PDA

View Full Version : Mazda's 16x motor

PRADOgy
12-28-2007, 12:17 PM
Still future for ROTARY?!

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2007/10/mazda-developin.html

Forty years after the introduction of the rotary engine Cosmo Sport in 1967, Mazda is at work on its next-generation (http://www.media.mazda.com/Access/material/kit/2007tokyo/pdf/03e.pdf) rotary powerplant: the direct injection 16X, a 1,600 cc (800 cc x 2) engine with a new trochoid chamber shape aimed at further improving thermal efficiency and boosting torque at all engine speeds.
With the next-generation RENESIS, Mazda has changed the cocoon shape of the trochoid rotor housing. This marks a further evolution of the basic structure of the engine which began with an early period of over seven years spent researching the optimum trochoid shape, from the introduction of the first 10A (491cc x 2) in 1967, followed by the 13A (655cc x 2), 12A (573cc x 2) and the current 13B (654cc x 2).
http://www.greencarcongress.com/images/2007/10/24/rx162.png (http://bioage.typepad.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/2007/10/24/rx162.png) Shape changes in the new RENESIS. Note the change in shape from the current 13B rotary. Click to enlarge.
This shape change is brought about by reducing the rotor housing width and housing thickness while increasing the trochoid outline, resulting in a displacement increase to 800 cc x 2. But despite this dimensional increase, Mazda was able to keep the engine itself essentially as compact and lightweight as the current RENESIS.
As for its specific shape, increasing the trochoid radius and eccentricity and reducing rotor housing width achieved a longer stroke, thereby shrinking the combustion chamber aspect ratio. Due to this modification, the surface area-to-volume ratio of the combustion chamber decreases, enabling a reduction in cooling losses.
Also, since the very tight space in the combustion chamber is reduced, flame growth is promoted and the engine exhibits faster combustion and better fuel economy. As well as improving fuel economy, Mazda is simultaneously pursuing higher torque at all engine speeds.
The next-generation RENESIS is the first gasoline rotary engine developed to use direct fuel injection. The system inherits the basic design concept of the hydrogen rotary engine, injecting gasoline in a high-pressure spray during the intake cycle, promoting atomization and vaporization of fuel and the formation of a stable air-fuel mixture.
The latent heat of fuel vaporization lowers the temperature of the air-fuel mixture, thus raising the engine’s charging efficiency. At the same time, it reduces fuel adhesion to the chamber wall, which has been a problem of the conventional port injection system, while promoting a more homogeneous air-fuel mixture. This in turn leads to substantially improved thermal efficiency and increased torque, and Mazda is actively researching further improvements in efficiency.
http://www.greencarcongress.com/images/2007/10/24/taiki.png (http://bioage.typepad.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/2007/10/24/taiki.png) The concept Taiki uses the new rotary engine. CLick to enlarge.
In developing the new engine, Mazda engineers have dramatically improved both power output and environmental efficiency. They have also contributed to further increases in fuel-economy and driving performance by lightening the vehicle weight.
Mazda Taiki concept. Mazda applied a version of the new RENESIS combined with a dry twin clutch 7-speed power shift in its Taiki concept car, unveiled at the Tokyo Motor Show.

RedStage
12-28-2007, 01:30 PM
good to see Mazda continuing the Rotary.

jrmiller84
12-28-2007, 02:12 PM
That concept car is going to create lift.. :bite:

Matej
12-28-2007, 03:19 PM
They've put so much money into constant researching and redesigning of the rotary motor, it's been 40 years, it should be the engine of all engines by now, but obviously it's still not, so they should put the money somewhere where it's needed, produce cars that look good.

PRADOgy
12-28-2007, 03:50 PM
They've put so much money into constant researching and redesigning of the rotary motor, it's been 40 years, it should be the engine of all engines by now, but obviously it's still not, so they should put the money somewhere where it's needed, produce cars that look good.

are you kidding? show me a stock motor of the same displacement putting out of equal or more power that consistant

Matej
12-28-2007, 04:06 PM
are you kidding? show me a stock motor of the same displacement putting out of equal or more power that consistant
Show me a daily-driven rotary with 200K miles. :bigok:

HyperTek
12-28-2007, 04:29 PM
its not that the rotary is a bad engine, its that the general market has already got that mindset idea that they dont last very long. The american market is the only country in the world that has cars run up to 150k+ miles.

dont want this to be a piston vs rotary thread, theres tons of those.. just thought id say once you drive a boosted rotary, you realize its potential, theres just stuff you cant do with it, like run seafoam, beat on it, neglect maintanence etc.. lol, but take care of it, and it will take care of you. Im sure these newer rotarys will probably be more reliable then prior rotarys, hence why they are working to improve the design.

PoorMans180SX
12-28-2007, 08:09 PM
I'm glad they're continuing the rotary. I think it's a great motor, just obviously different from what people are used to. Direct injection and 300 more cc's sounds good to me.

I do wish they would re-hire whoever designed the FD RX-7 though.

ixfxi
12-28-2007, 08:26 PM

Show me a daily-driven rotary with 200K miles. :bigok:

BAM. Matej hit the nail on the head.

Fuckin Mazda, the way I see it, rotary technology is a niche passion. There are a handful of folks who love it, and then there's the majority that dont.

Facts are facts though: they drink gas, burn oil, and have a short lifespan. Get past that, and its a great car.. right? Wrong. To me, the whole point of a great car is having a fucking *car* ... or a vehicle, if you will.......... that works!

S13Boosts
12-28-2007, 08:33 PM
thats coo to hear mazda still keeping their rotary motors!:x: