PDA

View Full Version : Painters comer....

motorsnail
11-30-2007, 02:54 PM
Alright I was thinking about going and getting a paint gun to try learn somthing new. My question is what would be a good gun to start with and the specs on that motha funka? Thanks guys

eastcoastS14
11-30-2007, 02:56 PM
painters comer? wtf is that?

anyway to start you should prob just grab a cheap one at harbor freight or autozone to learn with

motorsnail
11-30-2007, 02:57 PM

anyway to start you should prob just grab a cheap one at harbor freight or autozone to learn with

There is nothing wrong with the cheap ones? I mean I wouldnt mind spending extra $100 or so if it would last longer and be better quality. Wouldnt go cheap on paint dont wanna go cheap on the gun unless it doesnt matter.

There is also different types of paint guns im not to sure would be good to paint a car. Just need some expert opinion.

SoloSilvia
11-30-2007, 03:40 PM
Sata or Iwata are 2 top names in the game with price tags 400 plus....

There some cheaper mid level DeVilbiss, finishline, AP, just make sure to get HLVP! Then you have the cheap no names and whatnot. We use an Iwata and its the shit, so light and easy to use. Sata are very good and used in most shops, although Iwata has been knockin Sata's out in alot fo places. You can get a 3 gun setup at your local paint store, HLVP even for around a 100 bucks. Weve painted cars with these just to see if it can be done, and the answer is YES! So you may wanna start out with something cheap, and then dish some money out on a nicer one for base and clears, and keep cheapos around for primers and whatever.

Also, you gotta know the basics, like right paint mixture, temps of reducers, primers, sealers, clear coats, hardners, ect.... Then you must now at what air pressure to lay the paint, how far away to hold the gun, how fast to go over the panel.... I would suiggest asking someone in around you to help you out and do some hands on with you. Or maybe order sometime of training video.

Hopefully this info helps a lil, and thats my 2 biggest suggestions, talk with someone around you thats been doing it, and go to your local auto paint store and ask them there recomaendations. Every one has different preferences, but your local paint supply place should be nice enough to guide you in the right directon!

BustedS13
11-30-2007, 03:54 PM
^you're dyslexic :/

motorsnail
11-30-2007, 05:14 PM
Sata or Iwata are 2 top names in the game with price tags 400 plus....

There some cheaper mid level DeVilbiss, finishline, AP, just make sure to get HLVP! Then you have the cheap no names and whatnot. We use an Iwata and its the shit, so light and easy to use. Sata are very good and used in most shops, although Iwata has been knockin Sata's out in alot fo places. You can get a 3 gun setup at your local paint store, HLVP even for around a 100 bucks. Weve painted cars with these just to see if it can be done, and the answer is YES! So you may wanna start out with something cheap, and then dish some money out on a nicer one for base and clears, and keep cheapos around for primers and whatever.

Also, you gotta know the basics, like right paint mixture, temps of reducers, primers, sealers, clear coats, hardners, ect.... Then you must now at what air pressure to lay the paint, how far away to hold the gun, how fast to go over the panel.... I would suiggest asking someone in around you to help you out and do some hands on with you. Or maybe order sometime of training video.

Hopefully this info helps a lil, and thats my 2 biggest suggestions, talk with someone around you thats been doing it, and go to your local auto paint store and ask them there recomaendations. Every one has different preferences, but your local paint supply place should be nice enough to guide you in the right directon!

Yeah helped alot really, gonna go get a book tomarow. Thanks dude

Dirty Habit
11-30-2007, 06:19 PM
I got a very nice Iwata awhile back. Its awesome.

Check out: http://www.airbrushtechnique.com/forums/

Lots of help and knowledge.

posdriftin
11-30-2007, 08:01 PM
dude sharpe finex gun is best bet for your price range... i painted my datsun with it and came out the same quality as my sata gun... just my two cents.. if you need pics for the quality let me know,..

SexPanda
11-30-2007, 08:53 PM
get some of those walmart guns, sone nason paint, and some spair car parts. Thats how I learned... On my own car. But hey, a half way decent black paintjob is better than 7 different colors from 8 different cars. Dont get some high end shit til you have the basics down. And honestly, dont be afraid to screw up your first time. If you try to be perfect, you WILL screw up, majorly like i did a few places. If you take it easy, and dont worry, a few little runs and light areas arent too bad.

Yes, I have a frankenforty. Underneath that black is the truth...

and that pic in my sig... My buddy primed it with his decent shit. I didnt do that.

motorsnail
11-30-2007, 09:55 PM
Thanks for all the feed back and the website . Hotness:love:

B18C5MK1
11-30-2007, 11:43 PM

i must be sleepy. at first i thought it said "painters corner"... i was gonna say, there's already a art thread.. what's a comer? must be a paintball thing.

nm.

cool info tho urryone. :)

LloydXmas
12-01-2007, 12:05 PM
I use only sata guns, and now am spraying with a sata nr3000 rp, I say for the price range get a devilbiss to screw around with.

motorsnail
12-02-2007, 09:56 AM
LMAO Well I tryed painting this morning just on an old fender I had with a friends gun and all I can say is :fawk2: . Had him and the girlfriend doggin me the whole time so it sucked. But it was his house of color paint so its all funny. Gonna try some more when im alone because people talking makes it harder then shit for some reason.

12-02-2007, 12:58 PM
Paint is the easy part. It's the prep and finding a very clean room to do the paint that is the hard part. I don't even mind doing the prep, it's just time and hard work. You can do that anywhere. I just can never find a spot to paint a car without getting shit in the paint. Wet the floor all that jazz and still fucking never fails. I need to build a spray booth.

koukimonster139
12-02-2007, 05:41 PM
SATA Jet90

and be done.

projekt_s13
02-09-2008, 11:08 PM
Does anyone know if the Harbor Freight 93305-6VGA Gun is worth the extra 20 bucks?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/93300-93399/93305.gif

Or should I just get the 43430-2VGA

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/43400-43499/43430.gif

Im just gonna paint a fender, possibly full aero, and a shell

lflkajfj12123
02-09-2008, 11:10 PM
lol oh man not that guy again

what the fuck is he saying!!?

projekt_s13
02-09-2008, 11:16 PM
lol oh man not that guy again

what the fuck is he saying!!?

huh? I dont know what you are talking about.

lflkajfj12123
02-09-2008, 11:19 PM
not you silly

ALEXTHESUS*PECT
02-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Im just gonna paint a fender, possibly full aero, and a shell

that's a full car. there's no more car left.

projekt_s13
02-09-2008, 11:24 PM
that's a full car. there's no more car left.

lol yea.
Its basicly for the aero, not too sure about painting my extra shell.