PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hill 0rigins for PSP --- [mini review]

zomgdrft
11-08-2007, 01:25 AM
First off, my wife and I love all the Silent Hill games, aside from the bastardization that was part 4, but we won't get into that. So it's no surprise we were pretty stoked about Silent Hill 0rigins for the PSP. Classic Silent Hill gameplay with some new mechanics is what was promised from the developers.

That being said, it's pretty much what 0rigins is, and it does it quite well. It's a prequel, that depicts some of the events prior to Silent Hill 1 on the PS1. It also tries to include some pieces here and there from the movie, which is good, because my wife and I really enjoyed that as well.

Gameplay: If you've ever played Silent Hill 1, 2, or 3 you pretty much know what to expect. Quasi-slow tense fight scenes, fairly deep story, and quite few good cheap scares here and there. This addition to the series is no different. Some of the newer mechanics here include a fast equip bar which is utilized by pressing the D-pad. I enjoy this feature, however I'm not quite sure how I feel about the other new feature, destructable weapons. Yeah, that's right, you know that 2x4 you picked up in the previous room? Well the next rooms monster has a seriously tough head and your weapons can, and will break on use :( I have concluded this is both a good and bad feature to the game. Good because it adds to the strategy at which you engage monsters, and hightens the tension; and bad because, well, you can screw yourself over if you run out of melee weapons and have you use your fists. Some other iffy things stem from having to utilize caffein drinks because your character seems to tire really fast when running. This is only a minor concern, however. The puzzles are your typical run-of-the-mill survival horror style puzzles, nothing new here.

Graphics: Outstanding for a portable. What's that? I can have some real time lighting and shadows in a portable horror game? Bad-freaking-ass. Definitely some of the best graphics I've seen on the PSP.

Sound: Akira Yamaoka is back with more awesome dark, creepy music. Music and sound can either make or break a survival horror game. It certainly helps make this one. The voice acting is good, not great, but that's the norm for many games in this genre.

Overall it's a great game I believe. And well worth it's $29.95 price tag at retail stores. We played it for several hours tonight and will probably finish it by the end of this week. It's creepy, fun, and shines some light on the mystery that is Silent Hill. Which in my opinion, are the best survival horror games on the market. I can't wait for Silent Hill 5 on my PS3.

8/10

Obligatory trailers:

keW8bAuizJE

rf1SktgAaOM

zomgdrft
11-08-2007, 06:38 PM
Wow no survival horror fans here at all?

B Love
11-08-2007, 07:14 PM
I dont like PSP

zomgdrft
11-08-2007, 07:35 PM
I wasn't a huge fan either until the recent release of the PSP 2000 model. Lighter, thinner, faster loading, and more RAM, not to mention component video out. That's how the system should have been at launch. There are tons of great games for it and now I can play em mobile or hook them up to the 32" LCD in the bedroom or 52" in the living room.

B Love
11-08-2007, 07:43 PM
I mean I want one but I dont think I wold ever have time to use it you know

qt_240
11-08-2007, 07:49 PM
thankx for the write up.. i was planning on picking this game up!

zomgdrft
11-08-2007, 07:59 PM
I mean I want one but I dont think I wold ever have time to use it you know
Well not liking the system and not having time are two seperate issues :)
Not everyone has time for games, this is true. I'm just an avid gamer and always have been since I got my Nintendo back in 87. It's all about priorities in life, and gaming just sits as a higher priority for me than it does for many others. Anyways, enough rambling, my only point being here, is that if you have time, and want to play a decent scary horror game, definitely don't pass this one up.

B Love
11-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Coool. Is it on PS2? I have to buy a new one and mine broke like 2 years ago lol

jackjack
11-08-2007, 09:34 PM
damn. looks good. thanks for the review.

LoanShark
11-09-2007, 02:14 AM
so this game explains all the fucked shit or what? 2 was the last one I played.

zomgdrft
11-09-2007, 03:46 PM
Fucked shit? What do you mean? The new game explains a little yes, but it doesn't explain a lot, but that's the point. The developers and story writers for the Silent Hill games are fantastic. They leave a lot open to interpretation. No one still knows exactly what the town of Silent Hill is. The movie explained more than the games, but it's kind of going in it's own direction, which is fine, because it's a movie, it should explain more so it doesn't leave the audience dumb founded. It has to appeal to a broader ranged audience.

B Love
11-09-2007, 11:50 PM
Is this game on 360?

zomgdrft
11-10-2007, 12:53 AM
Is this game on 360?
No, thankfully. It's a PSP exclusive.

Grendel
11-10-2007, 03:57 AM
I'm buying a PSP as soon as the BX gets a copy of the final fantasy tactics remake in. I've never played a silent hill game, but it looks like it might be worth a shot.

zomgdrft
11-10-2007, 04:58 AM
Yeah, the Tactics remake is awesome. It's also more difficult than the original. Classes require higher levels to reach, etc. Extremely well done remake, however.

B Love
11-10-2007, 11:44 AM
No, thankfully. It's a PSP exclusive.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO hahhaha dang I was actually interested too