PDA

View Full Version : Police arrest suspects in Holloway case

EvilRB
11-21-2007, 04:21 PM
Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071121/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/aruba_missing_teen

ORANJESTAD, Aruba - Three young men previously detained as suspects in the 2005 disappearance of American teenager Natalee Holloway were re-arrested Wednesday, the Aruban public prosecutor's office said, citing new evidence in the case.

Joran van der Sloot of the Netherlands and two Surinamese brothers, Satish and Deepak Kalpoe, were arrested on suspicion of involvement in voluntary manslaughter and causing serious bodily harm that resulted in the death of Holloway, the prosecutor's office said in a statement.

Holloway, of Mountain Brook, Ala., was last seen leaving a bar with the three men on May 30, 2005, hours before she was scheduled to board a plane home with high school classmates celebrating their graduation on the Dutch Caribbean island. She was 18 at the time.

Hundreds of volunteers, Aruban soldiers, police and FBI agents spread out across the island for the missing teen. Later efforts would include divers, Dutch F-16 jets equipped with search equipment, and specially trained dogs. No trace was ever found of her.

Van der Sloot and the Kalpoe brother had previously been detained on suspicion of taking part in her death, but they denied involvement and a judge released them for lack of evidence.

Van der Sloot, 20, was re-arrested in the Netherlands, where he was attending university. The Kalpoe brothers — Deepak is 24, Satish, 21 — were taken into custody in Aruba.

Authorities "ordered their renewed arrest because further investigation into the disappearance has led to new incriminating evidence," the office said without providing further details. Officials there could not immediately be reached for further comment.

The brothers were expected to make an initial appearance in an Aruban court Friday, at which point prosecutors were expected to present the new evidence to a judge. A court date in the island had not yet been set for van der Sloot.

Wim de Bruin, a spokesman for the Dutch national prosecutor's office, said van der Sloot could be sent to Aruba without an extradition hearing and the transfer would occur "within several days."

In April, investigators from the Netherlands dug around the home of van der Sloot's family for two days without revealing what prompted the search. Then in May, Dutch and Aruban investigators visited the home where Deepak and Satish Kalpoe live with their parents for what authorities termed an "inspection," without revealing details.

Vinda de Sousa, an attorney Dave Holloway, Natalee's father, said she has left a message for the family but has not talked to them and is not privy to the new evidence.

"I'm as excited as the Holloway family can be," she said. "Anything new in this case, or any development, just gives you rekindled hope that one day this will be solved. I know the investigation never stopped."

All I can say i about time something happened in this case.
I hate how a girl can get this much attention for this type of case when there are far worst crimes committed without even a word said on the news.
But if they are going to blast it everywhere then they should solve it!

Agamemnon
11-21-2007, 04:36 PM
I think people are interested in this because she flat out disappeared. And the Aruban government wanted to look like they were doing all they can so they could repair their image as a tourist destination.

I get sick to my stomach just thinking about what happened to her.

Farzam
11-22-2007, 12:25 AM
I wonder what happened to her

RIP

DRavenS13
11-22-2007, 01:02 AM
I don't really feel THAT sorry for her, she went for the specific purpose of partying after graduating from high school, so chances were she was plastered.

I'm not saying at all that she had it coming, but she should have exercised a little more caution. Getting totally shit-faced in a foreign country is not a good idea when you're a young female.

I've always wondered too- where the fuck were her friends??? I know my friends have NEVER let me leave their sights when I'm shit-faced at a club. What kind of friends did she have that she could just disappear with some strange guys and not do anything about it?

I think that no one really wants to talk about it, since everyone involved has some culpability in what happened to her.