PDA

View Full Version : Heater problem

riander4
12-08-2007, 09:57 AM
Ok so here is the deal.
91 240sx sr20 swapped, but having a heating issue so i believe its nothing to do with the JDM engine

When im driving car usually heats up fine (engine water temp gauge sits where its supposed to). Heater blower working, but no heat since it got like -30 here in saskatoon. Took it to the mechanic... he said he got heat going, after it was sitting in the shop for a bit. I washed it today, and it had heat after i washed it and it got to warm up for like 10 minutes. 5 hours later i drive it again and no heat at all.
Also.. If i am driving and have my heat on full and blowing at the max (but no heat coming out only cold air) sometimes the car will overheat a bit, by about a bar or so.

So here is what i think is happening... maybe coolant i put in wasnt rated for this cold, so its freezing (semi freezing) somewhere between the engine and my heater core, so im getting no hot air, and is occasionally plugging the whole system up so for a period the engine is getting no new coolant, therefore the overheating problem.

and car has a new water pump as of the summer, and dual electric fans going all the time.... so theres no way that not cooling / water pump issue

thanks in advance

g6civcx
12-08-2007, 05:25 PM
Check your heater hose connections. SR has 3/4" and the heater core has 5/8" hoses. Make sure they fit tightly or you'll lose coolant and overheat.

Secretsquirrel
12-08-2007, 06:38 PM
Sounds like possible air bubbles getting trapped in the heater core.

try jacking up the front of the car so the rad cap is the highest point, and bleed the coolant system of air by just letting it idle with the cap off and adding coolant as needed.

SS

g6civcx
12-09-2007, 05:57 AM
Sounds like possible air bubbles getting trapped in the heater core.

try jacking up the front of the car so the rad cap is the highest point, and bleed the coolant system of air by just letting it idle with the cap off and adding coolant as needed.

SS

This is true.
An easier way is to find a steep hill and park facing up. Open the radiator cap and let the car. Periodically open the bleeder screw on the water outlet and refill coolant.

Also open the heater hose clamps slightly and close them up. This sucks coolant into the heater core.

It's tricky to bleed the heater core, but necessary due to the way the heater hoses are routed.

j00ni3
12-09-2007, 06:12 AM
when bleeding also have the heat on at full blast