PDA

View Full Version : mountain biking and rock climbing

agame001
11-06-2007, 06:12 PM
does anyone go mountain biking? rock climbing? anything near socal is cool. i've been climbing for almost a year and i just got into biking. i'm looking for other people to go with near the UCR area.

BlackZenkiS14
11-06-2007, 07:14 PM
Man, i wish i lived out west. I try to climb at least 3 times a month, and i hit the trails on the bike at least twice a week!

What is your climbing level? and what kind of bike do you ride?

agame001
11-07-2007, 12:52 AM
oh man that's so cool.. i like climbing 5.10c's and d's at the nearby quarry. 5.11s are tough, i can't seem to finish them. i actually work at UCR's ropes course where we have a 40 foot climbing wall with 20 different routes ranging from 5.9's to 5.12's.

as for riding, i recently started off with a 2007 Diamondback Response Sport. picked it up for $200. i also do ultimate frisbee. i know that's big in the midwest. what do you climb? which bike do you have?

BlackZenkiS14
11-07-2007, 08:30 AM
I climb mostly around southern Illinois at Drapers bluff, and Jackson falls. But i climb most often in Columbia, there is nothing but shitty rock here, but the crags are like 10 minutes from my house. which makes it good for me. i have completed a 10c, but i consider myself more of a 5.9 climber. I can clean 5.9's almost ever time, but still struggle with 10+.

Right now i have a Cannondale F500 with the Fatty P-Bone headshock. I also have a frankenstein Paramount with manitou, shimano LX, stealth bars, and new v-brakes.

mRclARK1
11-07-2007, 09:55 AM
I rock/mountain climb when I can. Which is not very often. I'm hoping to get more into it when I have the time. A guy I worked for several weeks with in the Andes had climbed Everest, and was preparing to climb a large peak in the Andes that summer, so he let me help out and come along on his prep/practice climbs. He kinda got me hooked more into it.

agame001
11-07-2007, 10:31 AM
Right now i have a Cannondale F500 with the Fatty P-Bone headshock. I also have a frankenstein Paramount with manitou, shimano LX, stealth bars, and new v-brakes.

damn that cannondale is phat!! i'll be at that level someday. i'd be happy with a full suspension specialized fsrxc. if not, then i'll customize a lighter bike frame and frankenstein it with a bunch of nice stuff.

I rock/mountain climb when I can. Which is not very often. I'm hoping to get more into it when I have the time. A guy I worked for several weeks with in the Andes had climbed Everest, and was preparing to climb a large peak in the Andes that summer, so he let me help out and come along on his prep/practice climbs. He kinda got me hooked more into it.

whoa!! are you talking about Ed Viesturs? he climbed Mt. Everest 6 times without an oxygen tank. he also climbed all 14 the tallest peaks in the world. he and micah dash (rock climber) came to UCR and spoke to us about their endeavors. it was awesome.

BlackZenkiS14
11-07-2007, 11:36 AM
I work for a Bike/Climbing shop, so i'm hoping i can pick up a Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe Full suspension next summer. Fox front and rear shocks... etc

agame001
11-07-2007, 12:54 PM
oh damn that gary fisher is insane!! are you getting a huge discount for that? i know of a guy who works for a bike shop and he sells bikes sometimes for real cheap and then pockets the money. i guess his manager never notices. it's kinda sad. but i guess the manager makes 'bank' though. someday i'll have my full suspension.

BlackZenkiS14
11-07-2007, 01:19 PM
yea, i get about 10% off of cost price. So a bike we sell in the store for 2300, i can get for around 1100

mRclARK1
11-07-2007, 04:12 PM
whoa!! are you talking about Ed Viesturs? he climbed Mt. Everest 6 times without an oxygen tank. he also climbed all 14 the tallest peaks in the world. he and micah dash (rock climber) came to UCR and spoke to us about their endeavors. it was awesome.

No that wasn't his name, He was very experienced though. Hell... he may have known the guy, wouldn't surprise me. He had climbed all the highest peaks in the major mountain ranges.

He took me on this "test" where we had to move along a ridge, from one side of a mountain face along to the opposite face. He said when we got started, that if we could do the hike, basically run, inside 20 mins. we were in good enough shape to climb Everest. This guy was 58 at the time, and he kept up with me every step, and we finished in JUST over 20 mins. I was impressed to say the least. I was 19 and in phenomenal shape, and this guy kept the pace. Just goes to show you that you never really get too old... or at least not as soon as you think.

agame001
11-07-2007, 04:31 PM
dayumm!! that's really impressive!! i would like to climb a mountain peak someday. maybe kilimanjaro. but preparing for that would cost a few G's; buying all the clothing, paying for the guide to take you up there.

BlackZenkiS14
11-07-2007, 07:54 PM
How many of you guys climb trad?

I'm gonna start assembling my trad rack next season. So far i've been mostly just doing sport routes or simple top ropes.

timtiminy
12-29-2008, 12:24 PM
I climb and bike and live in the socal area, I just started climbing earlier this year and have been biking for a while, let me know if you want to meet up and do either some climbing or riding, oh and my climbing gear is limited so thats why i am looking for people to hook up with. birthday coming soon so.. (crossing fingers)

yokotas13
12-29-2008, 01:26 PM
i ride downhill

i need a Rock Shox Boxxer for next season if anyone has a hookup

WERDdabuilder
12-29-2008, 02:49 PM
there's a place here in upland called Hanger 18 for rock climbing i want to go try.

timtiminy
12-29-2008, 03:39 PM
hanger 18 is pretty cool, but they dont have AC and when i went in the summer it was like a sauna but maybe its good now in the winter.