PDA

View Full Version : oil cooler over kill??

eulalia
12-03-2007, 02:56 PM
i just ordered some parts and i have some money left over, and i was looking into buying a oil cooler kit, but is an oil cooler over kill for a daily driver?

i have a s13 sr blacktop, smic, t25 rebuilt alternator, brand new oem water pump

i just ordered a fmic, and a radiator

i read some threads on oil coolers, of how you cant over cool the engine if you have a thermostat, so that being said

would you guys recommend me getting an oil cooler, or should i spend my money on lets say bigger oil pan or something else?

main concern is it being reliable and last me a long time

i dont drift, or track the car, i just go up to the mountains, every couple months

thank you in advance for the replies

J-Style
12-03-2007, 02:59 PM
I think you just just get an oil pan and save up for other things. :bigok:

Z33dori
12-03-2007, 03:37 PM
oil cooler is never over kill....

Slidin240Wayz
12-03-2007, 03:41 PM
quality oil pan first

check your temps

if they are high

get an oil cooler kit with a thermo

MeLon
12-03-2007, 03:50 PM
sound like you dont really need an oil cooler... hope you got a high quality radiator and front mount.

brokeAs240sx
12-03-2007, 03:58 PM
are you overheating as is right now doing what you do?

that should answer your question...

bo2o
12-03-2007, 04:05 PM
never over kill any ways. oil oil cooler for teh win.

that thing cools it down a grip.

s13silvia123
12-03-2007, 04:08 PM
thermostat is recommended especially if your in a colder climate like where i live. but as some of the guys here say its not a overkill to have it. so get your ass up and get the oil cooler.

burnsauto
12-03-2007, 04:25 PM
if you've got the cash for a nice system, i'd say go for it. it'll def. help the engines life and the turbos life in the long run. granted it wont make you faster. (but you're not tracking the car anyways :keke:)

nissan240sxkid
12-03-2007, 04:43 PM
oil cooler or any thing you can do isnt over kill, its one of the places sr's have the most problems. I have a greddy cooler nice piece but there is plenty of cheap coolers out there that could make a diff. If you live in cold climate or winter just have 2 sets of oils for summer and winter months....Although my girls evo has a thermostat on the oil cooler to reg flow, havent seen that as a aftermarket kit though, any one?

azndoc
12-03-2007, 04:43 PM
Better to be safe than sorry.

Jtuned_andy
12-03-2007, 09:13 PM
I believe the Greddy and HKS units are available for purchase with an oil cooler thermostat block. However they tend to be a bit pricey, you may be able to order a cheaper cooler and just pickup a thermo separately from one of the Japanese companies.

eulalia
12-03-2007, 10:47 PM
are you overheating as is right now doing what you do?

that should answer your question...

car has never overheated in the 1 month i have had the motor, lol

yeah ill just get the oil cooler to be on the safe side, i think i just want to buy suspension already, so im getting impatient

thank you for the replies

Dousan_PG
12-03-2007, 11:25 PM
oil cooler is VITAL fo rlong life SRs

get a thermostat on the setup too!!

motorsnail
12-03-2007, 11:27 PM
Get a greddy oil pan before you buy oil cooler!!! Just makes more sence to me anyways.:love:

Doesnt matter if the oils cool or not if its not there get a greddy oil pan or a better then stock. Stock sr oil pan is the gayness

kognition
12-03-2007, 11:29 PM
Earl's has some good affordable oil coolers, but maybe consider improving your electrical with a good grounding kit.

!Zar!
12-04-2007, 01:20 AM
Setrab oil coolers are nice.

Powerered by max has a pretty ok setup.

Or you could get a stock oil cooler off of a fc.

eulalia
12-04-2007, 01:22 AM
Earl's has some good affordable oil coolers, but maybe consider improving your electrical with a good grounding kit.

i didnt even think about that!!!! thank you!!! lol

eulalia
12-04-2007, 01:27 AM
Get a greddy oil pan before you buy oil cooler!!! Just makes more since to me anyways.:love:

Doesn'tmatter if the oils cool or not if its not there get a greddy oil pan or a better then stock. Stock sr oil pan is the gayness

yeah that sounds like a better idea, greddy oil pan it is, plus reading that oil pan thread where someone accidentally dropped there engine on a greddy pan and still good, blew my mind!!! lol

so its settled oil pan, ground kit, and then oil cooler

thank you for the replies!!

Flybert
12-04-2007, 01:52 AM
Do you have A/C? If you don't, I wouldn't worry about an oil cooler since you don't track the car. I think you should get some gauges to monitor stuff, water temp and boost being first and foremost.

Koopa Troopa
12-04-2007, 02:01 PM
oil cooler or any thing you can do isnt over kill, its one of the places sr's have the most problems.

Yeah, giving an SR an oil cooler is one of the problems of an SR.. The stock oil system can't handle it and unless you have a larger oil pan you're more than likely going to dry start your car.

J-Style
12-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Here you go man! These are just some idea's for you...

http://optionimports.com/grbigoilpanu.html GReddy Oil Pan

http://optionimports.com/arcthnisr.html ARC Thermostat

http://optionimports.com/asugrsygwico.html A'PEXi Grounding System

Max_PSi
12-04-2007, 07:06 PM
For a DD, I think an oil cooler is really overkill. Your motor is supposed to run at an optimum temperature. If it runs too cool, thats not good either.

If you track your car, or live in a desert, then it would be a good investment. Don't just throw your money around.

Flybert
12-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Yeah, giving an SR an oil cooler is one of the problems of an SR.. The stock oil system can't handle it and unless you have a larger oil pan you're more than likely going to dry start your car.

This makes no sense. The only thing that might not be able to handle it is the oil pump because it has to pump more oil. Try not to talk about stuff you don't know anything about.

The factors in determining what your oil pump can handle are how big your lines are, how long they are, how many bends there are, and how new your pump is. I personally went with a takamotorsports setup that uses -8 lines. I have the original oil pump on my motor. If I had a new one I would have considered -10.

For a DD, I think an oil cooler is really overkill. Your motor is supposed to run at an optimum temperature. If it runs too cool, thats not good either.

If you track your car, or live in a desert, then it would be a good investment. Don't just throw your money around.

Do you know how thermostats work? Might wanna look it up.

A Spec Products
12-04-2007, 07:11 PM
Oil cooler
Aluminum Radiator
Water Pump Pulley
Nismo Thermostat
Water Temp Gauge
Oil Press Gauge

Not necessary but so necessary

If you ever track your car at least

If not, then I'd at least get everything on that list, besides the oil cooler

Monitoring vitals is not a waste of money whatsoever

thafriendlypimp
12-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Oil cooler
Aluminum Radiator
Water Pump Pulley
Nismo Thermostat
Water Temp Gauge
Oil Press Gauge

Not necessary but so necessary

If you ever track your car at least

If not, then I'd at least get everything on that list, besides the oil cooler

Monitoring vitals is not a waste of money whatsoever
Strongly Agree with this comment. Sometimes, "people" get lazy in maintenance, but the gauges will help encourage you to keep up-to-date with your maintenance... they always inspire me to keep up the work!

SexPanda
12-04-2007, 08:42 PM
you could make an oil cooler, or steal one off an old truck for less than the hundreds of dollars they want for a new one... Just pout some gas through it.

And no, its not overkill, I dont think. Anything that helps your engine isnt overkill... Now, an engine block heater if you live in cali, for those oh so cold winters... That might be overkill

TravisSW
12-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Hey,

If you got the money and want to baby your motor more and be a bit more safer. Then why the hell not? Do eet!

I don't want to be driving around (and we live close to each other) and see a 240 stuck on the side of the road due to maintance issues.
:)

Still waiting to get a NISMO Thermostat, I believe my car is heating up a bit more than it should and i'm paranoid. Though I'm stock KA24de, anything else til I get my project motor going. (Medium build KA24de with ITBs) :D

Dousan_PG
12-04-2007, 09:49 PM
This makes no sense. The only thing that might not be able to handle it is the oil pump because it has to pump more oil. Try not to talk about stuff you don't know anything about.

The factors in determining what your oil pump can handle are how big your lines are, how long they are, how many bends there are, and how new your pump is. I personally went with a takamotorsports setup that uses -8 lines. I have the original oil pump on my motor. If I had a new one I would have considered -10.

Do you know how thermostats work? Might wanna look it up.

its amazing how many stupid people are here

hahahahah

srs came STOCK w/ oil coolers on some models

learn about thermos

hahahaha
ah good times
flybert get your cooler installed!

McRussellPants
12-04-2007, 09:53 PM
I doubt I'll run a thermo.

I don't daily my car.
Rarely cold in texas.
can control oil pressure with viscosity.

-Tomei Block
-10 Lines.
-Setrab Core.

shits costly.

eulalia
12-04-2007, 09:54 PM
Do you have A/C? If you don't, I wouldn't worry about an oil cooler since you don't track the car. I think you should get some gauges to monitor stuff, water temp and boost being first and foremost.

yeah no a/c just the heater, i was told to use the heater any time i run the engine hard, or on a hot day, so now i just run the heater 24/7.. lol

Triadz101
12-04-2007, 10:10 PM
if u want some more output...

I have a...

greddy VSPL FMIC
Koyo radiator
twin flex a lite fans
dual fan controller which is set to pretty low.
greddy oil cooler setup to my greddy oil filter relocator

and this car just runs great. on those cold ass nights it takes a while to warm up but after 2-3 minutes it runs perfect. and my coolant was mixed 50\50, it was 70\30 before my oil cooler, and it ran slightly cooler, so i changed it to 50\50 and now it's perfect, i gotta check next summer for water temp, but my oil temp is always at around 60 Degrees celsius.

nissan240sxkid
12-04-2007, 10:12 PM

well this is for calling me out
How are you going to dry start the motor??? if anything the oil cooler holds more oil as a pan would. when you mount it correctly oil stays in the cooler as well as in the pan. So if you have oil in the cooler and your at the right level in the pan (or motor) as dip stick would tell....then you'll already have more oil. Its an oil cooler not a refrigerator, your not going to have oil ice cubes, just have diff weights for diff times of the year. Also I do agree that the pan is the right first step....

Koopa Troopa
12-05-2007, 12:54 AM
Stock pan is designed for 3 qt's... It's barely enough for the SR much less a cooler thrown in there as well.

If the dude is asking if an oil cooler is right for his daily driver I doubt he took the oil pump, line size and oil capacity into thought... I like to throw the worst possible scenario out there. Makes people rethink.

To the original poster, you'll be fine with an upgraded oil pan.

Chrischeezer
12-05-2007, 01:17 AM
my first SR, i ran for about 2 years daily driven everywhere.

no oil coolers.. never had a problem, race one in a while, beat it up a little.

sold that motor and was told it runs perfect till this day

now im using a greddy oil pan on my built motor.

scottie
12-05-2007, 07:58 AM
I doubt I'll run a thermo.

I don't daily my car.
Rarely cold in texas.
can control oil pressure with viscosity.

-Tomei Block
-10 Lines.
-Setrab Core.

shits costly.

Pretty much what Im going to run. Here is my Setrab Cooler:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m99/scotheocelot/Setrab2.jpg
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m99/scotheocelot/Setrab1.jpg

Scott