PDA

View Full Version : Who is in School?, What does it Cost?

xamraci
12-08-2007, 08:23 AM
I have been going to school off and on for 6 years now and I have seen a crazy hike in my tuition cost over the past half decade...

I attend Auburn Montgomery in Montgomery Alabama. Figuring it would be less than Auburn main campus...I was dead ass wrong:-/

My next 21 hr semester is going to cost me 3600$ after tuition, graduation fee, activity fee, registration fee, and an administrative fee. Granted that isnt A LOT but compared to my freshman year it was 1200$ a 15 hr semester...

I was just wondering what schools or states you attended school in and how much you were paying...

Ninjabread
12-08-2007, 09:52 AM
I suppose being in canada makes it totally different.

I pay almost 3000$ per semester for 5 classes, which is roughly 15 hours.

xamraci
12-08-2007, 09:56 AM
I suppose being in canada makes it totally different.

I pay almost 3000$ per semester for 5 classes, which is roughly 15 hours.

not in terms of money...atleast recently...since the US dollar and Canadian are so close in value...

Does Canada have state institutions or just private colleges/universities?

sonomadrifter
12-08-2007, 09:58 AM
VCU in Richmond Virginia is costing me around $2851.51 for a semester I believe. My parents set me up with the Virginia prepaid program years ago and that saves me quite a lot each six months, but I am still paying for everything on my own so I feel ya. Do you think it has anything to do with you being a transfer student, my bro had a couple troubles when he did. Good luck in school, what are you studying?

Ninjabread
12-08-2007, 10:05 AM
not in terms of money...atleast recently...since the US dollar and Canadian are so close in value...

I wasn't talking about the dollar value... Just the costs are way different. For example, I go to university, wich costs the same as your colleges (from what i recall).

xamraci
12-08-2007, 10:24 AM
VCU in Richmond Virginia is costing me around $2851.51 for a semester I believe. My parents set me up with the Virginia prepaid program years ago and that saves me quite a lot each six months, but I am still paying for everything on my own so I feel ya. Do you think it has anything to do with you being a transfer student, my bro had a couple troubles when he did. Good luck in school, what are you studying?

I dont think so...its all been in state...and I never went to AUBURNS main campus because I was paying 1k a semester at a community college for the same credits...3k isnt bad...I had prepaid for the state of Alabama but I ran out of that a while back...now WISHING I hadnt..

I am a Double Major...Human Resource management and Business management

And Ninja...thats really interesting...What do you have besides University? i dont know anything about college systems outside of the US really

eastcoastS14
12-08-2007, 10:52 AM
lol you guys have some cheap schools...my school isnt bad right now cause Im at a state school but I was originally going to Northeastern University here in boston and its like $31,889 a year even state schools around here like UMASS amherst is like 10k a year in state and 20k out of state

xamraci
12-08-2007, 10:57 AM
lol you guys have some cheap schools...my school isnt bad right now cause Im at a state school but I was originally going to Northeastern University here in boston and its like $31,889 a year even state schools around here like UMASS amherst is like 10k a year in state and 20k out of state

OUCH:-/

I had heard that University of Maryland was like 30k A year in-state...:loco:

Tops*
12-08-2007, 11:13 AM
I went to Lawrence Technological University in Southfield, Michigan to study architecture. Unfortunately, it didn't work out for me so I transfered back to community my second year and am currently catching back up on my credits. For a year at LTU, it costs ~$25k without scholarships for 32 credit hours, dorm, and meal plan. $600+ per credit hour. Yes, it's a private school and at least I had a few scholarships working on my side. Back at community, I paid just over a grand for 15 credit hours. Only ~$60 per credit hour. :werd: Will be transferring to MSU or WMU for electrical engineering, fall of 2008.

mRclARK1
12-08-2007, 11:21 AM

Both state and private.

University in Canada is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper. Hence one of the reasons I'm here for school, and because also my family is here as well. A year (depending on college and program etc.) will average around the $6-7K range. You'll find a decent number of American students at Canadian schools, all of my classes have at least one. :keke: I'd say roughly 15%-20% of the students at Canadian schools are foreign students. There is a VERY high population of asians (Chinese especially) at schools here as well. In some classes the white people stand out in (and over. haha) the crowd as the minority. haha

xamraci
12-08-2007, 11:25 AM
Both state and private.

University in Canada is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper. Hence one of the reasons I'm here for school, and because also my family is here as well. A year (depending on college and program etc.) will average around the $6-7K range. You'll find a decent number of American students at Canadian schools, all of my classes have at least one. :keke: I'd say roughly 15%-20% of the students at Canadian schools are foreign students. There is a VERY high population of asians (Chinese especially) at schools here as well. In some classes the white people stand out in (and over. haha) the crowd as the minority. haha

Well, being that I live in montgomery AL...the Hyundai plant brought a lot of Korean Students...and our athletics program drops in ALL foreign students...there were 3 americans on our soccer team last year, 1 of them was local:hs:

6-7k isnt bad at all for a year...thats roughly what I pay. Just glad I dont go to private school...OUCH-SHAFT

blackflag_Rms13
12-08-2007, 02:22 PM
Um, Canada ain't cheap. Gonna be going to University of British Columbia, 20k+ a year for a U.S. citizen (granted it's cheaper for Canadians both because of residency and the exchange rate screws me).

tougemiata
12-08-2007, 02:33 PM
i got to CSULB..with books and everything its like 3-5k..im not sure. but cost of living is another factor. i get about 3-4k a month to pay bills, eat, and other shit. loans...........................

PhilthyS13
12-08-2007, 02:34 PM
I pay 15 grand per semester at Golden Gate, but it's law school. A private one. And that's not including books.

When I went to UC Davis, it was like 5 grand a year. Not bad, considering my high school was 4 grand a year (my brother just graduated from there = it's 11k a year now).

The only thing that's certain is tuition will go up. And public is cheaper than private.

njd07
12-08-2007, 02:44 PM
free healthcare and subsidized schooling...only thing we need here in canada is the states cheap beer(well...not the watered down part :down: ) and warm weather.

Matej
12-08-2007, 02:50 PM
I wish it was possible to get a four-year degree at the community college I go to. I spent my first semester of college at a real university, but then I decided to transfer to a community college close to home for my first two years, and I like it a lot more in. Plus it only costs $1500 or so total per semester, compared to the university which was $14000 for just one semester.

xamraci
12-08-2007, 02:57 PM
I wish it was possible to get a four-year degree at the community college I go to. I spent my first semester of college at a real university, but then I decided to transfer to a community college close to home for my first two years, and I like it a lot more in. Plus it only costs $1500 or so total per semester, compared to the university which was $14000 for just one semester.

Couldnt agree with you more on that one...

MY Comm College was $1100 for 15hrs...:hsdance:
I pay three times that for University...:-/

ranger240
12-08-2007, 03:04 PM
full tuition at my school is damn near 50k a year.. im paying 17 a semester in loans on my own to cover it.. debt for the next 20 years then a 20 year mortgage yummmmmm

xamraci
12-08-2007, 03:33 PM
full tuition at my school is damn near 50k a year.. im paying 17 a semester in loans on my own to cover it.. debt for the next 20 years then a 20 year mortgage yummmmmm

oh my god...I have to ask...is it going to be worth it>?

s13speeddrft
12-08-2007, 03:42 PM
i'm at davis now and i think it is about 8k a year for tuition...loans suck...

low and slow
12-08-2007, 03:44 PM
Holy shit, that is expensive. I'm paying ~1500-1800/semester for 15-16 hours at Florida State, and that includes engineering classes (which tend to me a bit more expensive, since there is a whole other school for it off campus)

xamraci
12-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Holy shit, that is expensive. I'm paying ~1500-1800/semester for 15-16 hours at Florida State, and that includes engineering classes (which tend to me a bit more expensive, since there is a whole other school for it off campus)

DANG THATS a great price...ENG. related classes at AUBURN main are like 6-7k a semester...:tweak: ...IN-STATE that is:jerkit: LAME as HELL

mRclARK1
12-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Um, Canada ain't cheap. Gonna be going to University of British Columbia, 20k+ a year for a U.S. citizen (granted it's cheaper for Canadians both because of residency and the exchange rate screws me).

Whoa!... is that just tuition? If it is, that's a lot. What are you taking? If that's all living expenses etc. that makes more sense. Also in the Vancouver and Victoria area, you're in one of the most expensive places to live in Canada. Canada isn't cheap per sey... just a lot cheaper tuition then the US.

Exchange rate between the CAD and USD is basically 1:1 right now.

worangejuice
12-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Yo,
I'm at the Art Institute and I am in a GRIP of debt from it. Worth it once I get the jobbie job, but that's just how it goes. Stupid, expensive, man do I sound ghetto tonight, *listening to Pharrell whilst I type this thesis......:P

Cash
12-08-2007, 07:09 PM
I'm at the University of Georgia, and our tuition prices have gone up a little bit every year since I've been here. I'm a senior now and I'm glad I'm about to be out of here.

Tuition and fees are currently $2,811/semester in state and $10,363/semester out of state. Luckily I'm in state. It was $2,495/semester when I was a freshman 3 years ago. Also, Georgia residents have the HOPE scholarship that is funded by the Georgia Lotto. It pays for your tuition as long as you keep a 3.0.

So I've only been paying for books and living expenses since I've been here. That means I'll be graduating with no debt!

Adam496
12-08-2007, 07:11 PM
I go to temple university and i am paying 23k a year to live there. Good ole out of state tuition ftw

S14Josh
12-08-2007, 07:38 PM
I pay about 700-800 a semester. Not too bad i guess, after seeing what some of you guys are paying.

muddafakka
12-08-2007, 07:50 PM
Costs about a grand for me.

ranger240
12-08-2007, 08:33 PM
oh my god...I have to ask...is it going to be worth it>?

ha ask me in 5 years when im either making alot or am broke and in debt, any alumni i know seem to be doing pretty well though, so i'm hoping so.. right now my professors here went to cornell and oxford ... they know their shit.. and its great when they agree with you, makes you feel baller...

low and slow
12-08-2007, 09:06 PM
DANG THATS a great price...ENG. related classes at AUBURN main are like 6-7k a semester...:tweak: ...IN-STATE that is:jerkit: LAME as HELL

Holy shit!

I almost went to Auburn, too, so I can't imagine what out-of-state tuition would have cost me...

I just told my roommate about this thread (he's an ME, too), and he doesn't feel so bad about paying what we do, haha

xamraci
12-08-2007, 09:52 PM
Holy shit!

I almost went to Auburn, too, so I can't imagine what out-of-state tuition would have cost me...

I just told my roommate about this thread (he's an ME, too), and he doesn't feel so bad about paying what we do, haha

it would be about 10-12k a semester I would assume after the MECH ENG fees...unless the FEE is only once a YEAR... still thats 8-9k

low and slow
12-08-2007, 09:55 PM
it would be about 10-12k a semester I would assume after the MECH ENG fees...unless the FEE is only once a YEAR... still thats 8-9k

Wow. Just wow.

And the sad part is is that I'm still shit ass broke. I can't imagine how you feel, haha

iwishiwas-all*
12-09-2007, 07:31 AM
yea thats cheap bro, at UM its close to a K per credit hour possibly over.

Edgar
12-09-2007, 08:52 AM
i dont even want to talk about it

gmarzan
12-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Currently going for my damn 2nd degree in Chemistry at Rutgers University. I think when I started college (electrical engineering) tuition was 4k per semester, now i think around 6k (in state). Hopefully this college shit will pay-off, cuz i only have 6 months to get a job after this December (graduating) and start paying off my 50K+ loan debt. My advise: Go to community college for your first 2 years and transfer, that should save you lots of mula.

xamraci
12-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Currently going for my damn 2nd degree in Chemistry at Rutgers University. I think when I started college (electrical engineering) tuition was 4k per semester, now i think around 6k (in state). Hopefully this college shit will pay-off, cuz i only have 6 months to get a job after this December (graduating) and start paying off my 50K+ loan debt. My advise: Go to community college for your first 2 years and transfer, that should save you lots of mula.

100% correct...I spent 1/6th a year what I pay at University...

Community College is a Gift from a place where people care about you...:angel:

And to re-state the MECH ENG. prices at AUBURN UNIVERSITY main campus...it seems that this coming semester you only pay the 4-6k Fee if you are in the BUILDING SCIENCE, ARCH., or other building majors...so the Mech Eng. Fee I saw on the previously posted chart on AUs site was wrong...

still 7k a year for an education from auburn...meh, might not be worth it:-/

MURPHY
12-09-2007, 04:31 PM
unoh. university of northern ohio.

pretty damn cheap actually. and everything there is cheap haha.

going for high performance and alternative fuels.

low and slow
12-09-2007, 04:36 PM
100% correct...I spent 1/6th a year what I pay at University...

Community College is a Gift from a place where people care about you...:angel:

And to re-state the MECH ENG. prices at AUBURN UNIVERSITY main campus...it seems that this coming semester you only pay the 4-6k Fee if you are in the BUILDING SCIENCE, ARCH., or other building majors...so the Mech Eng. Fee I saw on the previously posted chart on AUs site was wrong...

still 7k a year for an education from auburn...meh, might not be worth it:-/

It might, it might not. Depends on how you look at it. The beauty of an engineering degree is that you have to meet certain criteria in order to get it (which is universal across the country, whether it be at a school, college, or university), so technically it's the same no matter where you earn it. The only difference, being, of course, what it says at the top.

ZX88
12-09-2007, 04:54 PM
RIT 22K a quarter.

xamraci
12-09-2007, 05:09 PM
It might, it might not. Depends on how you look at it. The beauty of an engineering degree is that you have to meet certain criteria in order to get it (which is universal across the country, whether it be at a school, college, or university), so technically it's the same no matter where you earn it. The only difference, being, of course, what it says at the top.

yeah...My buddy got out makin 50k a year start off with bonus/allowances and such...I have a job offer makin 45-50k when I graduate...for a business major, thats almost unreal

low and slow
12-09-2007, 05:26 PM
No kidding. I have a few things lined up myself once I get to that point, so it seems like the expenses and the struggling for God knows how long does pay off, haha