PDA

View Full Version : I am so confused....

The Chad
11-26-2007, 04:45 PM
OK, so I recently purchased a new rear glass weather stripping for my S14 as my old weather stripping was popping out in the corners. This seems like a pretty common occurrence among S14 owners. Well, the problem is that i began to slide in the weather stripping and noticed it stands up about 1/4 of an inch above the glass level, unlike the original which is flush.

I searched around a bit and it seems like everyone just hammers these in to a "clip" that runs the length of the window perimeter. I just wanted to double check because it doesn't seem that this will budge as it is lined up with the window glass runner.

Any Ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks Guys! :)

The Chad
11-26-2007, 08:20 PM
Damn, I never get any feedback. :( Anybody know what i'm talking about?

motorsnail
11-26-2007, 08:25 PM
Damn, I never get any feedback. :( Anybody know what i'm talking about?

Hmmm what exactly is this question you talk so greatly about........ Does the stripping fit or doesnt it? I would like to help.....:wtf:

The Chad
11-26-2007, 08:35 PM
Hmmm what exactly is this question you talk so greatly about........ Does the stripping fit or doesnt it? I would like to help.....:wtf:

haha, well that is the problem at hand. The new rear stripping feeds into the channel around the rear glass where the old stripping was located just fine....The problem is that the new stripping piece sits about 1/4 inch high, and not flush with the glass like factory. i can't seem to press it in any deeper into the groove/channel.

I apologize if I get a bit wordy :) And thanks for the reply.

motorsnail
11-26-2007, 08:42 PM
And this is on the quarter glass right? One you gotta glue in?

The Chad
11-26-2007, 08:44 PM
And this is on the quarter glass right? One you gotta glue in?

With all my babble i did not mention it is the very back glass...the rear "windshield" toward the trunk not the bonnet.

89dc240
11-26-2007, 08:47 PM
Is the new piece exactly like the old one?

motorsnail
11-26-2007, 08:50 PM
Never replaced a rear windshield. But I would just get the stripping on it as flush as possable and just keep test fiting it on there. Just dont put the glue or what ever down tell it fits flush with out it. Get a rubber hammer would work good to tap it in place

The Chad
11-26-2007, 08:51 PM
Is the new piece exactly like the old one?

That's my point. It is the same as far as the groove cut/molded into it so as to feed into the rear glass groove....but it is taller if you hold the original next to the new one, so it sits a bit higher when i feed it in. I even double checked the part number with my friend who is a parts manager at a local Nissan Dealer.

The Chad
11-26-2007, 08:54 PM
Never replaced a rear windshield. But I would just get the stripping on it as flush as possable and just keep test fiting it on there. Just dont put the glue or what ever down tell it fits flush with out it. Get a rubber hammer would work good to tap it in place

That was my next step. I just didn't want to jump into hammering when I didn't know if this was normal. But thanks for the help. :)

Anyone else done this??

motorsnail
11-26-2007, 09:00 PM
That was my next step. I just didn't want to jump into hammering when I didn't know if this was normal. But thanks for the help. :)

Anyone else done this??

Ok so ones "wider" then the other? If the newer one is just like a tad wider its prolly because the old striping has been holding a windshield in and its only rubber thats what rubber does seals mix a little glue and that rubber over time im sure it has shrank a bit. Just my thoughts on it

The Chad
11-26-2007, 09:04 PM
I'll tell you what, I'll take a pic of it tomorrow so we can see what i'm talking about. I don't think im conveying my thoughts well.

The Chad
11-26-2007, 09:05 PM
And you may be right on the old crappy rubber just fading away, but this must have been a lot of fading away. :)

ManoNegra
11-27-2007, 08:41 AM
Weather Stripping Part # and price would make this thread go from zero to hero.

SoloSilvia
11-27-2007, 11:03 AM
I have replaced alot of these, as we rip the out to repaint the cars(no tape line) . Ive had some go right in place, and some fight me for hours! If your rear window has been replaced at all, or even some oem fit ones. Problem may be left over rubber in the grooves, or excessive eurothane(winshield adhesive) around the edges. What Ill do in the cases is cut out the excess with a razor blade and keep test fitting till the hole molding pops in place. Now it may not hold by just popping in. For thias and reassurance it does not pop back out, I put a small bead of eurothane adhesive in the groove, pop in the molding starting one side to the other, and tape over the molding very tight to hold flush in place, let sit all day(or overnight to be safe) and you should be golden!!!

Hope this helps!

The Chad
11-27-2007, 11:31 AM
Weather Stripping Part # and price would make this thread go from zero to hero.

I'm at work now but i can get it off the tag when i get home. It was like $30 new form Nissan.

The Chad
11-27-2007, 11:35 AM
Solosilvia:
I did not even think about that! I think it is the original rear glass but i've only owned the car for 1/2 of its life, so who knows. When i get off work i'll try and run a blade in the groove and see what i come back with. I just really wanted to make sure this was right before i started carving and hammering. :) Great ideas!!

The Chad
11-27-2007, 02:06 PM
I'm at work now but i can get it off the tag when i get home. It was like $30 new form Nissan.

Part number is 79752-65F20

ManoNegra
11-27-2007, 02:37 PM
Sweet... thanks

The Chad
11-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Solosilvia:
I did not even think about that! I think it is the original rear glass but i've only owned the car for 1/2 of its life, so who knows. When i get off work i'll try and run a blade in the groove and see what i come back with. I just really wanted to make sure this was right before i started carving and hammering. :) Great ideas!!

Jesus man...I think i'm just going to cop out and take it the Nissan Body Shop near me (where i purchased it) The stripping i removed has a flush mount extra strip on it, but the new piece does not, plus it doesnt fit in correctly at unless i trimmed the crap out of it :( ...so hopefully this is just the wrong part number ...maybe to a Sentra or something, even though my friend did check it over and over...Jeeez. :( I suppose it's worth the $10 to save me the frustration, :)