PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to Ship a Lip?

low and slow
12-15-2007, 09:08 AM
Alright, so here's the deal:

I recently sold a lip that I just had painted for my other car (Mazda3), because I'm a broke ass college kid, and Tallahassee would destroy the damn thing as it is (the car has some suspension work, and it's a pain to try to not scrape, etc). With that said, the guy's payment cleared yesterday, so went over to UPS. Basically, they told me that the lip would cost a shit ton of money, because they measure by LxWxH instead of weight and whatnot, and odds are, it wouldn't make it in one piece. Then, I went over to USPS, but apparently I didn't package it well enough. I easily solved that problem, though, so I'm now thinking of heading over to USPS once again to see.

With that said, what is the best way to ship something like that? I have a feeling that if I, like I said, pack it better, UPS might give me a better shot, but I'm not sure. I need to get it out ASAP, so if you have any suggestions, please post up. I'm going to email the guy who I bought it from originally, too, to see what he says, but I'm almost 100% it was sent via USPS.

Thanks!

Kyle

240sx_sr20det
12-15-2007, 09:15 AM
Ship it DHL. They ship enormous packages for really cheap. I shipped a whole front end for $55. That should say enough right there. G/L!

Unholy S14
12-15-2007, 09:21 AM
grey hound baby

shipped a bumper for 35

Dirty Habit
12-15-2007, 09:22 AM
I would say carrier pigeon....definitely carrier pigeon.

Xandy Boosts
12-15-2007, 09:58 AM
Try Fedex, you'd be amazed. I quoted shipping a guitar at UPS ~ 80$. Went to FedEx...can you believe it, 11$ + some change. I was amazed! A full size Les Paul weighing about 12 pounds with packaging

low and slow
12-15-2007, 09:12 PM
So FedEx, DHL, and Greyhound?

Awesome, +rep to you all :bigok:

One last thing, though: how do you do it via Greyhound? Just go to the station and have them take care of it? I'll find all three of those places tomorrow, and then go from there. You guys are lifesavers.

Matej
12-15-2007, 10:23 PM
Wrap it in bubble wrap.

AznDrftr.
12-15-2007, 11:01 PM
GH, damn thats a really good price.

glw

low and slow
12-21-2007, 10:46 AM
I wrapped it up in bubble wrap like nobody's business, cut up some boxes and created a 'box' around the entire thing, and then wrapped it in that brown packing paper shit. If that doesn't work, I'm not sure what will, haha.

Thanks again for the help, guys. The best part about getting rid of it was it allowed me to finish paying off the S13 (bought it from my roommate, we worked out a deal, etc). Now the fun can begin :bigok:

Edgar
12-21-2007, 10:55 AM
Greyhound is a bad idea, trust me.

Unholy S14
12-21-2007, 11:11 AM
wasnt for me.

bumper came there with no problems

azndoc
12-21-2007, 11:11 AM
I have heard about the grey hound shipping method but have never tried it.

Is it a problem because of all the luggage that get thrown in there?

Or did ^^^^ you just have a bad experience with them.

exitspeed
12-21-2007, 11:15 AM
I shipped a heavy ass Zenki Lip via fed Ex. I wrapped it in Cardboard and taped the hell out of it. It got there all in one piece. Ask axiomatik.