err, look like shit).

Now JDM Fanboy Honda's is another story...

DaPCWiz
01-18-2008, 12:45 PM
In high school I used to drive a '93.5 Infiniti G20 and I started to learn how to work on cars and such on it. unfortunately it was automatic. I really wanted to get a manual car to drive. Having become comfortable with nissans I knew I wanted enither another G20 in manual, an SE-R, or 240.

I went out and test drove an '89 S13 and instantly fell in love with it. I took it out on the highway and knew the exact moment where I was like "so this is why people like RWD... its awesome!". I didn't end up buying that car, but ended up buying a red zenki S14, and loved every minute of it.

Had the car for ~2 years when some girl ran a stop sign and hit me. Loved the 240 too much to let go at that point, so I got me another S14 and swapped all the parts over. Then I decided to get into drifting and more track based events... so I've gotten yet another one (S13) to build as a track car. lol, what can I say - I'm an addict now.

Daniel.
01-18-2008, 12:51 PM
i got mine to attract my skinny jdm boys

I'd have to say the same. I loved it when all the JDM kids were jocking. :duh:

zaneithan
01-18-2008, 12:54 PM
i think it was around the explosion of the drift scene that first sparked my interest. im pretty sure i just graduated high school and was driving just about the most mint stock crx SI i had seen in NY in a long while with plans to modify it, something about 240's grabbed me and i began my search for a clean body one, i found a manual 93 burgundy base model hatch with 161k in north carolina and picked it up, took a train down with my father and we drove it back without any knowledge of the car or anything, ever since then ive loved them and cant get enough. They are easily the most fun car ive driven (outside of a beat ass 86 corolla sr5) and ive owned 2 more after the first one and would gladly get many more.

Vision Garage
01-18-2008, 01:01 PM
I got one because my aunts neighbors daughter had one.

This was after i had gotten my first car. 1985 cressida

then from there a 1989 mr2

then picked up a zenki s14 RIP.

THen to the kouki i got now.

Plus the 14.5 project

to the fastback i got for 300 bucks

and to the sc400 for my girl to drive.

TOO many fukken cars! Well the cressida and mr2 are long gone. So 4. And i got my zenki before the 2nd d1 so you can call me a bandwagoner if you want!

Matej
01-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Saw an episode of Initial D when I was 14 or 15, started looking up drift cars on the internet, and learned of the 240, although I didn't get mine until I was almost 18.
Initial D was the Fast & Furious for drift fanboys.

BustedS13
01-18-2008, 01:10 PM
it was june 2002. i was 17. my dad had given me his LeBaron as my first car, and to be truthful, it was a lot of fun. but i wanted something sporty. i read sport compact car religiously, and had recently read the issue with "BUILD A DRIFT MACHINE FOR $3000" in it, which endlessly praised the 240. i really wanted a z32.
so then some clown loses control in the rain, on the highway, and sideswipes me in his ford ranger. the insurance company pays out, and my dad gives me half the check in cash, which was a little more than enough to buy my 1500 dollar '92 hatch and title it. if i'd had more money i would have bought a z. but... it wound up being fun anyway.

pbcstylez
01-18-2008, 01:10 PM
i bought my first one back in 99, watched too much initial d n decided i needed to be drifter, than realized i cant drift... haha

hijack3d
01-18-2008, 01:12 PM
I got one 'coz I'm baller.

That is all.

(Not really :)! I got it because I liked the body style and I got tired of my FC's blowing up...)

BustedS13
01-18-2008, 01:13 PM
i bought my first one back in 99, watched too much initial d n decided i needed to be drifter, than realized i cant drift... haha
you bought a car when you were 13?

SHIFT_*grind*
01-18-2008, 01:13 PM
I wanted a fast car, or a car I could make fast, or at LEAST a project car I could *kind of* make fast, and I didn't have much money. This is back in '01. So, along comes SCC with their feature on swapping an SR into an S13, and it sounded perfect. $1000 for a shell, $2000 for a swap, $3000 for a fully running "sports" car, where do I sign up?

I actually believed it was that easy. HA.

$1500 got me a riced out S13 coupe with rod knock, which we had to tow 6 hours home from Gaston, NC, in mid-2002. After de-ricing and yanking the KA, I found an S14 SR on EBay - I know, it's sad - and won the auction for $1550. This is how I learned why I should pay better attention to seller feedback and reputation.

Basically, I got thoroughly screwed. Motor arrived in ~200 pieces thrown into a big box and was utterly useless. Seller was based in WA state, so all I could do is correspond and file police reports and request investigations by phone. To this day I don't have anything to show for the whole mess, except some live-and-learn experience.

Meanwhile, I got interested in RB swaps. Eventually got an RB20 front clip from Venus Auto, NOT on Ebay, for $1500 (but shipping was $800 =-\). I have no experience swapping motors, and nothing but a driveway for workspace, so it took me forever. But I (and my friend) eventually finished it, and did it clean, and somewhere in early 2004, I had a running RB20 S13 coupe. Sold it in May '05 for something more comfortable.

Then the bug bit me again and I got an SR 'vert in Sept. of last year :p

BustedS13
01-18-2008, 01:16 PM
I wanted a fast car, or a car I could make fast, or at LEAST a project car I could *kind of* make fast, and I didn't have much money. This is back in '01. So, along comes SCC with their feature on swapping an SR into an S13, and it sounded perfect. $1000 for a shell, $2000 for a swap, $3000 for a fully running "sports" car, where do I sign up?

that issue came out in 2002

Sil-Abc
01-18-2008, 01:18 PM
friend in vegas told me about 240's and silvias back in 2000 when i was about to start highschool and got into them quick. took a while to save up and actually commit to getting one and over time i was about to buy a z32 tt for 3000 i think but then i saw a 89 silver one for 1800 around 03 and bought it. had it ever since :D

azndoc
01-18-2008, 01:21 PM
I got one when I came back from the states after being in OKinawa for three years.

Got stationed in Bremerton, WA.

Was walking through the barracks parking lot when I noticed a guy walking away from his grey onevia. I said hello and we hung out. He told me that a friend of his was selling a 240sx if I was interested. I didn't know what a 240sx was until I saw it and realized it was a 180sx. So I bought it for $1000. It smelled like cats inside, had no passenger seat, and single cam.

Then I bought a SR from the same guy I bought the car from since he was also a engine importer. Still have the same engine to this day.

Oh and that person in the parking lot was Alex aka AlextheSUS*PECT aka formerly nismornr. Who drove my car one time and blew up my single cam, which he still denies to this day. Bastard.

Fucker's being following me around for almost 4 years now, or is it the other way around.

Kn1ves
01-18-2008, 01:33 PM
couldnt afford anything else after i totalled my 98 integra

hasn't stopped running, so i haven't stopped driving

(thats a lie, my car is on life support and has mood swings)

Skullavera
01-18-2008, 01:40 PM
Because it was cheap, and I didn't want to get stuck with another 5 years of payments on a new car.

eastcoastS14
01-18-2008, 01:43 PM
lol i wish i had pics of my first 240...such a shitbox...i sold my clean ass 98 prelude and bought a heap of shit 240 hahah no clue why even to this day

Phlip
01-18-2008, 01:44 PM
1995:
I saw the Zenki S14 and was madly in love with the car, generally as it came, but having grown in a single-parent home and all that goodness, I could not afford one. I was 16 and just starting to work then, I rolled an 81 Buick Regal that was handed down from my moms to my sister, to me.
2001: Finishing college, following a 91 Chevy Blazer, an 85 Carolla SR5 I bought for $500, drove a couple years and sold for the same, 1991 Supra and still in possession of a 1978 Monte Carlo my brother and I had as each of our side bets, I happened upon a 95 for a decent price...
My plans? Fuck, I was not into motorsport or modification, not of those jerkoff magazines or any of that business. I was going to put some wheels on it and a stereo in it. Stereo was in in no time flat, wheels were to wait, then some African dude hit me after a concert 4 months after I bought the car (I didn't even GO to the fucking concert, I was coming from the movies/eating with like 5 friends, passing by where the concert was)... I got the car completely fixed and color-changed to Toyota RSP, then I happened upon some Niche (damn, remember Niche? lol) wheels EXTRA cheap with tires, rolled on those while I planned on other shit. The "meantime" wound up lasting over 2 years while I went BACK to school to get my Airframe and Powerplant licenses, then I got inebrificated and flipped and rolled it one night/morning on the way home in June of 03...
June 04:
Friend had this coupe that he had gotten off of some chick whose daughter had blown the engine... He was going to stick a DOHC in it and DD it with the auto in it, but the SOHC trans wasn't happening with the DOHC engine and all that shit, so he snatched the 97 engine back out of it and rebuilt it to boost in his other car, offering the coupe to the first person to show him $500.00 to come and get it out of his yard...
Having been sucked into the knowledgebase that is Zilvia and, with it, suckered into the desire to modify these cars, and knowing a million times more at this time than I did when I got the 14 in 2001, I jumped on it, then immediately secured EVERYTHING to complete the 5-speed/twincam swaps, calling in some favors and shit that people owed me, not to mention leaning on some people who I knew would be able to help me.

To answer the question as presented:
240SX #1 - Fruition of a love affair that started before ANY of my girlfriends
240SX #2 - Comfort level... I was more than okay with the little nuances of owning one, given that the car was not expensive to buy and is inexpensive to maintain and can be reliable in linear fashion with how good the owner is with keeping up with shit... The box of "maintenance" items (oil/filters, plugs, brakes, etc...) in the corner of my bedroom speaks to the fact that I still love having my car around.

01-18-2008, 01:49 PM
b/c for a good amount of money you can build something quite extraordinary.
very easy to build up.

Bobafreak
01-18-2008, 01:52 PM
phlip that was deep. I can picture it all in my head.

BustedS13
01-18-2008, 01:53 PM
then I happened upon some Niche (damn, remember Niche? lol) wheels
:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh: :ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

eastcoastS14
01-18-2008, 01:58 PM
lol I should add that before i got into 240s I wanted an RSX type S BAD! like really bad....this kid I went to school with had an orange one with a bomex kid carbon fiber hood and angel eyes lol...i thought it was the sickest thing ever lol

Phlip
01-18-2008, 02:04 PM
phlip that was deep. I can picture it all in my head.
I try to present it like that.
:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh: :ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:
Hey, I don't look back too fondly on those heavy-ass shitty offset having wheels, taste is LEARNED, no one is born with it.

VROOOM
01-18-2008, 02:09 PM
lol I should add that before i got into 240s I wanted an RSX type S BAD! like really bad....this kid I went to school with had an orange one with a bomex kid carbon fiber hood and angel eyes lol...i thought it was the sickest thing ever lol

don't worry. i was looking at a turbo probe before i found my first 240sx. i was about to say i'd buy it and the salesman said he had a nissan in the back and that the financing fell through on it so they were putting it back out. ending up buying it. 1989 240sx hatchback. funny thing is the dealership was a mazda dealership when i bought the car and 2 months later it was a nissan dealership.

BustedS13
01-18-2008, 02:30 PM
I try to present it like that.

Hey, I don't look back too fondly on those heavy-ass shitty offset having wheels, taste is LEARNED, no one is born with it.

:ugh:
:ugh::ugh:
:ugh::ugh::ugh:
:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:
:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:
:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:
:ugh::ugh::ugh:
:ugh::ugh:
:ugh:

ManoNegra
01-18-2008, 02:37 PM
Wanted to 'mod' my first car, a 91 Celica GT... auto.
Couldn't find a thing for it other than some headers and lame bodykits.
Saw Initial D for the fist time and fell in love with sileighties.
A friend from work with a nice Integra GSR showed me an Option video. This was around 2001.
I started renting them and I happened upon the Option 2 Silvia special. I was officially over my sileighty phase.
Got my first, an 89 base hatch on late 2002. This was the car were I earned my dues as far as 240 knowledge. 5 lug, vlsd, z32 brakes, some more suspension mods and finally an S14 SR. Wrecked it on Feb 2005 and parted out a lot of it.
A few months later I pick up a cherry pearl white 95 SE. Swapped over most of my mods from the hatch. Didn't have it quite dialed in before I wrecked near the end of 05.
Brother had left the Honda scene and picked up a 91 hatch that I had helped him with. He got tired of constantly fixing it and sold it to me. I drove it for a while but eventually retired it from the street in early 06 as I was getting paranoid by cops and sick of the fanboy attention.
Then I got a pos ae92gts which I still have and haven't decided what to do with.
And finally, a few months back, I picked up my fourth 240: a red 95 SE that I'm currently making reliable and will serve me as a daily. Then I plan to slowly build up the S13 for track.

prang11
01-18-2008, 02:41 PM
My brother bought one with an sr20 in it. I drove it and said I needed one.

SINxSELEKTAH
01-18-2008, 02:46 PM
HAD a 97 240sx from 2003-2005. why i got it?

1- i totalled my del Sol
2- jumped the drift bandwagon in 03
3- my friends convinced me not to get an FD

driftyour40
01-18-2008, 03:04 PM
Oh I was 18 in November of 99, I was driving an 82 Toyota Supra/Celica that was just a day away from falling apart, and I needed a car. I went down to one of the stealer ships and walked through the lot, I had no idea what I was looking for, and I came across a car I had never seen before. A 95 240sx auto base model, I liked the way it looked, the window sticker said RWD and I was in shock, I even looked to see if there was a rear diff I just couldn’t believe it. So I drove it and I never wanted to drive anything else. 3 moths later I learned to drive stick, 3 years later I was rear ended, so they paid off my car, I found a 95 s14 se 5speed, got a loan borrowed 1300 from a friend and got it. Still love this car, haven’t driven anything that feels as good to me and really just cant seem to part with it so, I’ll be driving it for a long time I think.

Palmer
01-18-2008, 03:36 PM
I got my s14 because i wanted a good dependable rwd car. A supra was my first choice but i didn't want to pay that much for a car that i was going to abuse and use as a daily. the transition from a turbo fwd to rwd has been a great choice so far.

bloodangels13
01-18-2008, 03:41 PM
got into imports back in 00 before that i was all about chevy.... my boy alex got me into hondas... in the winter of 01 got a 89 crx si i redid everything on it including the b16 swap took a year to finish it on a highschoolers budget ... dorve it for 2weeks and blewout that worn out pos... i starting getting into drifting from jdm dvds early 02 and finally relizing that rwd was better and a japenese car company made em I saw a s13 silvia in a option mag and decided thats what i wanted ..when the crx got sold i started hunt for my 240sx with plunty of desapointments... first i was ganna buy a dohc s13 fastback (sold to someone else) then a zenkie s14 se (saler flacked) then eventually i found my 93 s13 se coupe in early 04 and i still have her... shes jus stuff full o go fast shiney goodies now.... love o my life lol

Bobafreak
01-18-2008, 03:50 PM
got into imports back in 00 before that i was all about chevy.... my boy alex got me into hondas... in the winter of 01 got a 89 crx si i redid everything on it including the b16 swap took a year to finish it on a highschoolers budget ... dorve it for 2weeks and blewout that worn out pos... i starting getting into drifting from jdm dvds early 02 and finally relizing that rwd was better and a japenese car company made em I saw a s13 silvia in a option mag and decided thats what i wanted ..when the crx got sold i started hunt for my 240sx with plunty of desapointments... first i was ganna buy a dohc s13 fastback (sold to someone else) then a zenkie s14 se (saler flacked) then eventually i found my 93 s13 se coupe in early 04 and i still have her... shes jus stuff full o go fast shiney goodies now.... love o my life lol

woooooo!! english please?

ALEXTHESUS*PECT
01-18-2008, 04:17 PM
wanted to start drifting, so i got one in 2001.

allntrlundrgrnd
01-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Originally i wanted an integra(gs-r) or a prelude and that never worked out and i ended up driving a 95 explorer(exploder) for the first few years having my license. Then over this summer one of my good friend bought a black 92 hatch and i thought it was awesome, shortly after this i got "lucky" and found the same car as him but a coupe. it was love at first site. I got it cause i wanted a 4 banger that was gas friendly and i came to my senses that rwd>fwd any day. 240s are pretty unique for my area too, me and my buddy are the only ones i know personally with them. its a shitbox but i love how it looks and handles, cant wait to be boosted :2f2f:

jskateborders
01-18-2008, 04:27 PM
cause I got it for 350 bucks... and drove it home
and when my freind let me borrow it months earlier to take my g/f home, I liked it... alot

BustedS13
01-18-2008, 04:28 PM
got into imports back in 00 before that i was all about chevy

so you got into imports when you were fourteen. when you were a child in middle school, you were into chevy.

arkive43
01-18-2008, 04:35 PM
because i had a honda :keke: jk this pretty much sums up why i got mine
the first car i moded was a honda. and i got bored with it taking it to teh drag track.

easiest drift car to buy
abundant
parts easy to access
easy to mod
easy to drift
and looks awesome.
and cheap

drift_student
01-18-2008, 04:58 PM
I stumbled upon drifting one day in 2003 while driving my girlfriend's GMC Sonoma in the rain. I decided I needed a RWD car. I had always liked RX7's so I got a 1st gen, then a 2nd gen, then a few more of each. I decided that they sucked really bad, but looked great.

In 2004, I was riding my bicycle (BMX) in a friend's neighborhood and saw the back of a 240 under a tarp. I knocked on the guy's door and asked if I could just look at it. He said it needed a clutch and a fender, but he only wanted $500 for it. I told him I had $350 in my pocket ( I have no idea why I actually had $350). He said that was enough, so I put my bike in the hatch and drove it home after he signed the clear title over. It was an 89.

Car ran for a year and a half with no problems, then one day it over heated and blew up. I traded the shell for another hatch, this time a 90, but it was primered. I still have it and its still primered, but it has an sr and almost every bolt on suspension mod available.

Andrew Bohan
01-18-2008, 05:03 PM
i learned about drifting around 1999, when my japanese friend told me "we go to docks and watch cars. screeeee"

i was like "wow, how pointless"

she didn't say they were actually doing anything skillful. sounded more like fucking around to me.

then she got a 240, and hated it cuz it was a sohc ka.

time went on, and i gradually heard more about it. heard about slide squad and such. i decided i'd get a 240 and try it out, since it's just wasn't happening with my F-150.

finally in 2002, i got rear ended in my truck, and made about $6000. thank you "pain and suffering" :)

then i got my 240

CLIFF'S NOTES: i got it for DRIFTIN!

mrs.drift33
01-18-2008, 05:04 PM
my boyfriend

Sliders562
01-18-2008, 05:07 PM
i learned about drifting around 1999, when my japanese friend told me "we go to docks and watch cars. screeeee"

i was like "wow, how pointless"

she didn't say they were actually doing anything skillful. sounded more like fucking around to me.

then she got a 240, and hated it cuz it was a sohc ka.

time went on, and i gradually heard more about it. heard about slide squad and such. i decided i'd get a 240 and try it out, since it's just wasn't happening with my F-150.

finally in 2002, i got rear ended in my truck, and made about $6000. thank you "pain and suffering" :)

then i got my 240

CLIFF'S NOTES: i got it for DRIFTIN!

i remember slide squad , mark, "super street" , s13 coupe and EF civic hatchy

KiLLeR2001
01-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Well, it was a simple game of "process of elimination" for me...

1. It had to be a Nissan.
2. It had to be a lightweight RWD car with exceptional handling.
3. It had to have an affordable price.

There's only one car that fits the bill. Period.

98s14inaz
01-18-2008, 05:20 PM
I originally had a hardbody pick up truck and worked at a nissan dealership. My buddy who worked there with me had a z32. On truck day, when the used car inventory came in, this immaculate green s14 kouki rolled in and my buddy insisted I trade the truck and buy it. Long story short I am on my 3rd s14. These cars are so much fun and easy to work on.

JRas
01-18-2008, 05:47 PM
I had enough money to get my first car and I decided to research stuff on google to decide what I wanted

I soon came up with something I really liked a 300zx saw a few of those in person almost actually bought one but the owner wanted too much so I left it

I got sick of trying to find a 300zx NA for a decent price and started looking at other things before I knew about the 240sx but I didn't care for them much, until I started to see more and more pictures of them

I soon fell in love and decided I wanted a 97-98 Kouki, but that dream also failed because people wanted more than what my budget allowed. I found a 97 moss green for 5.5k got the guy down to 5k! auto/clean title/ passenger airbag off / basically stock had a deal with the guy told him I'd come up to CA to pick it up ( live in arizona ) call the guy a day before to see where he wanted to meet and such and he tells me he sold the car :angry:

I decided fuck kouki there too dam expensive for the minimal difference between the zenki` started looking at those saw a few in person nothing in good condition that I would like to work off of. I found a 95/pearlwhite/120k/manual/slicktop very close to what I wanted year wise, color didn't have a problem with in AZ :P , 120k decent / manual YES! / slicktop FUCKYES!

the owner was asking $8,500! he was serious too... I told him I had no intentions of paying that much and to get back to be basically when he was asking something fair... he called back at 6k told him no, not worth it and out of my budget

bought it for 5.5k without the sportmax wheels

so in the end: my first car 95 / pearl white / 120k / manual / slicktop / tein coilovers / subframe spacers / nismo motor mounts and trans mount / rear upper arms / tein tension rods

still noob but hey, gota start somewhere

S13Boosts
01-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Nissan>honda Nuf Said.. =)

Sliders562
01-18-2008, 05:53 PM
well it would be a blessing if someone said "my mommy told me too" would be interesting

"I demand you get a 240sx" that would be the wierdest mom

LongGrain
01-18-2008, 06:03 PM
well it would be a blessing if someone said "my mommy told me too" would be interesting

"I demand you get a 240sx" that would be the wierdest mom

my dad (who doesnt know his ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to cars) told me that i only wanted a rwd car because they can do spinouts. :doh:

Helghast
01-18-2008, 06:04 PM
Because Honda sucks.

DALAZ_68
01-18-2008, 06:06 PM
3 reasons

1. had to sell my other (let go from work and needed money) and it was the first thing on my price range

2. wanted to try RWD compared ot my FWD

3. good gas mileage

LongGrain
01-18-2008, 06:09 PM
the whole gas mileage thing confuses me. my 240 is in immaculate condition, 100k miles, perfect maintenance record, and has never even had a hiccup. but it still only gets 25-26mpg MAX with mixed highway/city driving. idk if i was just spoiled when i drove a civic, but i think thats pretty fuckin shitty gas mileage. i used to get 40mpg EASY with my 99 civic.

DirtyS14
01-18-2008, 06:24 PM
I needed a force induced daily driver.

Something rwd.

ALTRNTV
01-18-2008, 06:40 PM
I wanted something different than the "normal" cars teens got. I got my first s13 in 2003.

ranger240
01-18-2008, 07:52 PM
back in 01 there was a mint burgundy dohc hatch parked while i was walking home from hs... it looked absolutely stunning and when i saw the rear pumpkin it got me extatic

right before junior year the parents said i need a car.. and scooped up a tan sohc hatch, layed a strip while trying to drive it not knowing how to drive stick and was sold. i wanted a grey dohc hatch and found one right after i bought mine for 3 grand.. same price w/15,000 less miles.. oo well

614duece40
01-18-2008, 08:09 PM
wanted one after i saw drifting on grip video way back in the day.

bardabe
01-18-2008, 09:16 PM
because a Twin Turbo Z32 was mucho expensive to insure, but i didn't want a Honda / Toyota and couldn't Find a GXS DSM.

Antihero983
01-18-2008, 11:00 PM
four years ago it came time for me to buy a car i WANTED not NEEDED. i was sick of driving oldsmobiles (i had owned 6) and wanted something japanese and RWD. i had 1500 to spend. called about a 1988 supercharged MR2, a 1988 Supra Turbo, and a 1991 240sx hatch.

MR2-old lady bought it the day i was supposed to look at it
Supra-guy finally called me back the day after i bought the 240
240-idiot gangsta rice wannabe enrolled in the military, got sent to germany, couldnt let the car sit. painted the stock wing black, wired in a shit stereo system.

and i've had to play with it ever since. and now i have a rotted out Z to go with my semi rotted S. it never ends does it?

bbejj123
01-18-2008, 11:01 PM
i got mine because i took a ride in my friends 240...and was currently looking for a car and he mentioned how it was pretty cheap. Large and cheap aftermarket parts. It also has power compared to the cars im used to driving... i previously had a 91 saturn slow i mean sl1...and a 75 bmw 2002 with stock everything

MADE
01-18-2008, 11:22 PM
Because they didn't make Cefiro's(A31) or Laurels(35) in the U.S.

As stated before easy platform to mod, parts are everywhere and cheaper in the long run than a Z.

norcal_black240
01-18-2008, 11:51 PM
Orginally I wanted a 97 GSX dsm but parents didnt like the whole turbo-charged vehicle idea since I was looking for my 1st car. So they said has to be no turbo/supercharger and has to be under 200 hp, has to be a 4 cylinder, has to be from orginal owner middle aged lady, under 70k miles, 95+ up, get over 25 mpg highway.

So pretty much my choices that I was interested at the time were GSR's, civic si's, and S14's. Ended up with my S14 after 3 months of looking. And after 5 years I still have my car and its been my only car.

TSLegendary
01-19-2008, 12:43 AM
Loved nissan's from day one and needed to upgrade from a 1987 Nissan Sentra.Sporty,Fast,and Reliable what makes a Nissan a Nissan.Love the boxy design of the Coupe Silvia S13 Brick Headlights the most.Simply timeless.

soreballz
01-19-2008, 12:54 AM
Heh. I bought my 240 because I needed a new car, and only had 1500 bucks to spend.
I didn't even want the damn 240, I wanted this 89 Celica AllTrac that was for sale in San Diego for dirt cheap, but it was sold before I had a chance to drive down there. The 240 was just there.. Available... Didn't want it because I thought it was ugly, and I didn't want people to think I was some Initial D drift fanboy douche.
But, it ran decently well, so I bought it. Hated it on the drive home, but fell in love with it as soon as I took it up to the mountains, and felt the glorious push of the rwd, rather than the fwd pull that I was so accustomed to.

The end.

fliprayzin240sx
01-19-2008, 03:00 AM
Because it wasnt a fucking HONDA!!! I figured when I got into it, nobody really knew or paid attention to these cars back then (circa 99-00). Aftermarket support was close to non-existent, nobody really knew what it was, didnt have the problems that the honda crowd had (thief being the number one issue), plus it was cheap ($13.5K for a mint kouki S14 w/ 22K miles on it).

Oh wow the irony now...these would be the reason that would prevent me from getting back into an S-chassis when I get back stateside. Chassis are stupid expensive now, car theft all over the country, and stupid fanboy drama. The whole "do you have an SR swap?" or "is that a skyline/silvia?" or "Im going to install a skyline engine in one after I sell my civic" kinda gets old after 8 yrs.

Vision Garage
01-19-2008, 03:07 AM
Im so glad i got my 240.

To be honest, that was probably the last car i was looking to get. I was looking for a decent turbo mr2 because i had one before. Then i was looking to get a 94 prelude but i decided not to because i couldnt get the japanese motor with the 220hp. Then i went looking for a 3000gt base. I wanted toe vr4 so bad but out of the price range.

Then i got my first 240 and never went back. Altho i still dream of owning a toyota celica gt4 all wheel drive! :)

Flipzide
01-19-2008, 04:35 AM
Mine is a big mixture of influences...

My friend and I got into RCs back in middle school (2002). We started playing with Bit Char-g (mini RCs) and we found out about this pack with Initial D shell replicas. I got curious and found some Initial D episodes online and ended up downloading all available episodes. Got into it and fell in love with the "zomg dorifto in touge sideways with a corolla, cars that looked like integras (that was my first thought when i saw a silvia in episode 1), and omg go fast downhill".

Then before I got into High school, I heard about Drift Showoff (2003) and found out about d1, option videos, and started attending events as a spectator. One year later I got my license late sophomore year (mid 2004) I did some research and started looking for my first car between a 240sx, Miata, and a RX7.

Obviously, I with with the first choice (in late 2004) and started attending grassroots events last year (2007).

*I believe my timeline is correct give or take 1 year, hahahah. Yea yea, good stuff...

Z33dori
01-19-2008, 05:00 AM
for some reason i can never remember when i started to like and want a 240

but i bought it b/c i love nIssan...and i <3 my S13

orion::S14
01-19-2008, 06:29 AM
I was in the Nissan dealership in 1995, waiting for my brother's D21 to get out of the shop (oil change?)...and I picked up a 1995 240SX brochure, with this on the cover:

http://www.ka24development.com/file_images/240SX_front.jpg

Knew I had to have it.

A little over a year later, I blew up my 1987 Integra (too many miles)...and found my S14 on a lot an hour away.

Test drove that, and a '96 GSR...but had to go with the 240SX.

Bought in in April of 1997, with ~20,000 miles on it. Had it ever since. Owned 8 or 9 others along the way....but I've always had my S14.

- Brian

Unholy S14
01-19-2008, 08:22 AM
I got my first S13 about 5 years ago because i wanted to be different....didnt see any in my town.

thats not the case anymore lol

Dirty Habit
01-19-2008, 09:00 AM
Consensus on the street:

So I could be a drifter.

....apparently.

Next person asking that question will be punched in the face.

HyperTek
01-19-2008, 09:18 AM
in the early 90s, my dad's friend had a gold SOHC coupe, think it was XE, he had those 5spoke chrome block rims on it, was pretty clean back in the day, i would ride in the back when we used to go to the LA auto show etc.

In 97 my brother had a 93 SE, was the first car I ever drove on the street... he lived a few states away but we would talk on the phone and i used to read sport compact car when i was like 14-16 and was like "hey bro they got turbo kits for these cars". in 2000 my pops bought me a S13. Choose it becuase it wasnt very popular and was a nice alternative to the crowd of hondas. It was cool to be different in highschool... RWD? whats that? some douchbags where like "Oh its not a eclipse, but i guess its ok its your first car"

Didnt think a few years later it would become one of the hottest cars in the aftermarket industry.

Wish those people mentioned above where around to see how mine got built up, im sure they would have been impressed with the turn out of these cars. unfortinutly we all broke apart and lost contact.

Got rid of it becuase i just couldnt stand it, i built it up soo much, lacked the funds to show it or track it, at teh time and people around me i was getting the message that "240sx are to be tracked, otherwise your a poser".. and i was scared shitless about thieft so i got out. I loved driving it though.

Had a super mega rare benz after that, but i missed tuning soo much, so i got a FC now, so why am I still on zilvia? i dunno I got accustomed to it. hahah

Im stll in this shit job, hopefully I will get something better then i can afford to do shit with my car besides building em.

All the good times i had 2002-2005 where the greatest.. I was young, had connections to get parts from companies/shops, was around alot of tuner shops/cars.. Going to D1 and the old Drift Showoff events in 02-03 where cool becuase all the cars wherent extreme built like now.

jrocslider
01-19-2008, 10:31 AM
my uncle had a white 93 SE hatch back in 96 and i would always ride around with him. idk why but i thought it was the baddest car ever (cause i was like 10 and looked up to my uncle). i moved from salinas to san antonio in 2001 and basically started saving up to buy my car because i knew that if i saved enough i might have one by the time i got my license. my dad saw how eager i was to get it and let me borrow the cash.

i bought a my first car in early 02 and i was like the happiest kid ever. it was a super clean elderly owned red 1992 hatch. i had to wait about a year to drive it though cause i was still too young. either way about 3 years later after graduation i wrecked it after a keg party and got 10 stitches on my head after the rear smashed into a tree. i ended getting a beat up black coupe that i later sold cause of it being shitty and i felt weird drivin a coupe. i've gone through two other hatches and now i'm on my 5th 240 and i'm happy with it. comfortable, reliable, clean daily driver that gets me to school.

so i guess you could say i got a 240 cause its the car i've always wanted since i was like 10,its affordable, parts are cheap, and looks good.

cgtdream
01-19-2008, 11:21 AM
cause the previous owner treated the car like crap, and when he put it up for sale, i decided to jump on it and fix it up a bit.......

RPS13_NISMO KNIGHT
01-19-2008, 11:27 AM
Because Honda sucks.

SOO true :blah:

Tearlessj
01-19-2008, 01:01 PM
I had a 89 Supra, then I drove my friends Zenki, sooo much better. Its the best cheap lightweight RWD car there is.

Bubbles
01-19-2008, 01:28 PM
I'm not sure but Honda didn't have a lot to do with it.

Teddy
01-19-2008, 02:47 PM
I bought my first one back in 06' to do drift days with.

t_rempel
01-19-2008, 04:31 PM
I liked imports but fwd didn't seem like any fun to me. Since I wanted something quick and rwd, I was looking at camaros, firebirds and 2wd 1/2 ton trucks. I had no idea that the 240sx even existed until I was in grade 12. It didn't take much to convice me that a 240 was what I wanted. Now i have a fun, rwd and super fast 16 second car :D The lower insurance and gas bills are nice too.

qwikspool
01-19-2008, 04:50 PM
i wanted something cheap ( i got it for free), many aftermarket parts, and fun to drive.

ThatGuy
01-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Well it wasn't to drift, or swap in an SR, or be JDM-Tyte.

I wrecked my previous car in front of a Nissan Dealership, and I didn't want another FWD vehicle.

Andrew Bohan
01-19-2008, 05:14 PM
funny, i've never seen a 240 at a nissan dealer. though i didn't start looking til 2002

ThatGuy
01-19-2008, 05:17 PM
I didn't say I bought it off that Nissan lot, just that I wrecked my last car in front of it. It was an omen. LOL

There were actually 2 240s on the lot that day, but they belonged to Mechanics there. :D

theronin
01-19-2008, 06:48 PM
because i was sick of repairing my cv joints on my accord. so off to google to find something that was 2dr so i didnt have to be the bitch and drive everyone around. 4cyl and rwd. ding ding ding 240sx is teh winnar.

nissanic89
01-19-2008, 11:37 PM
Bought because i had just totaled my Hyundai and had money to spend. I have always been a big car guy but this was my first opportunity to really get into it. I got it not because it was a 240, but because it was a cost efficient RWD light mod friendly car that it could do any motor sport with ie. Drag, drift, autocross etc.

jworks
01-19-2008, 11:58 PM
I bought a 240 because its easy car to drive, plus you get decent gas mileage unlike those clunky V8 cars :bash:

ESmorz
01-20-2008, 12:51 AM
So people on Zilvia would love me...?

DMiller
01-20-2008, 12:53 AM
because I wanted something as a project that was rwd and 2 door.... that and it was only $355.... :)

Roguewolf240
01-20-2008, 10:10 AM
Some Brittish people were selling a hatch for mad cheap, and i'd always <3'd 240s

svensko
01-20-2008, 10:53 AM
Was buying a car and the guy with the MKI MR2 wanted a few hundred too much for my taste. I knew I wanted reasonable stock HP/torque, sorry, not 1.5 litre Civics for me. :goyou:

jfc3po
01-20-2008, 11:35 AM
because my FC crapped out on me and it gets better gas mileage than an FC....

FCs are still sexier than s13s.....

Bubbles
01-20-2008, 06:13 PM
FCs are still sexier than s13s.....

Truth.

Too bad they rarely move under their own power.

lucky7
01-20-2008, 06:57 PM
in highschool, i made fun of a kid that drove a red S13 coupe...because it was a 4 cylinder. i, being 16, and the driver of a 94 mustang GT vert, was the shit.

anyhow, i had a civic with a B16. i wanted to go 'fast', for 'cheap'. got a 2nd job so i could afford an E36 M3. found one, didnt have enough money. decided i wanted an S13 to put an Sr into. really wanted a Kouki, but couldnt afford one...especially to put an Sr into one... it was all about monies.. now i have a Kouki worth [to me] twice as much as the M3 i almost bought. life is funny. i should have gotten the M3. haha.

my next car will be an M3. unless i want to really go fast. then im buying a cobra.

imotion s14
01-20-2008, 08:39 PM
Since middle school I always wanted a 300ZX Twin Turbo. Highschool rolled around and I'd day dreamed about that 300ZXTT. I got a job delivering pizza after school at Little Caesars to save up for one. But alas.. it was never ment to be, I couldn't afford it (they were still expensive back then).

Around 1998 my ricer friends showed me a copy of Options Video. Saw a tri-turbo RX-7 on it from TAS 1997. First time I saw drifting as well and the first time I saw an S14. It was sorta like the ugly chick you ignored but finally became the swan you never expected. Also remember Non Fujita's S14 on the cover of Super Street also influenced me. In my mind it was settled, i wanted a 1997 or 1998 240SX.

I started looking for one in 1999, found one in aspen pearl white in Summer 2000 by luck in the used car lot of a Chrysler dealership in Clear Lake, Texas and bought it. I dreamed about the swap like all young and naive 240 owners. Unfortunately being a student and having a shitty low paying job meant it took until this 2007 to be able to afford some serious stuff beyond the basics.

It's been 8-9 years and 80,000 miles since...

muddafakka
01-20-2008, 09:19 PM
I refused to drive anything with FWD. I drove my mom's ES300 when I first got my permit/license way back when and it fucking sucked. I hated the way it felt. It's also my first car so I wanted it to be something different from the rest. All the money I worked hard for/saved up for wasn't going towards a Civic or Corolla. Everyone has one around here. I wanted something "special." I liked 240s since I was a little kid. A guy used to have a two-tone coupe down the block when I lived in NY. I didn't know shit about it. I just loved the way it looked and said I'd own one someday. Even so, it wasn't the first car I was looking for. I actually looking for a muscle car or a 300ZX...something along those lines but they were too expensive for the budget I was dealing with. Well I never got a coupe like I said I would but I got something close enough (vert). Cheap, rwd economy car...what is there not to like?

racepar1
01-20-2008, 10:42 PM
Prior to the movie "the fast and the furious" I was a die-hard chevy guy (yes I am ashamed, about the movie not chevy FUCK FORD!). I didn't even know about all the mods you could do to an import. The scene where they have all the parts for the supra layed out on the ground really opened my eyes to what you could do. I immediately started researching different cars that were rear-wheel drive and somewhat affordable and I stumbled onto the 240sx. I then started researching what aftermarket parts were available and in the process of that discovered the JDM scene and cars. What really sold me on the 240 though was one time when Mark from Slide Squad (my buddy used to work with him) took me and my buddy for a ride in his blue s-13, god what a clean car! He didn't go drifting or anything just a couple of good accelerations on the way to carl's jr. After talking to him and his buddy and checking out his car I was hooked! I have not looked back since and the s-13 chasis is still my favorite light to medium weight rwd platform.

S14Josh
01-20-2008, 11:40 PM
My parents pushed me towards my 14

I was about to pick up a 2000 Subaru impreza 2.5 RS. It was already on coilovers and had some bronze BBS LM's. The dealership wanted 11 grand. I only had 5.

So i decided i'd rather have no payments. Plus my car was a single owner, the Subaru had like 5 owners in the course of 4 years, the interior had stains all over from kids spilling drinks/popsicles/that kind of shit. I got my car from an old lady who had all the receipts and kept up on routine service stuff

Hooorahh!
01-20-2008, 11:48 PM
honestly i was gonna get a honda or a fastback at the time
1990 sohc or a 2000 hatch back honda ... my dad was paying for it .. and he hated the honda so, thats how i got my first 240 .... i didnt know a damm thing about 240's eithere .... shit i even put some neon lights on my first 240 broke them, and a year later looked back was like wtf was i thinking haha ...

Farzam
01-21-2008, 12:36 AM
I got one cause I thought they looked so awesome...then I started researching and found a good aftermarket, and I liked the overall vibe. I test drove one and decided that I needed one in my life. Then I had two. Then three...etc.

turtl631
01-21-2008, 12:40 AM
I don't even know how I got my first one; I was mostly looking for a first car that I could put a decent audio setup in. Met a guy with an S14 at my college and it seemed like a solid car, and I had a few friends in high school who modded EF civics, CRXs, etc, so the seeds of playing with cars had been planted. 4 years since the first car and I'm now on S14 #3; after I wrecked the first one, I got back into an S14 because it was the best mix of weight, reliability, cost, performance potential, and space in a RWD car. Almost decided to get a Miata but since I was still in college ~800 miles from home, I figured I'd be screwed when I had to move home for summers, etc. Didn't seem like a good idea if I ended up in a snowy climate after college either, which I did, so in retrospect that was a good call. It's been kind of lame trying to build a nice track setup for a car that has a market pretty consistently focused on drifting, but with some recent suspension developments that shouldn't be an issue.

DoriftoPnoy
01-21-2008, 01:22 AM
Well seeing as it was my first car, I just remember hearing the name silvia from somewhere. So I turned to my trusty friend, google, and found out what they looked like. Can't say it was love at first sight but it got me intrigued and I decided to look into craig's list and what not. So I tell my dad what I wanted and he starts doing his research and finds me this white s14 with an sr. Didn't know what an SR was at the time so I researched that and found out they're turbo'd motors already so I was like "OK i'll take it." And next thing you know I come home from work and I hear my dad driving it back from getting some gas. And that's pretty much how/why I got a 240.

hunter8411
01-21-2008, 01:31 AM
Had a built V8 Vega that only got 12mpg, so was looking for a comfortable, good looking, good milage car. Went to a drift practice event on the balcony in like 03/04 with my friend and his s14, got hooked and decided I needed one.

jeeper_x
01-21-2008, 12:09 PM
because i couldn't afford a MKIV nor a FD.......

someday i'll ditch this piece of shit and get one of those 2......

Farzam
01-21-2008, 07:32 PM
I also failed to mention that I found a really good deal on an s13 while I was shopping for a car, I was originally thinking about getting a Honda cause well...I just wanted to find a cheap car and flip it, and then after I saw the s13 I just got thinking heavily about how I might as well get a car I really enjoy driving while i'm at it.

180sExy
01-21-2008, 09:21 PM
I bought my 240 because I owned a crx and was tired of that car! The interior was shitty an it just did'nt feel like a "Car" was more like a go kart. I just happend to come across my 240 when I was going too work, she was sitting on a street corner an had a huge 4sale sign on her so I took the number an sold my crx too some poor kid an bought my 240! And I've been happy ever since!

T00ch
01-21-2008, 09:39 PM
my sister had a 240 for as long as i can remember and all i would think is..one day this car will be mine...and then she meets a guy and the car goes to the boyfriend..but i soon found my own and now we both get to work on the cars together...though his is more of the "test" car haha

boostmonkey723
01-22-2008, 09:58 AM
cause i hung out with my brother alot when he would work on his s13 so as the younger brother i wanted to be like him so i followed his steps haha

los_inc
01-22-2008, 10:10 AM
i needed a car.
she was 500 bucks
it's been a love hate relationship ever since then
-los
i <3 my s13

tacotacotaco
01-22-2008, 11:29 AM
My friend lost my 85 200sx so when he got a 93 240 he gave it to me what a pal!!!!
i made it into this and just sold it to fund a new project.http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg13/kndacomplx1/DSC_0188.jpg

SiI40sx
01-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Because I realized that for the price of a nice ek thats slow as hell I could get a swapped s13 with way more horsepower and capability to go further. Then as I continued on with my car I started noticing how much crap was avaliable for it IN japan (still accessible here but not as easy as hell as it is now). Now I just LOVE how the car drives and handles and sits. Way better than anything I have yet to drive.

VROOOM
01-22-2008, 11:44 AM
My friend lost my 85 200sx so when he got a 93 240 he gave it to me what a pal!!!!
i made it into this and just sold it to fund a new project.http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg13/kndacomplx1/DSC_0188.jpg

I wanna hear how he lost your car.

LongGrain
01-22-2008, 11:51 AM

+1

msglngth

Koopa Troopa
01-22-2008, 11:51 AM

Pinks at race wars.. Duh.

ManoNegra
01-22-2008, 12:04 PM
You sold it Taco? I really liked your car, what will you be building now? S14?

steve shadows
01-22-2008, 12:09 PM
becasue I sucked at soccer

tacotacotaco
01-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Ill bring it out when its ready. I wanted an s14 but i have love for the 13's

He rolled it off a cliff. He was to beat up for me to kick his ass.

No i let him borrow it since he was down and out gave it to him registered with liability only. when those expired he never got around to gettin it insured or registered so it got towed off the street and the price to get it out was more than it was worth.

Im continuing to build the 240 now only because its a cheap platform to build up. Its nothing SPECTACULAR but it def is a great chassis to build up for its cost. If i had more money id actually dive into an fd or 350z but for the amount of money those cars are you can build a well balanced killer looking 240. Look for me to be coming out with a super clean fastback dd and an all out track only *****

Lurpin
01-22-2008, 01:01 PM
My dad bought a 91 hatch brand new from the Nissan dealer when i was a little boy. He let me help him work on it every weekend, and ride in it all the time. I fell in love with Nissan ever since then. First vehicle was a Hardbody, got bored of that and wanted a fast car. So i picked up my 98 kouki

dragon_x330
01-22-2008, 02:00 PM
I wanted a cheap FR platform that was reliable. And I wanted something else besides the average Honda. But then that was like what, 3-4 years ago when I bought my first S14.

Funny isnt it, that I bought a 240SX to be different, and now everybody has one...

*scratches head*

:boink:

B18C5MK1
02-05-2008, 01:46 PM
because 240 nissans with 190k miles are more dependable than 240 volvos with 140k miles.

Captain_Ron80
02-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Cause it was different to have a 240 back in 1999. Many called it a probe. That doesn't happen anymore.

ANVIL
02-05-2008, 02:00 PM
my classmate wouldnt shut up about 240's while i was in the market for a new car. I was semi interested already, I knew I wanted an import but thats about it. After getting on forums and doing some research I was sold. Another thing was 240sx's are SUPER RARE in Alaska, so I even decided to ship it back here when I was done with school instead of buying and Evo 9. Originally I was going to get an EG Hatch and do a JDM Type R swap, but instead I now have an S13 with an RB25DET swap for about the same price, and 10x more potential. Never had a single regret. (on the days that she runs ;) ) Only thing that sucks is now that I have the RB swap, mods are MEGA expensive compared to if I had gone honda.

on a side note I still have a lil honda fanboy inside and DD an eg hatch

ripnbst
02-05-2008, 02:58 PM
I got one because I wanted to get into drifting, they are fun to drive, and cheap.

240love^_^
02-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Hmmm...I guess I became interested in 240's when Winnie from Turbonetics brought his car out to one of my softball practices back in 03'. I didn't know what it was. But I knew I liked it and that I had to have one. After the BF got a 240, sh*t I was destined....

ByeByeSti
02-05-2008, 03:35 PM
welll a supra being my dream car, just isnt happening at 18... and ive always loved 240s since basically forever. and my friend kept saying how he had an s14 sitting around and and after about a week of telling my mom she had no say if i got a 240 or not and that im selling my audi a4 to fund this never ending project. well i ended up getting the s14 and still being stuck with my audi right now but summertime ill be in love with my 240

miucus
02-05-2008, 03:38 PM
i convinced my older brother to get a 240 5 years ago knowing that wen i got my license, it would be passed down to me. ive had it for 3 years now.

alindeman1989
02-05-2008, 03:44 PM
I needed a good dd. I wanted to get into drifting. Thats about it haha.

drifting.8
02-05-2008, 04:15 PM
My father bought a 240 off the show room floor in 1989...

Just fell in love with it..

SlideWell
02-07-2008, 11:14 PM
i bought my s14's because i fit in them well, it was for or a bb6, and those are slow, so no brainer there.

vodka2
02-08-2008, 12:48 AM
I got mine for the 日本 Factor. Rhd all day.

agame001
02-08-2008, 02:05 AM
reasons why i got a 240sx:

-RWD!
-decent gas mileage
-good interior
-the shifter is not on the floor, like those hondas
-decent HP
-japanese reliability
-good bang for the buck
-looks good
-didn't want to be a ricer

(i've only owned one BTW)

j4d3_h4v0k
02-08-2008, 02:15 AM
one word DORIFTO!!! but now that i have it i'm leaning towards grip/time attack meh good car for either way and at the moment 180k and hella reliable for dd

thelinja
02-08-2008, 07:59 AM
My 1984 Crown Vic wasn't going to cut it in college and i wanted something RWD that was good on gas.

Adam240
02-08-2008, 08:09 AM
I got mine back before the "Drift scene" blew up hardcore and there wasnt a lot in my area. I wanted something that wasnt common in my area and was a rwd sports car. And the s13 is hotness.

SimpleS14
02-08-2008, 09:16 AM
I needed a car for school and at the time (2001) the general public (including myself) didn't know much about the 240SX.

240trainee
02-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Honestly?

I wanted a Camaro because when I was little I helped my Uncle on his a lot.

Parents wouldn't let me have a V8

They saw a 240 as an economy car with a 4 cylinder, I saw a car I could make fast and was better than a camaro on almost all fronts.

Kinda sad, but thats what it is. this was back in 01 or 02 I think.

Taniguchi_Is_#1
02-08-2008, 09:38 AM
i liked watching video option and initial d back in 03. decided i wanted a 240 for my first car in 04. complained until my parents let me buy one in 05. the rest is history. i only knew one person with a 240 in 05. now, i'm the OG in the mini group of hmong dudes. lame town. i miss my s13.

steve shadows
02-08-2008, 09:48 AM
It was cheaper than an M3

powersteeringless180sx
02-08-2008, 11:45 AM
my cousin used to rent option videos back in the day from this lil japanese video store. this is before D1 ever exhisted and they used judge w/ those sticks w/ the cartoon animal cutouts. i fell in love w/ s13's from watching those videos.

jackjack
02-08-2008, 12:00 PM
at the time, it was rare that you saw one. especially 5 speed.

KidSaru
02-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Because I wanted to waste my money on a car that is so completely worthless that everytime I look out the window at it I throw up.

illvialuver
02-08-2008, 07:18 PM
cause i heard it makes your penis bigger.

naw, my step dad had a oldschool Datsun 210, and my Japanese neighbor had a clean old Z and i knew i wanted a Nissan I always liked the Z but than the S14 grew on my once i saw it at about 17. plus all my friends had s13 and I didnt want to be just like them, so I got my 14.

origin_s135
02-08-2008, 11:25 PM
well i just got the car for the hell of it in 2000 from a friend in high school for 900 bucks, and it was completely ghetto[rear bumper caved in]. as i drove it more i started liking it because it was different at the time. so in 2002, i bought a mint 240sx old lady driven. i enjoy the car from this day and on.

xelitex
02-08-2008, 11:34 PM
cheaper insurance and my last build... =D

David Steele
02-09-2008, 01:10 AM
I got one because loved what people done with aftermarket parts and S13 fastbacks and the look with the kouki tails were amazing, but I also always wanted to put a Nissan VH45DE V8 in one on boost with some good engineering. So, I got one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/C-Zero/Vh45DE/FMS13.jpg

kamikazekid
02-09-2008, 01:16 AM
I got one because i couldnt ship my r32 to the states.
http://a770.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/17/l_c368792293f18a433ce57069638057f1.jpg (http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=141907654&albumID=919142&imageID=16940768)

slw240sx
02-09-2008, 02:39 AM
in 00-01 i had never heard of a 240sx, i only knew of MK3 supra's DSM's and things called turbochargers.... i couldn't find a clean Mk3 supra turbo, or a non crap box DSM. So one day i saw a bright red hatch back on a used dealers lot it was in my price range 3-4K and had only 98K on it, took it for a test drive not knowing it was a RWD car, did a donut in a intersection and then in a few parking lots on the way back to the dealership, i took it home and have been driving them since.

chibo
02-09-2008, 08:43 AM
Because I couldn't afford an E36 M3 and the MK3 Supra Turbo pickings were slim at the time. I was driving my dad's pullied/ported Mini-S and I could no longer afford to pay him the $300 a month to drive it, so I was rather suddenly without a car and pushed to buy anything I could.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/chibo/chibo-mini2.jpg
I miss that car, but my life would be much different if I hadn't sold it and gotten the 240. :rofl:

i need tires
02-09-2008, 06:34 PM
im a fanboi and two of my good friends that got me into drifting said i should get one because they were cheap.. thus they were! i had 2 s13's got rid of them now im stuck with the s14 and im in love with the sport of drifting and just nissans in general

lflkajfj12123
02-09-2008, 11:39 PM
because honda has weak offsets

grudge
03-31-2008, 08:48 AM
back in 95' going to the street *aces i didn't want to be just like everyone else with a civic, crx, or integra. plus i wanted rwd. funny cause i actually was the only 240 (s14)at the *aces for a little bit until 1 or 2 others came along. i held my own with just some JG cams, headers, intake, and exhaust. it was fun while it lasted though.

sorry to bring back such an old thread. :bigok:

Omarius Maximus
03-31-2008, 12:24 PM
I was always in love with the S14 body style, since the day it came out. Especially when the kouki came out...I knew I had to have one. So....I got one!

I loved the car, but eventually when the honda folk started to jump ship to the 240sx camp, and the theft rate increased astronomically overnight....I realized that nothing good would come of me putting all my eggs into a basket that would eventually be stolen. (already happened once before)

flip3d
03-31-2008, 02:27 PM
I've always loved the SR20 in the Sentra SE-R so I tossed it up a bit and got an S13 with as SR20DET.

jbuckley
03-31-2008, 03:00 PM
haha.

i started out with a 95 ls integra , i made plans of building the b18 and turbo`ing it .. after alot of "tasteful" shit , and 1000 dollars of motor into it i realized that it was boring and well.. BORING, sold that shit

was into the whole flattrack/xc atv racing scene and had to have a rwd car.

wanted a ls1 camaro , couldnt afford that shit at the time so settled for a 240

got a 91 coupe with a rebuilt sr installed for cheap cheap cheap and the sickness was ON from there ... now its a driftable death machine and i love love love driving it

ive given up on all my other hobbies just to focus on drifting and shit

I LOVE ITZ

Onitsukagirl
03-31-2008, 03:39 PM
when I first got to okinawa I needed a car and the guys that I worked with helped me find one.. I said "I want one of those cars that have the pop up headlights and hatchback... they said "uhh, a 180?" I said oh yea I guess, they look awesome! I ended up buying the 180 that I first saw drive by the dorms (beautiful burple color) and it was the same car that inspired my liking of the 180sx.

Ca_laurier
03-31-2008, 08:16 PM
umm i bought my car back in early 03. a friend of mine had one on wheels and i like the style of it. everyone used to say it was a girls car, now they are just like "man your car's sick"

for sure was a good buy. it was my first car and i have owned it for 6 years now and i still can't find something remotely as nice (lol in the same price range)

afro88
03-31-2008, 08:29 PM
-More power than an ae86
-cheaper than an fc to modify/setup for drifting
-It's a drift-o-matic with parts as cheap as hondas
-Easy as cake to work on

Just got mine btw.

T00ch
03-31-2008, 09:01 PM
my sister got this car when i was a freshman and i just like fell in love lol
it was the first car i learned to drive and learned to drive stick on. she still has hers and i finally got my own...
now im just trying to get my lil bro one..he will get one but it has to be coupe lol

usdm180sx
03-31-2008, 09:19 PM
When I got my first 240sx back in 1993 it was the only fr alternative to my horribly unreliable Porsche 944.

sillydrift
03-31-2008, 09:41 PM
had a auto 200sx till it blew, my freind gave me a ride in his s13 hatch, got hooked on it and went and got a s14 =D

articdragon192
04-01-2008, 12:14 AM
I got one because I couldn't afford a Z32. Crashed the 240 2.5 years later in an accident and for a Z32.

sb253
04-01-2008, 01:58 AM
I got one because i missed my corolla

WanganRunner
04-15-2008, 07:33 AM
I got one because I'd come from a complicated AWD turbo car (04 WRX) and I wanted something simple, rwd, and NA, so I bought a 98 S14. It was infinitely more fun than my Subie, even though it had like half the horsepower.

I then bought/sold like 20 S-chassis in 3 years (I'm an indecisive guy, lol), and now I own an Integra, haha.

I might buy another 240, but it'll probably be one that already has a substantial amount of work done on it. I don't want anymore ground-up projects, at least not cars (still want cafe CB750 project). No time for that shit.

at23
04-15-2008, 07:48 AM
while I was on okinawa,I was finally allowed to drive.so I needed a car.my buddy had just f'ed up the body on his 14.he didn't want to put anymore money into it.so He gave it to me.Been hooked on the S chassis ever since.

usdm180sx
04-15-2008, 08:26 AM
I wanted a car with faded manual window cranks and faded turn signal and windshield wiper stalks

raz0rbladez909
04-15-2008, 08:28 PM
i bought mine because of an influence a friend had on me around 1998 when i was still in middle school, i'd have to say he was one of the first people to have a sileighty err um silforty in so. cal, it was original at the time, all oem aero except for a kei office front bumper, racing hart cpr's and some bright blue paint (i think mariner blue from the older miatas), sr when they were unheard of in the states and some other hard to get stuff at the time, basically my benchmark for my first build, sold my first one to a friend then bought another when the navy sent me to virginia, car shit a brick and i needed reliable transportation to work sold that. recently bought another when i made a vacation trip to cali and bought my daily out here a mazdaspeed mx5 having both is something i had always wanted

turbobrick
04-15-2008, 10:25 PM
Well, I had always wanted something that was 2 door, sporty and rwd ever since I can remember. When I got my license in 2002, my parents said they would help me buy a car, but of course nothing sporty. I had a long list of cars I wanted, such as a 240sx, rx7, corolla, 944.
When I finally had enough money to buy a car on my own I looked around and I went with a 240sx, also because several of my friends had them too.

TiNMAN
04-15-2008, 10:32 PM
bc theyre sexy as F. wtf? :rawk:

heiyuu
04-16-2008, 12:27 AM
Wanted an s13 since highschool.

Graduated college last may, got a nice job 6 days later.

3 months later I was off probation so I got my 180sx!

Lost my GF 1 week after thou. Still sad to this day.

an_orange_s2k
04-16-2008, 12:52 AM
i always wanted a 240. first it was the s14, now the s13 since i love the retro look.

dops13
04-16-2008, 12:54 AM
Because back in 2002 it was the only FR car I could afford! ($2000 as a high school student)

s14_legend
04-16-2008, 09:12 AM
when i was little i saw the 240sx on the showroom floor and fell in love from the start

kandyflip445
04-16-2008, 10:20 AM
Got mine because I wanted a RWD car, didn't like most of the domestics, and then I found Zilvia. Seriously. lol

S13_Nightkid
04-16-2008, 02:59 PM
because i didnt want to be charged with a failure to be cool in the 3rd degree.

Andrew Bohan
04-16-2008, 03:01 PM
because they are free sometimes

all show no go
04-16-2008, 03:15 PM
well for me it was either a 240, a Del sol, or a Matrix.. :ghey:

PhAtXSuMo
04-16-2008, 03:25 PM
My neighbor (Kyle S.) has a S13 Hatch and i loved the old school look
than i watched initial D saw drifting for my first time in 2004 and went to Balcony in 06 and fell in love =D

I finnaly got my 1st S13 hatch 2 months ago

andmattsayd
04-16-2008, 04:41 PM
becuase im a hypebeast and I like to ruin RWD cars.

skylindrftr
04-17-2008, 12:44 AM
5/13/03 back when drifting was blowing up, was a drifter fanboy, 90, new black paintjob, overfenders, sr w/ boltons, mesh etc... the car didn't even come with an lsd... still have it with various improvements, turning it into a track slut this summer.

lol_1337
04-17-2008, 09:57 AM
To learn how to drift. And it was only 3500 for a full rb20 swap xD.

bigOdom1
04-17-2008, 10:03 AM
I had a friend who had one and i always liked it, the 300zxTT cost to much, and i got a good deal at a time i was looking to start a car project, now its an obsession and i want a couple of them.

s14_legend
04-17-2008, 10:23 AM
yup just for the love of it plain and simple

Dirty Habit
04-17-2008, 10:49 AM
So I could deal with petty problems everytime I drove it. Or didnt.

miklos
05-21-2009, 06:32 PM
I dated a japanese girl who had an S13 and she made me drive her everywhere in her car. Then I bought my own.

slothonaleash
05-21-2009, 06:38 PM
oh my GOD

mslsmizzer

ThatGuy
05-21-2009, 07:04 PM
I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad you brought back this dead thread, just to tell us about some girl you used to date. My day is now complete.

:duh:

Andrew Bohan
05-21-2009, 07:40 PM
i got a 240 cuz they make you sarcastic

spoolandslide
05-21-2009, 07:48 PM
i got mine my sr hatch fronted to me................. by saddam

lolatclint
05-21-2009, 08:35 PM
i got one cause everyone is getting one nowadays and i wana pretend like i drift to be cool :)

thesimpleS13
05-21-2009, 08:38 PM
i got one because i wanted one :)

florante rea
05-21-2009, 10:03 PM
back in 99 i seen an s15 with tanuguchi in a video, closest thing i can get was an s14. i still luv every minute of my car. it's truly an obsession.

Drifterxxl180
05-21-2009, 10:18 PM
A while back I got the chance to meet Kouske Kida, and Fumiaki Komatsu and to see the potential for power to be made and the enjoyment of driving one. I bought one for $200 did a swap and never looked back now I own two S14's and two S13 coupes and three hatches

JohnJohn86
05-22-2009, 02:07 AM
I got mine because I am sick of my old AE86 always breaking down. I used all 4 of my AAA tow within 4-5 months.

Haven't used once since then

Farzam
05-22-2009, 12:36 PM
I'm seated relatively comfortably by one
I like the handling, it's very predictable
They feel (and are) light weight cars
Cool styling
Can fit big wheels
Big aftermarket

enkei2k
05-22-2009, 01:13 PM
i got mine because it was the only black/black car i could find within my price range. plus being a rare car (at that time) for my neighborhood.

keistyle
05-22-2009, 02:21 PM
becuase it was cheep and i use to be a fan boy
but quickly grew out of that and figured out that
240's are cheap and you can style them soo many different wayys
and it still looks good

dont you mean because i showed them to you?
:)

my reason. . the internet, and endless array of pictures and videos did it for me.

adictd2b00st
05-22-2009, 02:29 PM
well to be honest i got my first one ~9 yrs ago while my VR4 was out of commission just to have something fun to drive...... but ended up liking it so much that i sold the mitsu and kept with nissans instead ....... 6 240's later, I have my current one because they are still one of the best bang for the buck cars you can get, and whats not to like about rwd and turbo :)

dolphin
05-22-2009, 02:49 PM
Test drove a friends 240 drunk at the time and now i own one... at the time i drove a rsx.

but now i want a either a sedan, or a truck. so i can be comfy on the way to my fav. fishing spot

sunnys14
05-22-2009, 02:52 PM
Cuz I couldn't afford a S2000...

...now I can!

KoukiMonsta
05-22-2009, 07:27 PM
rwd turbo lightweight cheap....yes please

I LUV MY S13
05-22-2009, 07:40 PM
first car my parents helped me buy..i had no idea wat i was driving till i did research..and here i am now ha

Taniguchi_Is_#1
05-22-2009, 08:21 PM
because of sileightymania and nadine180. so cool. those were the days.

fliprayzin240sx
05-22-2009, 09:59 PM
Because it wasnt a fucking Honda, figured it wont get stolen like everybody I knew who had Civics and Integra. 9 yrs later....FUCK, ITS LIKE HAVING A FUCKING HONDA!!! Ill go buy a fucking Tiburon next...no wait, somebody in here got that stolen too!!!

duffman1278
05-22-2009, 10:01 PM
got it cheap

hegamiz
05-22-2009, 10:03 PM
back in 99 i seen an s15 with tanuguchi in a video, closest thing i can get was an s14. i still luv every minute of my car. it's truly an obsession.

Same minus the tanuguchi part

upsdude
05-22-2009, 11:32 PM
my honda EK got totalled, and something in my head told me to check out 240's.

datboibrad
05-23-2009, 12:29 AM
first car i got was a 94 325i. hated it cause it was a sedan and the gas mileage sucked balls, especially for a jobless highschool student. eventually the clutch went out which i fixed on my own at 16. TOOK ME A FUCKING WEEK lol. few months later motor took a dump sold shell and parted out the rest of the engine. saved up some money after getting my first job.

buddy of mine got me into hondas like alot of us. so i bought an integra. looking back on it now it was a great learning platform for me. swapped it from auto to 5 speed. non vtec to vtec. etc. got tired of fwd and snapping axles (although i never had one single engine related problem after tons of beating on it). sold the integra for like 4300 bux. few months prior to selling the integra a buddy of mine was bailing out on a "drift/drag" car build on his 89 hatch and sold it to me for 50 bux. at this time i was heavy into drifting from magazines, video games what ever i could get my hands on.

after i sold the integra i remember'd i had this stripped to hell and back hatch with no motor and said hey this is my chance at rwd. bought an sr for like 1500 (in 05) put it together and have been completely hooked since the first time i cranked it and let it idle. ive driven/built etc alot of different cars but very few cars IMO where as fun to drive on low hp motors than the sohc/dohc ka 240.

Kaizen.
05-23-2009, 01:10 AM
Because all my friends had Hondas and Fords. I wanted a Supra but couldn't afford one so I got an s14

BADBADA
05-23-2009, 02:42 AM
Went to my first drift event and fell in love

CrimsonRockett
05-23-2009, 09:48 AM
For the womenz.

:keke:

cserrano86
05-24-2009, 12:08 PM
I used to have a Mustang. It was a Cobra but it was still very annoying driving down the street and seeing another mustang every 50 feet...
I got my 240 because I wanted to be somewhat unique (at least more unique than a Mustang). And I love the way S14s look. So I got one...

1ZlowZ
05-24-2009, 01:59 PM
My bro and I had 280z's before we wanted something newer we got 240sx's my first one was an auto s13, did the AT to MT swap in like 1-2 weeks, I was 14 years old haha.

heavenskrow
06-04-2009, 07:12 PM
my 1st car was a 95 toyota celica automatic...
i hit a curb crossing a red light...and it got a lil fucked up...and i was so sik of the stupid slow auto car so after enough saving up 10grand worth...i was in the market for a car.
Being a college student, I wanted a car that was somewhat sporty, 5spd, RELIABLE, ECONOMICAL, and FUN.
First I was looking at Z32s, sc300s, RSX-S, 350z, s2k...
but when i found a pic of a s14 KOUKI IWAS HOOKED!!!
never saw one before 18 years of my life......and thats when the search began for a 240sx.
I also like it now because its EXTREMELY rare in my area(rich kids with beamers and mercedez in high school) and its a sexy car!
One thing i dont like is that its a little too slow with ka24de....and its not that economical though its a 4banger....

Kamburrito
06-04-2009, 07:15 PM
For the womenz.

:keke:

thats the spirit.

same reason.

driftphenom
06-07-2009, 10:52 AM
i loved s14 zenki, not kouki, from playing gran turismo. i was always under the impression that they were japan only cars. (cuz thats how gran turismo rolled, only jdm stuff). then i was at the beach one day, and i was like " holy shit, theres a silvia" and an older friend of mine told me that it was a 240sx, and the gears in my head started rolling. it was the first "really" nice car i had ever seen. it seemed exotic at the time. i still remember the sour apple green color it was. after i learned i could attain a "silvia" in the us, i knew i was going to have one.

thats what sparked my knowledge of the s chassis, then came the endless research, and its been a downhill money pit ever since.

thanks alot gran turismo

S14TEENZ
06-07-2009, 11:08 AM
the old man got me one in highschool and said you will love it...and i did.

s13k4v13
06-08-2009, 02:33 AM
my dad passed it down too me/1st owner :]
i was pissed when i first had it because i wanted to be like everyone else in LB and get a honda :X

gsxr141
06-08-2009, 04:57 AM
cause it was cheep, and i needed a project to work on.

revat619
06-08-2009, 05:11 AM
When i was looking to buy my first car, my dad said it couldn't be turbo and it had to have 4 seats. I REALLY wanted to buy this kouki sw20 MR2 that a friend of mine was selling, but because of the parental rules that wasn't allowed. I couldn't stand anything Honda and DSM's had glass trannies so i looked at the 300ZX 2+2 next, only to realize how stupid it looked. While i was looking up stuff on the Z i read about the horror stories of working on them in general so said eff THAT noise. It was during that research that i came across Zilvia and i saw Mark West's old S14 zenki....

Even though s14 rear seat are completely useless, it met the parental requirements and to top it off, it didn't look like shit, i could afford it, it wasn't a Honda, and there was aftermarket support. I was sold. Been fooling with these stupid cars ever since. 240sx is a helluva drug.

Thanks a lot Mark....damn near 10 years of this shit. ITS ALL YOUR FAULT!!!! :D

aziankingz
06-08-2009, 11:44 AM
got my 240 bc i wanted something fun, nice looking, cheap and rwd.. soon found out that it is a damn fun, nice looking, cheap, and rwd money pitt!!

flip3d
06-08-2009, 11:48 AM
<---- fanboi

///M3LVIN
06-08-2009, 12:04 PM
because my m3 is too precious to me to slide.

imotion s14
06-08-2009, 01:03 PM
1997 - Saw an old option video some friends swiped from a Ricer shop. From what I recall it was 1997 Tokyo Auto Salon. Saw drifting for the first time. Can't say I was hooked, but it stuck in my mind. I didn't know what it was and neither did my ricer friends. Came to realize what it was later.

1998 - Got a real driver's licens. My freshman and sophomore years there were 2 cars I wanted more than anything.. an Eclipse and a Honda.

I got neither.

What I got was a 90hp Toyota Turd-cel with a bad CV joint. Had to do a running start just to get on the freeway. Had to park at Kroger's because I couldn't afford a parking pass on campus. Gas was 89 cents, which still was expensive to a broke ass high school student. Fat redneck lady ran a red light and hit The Turd-mobile my Junior year. My sister bought a car so I got the Grand Am as a hand-me down.

1999 - One day driving home, I saw a red 300ZX parked at this used car lot. Love at first sight. That was my goal. I got a job delivering pizza after school. $7.50.

I was balling.

I liked taking pics of 300ZX and telling people it was mine, but I don't drive it to school because it's parked in the Batcave to keep it safe.

Honest.

Summer goes by, i saved a meager $2500. A 1995 300ZX TT was going for $20000+.

Reality Crushes Broke High schooler's Dream.

Senior year start that fall. 2 things influenced me. 1) Non Fujita's 240SX on the cover of Super Steet and 2) The infamous Slide Squad issue. (finally found out what drifting ws)

I started looking for a "240SX" that fall. By that time they have been out of production for nearly 2 years. I found many, even that really rare blue green color. But it wasn't until June of 2000 that I found the one with all the options I wanted. paid $10,850 TTL.

It's been my S14 ever since.

Andrew Bohan
06-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Non Fujita's 240SX on the cover of Super Steet and The infamous Slide Squad issue.

slide squad issue + my friend from japan + 1988 F-150 + snowy parking lots = how i got interested in drifting :)

the non fujita 240 issue pushed me toward the whole 240 thing too.

rastaman
06-08-2009, 01:31 PM
love the look of the kouki way back before drifting became big so I got one

Marcus
06-08-2009, 01:37 PM
i had the opportunity to buy a "limited edition" white 5spd black interior sc300.
but i couldnt afford it, i was 3k short at the time. fml

so i drove down the street and got a white 97 with 40kmiles in 04. turned out to be somewhat better

unlegendary
06-08-2009, 08:45 PM
to be eligible to post on zilvia

reelyfast
06-08-2009, 09:00 PM
i bought one because it's teh sexiest car ever, imo.

just wish my hatchback would transform into a coupe :(

DALAZ_68
06-09-2009, 09:23 AM
because im cheap......

K_style
06-09-2009, 09:43 AM
because i had extreme good deal on trading my fd3s with some guys 97 s14 /w sr20

that how it started... 8 total 240sx since then....

Blurryeyes
06-09-2009, 11:30 AM
because I was broke at the moment

jarober
06-09-2009, 11:36 AM
Because pop-ups are sleek. And I just loved the car as a teenager.

tougekid
06-09-2009, 11:37 AM
koguchi....

ZenkiCam
06-09-2009, 10:22 PM
i honestly dont know why i got one. probably because i wanted a cool first car. i take that back, it wasnt my first car, my first car was a 2004 350z, but it was auto and i couldnt afford it, so i got a 5spd cheap RWD nissan alternative.

Bubbles
06-10-2009, 12:09 AM
because i had extreme good deal on trading my fd3s with some guys 97 s14 /w sr20

WTF???

Seriously?