PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Escapes From San Francisco Zoo, Killing 1, Injuring 2

RJF
12-26-2007, 09:24 AM
Tiger Escapes From San Francisco Zoo, Killing 1, Injuring 2
Wednesday, December 26, 2007

SAN FRANCISCO —

Investigators trying to determine how a tiger escaped its enclosure at the San Francisco Zoo — killing one visitor and mauling two others on Christmas — planned a thorough sweep of the zoo grounds Wednesday to look for clues.

Authorities did not believe more people were attacked, but they wanted to inspect the area in the daylight. Zoo officials were still uncertain how long the Siberian tiger, the same one that mauled a zookeeper last year, was loose before being shot dead.

The three men who were attacked Tuesday while visiting the zoo were in their 20s, police spokesman Steve Mannina said. The attack occurred just after the 5 p.m. closing time, on the east end of the 125-acre grounds.

They suffered "pretty aggressive bite marks," Mannina said.

The zoo was to be closed Wednesday.

The two injured men were listed in stable condition at San Francisco General Hospital. Dr. John Brown, an emergency room physician, told ABC's "Good Morning America" on Wednesday they suffered deep bites and claw cuts to their heads, necks, arms and hands.

"These injuries are severe injuries, but they are very treatable," Brown said, "and these two gentlemen seem to be in good health, so I think they have a good chance."

The Siberian tiger, named Tatiana, was the same giant cat that attacked a zookeeper just about a year ago during a public feeding, said Robert Jenkins, the zoo's director of animal care and conservation.

The approximately 300-pound female did not leave through an open door, Jenkins said. But he could not explain how it escaped — the tiger's enclosure is surrounded by a 15-foot-wide moat and 20-foot-high walls.

"There was no way out through the door," Jenkins said. "The animal appears to have climbed or otherwise leaped out of the enclosure."

The first attack happened right outside the Siberian's enclosure — the victim died at the scene. A group of four officers came across his body when they made their way into the dark zoo grounds, Mannina said.

The second victim was about 300 yards away, in front of the Terrace Cafe. The man was sitting on the ground, blood running from gashes in his head and Tatiana sitting next to him.

The cat attacked the man again, Mannina said. The officers approaching the tiger with their handguns. Tatiana moved in their direction and several of the officers fired, killing the animal.

Only then did they see the third victim, who had also been mauled.

The zoo is open 365 days a year. Although no new visitors were let in after 5 p.m., the grounds were not scheduled to close until an hour later, and there were between 20 and 25 people still on site when the attacks happened, zoo officials said. Employees and visitors were told to take shelter when zoo officials learned of the attacks.

"This is a tragic event for San Francisco," Fire Department spokesman Lt. Ken Smith said. "We pride ourselves in our zoo, and we pride ourselves in tourists coming and looking at our city."

There are five tigers at the zoo — three Sumatrans and two Siberians. Officials initially worried that four tigers had escaped, but soon learned only one had escaped its pen, Mannina said.

On Dec. 22, 2006, Tatiana reached through the cage's iron bars and attacked a keeper with her claws and teeth, causing deep lacerations to the worker's arms. The zoo's Lion House was temporarily closed during an investigation.

California's Division of Occupational Safety and Health blamed the zoo for the assault and imposed a $18,000 penalty. A medical claim filed against the city by the keeper was denied.

Mayor Gavin Newsom said in a statement he was deeply saddened by the latest attack and that a thorough investigation was under way.

After last year's attack, the zoo added customized steel mesh over the bars, built in a feeding shoot and increased the distance between the public and the cats.

Tatiana arrived at the San Francisco Zoo from the Denver Zoo a few years ago, with zoo officials hoping she would mate with a male tiger. Siberian tigers are classified as endangered and there are more than 600 of the animals living in captivity worldwide.

Farzam
12-26-2007, 09:27 AM
Fuck that tiger

What a grumpy bitch, ruinin the holidays and shit

Phlip
12-26-2007, 09:36 AM
Did anyone stop to question how she got out, when they'd gone out of the way to make it near impossible for a tiger to get out of the cage, and furthermore why no one was paying attention as a tiger magically navigated a 15-foot moat and a 20-foot wall.
Furthermore, was there some means of not having to shoot the tiger dead? I mean, she was doing precisely what the fuck tigers do, no?

qwikspool
12-26-2007, 10:48 AM
yeah saw this on the news last night. shit is pretty crazy.

FaLKoN240
12-26-2007, 11:06 AM
Did anyone stop to question how she got out, when they'd gone out of the way to make it near impossible for a tiger to get out of the cage, and furthermore why no one was paying attention as a tiger magically navigated a 15-foot moat and a 20-foot wall.

Santa used his sleigh and reindeers.

SiI40sx
12-26-2007, 11:08 AM
Furthermore, was there some means of not having to shoot the tiger dead? I mean, she was doing precisely what the fuck tigers do, no?

"the tiger didnt go crazy, the tiger went tiger"

- chris rock

Phlip
12-26-2007, 11:10 AM
Santa used his sleigh and reindeers.

C'mon, Scott...
Santa weighs like 600 pounds, not to mention the fact that he had a sleigh with about 9 million copies of the Guitar Queero game, you think the reindeer could have taken on a 300 pound tigress? Not to mention the fact that the very presence of her places their own lives in danger?
I am disagreeing with you on this one, man.

Andrew Bohan
12-26-2007, 11:35 AM
i think one of the zoo workers had beef with the tiger, and pretended to be nice and let it out.

"i'm not doing you a favor by letting you escape, tiger" the worker said, "i'm doing me a favor by getting rid of you."

but the worker knew some shit would go down and the tiger would get killed.

cruel trick.

BustedS13
12-26-2007, 11:46 AM

- chris rock

the tiger went crazy when it was riding around on a little bike with a hitler helmet on. "oh shit, i'm a crazy tiger! oh lawd, i'm crazy! what is gon do?"

smellslikecurry
12-26-2007, 12:02 PM
good thing it wasnt a bengal tiger...you cant stop the bengalis woooo...over populating and destroying resources since 1971!!!

azndoc
12-26-2007, 12:18 PM
Is it wrong that while I was checking out the Lion's Habitat at the MGM I was thinking of how cool it would be if one of the lions attacked the two guys inside their pen.

But it didn't happen so I'm glad.

Or am I?

LOL ** in a cruel manner**

LB.Motoring
12-26-2007, 12:29 PM

- chris rock

OH shitttttttttttt,

GET THE TUSSIN! :bigok:

Johny5
12-26-2007, 12:33 PM
$10 to the first person to whoop an escapee tigers ass

12-26-2007, 12:48 PM
$10 to the first person to whoop an escapee tigers ass

*Insert Eye of the Tiger song*

SiI40sx
12-26-2007, 12:52 PM
I wonder if there's the slightly smallest possibility for a human to fuck up a tiger...... I'm talkin the biggest baddest craziest motherfucker alive vs a tiger. Any chance at all??? Like if anything, have the human wear full kevlar armor, Id pay some money to see that

alindeman1989
12-26-2007, 01:05 PM
that would suck to be at the zoo with your kids that day

ilia
12-26-2007, 01:45 PM
Maybe it's inhumane to put tigers in cages? Maybe they don't like it? NAAAAH they're just going crazy!

BustedS13
12-26-2007, 02:09 PM
I wonder if there's the slightly smallest possibility for a human to fuck up a tiger...... I'm talkin the biggest baddest craziest motherfucker alive vs a tiger. Any chance at all??? Like if anything, have the human wear full kevlar armor, Id pay some money to see that

you'd have to like, rip its sack off, and gouge its eyes. and that'd require not getting your throat ripped out, or getting disemboweled, in the process.
bare minimum, you'd need the craziest dude on the planet, and he'd need to cover his full torso in kevlar.

but that's hand to paw. i think fair would be no body armor if:
the tiger is declawed
human gets a small melee weapon, like a pocket knife

Gnnr
12-26-2007, 02:42 PM
WTF? This is like the third tiger related incident within the last week.

ManoNegra
12-26-2007, 03:50 PM
you'd have to like, rip its sack off, and gouge its eyes. and that'd require not getting your throat ripped out, or getting disemboweled, in the process.
bare minimum, you'd need the craziest dude on the planet, and he'd need to cover his full torso in kevlar.

but that's hand to paw. i think fair would be no body armor if:
the tiger is declawed
human gets a small melee weapon, like a pocket knife

This is the reason Meth exists. Make it so!

Maybe a zoo employees didn't get bonuses this year and one 'accidentally' forgot to lock a cage...

PhilthyS13
12-26-2007, 05:50 PM
They still don't know what exactly happened, but:

1) The three victims knew each other.

2) I heard they found food (like nachos - ?) in the trench separating the visitors from the enclosure, which may mean they were throwing stuff at the tigers.

3) They didn't have slugs, so they used .40 cals to shoot it hundreds of times (she was like 300 lb.). I'd want at least a .50AE.

They were unsure how many got out, so the cops spent all last night searching the zoo. They are still unsure how she got out.

BustedS13
12-26-2007, 05:55 PM
i heard on the radio that the dead guy was 17.

ONYX S-13
12-26-2007, 07:30 PM
Don't mess with tigers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jojNzvtP6LY

I like the comment "The stick! It does nothing!!"

jeeper_x
12-26-2007, 10:40 PM
http://againess.wikidot.com/local--files/help-to-stop-the-tiger-trade/7CobraLeuthaiTiger2004-WildAid.jpg

I googled Doppo Orochi (tiger slayer) and this first picture came out......

i just had to share this horror.........:aw:

S13Boosts
12-26-2007, 11:05 PM
man that sucks..:spank:

ManoNegra
12-26-2007, 11:58 PM
^^ ugh... didn't need to see that.

WERDdabuilder
12-27-2007, 12:05 AM
you think when the park employees heard of the tiger attack over the radio they said "oh this is grrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeat"

joke..joke.

womenbeshoppin
12-27-2007, 12:53 AM
you think when the park employees heard of the tiger attack over the radio they said "oh this is grrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeat"

joke..joke.
o jezz...........

origin_s135
12-27-2007, 09:55 AM
i was out drinking last night at a friend's house, this popped up on the news, and my other friend that was there was telling us that one of the people that died was his bosses cousin. pretty fucked up.

hnugen
12-27-2007, 10:12 AM
looks like someone had the Christmas blues.

exitspeed
12-27-2007, 10:15 AM
They are reporting that the three men were antagonizing the tiger before the attack.

So the tiger just got pissed, escaped and went and hunted the three men down. They are saying it wasn't a coincidence that the three men were together, and they were the only ones attacked.

It's sad, but that tiger fuckin owned those dudes.

womenbeshoppin
12-27-2007, 01:57 PM
i woulda armbar'd that bitch