PDA

View Full Version : Help with court please!

swang
01-01-2008, 03:30 PM
okay so tomorrow im going to juvenile court. (So Cal)
and im not so sure how this works in socal...

ive heard stories where the cop MUST show up. or your innocent.
also heard cop doesn't have too and the judge will jus go off what he wrote down on that stupid yellow ticket.

my ticket was 22349a "Speeding" going 85 on a freeway with a Speed limit of 65. open traffic no cars no people...just me and out of no where a cop. http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/images/smilies/scared.gif

so im not really sure..are there any sheriffs here that can help me?

since im a juvenile i think the judge will just decide..im hoping to get traffic school.

thanks guys

eastcoastS14
01-01-2008, 03:56 PM
idk about cali but here if the cop doesnt show up they usuallyy throw the case out or reduce the fine by a lot...probably the same over there

drifting.8
01-01-2008, 04:04 PM
respect...
the power of disernment.
if your respectful to the judge you will go far.

Tops*
01-01-2008, 04:05 PM
idk about cali but here if the cop doesnt show up they usuallyy throw the case out or reduce the fine by a lot...probably the same over there

Same in Michigan. If a cop doesn't show up, you're innocent.

GL.

ThatGuy
01-01-2008, 04:26 PM
"Prayer for Judgement" ,or "PJC" in lawyer talk.

Look it up. Google is your friend.

I swear I've said this a few dozen times already. :duh:

bamaboy
01-01-2008, 06:47 PM
bring the vaseline and prepare to get screwed. In Georgia and Alabama if you are under 18 and get caught speeding more than 15 miles over the limit you lose your license until you are 18 or 1 year, what ever is longer. Hope for the best but prepare for the worse. I would make sure my bicycle had a tune up if I were you.

MADE
01-01-2008, 07:04 PM
If it's your first ticket your in luck kinda. Go to court and if the cop doesn't show up you don't even have to speak to a judge for the trial. If he does show up then plead no contest and ask can you go to traffic school which the ticket points will not show on your record. BTW the speed really doesn't count for points unless your over 100Mph which you lose your privelge(sp). It will affect the fine though.

HalveBlue
01-01-2008, 09:42 PM
^^Is that a fact?

All legal system are different, but usually speeding has a tiered system where the points accumulated against your record depend on the speed you were going.

For instance, 1-5mph over the limit = 1 point, 6-10mph = 2 points, etc.

Again, all the states handle matters differently.

In Colorado, you talk to the DA and try to work out a deal. If that doesn't land you anywhere you're scheduled for a pre-trial hearing where you talk to the DA again, and then the judge. Then if you're still bent on going to court your case will be heard by a judge.

FWIW, it doesn't really seem like there's anything you can do other than show up. If your theory holds, then it's all up to whether the cop shows up for the hearing or not, which isn't something you can control anyway. And in some cases they will just reschedule your appearance (at least in some states).

Good Luck, don't speed!

90KAcoupe
01-01-2008, 09:51 PM
just dress nice.. and be respectful and normally the judge will be nice.. but ur probably gonna have to go to traffic school..

MADE
01-01-2008, 09:58 PM
I've had 2 speeding tickets in California and my last I was worried about it because it stated 80+ on the ticket. In Cali 80 is normal on the Interstate, but I have an out of state license and my state would look at 80+ and would likely pull my DL. I went to court to try to have it reduced which doesn't work in CA and the judge personally stated that the code which I had and I believe is the same as the OP had is just speeding and the speed doesn't go down on file. Which makes since because the my first ticket didn't have an actual speed listed just the code. When I went to court I was fined a small amount I forgot but another driver was fined a bit more than me and it was only a 4 MPH difference. Now if you going over 100MPH make sure you have a ride home from court because you will lose you DL on the spot. As stated above be respectful dress accordingly and don't argue with the cop because he will be wired tight with the details if he shows. Never mention your speed because speeding is speeding. i.e "Your honor I know I wasn't going 85 maybe 75 but".....

Just speaking from exp, but check the state regs for the facts.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22349.htm

cc4usmc
01-01-2008, 11:41 PM
just dress nice.. and be respectful and normally the judge will be nice.. but ur probably gonna have to go to traffic school..

X2. Fresh haircut too. Just pretend your going to a job interview. :jerkit:

KA-T_240
01-02-2008, 01:39 AM
Dress nice, cover things that don't look "professional" always respect the judge. and don't try to make up stupid lies/storys or anything, it will only get you in more trouble and the Judge has more then likely heard it 2000000000000000000 times.

swang
01-02-2008, 11:20 AM
UPDATE

alright so this morning i went to court

sat down with a bunch of other minors in a small room with the judge

and he went through all of them and then finally me.

so yes its true i broke 22349a
so i told him "yes sir that is true, but i am also bound to a host of other laws such as the "basic speed law".

Judge , "whats the basic speed law?"

so i read him it.
basically no vehicle will speed beyond safety on California highways

and he says " but thats not the code on your ticket and besides that only applies to highways."

so is a freeway not a highway?
Dictionary.com
Highway syn. Freeway.

Also Code 22349a states nothing above 65mph on any cali HIGHWAY.

damn im so pissed cuz my judge doesnt know engrish. srry for the rant.
thanks for all the advice guys

now i got traffic school.
and the reason why i dont want points is because
im taking school to become an automotive tech
the less points the better.

Phlip
01-02-2008, 11:30 AM
What effect would the number of points you have on your license have on your aspirations to be a tech?

PRADOgy
01-02-2008, 11:30 AM
are there any sheriffs here that can help me?

:rofl: :bowrofl: :rofl:
sorry bro.....but that was comedy

now umm last ticket i had.. i plead not guilty and the CHP officer failed to appear and the judge just said "dismissed" and on my merry way i went

(system):boink:

ThatGuy
01-02-2008, 11:34 AM
"Prayer for Judgement" ,or "PJC" in lawyer talk.

Look it up. Google is your friend.

I swear I've said this a few dozen times already. :duh:

Did anyone even bother to look this up? :zzz:

BustedS13
01-02-2008, 11:41 AM
my last ticket was 98 in a 60. no points, no traffic school.

Bobafreak
01-02-2008, 12:11 PM
IF its traffic court they will decrease the amount by half and you can go to traffic school. If you dont want traffic school and want to pay the fine you can do so as well. But there is a point on your record. You can also fight the ticket which could lead to this.

They will show up, unless you got really good evidence, witnesses 50% chance you could win and case dismissed. He could not show up, case dismissed, Cop shows up, shows proof usually wins you lose you pay full amount of fine. why the full amount? because you lose the right to pay the less amount when you go to traffic court. You cannot ask for traffic school either due to the fact you lose that right when you decided to fight the ticket.
Hope that helps

jackjack
01-02-2008, 12:19 PM

same in IL. buddy of mine has had at least 10 speeding tickets thrown out :spank:

PRADOgy
01-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Did anyone even bother to look this up? :zzz:

"A "Prayer for Judgement" citation means that the court reserves the
right to pass judgement later. The driver is charged the cost of
court, no decision is rendered, and no points are assigned (except for
a third Prayer Judgement citation within five years.) The judge can
come back and finalize the citation later. A household can use on PJC
as long as no-one else has used a PJC in the last three years. If
another violation occurs in the 3 years a PJC is on your record, both
violations (and related points) get placed on your driving record.
Getting a PJC will depend on the judge and the violation. When I
received mine, I spoke with the DA and had the speed lowered to 9 mph
over the speed limit. I later learned that NC DMV regulations state
that at 9 or less over the speed limit, there are no drivers license
points.
Prayer for judgement" North Carolina speeding
PJC North Carolina"

s13monkey
01-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Points on his lic. affect him if he wants to work at a car dealer.One of my friends got a DUI (f**king dumb ass) and lost he's job as a tech.

kensreliableb18b
01-02-2008, 01:03 PM
oh man you have it easy; nothing to worry about.

when i was 16-17 i forgot, i totalled my car, got speeding and wreckless driving charge.

i got something like 30 day suspension, but could drive to and from school.

ima big boy now :)