PDA

View Full Version : Prostate Exam???

OurOnePassion
11-19-2007, 03:44 PM
I was curious... have any of you fellers had one yet?

I know it's supposedly a 40+ year old thing... according to what I've read online. Just wanted to see what the the "right age" is to get your first one. Though I'm merely 21 years old, I don't want to ignore or remain misinformed and end up paying my life and general good health for it in the future. And I tend to be a little paranoid...

Please, spare the inappropriate "doc's finger in your ass" mentality. I'm being for totally seriously, guys and gals.

BustedS13
11-19-2007, 03:59 PM
that's an old guy thing. you don't need one until you're super old.

now, if you just want a finger up your ass, feel free to ask for a prostate exam at your next physical.

do you have reason for concern?

Matej
11-19-2007, 04:05 PM
Do you seriously plan to be alive in 20 years? Haha.

Pank
11-19-2007, 04:09 PM
When my dad got one, he requested a woman, because they have the smallest hands.

azndoc
11-19-2007, 04:13 PM
Yeah your a little too young to be worrying about it.

Unless your seriously scared out of your mind because you have a serious family history of prostate cancer.

But if not then don't worry about it until your at least above 35 y/o.

OurOnePassion
11-19-2007, 04:14 PM
Reason for concern? No, not really... that's why I was wondering "when" you're supposed to have one. Since, I don't really know what I'd really be looking for. I've read what to look for, but due to some of the stuff being relative in opinion: "difficulty" urinating, and such.

Plus, I'm on an anti-psychotic, Adderall, and an anti-epileptic med; and those things will fck you up 10 days from Sunday. Just not sure if they may be affecting something and I not be aware of it.

(meds are for Bipolar I)

I have enough going on, medically, and if I can stop something before it happens, I'd love to. Considering something was wrong and I didn't know it, assuming it was just another side-effect of my other meds.

Know what I mean?

azndoc
11-19-2007, 04:16 PM
I say stop living your life in fear.

All the cool things will just pass you by.

Sounds like your a fucked up little puppy.

Hope everything works out for ya.

GL

OurOnePassion
11-19-2007, 04:16 PM
Do you seriously plan to be alive in 20 years? Haha.

Not if I ever get the poS13 back on the road. Who knows what kind of bomber shit they/we may have in 20 years!

Thanks for the respectful replies.

SW20Racer
11-19-2007, 04:17 PM
had to have one. it definitely sucks but it saved my life so meh...

kdashy
11-19-2007, 04:20 PM
By the time you're old enough to need them, robots will be doing them!

OurOnePassion
11-19-2007, 04:20 PM
I say stop living your life in fear.

All the cool things will just pass you by.

Sounds like your a fucked up little puppy.

Hope everything works out for ya.

GL

Fear? Nah. I just don't like suffering. I'm not wrapped up/obsessed with this issue... just looking for $0.02 and I got it. Thanks. :bigok:

jackjack
11-19-2007, 04:33 PM
buddy of mine had it done. something about the male's in the family getting cancer (grandfather had it). said it wasnt bad at all (all jokes aside).

OurOnePassion
11-19-2007, 04:38 PM
I just remember a guy about 20-25 getting cancer or something when I was but a little guy. I'm pretty sure it was prostate. I mean, I want kids some day, and if that shit is zapped and fkd up... no little Josh's running around! Not a bad thing for the rest of the world...

motorsnail
11-19-2007, 05:39 PM
I just remember a guy about 20-25 getting cancer or something when I was but a little guy. I'm pretty sure it was prostate. I mean, I want kids some day, and if that shit is zapped and fkd up... no little Josh's running around! Not a bad thing for the rest of the world...

................Well if thats all your in fear of is that then go get a bunch of girls pregnant before they cut your balls off scotty.

Tops*
11-19-2007, 05:50 PM
If you're worried, just go get yourself checked out. I mean, seriously, what harm can it do to know how you're doing?

Your body's a temple, keep it clean and healthy.

I'm the same way too, I like to know things. "Sir, I'm sorry to inform you..." "WELL FIX IT, DAMN!"

Howard92884
11-19-2007, 06:43 PM
You shouldn't worry about that, but you should worry about testicular cancer. More of a reason to play with your ballz!!

Neejay
11-19-2007, 06:53 PM
When my dad got one, he requested a woman, because they have the smallest hands.Oh wow, that's a good idea. Seriously never thought about that.

If you're worried, just go get yourself checked out. I mean, seriously, what harm can it do to know how you're doing?

Your body's a temple, keep it clean and healthy.

I'm the same way too, I like to know things. "Sir, I'm sorry to inform you..." "WELL FIX IT, DAMN!"I agree. If you're worried, just go get it done. Can't hurt anything, and if anything you'll already know what to expect in the future. (not joking)

B18C5MK1
11-19-2007, 07:42 PM
got this from about.com

The American Cancer Society recommends yearly testing for men beginning at age fifty.

Men who are higher risk should begin at age 45. Higher risk people include those who have immediate family members who have suffered from prostate cancer (father, brother). African American men are also more at risk for prostate cancer, and should begin testing at 45.

Discuss with your doctor when the right time to begin yearly exams. Together, you can make a decision based on your personal health needs.

You shouldn't worry about that, but you should worry about testicular cancer. More of a reason to play with your ballz!!

indeed. you have a greater risk of having testicular cancer over prostate at your age...

Testicular cancer mainly affects young men between the ages of 20 and 39. It is also more common in men who
Have had abnormal testicle development
Have had an undescended testicle
Have a family history of the cancer
Symptoms include pain, swelling or lumps in your testicles or groin area. Most cases can be treated, especially if it is found early. Treatment options include surgery, radiation and/or chemotherapy. Regular exams after treatment are important. Treatments may also cause infertility. If you may want children later on, you should consider sperm banking before treatment.

g6civcx
11-19-2007, 08:16 PM
Original Poster - please discuss your specific situation with your health care provider. Only by analysing your specific health situation that one can determine your specific health risks.

To the supporters - thanks for your positivity and support.

To the nay-sayers - shut up and go away. You don't have a medical degree. Save smart comments for another thread.

My personal opinion - it is a very quick procedure. Cancer is very serious and should not be taken lightly. You don't just die suddenly with prostate cancer; it's a very long and drawn out disease. Decide accordingly.

MADE
11-19-2007, 09:06 PM
My friend is 33 and dying of colon cancer another just learned that he has testicular cancer and he is 23.

Honestly its a finger that turns people away but better safe then sorry. I'm sure at least 20% of the member on this board has let a girl stick a finger in them

With cancer its better to find it earlier before its spreads and it never hurts to have regular check ups.

diomedes
11-19-2007, 09:56 PM
When my dad got one, he requested a woman, because they have the smallest hands.

Ha, true. And it makes you feel more comfortable. Cause if a guy was doing it then......:confused:

jackjack
11-19-2007, 10:00 PM
hey man... if i needed/wanted to go for peace of mind, i would. nothing to be ashamed of when taking care of your health.

theronin
11-19-2007, 10:41 PM
be weary if he tells you to put both your hands on the table and then he puts both his hands over yours...