PDA

View Full Version : Convicted Bank Robber Wins Lotter

kvahag
11-29-2007, 09:48 PM
Winning lottery ticket unlucky for convicted bank robber

November 28, 07 01:35 PM

By Stephanie Ebbert, Globe Staff

Luck ran out for a $1 million lottery winner who collected his first prize money this week: It turns out that buying the ticket was a probation violation.

Two-time bank robber Timothy Elliott had been forbidden from playing the lottery, under the conditions of his probation following a guilty plea for unarmed robbery last year.

Elliott, 55, was ordered "to not gamble, purchase lottery tickets, or visit establishments where gaming is conducted including restaurants where Keno may be played," according to probation order provided by Barnstable first assistant clerk magistrate John Dale.

Cape and Islands District Attorney Michael O'Keefe was unfamiliar with the specific reasoning for the probation order but noted that no-gambling conditions are often ordered after a criminal contends that a gambling problem spurred the crimes. "If somebody is saying my excuse for robbing this bank or convenience store was to get money to pay gambling debts," he said, then conditions are ordered to forbid gambling.

In 2001, Elliott had pleaded guilty to armed robbery. Last year, he pleaded guilty to unarmed robbery at a Cape Cod bank and was ordered to remain under the care of the Department of Mental Health and to stay in a treatment home at Taunton State Hospital.

But last August, he was allowed to be off the premises during the day without supervision. Last Friday, he paid $10 for an $800 million Spectacular lottery ticket at a Hyannis Stop & Shop and found himself a big winner.
Lottery spokesman Dan Rosenfeld said that before prizes are awarded lottery officials check winners' records for liens, delinquent child support, and unpaid taxes to ensure all debts are paid. Criminal records are not a factor.

"This is up to the courts,” Rosenfeld said. “We obviously will listen to what the courts order. It's their call.”

A surrender hearing is scheduled for Dec. 7, said Coria Holland, a spokeswoman for the state office of the commissioner of probation.Checked to see if its a repost...couldn't find anything on it.

haha what a story. I really want to know if they'll let 'em have the $$$. i bet he feels hella cool in jail though.

edit: lol i forgot the y in lottery

Unholy S14
11-29-2007, 09:57 PM
saw it on cnn this morning

sucks for him

kyoru
11-30-2007, 09:05 AM
sucks for him haha

Team Aero-K
11-30-2007, 09:10 AM
are you serious, WTF??? I would like to punch him in the face and take his winning ticket.

dkingkong
11-30-2007, 09:40 AM
saw it on msn the other day..
truly sucks for him!

but what if he just gave the ticket away??
like to a family member?

mRclARK1
11-30-2007, 10:00 AM
Wow... now that's shitty. This guy can't get rich no matter what he tries.

eastcoastS14
11-30-2007, 10:06 AM
hahah this happened it MA how didnt i hear about this lol that sucks

dkingkong
11-30-2007, 10:10 AM

ahaha +1
speaks the truth!

Farzam
11-30-2007, 10:45 AM
HE GOT OWNED

Owned owned owned

kvahag
11-30-2007, 02:37 PM
but what if he just gave the ticket away??
like to a family member?

true, didn't think about that

:bowrofl:

jackjack
12-01-2007, 12:22 PM
dad told me this morning during breakfast. that SUCKS.

2ilvia
12-01-2007, 03:08 PM
did someone say karma?

retrodation ftw

kvahag
12-01-2007, 03:12 PM
did someone say karma?

retrodation ftw

lol he tries everything to get rich.

but he ultimately fails.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x68/Emo_Svetlana/1186869377609.gif