View Full Version : Woman Videotaped Falling Asleep While Driving On I-25

EvilRB
10-31-2007, 02:18 PM
Woman Videotaped Falling Asleep While Driving On I-25

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/2007/1018/14365162_240X180.jpg

Witness Says Drowsy Driver Was Going Up To 70 MPH

POSTED: 11:04 am MDT October 17, 2007
UPDATED: 5:45 am MDT October 18, 2007
[NEWSVINE: Woman Videotaped Falling Asleep While Driving On I-25] [DELICIOUS: Woman Videotaped Falling Asleep While Driving On I-25] [DIGG: Woman Videotaped Falling Asleep While Driving On I-25] [FACEBOOK: Woman Videotaped Falling Asleep While Driving On I-25] [REDDIT: Woman Videotaped Falling Asleep While Driving On I-25] [RSS] [PRINT: Woman Videotaped Falling Asleep While Driving On I-25] [EMAIL: Woman Videotaped Falling Asleep While Driving On I-25]
DENVER -- An admittedly drowsy driver has been ticketed following an incident that was all caught on videotape.

The woman drove for more than 30 miles in the Denver metro area while she was nodding off.

Christian Pruett and his wife were driving on Interstate 25 on Monday morning when they noticed a sport utility vehicle next to them drifting from lane to lane, and nearly sideswiping their car.

The couple grabbed their video camera and photographed the sleeping woman with her head back as her vehicle moved along I-25 at speeds of up to 70 mph.

7NEWS contacted the registered owner of the vehicle Wednesday night and was told a friend was driving the vehicle. The woman, who asked not to be identified, said her friend had been fighting the flu and was en route to a doctor in Fort Collins. The vehicle owner claims her friend frequently caught herself nodding off.

The Pruetts called the Colorado State Patrol via *CSP several times to report the woman's location, but there were jurisdictional problems as she crossed into different cities.

"I couldn't believe it took so long," Pruett told TheDenverChannel.

At one point, the Pruetts gasped as the woman's SUV swerved in front of a speeding 18-wheeler.

The sleepy motorist wasn't stopped until she'd driven all the way into Weld County, which is under the state patrol's traffic jurisdiction.

CSP spokesman Trooper Gilbert Mares said authorities responded as quickly, and safely, as possible.

7NEWS confirmed Wednesday Pruett was routed to Denver 911 twice, called directly a third time, and spoke with CSP during a fourth call. Both Denver Police and State Patrol officials said all protocols and procedures were followed by dispatchers and responding officers.

The Colorado State Patrol identified the driver as Karyn Steinert, 28, of Littleton, Colo., according to the Rocky Mountain News. She was ticketed for investigation of reckless driving.

She reportedly told the trooper who stopped her that she had only slept two hours the night before, and that she has multiple sclerosis, which can slow response times.

Responding to concerns raised by Pruett about response times, the following time line was provided to 7NEWS. Information is based on details provided by the Denver Police Department and Colorado State Patrol.

10:02 A.M. - First call recieved by Denver 911 via Pruett's original *CSP call.
10:04 A.M. - Denver police say an alert was aired to District 4 and all highway cars.
10:10 A.M. - Pruett calls a second time. Denver police say responding officers were already in the area of I-25 and I-70.
10:18 A.M. - Pruett calls Denver 911 directly. By this time, Denver police say the vehicle is out of the primary jurisdiction.
10:19 A.M. - CSP says it received a call from Pruett. When a state trooper is not in the immediate area known as District 1, CSP notifies the next District to the North, District 3. A trooper terminated a call and began to wait for vehicle in question.
10:33 A.M. - CSP Trooper successfully pulls over vehicle. Driver cited and given transportation to a Park And Ride location to wait for friend.

Executive Director of Denver 911, Carl Simpson, told 7NEWS all dispatchers take their jobs very seriously and treated this case in the same manner.

Denver Police Spokesperson Sonny Jackson said, "They (dispatchers) did everything according to policy."

Pruett, however, remains concerned about the amount of time it took for law enforcement to eventually catch up to the vehicle.

"There were times when she passed between semis when I thought, 'That's it, this is over we're going to see someone die, and all we'll have is this video tape that shows nobody was there to help.'"

In a recent study by Virginia Tech researchers, cameras were installed in 100 cars, most of them the study participants' personal cars, to film driving behavior for a whole year. The study's findings included the determination that drowsy drivers were a factor in about 12 percent of the crashes that occurred during the year. The study showed that drowsiness contributed to 20 percent of all crashes and 16 percent of near crashes. Researchers were concerned by the findings because they believe that drowsiness as a factor in car crashes or near-accidents is under-reported.

"People think drowsy driving means you fall asleep," a researcher said. "All it takes is a lapse of a second or two, and you might not be aware of it. The Virginia Tech research showed that the drowsy driver could be you. It could be me."

source: http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/14360882/detail.html#

I've seen this happen way too many times driving to work in the mornings.
I'm just glad this didn't end up in an accident but you know others did.

Becareful driving especially tonight peoples!!

Happy Halloween!!!

RJF
10-31-2007, 02:20 PM
That happened just a few miles from here.

Glad I don't have to commute anymore.

yzlvca99
10-31-2007, 02:45 PM
y didnt they just honk at the woman and waver her off!!!!!

Fucking retards

EvilRB
10-31-2007, 02:56 PM
^^ Thats ture!

I didn't even think about that!

yzlvca99
10-31-2007, 03:24 PM
Instead of honking they rather watch her collide with semitrucks.

steve shadows
10-31-2007, 03:25 PM
being that fat would make you tired too

wootwoot
10-31-2007, 03:27 PM
Seriously....OMG SOMEONE IS DRIVING DANGEROUSLY AND IS UNAWARE! What do we do?! ummmmm. Grab the video camera! Dont worry about alerting them with something to wake them up. Cars dont come equipped with alerting devices also known as horns.

ManoNegra
10-31-2007, 03:35 PM
Happened to a guy I knew in college. Woke up, not from the impact mind you, in a ditch heading north on the 5.

sw20>>s14
10-31-2007, 03:51 PM
seriously, how could you not think about honking? no thought process necessary, it should have been an instinct...dumbasses...would have been funny if she hit someone/something and the couple filming would be the first to go down for the "good sameritan" law in seinfeld...hahah...

ive had a friend dose off on A BIKE (!!!) and smack his head on a toll booth pole...hahah, he was so lucky...

10-31-2007, 03:58 PM
It's a very scary feeling when tiredness creeps up on you when driving.

ManoNegra
10-31-2007, 04:21 PM
It's a very scary feeling when tiredness creeps up on you when driving.

Not as bad as when you're driving tripping on chronic... :eek:

steve shadows
10-31-2007, 04:23 PM
Not as bad as when you're driving tripping on chronic... :eek:

or serin :naughty:

projekt_s13
10-31-2007, 04:45 PM
Most S13's dont have horns since they have aftermarket steering wheels. lol

stinky_180
10-31-2007, 06:38 PM
i think honking at her would've startled her a grip and possibly start a big accident.

jackjack
10-31-2007, 08:20 PM
geez......i'd hate to be on the same road as her.