PDA

View Full Version : Gas Saving Tips

kvahag
12-25-2007, 12:58 AM
hey guys, browsing the internet and found this cool bit of info.

HOPE IT HELPS with these [email protected]$%ING gas prices so high.

These are some GREAT tips for saving money on gas. So here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every gallon. Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose , CA we deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons.

TIP #1: Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role. A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

TIP #2: When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

TIP #3: One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work,every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

TIP #4: VERY IMPORTANT: Another reminder. If there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up--most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

Hope this will help you get the most value for your money. See what you're getting into.before you go there See it!

azndoc
12-25-2007, 01:07 AM
I heard about tip number 4 but the rest is interesting and makes sense.

Thanks.

PhilthyS13
12-25-2007, 01:15 AM
What's the difference between half full and half empty? A pessimist and an optimist?

vinhnumber
12-25-2007, 01:18 AM
i knew about 2 and 3

thanks for the others, Verdi nize! information!

+rep for yousssss.

kvahag
12-25-2007, 01:18 AM
I heard about tip number 4 but the rest is interesting and makes sense.

Thanks.

yea they do seem to make sense.

What's the difference between half full and half empty? A pessimist and an optimist?

i think it's pretty much the same thing. halfway lol.

Matej
12-25-2007, 01:38 AM
Stay out of boost. :bigok:

M4Rl0N
12-25-2007, 01:41 AM
this is some good shit to know
i didnt noe any of it...

DreamN
12-25-2007, 01:48 AM
sweet dude, good find.

hustlervibes
12-25-2007, 01:55 AM
Definetly something I will keep in mind when I get gas, thanks for the tips.

2iv0 sx
12-25-2007, 02:19 AM
I've heard about 3 & 4

The first two are something to keep in mind.

Farzam
12-25-2007, 02:25 AM
I want to know how much this helps.

Like doing it at night on low, how much gas does that give me? .2 gal? Less?

Honestly...i'm not that guy that looks for the cheapest gas station.

A few cents for every gallon adds up to maybe a pack of cigs a month.

My time is worth more than a few pennies saved.

12-25-2007, 02:33 AM
Good tips! Thanks for sharing.

... but I feel the same way as Farzam.

kvahag
12-25-2007, 04:42 AM
I want to know how much this helps.

Like doing it at night on low, how much gas does that give me? .2 gal? Less?

Honestly...i'm not that guy that looks for the cheapest gas station.

A few cents for every gallon adds up to maybe a pack of cigs a month.

My time is worth more than a few pennies saved.

yes, true. :bow: but i just thought it was ideas that made sense so i threw it out.

womenbeshoppin
12-25-2007, 04:50 AM
i doubt doing any of that will make much of a difference, except number 4.

98s14inaz
12-25-2007, 08:07 AM
I could have swore Mythbusters busted a few of these or my alzheimers is kicking in again.

B18C5MK1
12-25-2007, 10:09 AM
dont drive with your windows down.
dont drive around on E or with less than a quarter of a tank.
quit being a lead foot.. drive at a consistent speed.

i always get passed by prius' doing like 80-85 in the carpool lane. People need to understand the way hybrid electrics works-

slow speeds, as long as the batteries have 'juice', are run exclusively on battery power, with the gas engine only kicking in under hard acceleration and above certain speeds. The prius uses a VERY small 4 cylinder engine to get the car moving at highway speeds. So, to hit 80-85 mph +, the engine is absolutely screaming. it simply has minimal power and would require high rpm's to acheive this sort of velocity. hybrids make most of their mileage gains in city driving, when the stop and go is accomplished mostly by the electric motor and regenerating through the complex braking system. the fact is that driving a hybrid like the prius at 80+ miles per hour guzzles gas almost twice as fast as a v-8 engine would. i've seen C5 vettes do 70mph and still get 30mpg.. not to mention that the tires on the prius aren't rated for that speed, making it an electric/fuel bomb/missle.

but back on topic. good advice. i knew about #1 and #2...
what's the difference between a "half empty" tank and a "half full" tank?! is it personal preference.. like "i'm a tank half full kinda guy" lol

murda-c
12-25-2007, 10:13 AM
why can't you drive around on E?

KAT0
12-25-2007, 10:29 AM
Excellent tips!!! You learn something new every day.

I usually go to http://www.fueleconomy.gov/ to get more information about specific car and other ways to save gas. It's a good source of information for those who aren't so technical (in case you know someone who goes through gas faster than they can breath).

ms!3
12-25-2007, 10:43 AM
why can't you drive around on E?

wondering the same thing. haha im always on E. feel like im wasting money if i fill up more than $5-10 at a time. lmao.

WILDACEX187
12-25-2007, 10:43 AM
thanx for the info.

HyperTek
12-25-2007, 10:44 AM
this is great thank you!!! this fawking rx7 is killing me hahha

jskateborders
12-25-2007, 11:07 AM
Is that drive the speed limit thing true or just a ploy? I would think that while your going faster, your burning more gas... but your also getting further.

KAT0
12-25-2007, 11:57 AM
Is that drive the speed limit thing true or just a ploy? I would think that while your going faster, your burning more gas... but your also getting further.
Personally, I found that it depends on circumstances. I've often thought about it too, but depending on my trips, I've proved and disproved it.

On extended trips, such as going to NY or traveling longer than 45 minutes, going around 70-75 tops is better on the mileage than 65. As for shorter distances and city driving, it's easier to go the limit. If you check the website I provided, it shows some graphs to help demonstrate ideal performance.

That's just my opinion, though, from experience. I have no solid facts on the matter.

KAT0
12-25-2007, 11:59 AM
hey guys, browsing the internet and found this cool bit of info.

HOPE IT HELPS with these [email protected]$%ING gas prices so high.

These are some GREAT tips for saving money on gas. So here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every gallon. Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose , CA we deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons.

TIP #1: Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role. A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

TIP #2: When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

TIP #3: One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work,every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

TIP #4: VERY IMPORTANT: Another reminder. If there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up--most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

Hope this will help you get the most value for your money. See what you're getting into.before you go there See it!
Could you post the link to the site you found that at? I've run into some people that "need" proof....:rolleyes:

kvahag
12-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Could you post the link to the site you found that at? I've run into some people that "need" proof....:rolleyes:

ah damn, i deleted my history and don't remember the site. sorry man.

fromxtor
12-25-2007, 04:49 PM
Btw what about us who are living in cold weather? Would the ground being cold deal apply to us?

Matej
12-25-2007, 04:53 PM
I keep putting like 5$ of gas in my car every other day because the only gauge on my cluster that works is the temperature, living on the edge haha.

Anto
12-25-2007, 05:37 PM
There's a thread on this on BITOG.

All the tips were being debated over. A few truck driver guys were saying that the tanks are covered with enough concrete that ambient temperature doesn't affect the liquid expansion THAT much, something like +1 gallon for a few thousand.

Here's the link to the thread: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1027235

If you want to get hardcore about it, check this forum out:
http://www.mpgresearch.com/
Go to the additives forum.

There are a bunch of guys on there that do additive testing, there's a crazy 10+ page thread on some guy who decided to put some boric acid into his gas tank and experienced a significant improvement.

There's another 8 page thread on a homemade fuel additive, and there are many who say they have seen anywhere from a 1-6mpg increase -

Thanks to a friend of mine, I found a fantastic fuel additive package that I make myself, is overwhelmingly cost effective, and WORKS!

3 oz. acetone
3 oz. Xylene
8 drops of 2-cycle engine oil

This is for a high performance turbocharged engine. For a normal engine:

3 oz. acetone
1 oz. Xylene or Tolulene
8 drops of 2-cycle engine oil

The acetone assists the fuel in vaporization, but a side effect is that it slightly lowers the octane rating of the fuel. To compensate, you need to add an octane booster. This is where the Xylene or Tolulene comes in. They are powerful octane boosters and will restore the octane at a 4:1 ratio with acetone, and even boost octane at higher ratios.

Go check that shit out.
I'm planning to mess with that in a few days.

jskateborders
12-25-2007, 05:41 PM
but then you have to wonder if the cost of those chemicals offsets what your saving in gas...

SexPanda
12-25-2007, 06:10 PM
fill your tires to the correct pressure. Uh... Make sure chage your oil when your supposed to, dont floor it, accelerate slower to save gas... And loose some weight you fatasses. It takes more gas to haul around so much weight god damnit! lol. Im just kidding.

muddafakka
12-25-2007, 06:15 PM
Pretty interesting stuff.

Don't drive with the windows down...never even thought of that.

Dutchmalmiss
12-25-2007, 11:26 PM
Keep the car empty. If you have balls, lose the spare tire. GUT the car if you don't care about the interior aesthetics.

When cruisin down a long stretch, (if applicable) keep your popup lights down, and engage your power folding mirrors. Remember, the easier your car can cut through air, the less effort the motor needs to give.

SHAVE stuff: antenna, rear wiper, the non funcional rear spoiler. Take off those mudflaps.

Run thinner tires, 195s will do fine. you don't need 245s to daily drive.

If there's a long line, don't go through the drive thru. Don't back into spaces. If you're going to idle for at least 20 seconds, shut it off. It takes less gas to turn on the motor than to idle that long.

Keep the tank from falling below 1/8th tank. Any leftover sediment left on the bottom from older gas then gets used and shortens the life of the fuel filter, thus ruining fuel efficiency.

kvahag
12-25-2007, 11:31 PM
If there's a long line, don't go through the drive thru. Don't back into spaces. If you're going to idle for at least 20 seconds, shut it off. It takes less gas to turn on the motor than to idle that long.

cool, i always thought it took more gas to turn on the motor. nice to know :)

hijack3d
12-25-2007, 11:51 PM

I thought so too... I heard something like "it takes 8min of idling to equal the gas it takes to turn on the motor" but that might be wrong. I don't even remember who/where I heard that from.. could've saw it on something that applies only to diesels...

Pretty interesting stuff.

Don't drive with the windows down...never even thought of that.

Didn't Mythbusters do something on that? I can't remember the conclusions...

KA-T_240
12-26-2007, 12:42 AM
I thought so too... I heard something like "it takes 8min of idling to equal the gas it takes to turn on the motor" but that might be wrong. I don't even remember who/where I heard that from.. could've saw it on something that applies only to diesels...

I have head 5min of idling=starting a car.

as for diesels, they take alot of fuel on start up. You should leave them running if you are going to be less then 20. Start up and shut down cylces are really hard on the motors. Diesels are made mostly for long drives and doing work, not daily driving to the store and stuff.

S13Boosts
12-26-2007, 03:40 PM
word up! nice tips!:kiss:

lflkajfj12123
12-26-2007, 04:20 PM
putting the car in neutral to coast

it will cut off your injectors enough to keep the motor idleing

Dutchmalmiss
12-26-2007, 04:47 PM

Well the newer the motor, the more efficient they are at starting up. I'm not sure on the relativity with that and our motors, be it SR/KA/VQ/RB/etc, but it should be close.

drifting.8
12-26-2007, 04:55 PM
i got that shit in an email... lol you pulled a couple sentance from that.

Anto
12-26-2007, 04:57 PM
putting the car in neutral to coast

it will cut off your injectors enough to keep the motor idleing

Actually, if you leave it in gear while coasting your injectors shut off completely.
Save more gas that way!

INeedNewTires
12-26-2007, 05:24 PM
Actually, if you leave it in gear while coasting your injectors shut off completely.
Save more gas that way!

yea but your engine being in vacuum will cause drag and slow you down... I have power FC and watch my injector duty in vacuum its 0.0% but drags me down, at idle its only ~2.1% which is nothing at 1k rpm so i'd say the parasitic drag is more detrimental to gas mileage than the 2% of injector duty.... just my 2c

s13Dr1ft
12-26-2007, 05:30 PM
keep tires aird to spec.
Driving on near bald, unblanaced, unalined tires will also decrease mpg.
Use cruise control on highway/long roads, pedal fluxuation guzzles gas.

One thing that conflicts with the Idle thing is, not warming your engine up to temp before driving, it puts more stress on the engine when it is cold which uses more gas.

there are million things about gas...but who really everyday drives with these in mind? When i do think of things, i try to go by them.

S13Zilvia_fan
12-26-2007, 11:24 PM
I had a 120 mile trip, driving at 70-80 mph I wasted a quarter and a half in my KA powered truck, while traveling at 55-65, I wasted less than a quarter.

The mythbuster results about driving with windows down was, if you're on the freeway windows up and AC on will be less mpg than windows down AC off because of the drag caused in on the car by the incoming air. If youre on the streets, windows down AC off is best

SochBAT
12-26-2007, 11:53 PM
I drive a jeep.

10MPG FTL.

This shit doesnt effect me for shit.

kvahag
12-27-2007, 12:34 AM
I drive a jeep.

10MPG FTL.

This shit doesnt effect me for shit.

haha

The mythbuster results about driving with windows down was, if you're on the freeway windows up and AC on will be less mpg than windows down AC on because of the drag caused in on the car by the incoming air. If youre on the streets, windows down AC off is best

cool thanks for sharing the results. :)

ayuaddict
12-27-2007, 01:39 AM
Don't back into spaces.

why is that?

i always back into spaces for two reasons.

i feel its safer to back into a space because you have more information on your surroundings as you back in, as opposed to backing out of a parking space where somebody can hit you because your car is protruding out farther before you can see the area you are backing out onto clearly.

i simply feel more comfortable backing into a parking space as opposed to going into it nose first, hard to believe i understand, but ive been backing into spaces as long as i have been driving

and i thought that the amount of gas you use would be the same regardless of backing in or parking "normally", its not like backing into a space requires you to travel a longer distance.

or maybe im missing something?

S13Zilvia_fan
12-27-2007, 01:51 AM
Im guessing it was a joke, but if you think about, it would take more effort to back into a space because you have to pull forward past the said spot, stop the car, loosing all its momentum, gas it in reverse to start its momentum again, whereas pulling in nose first, you can usually do it in one single move and coasting so you lose no momentum? I could be wrong

ayuaddict
12-27-2007, 02:48 AM
but when you reverse out of the parking space, you have to reverse, stop the car, lose all momentum and then continue on your way.

Dutchmalmiss
12-27-2007, 10:24 AM
The backing into spaces thing probably applies to those who can't get in the spot in one swift move like few drivers do, which means repeated back and forth movement equaling unneeded gas consumption.

SochBAT
12-27-2007, 07:55 PM
Are you guys really debating how much gas is used PARKING?!?!

racer98
12-27-2007, 08:11 PM
drafting helps.

not recomended if you have not or do not know how to do this.

racer98
12-27-2007, 08:12 PM

drive thur and red lights.

bamaboy
12-27-2007, 08:28 PM
the fuel tips posted by the OP will not make a big enough difference in the volumes that we purchase fuel to make a difference that will add up to anything substantial. I work at a fuel terminal and yes 1 degree will make a volumetric difference equal to a 1-300 gallons. but we are talking about a tank that stores over a million gallons when full. Sorry, temperature corection at gas stations is such a non factor that it will never be required.

hellaflush
12-27-2007, 08:35 PM
stay off boost kekekeke

its hard to... but sometimes it can be done

eastcoastS14
12-27-2007, 08:35 PM

lol i should really stop getting gas right before Im on E and then putting $10 in lol....permenantly driving on an 8th of a tank

murda-c
12-27-2007, 08:36 PM
Keep the tank from falling below 1/8th tank. Any leftover sediment left on the bottom from older gas then gets used and shortens the life of the fuel filter, thus ruining fuel efficiency.

Isn't the fuel pickup always at the bottom of the tank anyway?

S13Zilvia_fan
12-27-2007, 10:42 PM

I thought it was a joke, but thought Id put some thought into it

DALAZ_68
12-28-2007, 12:39 AM
heres a tip...dont go turbo when gas prices are so high :rant2:

kvahag
12-28-2007, 12:41 AM
heres a tip...dont go turbo when gas prices are so high :rant2:

haha steve, you know you don't regret the swap. :2f2f:

hustlervibes
12-28-2007, 12:54 AM
The thing on mythbusters was something abou if you're going 45mph and under just cruise with windows down and 45 and over windows up and AC on. That's assuming you want AC, or you can man up and just use no AC unless you're about to have a heatstroke.

And does the width of your tires really make that much of a difference?

atutt
12-28-2007, 09:26 AM
Number 1 doesn't really work because all fuels are corrected to a certain temperature. Here's 15*C.

B18C5MK1
12-28-2007, 09:49 AM
wondering the same thing. haha im always on E. feel like im wasting money if i fill up more than $5-10 at a time. lmao.

all i know is that when i filled up before i drove up to seattle a few weeks ago, i got the best gas mileage on the first quarter tank... i got about 250 miles... as the gas went down, so did my mpg... also driving around on E all the time is bad on your injectors..

racer98
12-28-2007, 10:35 AM
best thing on long trips if you can handel it , Drafting Tour buss or a 18wheeler, litterly impossibile to set the cruze control for this but in other you save loads of gas with this but takes a system to get it down and 1.5 to 3 car lenghts is good enough.