PDA

View Full Version : ever feel bad about molesting an unmolested chassis?

cdlong
11-13-2007, 04:27 AM
for all intents and purposes, my car is in perfect shape. it has some dings and the power antenna doesn't work, but the stock paint is in good shape and it runs great due to some decent work on my part. i usually get compliments like "clean car" etc, and not because it's stock untouched. check my profile if you actually care, but this isn't really about my car in particular.

i'm at a point where i want to start doing some more extreme stuff with the car that will take it out of the clean daily driver catagory and into a hacked up race car, striping working AC/radio, cage, GT wing on the wingless trunk, weight reduction.

so do you guys with nice cars ever feel bad about doing stuff that can't be undone? i'm just worried that this will be the beginning of a road towards having a race beater.

mrmephistopheles
11-13-2007, 05:23 AM
Yes.

I've never wanted to mess up a chassis, and I regret some of the things I've done to my cars.
I now feel that any chassis modification should be done to one that's had some issues.

That is - don't go and cut out your fenders and put overfenders onto a car with otherwise pristine fenders. I don't really have a problem with rolling fenders.

I think stripping A/C and interior stuff is dumb, but if you're going to do it, at least give it away to someone who'll use it.

Those of us who are stupid enough to love the cars will need such parts 10/20/30 years down the road.

silviaz
11-13-2007, 06:06 AM
You can race your car without touching the body itself.... Weight reduction won't make u better btw. If you do the job right, it can actually look good.

Bushido
11-13-2007, 06:07 AM
unabused and unmolested s13 and s14's will become a thing of the past very soon. ask me how i know... i must have looked at 30+ janky modified s30's before i decided to buy one. only 7 more years till 240sx reaches classic status.

opponheimer
11-13-2007, 06:08 AM
I love the title of this thread, from the main forum page it says "ever feel bad about molesting...." haha. And yes I'd feel bad.

cdlong
11-13-2007, 06:55 AM
i try :bigok:

nothing i have planned right now couldn't be undone, and i will certainly put the same amount of effort and detail into future endevors to keep it nice, it just seems wrong to remove working features from a nice car or drill holes in a spoilerless trunk (maybe i'll get another one so i don't have to). oh well, i have another car now and i'm moving to colorado so long drives and the need for AC will drop to almost zero.

TRU_DAH-V
11-13-2007, 06:58 AM
Yeah i'll feel bad about doing some major chassis mods on my s14 unless i wreck at a drift event, then i would consider it.

nevaland9
11-13-2007, 07:20 AM
yea, thats why ive still got a full interior and a cage. i wish the heat and AC worked tho, the kid that had the car before me took it out. i also kinda wish i didnt do subframe collars and get rid of all the bushings for heim joints, crazy noises. i also wish i didnt have a welded diff...ugh im such a terrible person

why do we do these terrible things to those who have done nothing to us??
sigh..oh well next time ill buy a lotus

240trainee
11-13-2007, 07:20 AM
Yes.

I've never wanted to mess up a chassis, and I regret some of the things I've done to my cars.
I now feel that any chassis modification should be done to one that's had some issues.

That is - don't go and cut out your fenders and put overfenders onto a car with otherwise pristine fenders. I don't really have a problem with rolling fenders.

I think stripping A/C and interior stuff is dumb, but if you're going to do it, at least give it away to someone who'll use it.

Those of us who are stupid enough to love the cars will need such parts 10/20/30 years down the road.

+1, I've always owned shitty cars and treated them shitty.

I bought my latest coupe with the plan of stripping it down, caging it, full race car spec you know.

Then I put the coilovers and brakes and wheels on and WHOA!!! So nice. chassis is so much more solid, interior has developed a couple rattles with the new stiffness, but nothing that can't be fixed. It has changed my plan to full interior with stitch welding and chassis braces. I'll cage my other POS chassis and make it mad max style. This one is too nice.

CrimsonRockett
11-13-2007, 09:42 AM
I feel bad because I'm constantly giving old friends from high school rides to shows, parties, movies, etc. and my car is loud and bumpy as fuck(on these pos streets around here).

On smooth surfaces, my car feels AWESOME.

I still have all of my stock parts. My interior is still fully in tact. Body has been left unmolested apart from the added front lip and soon to come sideskirts.

I didn't buy my car with the intention of going "balls out" and tracking the shit out of it.

I bought it because I love working on cars and I love being different.

Sure, I could've used the $xxxxx amount of money towards a newer car, but I would've had like, thousands of other cars that looked exactly like mine.

I get compliments on a daily basis.

I love the stage my car is currently at.

I wouldn't give it up for the world.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/2649000-2649999/2649657_51_full.jpg

Once the sideskirts go on, it'll be repainted the same factory red and i'll be focusing on keeping it as clean as possible.

C. Senor
11-13-2007, 09:51 AM
i would feel bad. i suppose you can say i have a fairly nice bodied coupe. except one dent which will hopefully be taken care of some time in the next couple months. but i would do anything like widening of fenders, or strip the interior, i've been thinking about removing the a/c, but i'm going to keep it because summer in socal is sucky. i am very happy with not touching anything of that nature on my car. so dont do it. it is a pretty damn nice looking car you have there.

ROUGE180
11-13-2007, 09:54 AM
I go back and forth. Right now my car is clean and has no exterior modifications. I have and 89' pignose and I still have the lip that came with the car. When I gutted the interior I was like damn. I got the car from and old lady who was the first owner and that shiet was mint. There were OEM parts in it that I never knew existed like the cover that screws into the sunroof to block out light. The backseats had never ever ever been used. It was just money. Although the backseats are pointless unless you're a midget I still think maybe I should have kept it around but for what? I dont know.

The main thing for me is that I have a vision of what I want my car to look like in the end. I don't think Im going to mess with the body as in wide fenders etc. etc.. I'm just going to get some flush wheels, and s13 K's frontend and call it a day. Some new wheels and paint are obligatory. Im going to get another s13 hatch that may be a little jacked and go nuts with that. I do want a convertable s13 aswell because they are rare now. So in 10yrs they are going to be unheard of.

So all in all, yeah it's painful. It all depends on what your vision in the first place.

diomedes
11-13-2007, 09:55 AM
Yeah, I did the same to my car. It was a perfect running s14 with no problem what so ever and I messed it up. I put a cheap rear tail lights conversion on and I hated it. Did some minor modification to the engine and regret it. Think twice about what you're going to do. I regret it because I had to part the whole car out.

Full-Lock
11-13-2007, 09:59 AM
i ALMOST cut my perfect rear fenders for overs...but i couldnt bring myself to do it

tacotacotaco
11-13-2007, 09:59 AM
i have 2 fastbacks I gutted a 93 se ac heater everything like its a shell. No regrets only because its a track car. Now i have a 90 fastback unmolested never taken apart as in no dash takin in takin out bumper never taken off etc. Just the fact that its clean and un molested i could never start tearing it apart. I rather just keep it as is and find a rolling shell to do the work on.

Vision Garage
11-13-2007, 10:01 AM
for my s13 i dont care. For my s14s i have to reconsider before i do. Maybe cuz parts are harder to get.

PRADOgy
11-13-2007, 10:02 AM
I came up on a s13 coupe soooo stock .. it has a rebuild ka24de.. everything is so damn fresh from wiring to the intake box.. damn.. ill post pics tomorrow.. only thing iv done is paint it ..

s14unimog
11-13-2007, 10:32 AM
My s14 is in the same catagory, if left stock it would have been perfect. Like for instance I want to roll my fenders in the rear and stuff some big ol wheels in there but I don't want to kill perfect rear quarter fenders.

But I guess if you plan to keep it for awhile and its your baby, then just do a good job at least.

Yuri
11-13-2007, 10:42 AM
I used to feel bad about it, but then realized that whatever I build will be a huge improvement over whatever it started as. Which is why I felt confident enough to cut on a mint low-mileage all original seafoam 2-tone.
Imagine if I had left it stock.

I'm trying to hunt down a lavender frost coupe however, and would consider restoring it to showroom condition, just to have two extremes.

azndoc
11-13-2007, 10:47 AM
I don't feel bad about it.

It's a car.

It's meant to be modded to your own spec.

That's why we're all into cars. We want to make something of our own style and drive the car.

speedgod^s13
11-13-2007, 10:55 AM
I can't drive stock. Do I feel guilty? Fuck no. I buy cars, for the sole purpose of molesting them.

B Love
11-13-2007, 10:58 AM
I dont feel bad. its a car and plenty of em out there

Dousan_PG
11-13-2007, 11:29 AM
not at all.
my fastback was PERFECT
few dings
perfect rear fendres

fuck that pussy shit

cut that bitch up
wide fenders
big wheels
hammered the hell out of the wheel wells
took of as much stock stuff as i could and redid it

a perfect chassis is the perfect build up for a sweet track car!!

EJ253
11-13-2007, 11:35 AM
^^^ i was gunna say the same thing :D

i bought mine stock as hell
then i raped it until i thought it was drifty enough.
...then i raped it again just for fun

axiomatik
yeah, on one hand I want to track my car. on the other hand, it's a clean, rust-free two-tone coupe that I've owned for 12 years now. I couldn't bear it if I messed it up. I want to get some ragged (but straight) hatch to be a track-only car so that I can keep my coupe pristine. I always cringe when I see '98s all hacked up. so sad.

vvtisupra
No its just a 240

B Love
11-13-2007, 11:36 AM
a perfect chassis is the perfect build up for a sweet track car!!

Pretty much sums it all up

B Love
11-13-2007, 11:38 AM
yeah, on one hand I want to track my car. on the other hand, it's a clean, rust-free two-tone coupe that I've owned for 12 years now. I couldn't bear it if I messed it up. I want to get some ragged (but straight) hatch to be a track-only car so that I can keep my coupe pristine. I always cringe when I see '98s all hacked up. so sad.

Everyone wants to keep a car in super awesome condition. But when it comes down to it, its only a car. Might as well have fun. Some random person can hit you and total it at any point in time and it will be gone so you might as well have fun with it. No regrets

jskateborders
11-13-2007, 11:38 AM
Everytime I go to cut some metal on the chasis, I get that feeling in the pit of my stomach, like 'ok this is it, no turning back'. Then I cut. I usually get over it in a couple days

imotion s14
11-13-2007, 11:56 AM
if theres grease under the hood, then play ball.

agame001
11-13-2007, 12:30 PM
i just hate it when perfectly restored classic cars are trashed in the movies. you know that car and all those parts aren't coming back. oh yeah and the way that so many cars, new and classic, are crushed.

tre
11-13-2007, 12:33 PM
After I totaled my first car at the track. I realized if its not a car, its a toaster. Who gives a fuck. Tear that bitch apart and have fun! If someone is going to scrutinize you, for what you want to do to have fun. They can go fuck themselves. Don't take other peoples' opinions they'll just make you worry more about your decision, wait did i say your decision? The farther from stock it is, the more fun it is. And thats my personal experience.

pinkarrowsnow
11-13-2007, 04:13 PM
My car has 29k on it and its a 91 I feel horrible doing stuff to it but the way I look at it, it is the cleanest most unmolested car I could have found. If anyone wants to trade pm me I sorta want a s14.

JRas
11-13-2007, 04:35 PM
lately, I've been having a hard time....

the inside of my car is very clean and yet I get the urge to strip most of it just because I don't feel it's needed on the other hand it's been so well taken care of it's hard to just remove it.

But I think to myself I have a KA it's not worth it at this point

SimpleSexy180
11-13-2007, 04:51 PM
my car was clean as fuck when i bought it in 04. stock with nice paint. O well, i like having the look of a crazy car.

smelly240
11-13-2007, 05:02 PM
cut it!

:)

its not like in ur gonna daily a s13 for your whole life - LOL

thats what infiniti is for.

cloudstrife930
11-13-2007, 05:13 PM
I bought an s14 with 200,000 on the clock, and dents on the left rear quater, fading paint, shitty tires, bad clutch, burning oil, crappy interior, bad brakes ANything I do, I dont have any regrets. But I know from previous cars that i got which were brand new, or vey nice. Is if you do something in good tatse, you wont feel bad. Make sure whatever you wanna do comes out mint. If you do anything on a minty car that comes out half assed, you'll wanna shoot yourself everytime you look at it. Otherwise, you'll feel good about your decision.

cloudstrife930
11-13-2007, 05:16 PM
My car has 29k on it and its a 91 I feel horrible doing stuff to it but the way I look at it, it is the cleanest most unmolested car I could have found. If anyone wants to trade pm me I sorta want a s14.

read my post, you can trade me for my s14 if you want, you gonna have work to do tho.

cwd240
11-13-2007, 05:21 PM
My 90 was in immaculate shape when I bought it and still is, but I still took out the interior and it won't have ac when the swap is done. The point is it is really up to personal preference. An untouched 240 is a rarity these days as said before, but the point of owning a car is to have fun with it.

cdlong
11-13-2007, 05:40 PM
i guess i shouldn't feel bad about tearing into it, but like some of you guys, i bought a car because it was pretty clean and put more work and $$ into it to make it more so. i never really planned on anything too extreme. i can fit big enough wheels under the stock body and the other stuff can be undone. the only thing that will kill me is cutting up the interior for the cage. i swapped out the ugly green interior for a nice black one only to cut it up. uggh, what a waste.

245 R-Comps on 9.5" wheels sounds good to me. (not my car, just proof that it can be done)
http://u2ndyno.com/pics/builds/Dan/Dunville/U2NDYNOS14_1.jpg

mrmephistopheles
11-14-2007, 03:08 AM
I'm trying to hunt down a lavender frost coupe however, and would consider restoring it to showroom condition, just to have two extremes.

YES. DO THIS. I've been itching to to a restore on an S13 or S14 for awhile now. There's a new premie 'Petrol' who does this over in the UK.

i just hate it when perfectly restored classic cars are trashed in the movies. you know that car and all those parts aren't coming back. oh yeah and the way that so many cars, new and classic, are crushed.

I hate that too. Like the Chevelle in Talladega Nights, a seemingly cherry car that they run into other cars and a house. WTF. I'm sure there were a few copies of it too.

Andrew Bohan
11-14-2007, 03:15 AM
I love the title of this thread, from the main forum page it says "ever feel bad about molesting...." haha. And yes I'd feel bad.

ok well... i saw that on the main forum page

then i clicked to come into chat, and i knew there are stickies, so i looked down and saw the second thread. and i had already read the first half of the thread title, so i only read the second half of the second's thread's title, which was "yourself! NO PICTURES!! "

so i'm thinking, did i just see a thread called "ever feel bad about molesting yourself! NO PICTURES!!"

i was getting ready for some trolling and mega banning. hahahah

Farzam
11-14-2007, 03:42 AM
I don't molest my car.

I modify it tastefully to enhance vanity/performance of it and to keep it up to par with today's standards. It isn't the 80s/90s anymore, what was ballin like crazy then is plain and boring today.

Btw, did y'all know how crazy the 240sx was back when it came out? A not square dash OMGG!!!

ROUGE180
11-14-2007, 09:09 AM
Btw, did y'all know how crazy the 240sx was back when it came out? A not square dash OMGG!!!

hahahah seriouly right? We were sleek and the hotness for sure!! It was definatly forward thinking and why it still looks so good today.

trsilvias13
11-14-2007, 10:51 AM
Its a 240sx. You bought it for a reason. Mod it, drive it, have fun.

I bought a very clean 97 240sx. All suspension has been moded, nice wheels, next is deciding what to do powerwise... so many option for us these days, it is not that easy.

But decision to mod or leave it clean.. way to easy to decide for me.. MODIFY

Matej
11-14-2007, 01:25 PM
It's only molesting it if you make it ugly.

drift freaq
11-14-2007, 02:13 PM
I try to strike a balance. Fact is unless your Mr D1 pro or Mr Formula D stripping the interior out of drift car is completely unnecessary. IMO.
Weight saving is not that much of an issue in a drift car unless your in the aforemention series and again this is my opinion.

That said if you do Autocross , Time Attack or any kind of road racing stuff its a must. Given all of this I also question the validity of having to stitch weld our chassis's again unless your doing the serious shit above its not really needed. Good chassis bracing with a cage will achieve the added stiffness.

Now I know the track jockeys like Dousan will probably come out of the wood work over my statements but its the fucking truth!
I have even talked with mechanical engineers about this very subject that were into our cars and liked drifting.
In the end my current build up is careful balance because it will still see street duty as well as plans to track it sometimes. It does have the working digital climate control it does have some nice interior work. It will have a 300hp smog legal engine( yup I said that). It will be dropped with a steel fendered S15 front end and rolled and pulled fenders. Though it will retain a state of civilness and not be some track machine that does not belong on the street.
If you want to that fine. If you feel you track your car often enough to turn it into a D1 or Formula D spec car great. If your not doing it professionally or not going to the track more than once a month? I think your wasting your time stripping it down and stitch welding it etc... There hate my ass for saying its how I fucking feel.

atom
11-14-2007, 02:27 PM
It's weird, I remember seeing a really clean green S13 hatch a few weeks ago. Stock body with xenon lip and wats and I actually stopped to look at it. I almost never stop to look at cars, ever. Every riced out 240 I barely glance at cuz they are so common.

Then I look at my stupid S14 with unpainted body kit that I haven't touched in months and wonder what the hell happened. I don't regret what I've done to my car because when I get off my lazy ass and finish it it'll be way better than a stock 240 but I guess when it's all said and done a nice clean stockish 240 might be more "unique" than my car will be.

soreballz
11-15-2007, 01:14 AM
No its just a 240
Fucking truth.

They're cheap econo-sports cars from the 80s/90s. WGAF, these cars will NEVER be collectible.

axiomatik
11-15-2007, 07:42 AM
Fucking truth.

They're cheap econo-sports cars from the 80s/90s. WGAF, these cars will NEVER be collectible.

I'm willing to bet that 30 years from now they will be the muscle cars of today.

atom
11-15-2007, 09:25 AM
Fucking truth.

Anything is collectible. Pez dispensers? Besides, you think s30's and dimes were any different than 240's of their day?