PDA

View Full Version : time for laptop advice.

BustedS13
11-04-2007, 03:28 PM
i've always had a desktop. my whole life, nothing but desktops. i used to be what you might call a "gamer". i'm not anymore. i use my desktop for three things. the internet, massive storage for my movie collection, and phtoshop. that's it.
now, i'm keeping my desktop. but i'm going to control it through radmin on whatever laptop i buy. now, here's where your opinion comes in.

i want a good, clean laptop. i'm going to run Vista. this computer needs to have power, it needs to be dual core. it needs a smaller widescreen, in the neighborhood of 13-14 inches. i want portability.
it's down to either a thinkpad or a macbook. yes, a macbook. i'd go with a thinkpad, but for the same price, i could get a similarly featured macbook and throw vista on it with bootcamp, and then i'd be able to run final cut pro and... well, okay, that's really all i'd use the apple side for. but that'd still be cool.

so i guess what i want is somebody with user experience, using windows on an apple computer. i could give a shit about OSX. does everything run properly? are you running XP or Vista? have you run into any issues with hardware compatibility? anything at all?

post up!

LongGrain
11-04-2007, 03:31 PM
i dont have experience with a thinkpad, but i have the black macbook and i'm running vista on it w/ bootcamp. and i absolutely love it. it does everything i need it too, and honestly ive barely used my vista at all. its super portable, i bring it to all my classes. its also durable. ive never dropped it or put it through any real abuse. but ive bumped it on tables n stuff when its in my backpack and what not, and its never had a problem.

fromxtor
11-04-2007, 03:42 PM
Macbook no doubt, windows and mac programs you cant lose.

BustedS13
11-04-2007, 03:46 PM
sigh. i swore i'd never buy anything from apple bigger than an ipod.

SochBAT
11-04-2007, 04:48 PM
If you're minimal, consider getting a simple laptop, not too pricey, and throwing UBUNTU on that beast.

Minimal, user friendly, never have to pay for software, and tons of better substitutes for Native Windows/MAC programs. Check it out.

I've got a Ubuntu CD if you'd like to have it. You can run the LiveDesktop off the CD, see if it works for you.

BustedS13
11-04-2007, 04:51 PM
If you're minimal, consider getting a simple laptop, not too pricey, and throwing UBUNTU on that beast.

Minimal, user friendly, never have to pay for software, and tons of better substitutes for Native Windows/MAC programs. Check it out.

I've got a Ubuntu CD if you'd like to have it. You can run the LiveDesktop off the CD, see if it works for you.

i've run ubuntu off a live cd. i don't care for it. and i don't pay for software as it is, so i'll stick to name brands with paid developers :D

open source is there, but it's not... THERE yet. some day.

SochBAT
11-04-2007, 05:05 PM
very true.

And i totally didn't read the top part about hardware reqs.

Wait it out for BlackFREEDAY!