PDA

View Full Version : The Official Lifting/Working-out Thread

xcusememisswyn
10-28-2007, 07:04 PM
I live in New Jersey. So I obviously get my grunt on in the gym, HGH and Muscle Milk is all I eat. I spike my hair up, get in the zone, and lift like my last name is Schwarzenegger. I want everyone to see how jacked and tan I am wherever I go.

No, but really. Who works out seriously? None of that run once a week and lift pussy weights in the gym wearing jeans and a buttonup shit, who works out the right way?

Yah, theres a bunch of right ways, and I know a lot of people here have to lift, so post up what you do, how often, any supplements, and whatever else you feel like discussing.

I lift 6 days a week. My schedule is Triceps, Biceps, Chest, Back, Shoulders, Legs, Off. 4 exercises, 6 sets.

I eat just chicken, pasta, and peanut butter. I would like to eat more, but being a college student 240 owner is as good as being homeless, you stay flat broke all the time. No soda, no candy, just lots of carbs and protiens.

I'm a towering 5' 5", weigh 138, no fat. And no I'm not a guido, it was a joke, I'm far from it.

Discuss, and keep it constructive, this threads got potential. Especially because for everyone of you that works out, theres three of you who wants to do more activity than the trip to the fridge, or the shift from 1st to 2nd. Maybe this will get somebody motivated, and it will give me some ideas to better what I do.

tougemiata
10-28-2007, 08:02 PM
yea i lift. i'm a tiny 6'4" and around 240lbs with a 7% BF. I played rugby til i broke my neck, lost some weight and now putting it back on.

As for me, i eat a lot of food, lift 5 days a week. Its hard to balance school and a finance, but i am trying to make it work. She cooks for me sometimes and we do the gym thing together. The gym is way more fun for me than my car right now since car shit is so expensive and i enjoy being healthy. Once im done with school in december and i get a real job then the car will take over, but til then who knows.

i know a lot about the body and working out, so ask questions and anything about lifting. I am a kinesiology study and been lifting for 6 years solid.

Antihero983
10-28-2007, 08:10 PM
honestly, i dont go to the gym to work out, but i do at least 60 to 120 situps a day, and since i work at a subie dealership, i do tire rotations alot, and subie wheels and tire are NOT light by any means, especially the Tribeca 18's.
i'm 6'3 230lbs, not jacked, but not bones either lol

my friend goes to the gym 6 days a week and i believe he has a schedule relatively close to the OP's

ever since i moved out on my own again, i just sit around and play Xbox and surf the net, so i had to start doing something active since i hurt my ankles again skateboarding.

10-28-2007, 08:27 PM
I bike, run, or row T Th Sat and Sun in the am.

Lift T Th Sat and Sun in the pm.

Thai box M W F.

brewster240
10-28-2007, 08:49 PM
i lift cheeseburgers to my mouth.

i tried going to the gym, but i dont know what the hell im doing.

but i do get excersise as a flat rate tech at a large busy dealership.

rps13drift
10-28-2007, 08:54 PM
I live in New Jersey. So I obviously get my grunt on in the gym, HGH and Muscle Milk is all I eat. I spike my hair up, get in the zone, and lift like my last name is Schwarzenegger. I want everyone to see how jacked and tan I am wherever I go.

Ha! I lol'd to this one! Pretty much defined 90% of males ages 18 to 25 in our lovely state! as for lifting weight all i have to say is fuck pec's Ive got tech's! j/k

SHIFT_Slide
10-28-2007, 11:04 PM
100% sure Steve Shadows is going to own this thread once he sees it. He could lift up NJ with his pinky finger.

wrapmeup2005
10-28-2007, 11:19 PM
I work out MWF, 500 calories on the bike and then an hour of lifting. On Sunday I try to go hiking up one of the mountains here if Im not working. I drink water only, might have the occasional one can of coke every week but thats it. Don't take any muscle builder supplements or anything I just try to eat healthy and keep on a good diet. Im 5'9" and sit at 160lbs.
Things I need improvement on: (and if anyone can suggest what I can do to get these things improved)
chest (build it bigger)
abs (get the bottoms defined and that little fat thats covering them away)
calves (ive got thick ones but I want more definition)
butt (i got a big butt from my mom lol, its comfortable but I wish it wasn't...as big?)
Any help on those would be great!
Are there any good natural supplements that anyone knows about?

wootwoot
10-28-2007, 11:29 PM
Can anyone give good advice for forearm/hand exercises? I know the basic things but my improvement has been low so I wanted some better advice maybe. Currently do wrist curls (holding onto a 15lb plate weight) and also the piece of wood with a rope attatched and weight attatched to that.....

I race go karts so its way important.

wrapmeup2005
10-28-2007, 11:41 PM
Get one of these...
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Hand-Finger-Grip-Padded-Exercise-Trainer-Fitness-NEW_W0QQitemZ120174878041QQihZ002QQcategoryZ28067Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Great for drummers too!!

BustedS13
10-28-2007, 11:44 PM
i used to bike hard core. there's a handful of awesome offroad trails around here. earlier this year i got back into road biking, but now it's cold and i'm a pussy, so i bought a cheap stationary bike that i ride for 40 minutes every other day. it's hard to cram exercise into your routine when you work 50 hours a week AND you're super lazy like me. stationary bike makes it incredibly easy, i just ride it before my nightly shower while watching tv.

yeah, that's not very serious. but if you live a sedentary lifestyle (i.e. office), it does worlds of good.

musikjunkie
10-29-2007, 12:40 AM
i go to the gym whenever i can or when im free. i was a fattie but i played sports all my life. so i was big but i could hang with the smaller boys and would eventually pass out. haah like 2 years ago is when i started getting into lifting and losing weight alot more. i always been fat. i topped out at 230 but now im down to 205 but still have lots to improve. still need lose the belly and work on the abs.

BOROSUN
10-29-2007, 05:18 AM
i used to be a fast ass mutha vertical leaping marvelous conditioned specimen rising to its peak but, i lost my drive since i got married.

its once in awhile for me, now. plus my left wrist injury keeps comin back
when i lift heavy weights.

super lazy powers activate

ManoNegra
10-29-2007, 09:36 AM
I used to be a gym rat for a bit but with me it was never about having 'mass' or being buff but rather to have endurance and wind - I played ultimate and soccer during college.
So smaller/medium size weights, lot of reps with little rest in between and lots or running. Swimming on occasion for a low-impact work out.
Now, mostly because of a bad back, I'm not as active as I'd like to. I hit the gym on occasion ~2 a week but it's mostly cardio. I also try to do some pilates here and there.

B18C5MK1
10-29-2007, 10:23 AM
i dont use weights per se, to work out. i usually just ride my bike on weekends and go skateboarding during the week. every other weekend a few friends and i get together for paddle surfing usually out of dana point harbor or newport harbor. paddle surfing is basically exactly what it sounds like, except we dont ride any waves (the haves arent usually good enough).

when we paddle surf, we'll start at either dana point (to san clemente pier and back) or newport (to laguna beach and back). not sure how far it is, but it still kills. its like kayaking only you stand up.

this is not me but just to give an idea:
http://www.noosafestivalofsurfing.com/photos/paddle_gecko.jpg

during the spring/summer we'll usually play footy (soccer) at parks here in irvine.

LongGrain
10-29-2007, 10:27 AM
i swim m, t, w, th, f, s (twice on mondays wednesdays and fridays)
lift mondays and wednesdays
run/dryland workouts on tuesdays and thursdays

i'm 5'11 155lbs

xcusememisswyn
10-29-2007, 10:44 AM
Theres so much cool physical activity outside of the gym that you guys do. Id like to get into something like paddle surfing or road cycling but money, and NJ weather dont really permit. Running a few miles isnt near as exciting as this stuff.

I mostly lift for mass, I've been skinny my whole life and I'm trying to change that a bit. I also want to get into MMA or boxing, just need to find a gym around here. Thats probably the only other physical activity that could really get me away from the gym. Kicking ass and getting beat up has to be fun haha.

BustedS13
10-29-2007, 11:19 AM
you can set yourself up with a decent roadbike for a couple hundred.... hell, my road bike is just an old mountain bike. i just swapped handlebars, converted it to single speed, and put some smooth tires on. tada, instant heavy duty road bike :D

Tops*
10-29-2007, 11:31 AM
DAMN IT, I was waiting for this thread!

I'm 6'0" 150lbs. with 7% body fat.
I started working out a year and 2 months ago when I got into college. I met a lot of good people at the gym and I have been learning a lot. I maxed out my flat bench at 185lbs. half a year ago. Since then I haven't had a chance to max out, but am hoping for 205lbs.
I eat like a sumo wrestler with a lot of protein, but I can't seem to gain any weight. If someone can help me out here, please do. I want to stay toned and be able to lift an above average amount of weight for my size. I don't want to be huge. It's like an SR and a V8. I want volumetric efficiency. I'd like to be around 165lbs.
I work out 5 days a week. Chest and triceps days and back and biceps days. I do abs and legs everyday. Hardcore leg workouts lately for upcoming snowboard season.
I don't do much cardio. I play tennis a couple days a week then snowboard just about everyday in the winter. I want to learn Muay Thai.
I will never take any supplements. 100% natural.

Tops*
10-29-2007, 11:58 AM
Things I need improvement on: (and if anyone can suggest what I can do to get these things improved)
chest (build it bigger)
What muscle? For chest, I do flat/incline/decline bench (bar/free weights) (3 sets of 10 reps), push-ups (3x20) (I use the hex-ended 10lbs. free weights to hold myself up), butterfly machine or free weight vertical butterfly on flat bench for pecs (3x10), and rope workouts.
abs (get the bottoms defined and that little fat thats covering them away)
For your bottom abs, do leg-ups (3x15). I do them, the crunch machine (4x25), and use the bar with the wheels attached to it (3x15). Sit-ups in a circle motion with a 25lbs. weight on decline bench (3x15). RUN!
calves (ive got thick ones but I want more definition)
Run up and down a flight of stairs with ankle weights.
butt (i got a big butt from my mom lol, its comfortable but I wish it wasn't...as big?)
I don't do butt workouts, sorry. Hope I was a lil' help.
Any help on those would be great!
Are there any good natural supplements that anyone knows about?

Can anyone give good advice for forearm/hand exercises?
I take the bench bar and do standing curls (don't know the technical term, but grasping the bar with your knuckles facing up) or sit down and use the easy bar and do the same curls. Clean and press...the clean part :bigok: I just do shit, don't know all the names.

I race go karts so its way important.

Messagelengthisabitch!

kousuke180sx
10-29-2007, 12:48 PM
I try to lift anywhere from 6-7 days a week. (just started up again after a 6 month lazy phase) I'm concentrating on chest, biceps, triceps, shoulders, and traps.

I do a decent amount of legs and abs doing Muay Thai on M,T,W,TH
and I run a few miles on Sat and Sun.

I'm just trying to get in shape, so far I've lost 42lbs and I've got 8 more to reach my goal. Also started to cut a lot of fast food and sodas out of my diet and I eat a lot healthier. Don't take any supplements either, I'm gonna try to do without those.

xcusememisswyn
10-29-2007, 12:58 PM
I take supplements. The basic Creatine and Nitric Oxide stuff, nothin serious, but they do help a lot. If you are natural, then you could be doing more, but then there may be other side effects that I face that you wont. lol such is life.

Especially for Tops* looking to gain mass, its gonna be hard to get everything you need without dipping a little into supplements. Not even creatine, but something like muscle milk, which adds another meal to your diet, and is all around healthy. I havent gained weight in the last 4 years, and only after I got serious and started on what I am taking now did I start to boost up.

Other than that, make sure you take a vitamin, and eat lots of carbs to go with the protien. I eat Pasta and bread like I'm a pure-blooded Italian.

Also try to do core exercises like bench/squat/deadlift.

And if your not struggling on your tenth rep, up the weight. You need to tear the muscles, if its not hard then your just burning fat.

wrapmeup2005
10-29-2007, 01:21 PM
Thanks Tops for the advice, too bad you don't have anything for the butt exercises lol. To gain weight eat more carbs like robbie said, pastas and bread.
Im with you on wanting to learn some kind of combative fighting, I just need to find out where.

Robbie, you probably already are aware but that creatine isn't that great for you, but like you said...such is life lol. Meats and fish, fish being the number one has creatine in it....just nowhere near as much as you are taking.

Another thing, my whole family kind of went natural as far as food when my dad had his heartattack and my mom bought a book called "Eat 4 your blood type" which is pretty good. Theres somethings that you shouldn't be eating because you just can't digest it. Check it out if you get a chance, for instance... everyone says wheat bread is healthy but thats not true for type B (which I am), can't digest it :down:

xcusememisswyn
10-29-2007, 01:49 PM
Im with you on wanting to learn some kind of combative fighting, I just need to find out where.

Robbie, you probably already are aware but that creatine isn't that great for you, but like you said...such is life lol. Meats and fish, fish being the number one has creatine in it....just nowhere near as much as you are taking.

It isnt that great for you, but it isnt BAD if you drink enough water and put it too use. A lot of the scare stories from HS arent really true, and drinking too much gatorade can cause kidney problems just as creatine can. I drink nothing but water, and at least 128ozs a day, so I take all the precautionary steps I can to cover it.

Theres far worse things I could be doing so I dont worry about it, I hate when people tell me not to take creatine but they eat fast food and smoke cigs everyday. Are you kidding me? Which is really worse in the long run, fast food and no physical activity or creatine and tons or activity?

And combative fighting would be sick. Ive been playing fight night all day, I want to go box haha. I have a heavy bag in my basement and its good for a cardio exercise, but its not anything like the real thing I'm sure.

Tops*
10-29-2007, 02:52 PM
I took Choi-Kwan-Do (Korean) when I was younger. I got to black belt, but it was only self defense. I hated it by the time I quit, it was boring and repetitive.
I saw a show on the history channel about Muay Thai and I was hooked from then on. I've searched for places that teach the art around my area, but haven't had any luck. Someday...

Back to supplements though, I have heard from a friend of mine about a supplement that slows the metabolism. Is there such a supplement?

On the Aussie Silvia forums <nissansilvia.com> there's a topic specially made for body building. It's pretty hardcore over there. They post pics of their bodies and everything too. I felt a lil' :ghey:

-Yuta

xcusememisswyn
10-29-2007, 03:12 PM
Enjoy your fast metabolism while you can, because its gonna slow down eventually. I just try to eat to make up with it, never get hungry, and never be full. Snacks and things like muscle milk will help with a meal and keep a lot of good carbs and calories in your diet.

And im too white for bod shots, although if I ever made a journal I'd do it just to track my progress.

IIIXziuR
10-29-2007, 03:30 PM
Its good to see a lot of peepz on here are into staying fit. I usually attend the gym in the A.M. on a Monday though Friday basis. But, as the weather has been getting colder I have been getting lazier haha. I need to get my ass back in there and stay focused so I can start winter training and mass building.

I Just want to hit like 210-215lbs and I would be happy. I'm at 195-200lbs right now......then I need a bronze tan and spiked hair "Jersey Style"

eastcoastS14
10-29-2007, 03:48 PM
if you guys want to gain size or weight you should be lifting heavy and taking days off....going to the gym every day doesnt give the muscles enough time to heal so alternating exercises is key....you should also be eating a lot of protein....I used to work out and eat a lot of steak, chicken, eggs all that and drink wey protein from GNC....its straight protein none roids or any of that shit so its safe...also make sure you alternate muscle groups....if you are doing chest and benching (a pushing exercise) you should do seated rows after(a pulling exercise)...also If you wanna get big the best exercises are squats, dips, chin ups and pushups

xcusememisswyn
10-29-2007, 03:53 PM
Yah, I give my muscles a week to heal.

And if you want to gain mass and workout, but dont have the time.....

Do three sets of bench, 10 reps, 7 reps, 7 reps, repeat with deadlift, repeat with squat. Take two days off then repeat the whole thing.

You will gain mass quickly considering how little you workout, since it only takes about 15 minutes. Just make sure you push yourself, form and motivation are the key.

BOROSUN
10-29-2007, 04:08 PM
i still drink my protein drink even when i dont do much. lifting weight causes microtears and glycogen lost so supplements helps a lot and recover quicker.

having no cardio sucks balls. better build up that lung if you want to fight.

ManoNegra
10-29-2007, 04:11 PM
http://www.crab.rutgers.edu/~alroche/3beefcake.gif

I need to get my butt back in the gym...

edit:
+1 on the cardio. I rather be able to last a soccer match without getting winded than looking like Mr. Olympia.

vincem
10-29-2007, 04:33 PM
i work out every other day, if i'm not busy with school or the gf doesn't get in the way. i don't take any supplements, i just try to eat healthy and avoid junk food as much as possible. i'm 5'11" and weigh 190, used to weigh 200 before school got in the way.

steve shadows
10-29-2007, 05:07 PM
I lift twice a week

ive kept pretty good maintenence with 275 on the bench for 10 reps

I weigh 190 give or take and am 6 1'

dont drink soda or eat cheese you will get lean

want to get big?

eat more protien, only use free weights its that simple

Tops*
10-30-2007, 12:22 AM
^ Boss.

I want to get my weight up to 165 and bench 225. I'm going to head over to GNC tomorrow and see about picking up some protein drink mixes.

I saw two guys at the gym doing a different flat bench work out. They had 225 on the bar and were doing reps by only lifting the bar off the rack. Another was doing regular bench reps with more than their max weight and having the spotter help pull the bar up. What do these work outs accomplish?

Also, I have trouble getting 70+ free weights up initially, but can do 10 reps. So my shoulders need more work, right? I don't do too many shoulder specific work outs. What more should I do?

-Yuta

eastcoastS14
10-30-2007, 12:35 AM
lol it means those guys are fuckin weak.....the idea of having someone spot you on the most difficult rep is to push you over the threshold....that last rep where you are struggling is really the best one....have someone spot you and do one more rep than you can do on your own itll help you get your weight up....if you wanna get ur arms big forget about biceps for a while....biceps are only two muscles and really just there for looks.....work on your tri's and shoulders a lot and mix some biceps in there....get wey protein from GNC....none of that muscle milk shit, and hit up http://www.menshealth.com/cda/homepage.do and check out their fitness section if you are cluless of what to do in the gym....spend around an hour to an hour and a half in the gym rest 30seconds between sets....and you should be good

Tops*
10-30-2007, 12:52 AM
lol it means those guys are fuckin weak.....

:cry:

Fuck you, eh? ^_^

I'll get to work. Thanks for the recommendation.

I see Takeru Kobayashi every year at Nathan's hot dog eating contest. He got so big in one year, like a body builder. Gave me hope that it's possible for Japanese people to get that big :bow:

steve shadows
10-30-2007, 10:51 AM
I dont use a spotter.

I figure if I cant finish it then i have no mind over matter.

I know my limit and can feel when I am about to fail.

even if im struggling to get the bitch all the way up on the last rep I usually make it without any spotter.

If they are doing that^ then they shoudl go down to a lower wieght and learn how to perform the excercise properly with less wieght before trying to look like gym kings.

Its funny becasuse I just look like a normal guy with bigger than average arms, but im stronger than half the roided up 230 lb guys in there easy.

Its all inflated bullshti.

I go for strength, I respect the big dudes but I just go to stay strong for the sake of self defense etc.

Vision Garage
10-30-2007, 11:00 AM
Haha.

I try to work out about 4 times a week. Usually with a friend to keep me motivated. There for about 1-1/2 hours to 3. Usually do chest/abs, shoulders, back/abs, arms. If i have an extra day i do legs/abs.

5'6" 185.

I can do 245 for 10 reps but thats pushing myself. :) Mostly working on getting cut up for now!

LongGrain
10-30-2007, 11:00 AM
^ Boss.

I want to get my weight up to 165 and bench 225. I'm going to head over to GNC tomorrow and see about picking up some protein drink mixes.

I saw two guys at the gym doing a different flat bench work out. They had 225 on the bar and were doing reps by only lifting the bar off the rack. Another was doing regular bench reps with more than their max weight and having the spotter help pull the bar up. What do these work outs accomplish?

Also, I have trouble getting 70+ free weights up initially, but can do 10 reps. So my shoulders need more work, right? I don't do too many shoulder specific work outs. What more should I do?

-Yuta

having someone help you lift a huge weight fuckin TEARS up your muscles, when you are pushing your hardest the entire time after your muscles are already too tired to push it up. the key is that your partner isnt actually picking up the weight, their really just not letting it fall on you. trust me, this is an excellent way to gain mass and strength. we never did that for a whole set, but if we were doing sets of ten or what not and couldnt get them all up, we had to keep going with a spotter and it hurts a lot.

not sure if that made any sense.

steve shadows
10-30-2007, 11:05 AM
no...

muscle fibers tear on the negative portion of the stroke.

not the push up.

Using a spotter for every rep will help you lift x weight but if he didnt exist you would not be strong enough to lift it.

SHIFT_Slide
10-30-2007, 11:58 AM
LMFAO what did I say?
Steve has got to stay strong just in case when hes half way in his engine bay putting his face next to his turbo flexing his arms while taking a new avatar/MySpace picture, no one can possibly beat him up...

Jung918
10-30-2007, 12:51 PM
when I was big into working out I woul go 6 times a week. chest/tri, back/bi, and leg/shoulder. I would throw in abs whenever I felt like it but atleast twice a week. Stopped eating candy, soda, pork, and some other stuff. I used to also take protein and other stuff. I still have a stash of pills that just sits there including a cycle of superdrol. I am 5'11'' and weighted around 200. I was going for bulk.

steve shadows
10-30-2007, 01:13 PM
twice a week thats all you need

I do my whole body in one work out in 1 hour and 30 minutes

I had a friend who seperates body parts he doesnt smoke, and takes nice 1-2 min rests between sets.

I do 60-80 reps per body part.

he threw up half way through my work out.

I also drink like a whore smoke when i drink, eat semi-ok but not great dont use any gay ass snake oil suppliments etc.

I guess its just hereditary then at that point.

But overtraining is the biggest reason people who ARENT ON STEROIDS dont gain real muscle or strength.

most of the muscle mags cater to steroid users

Your body needs about 60 hours to fully recover from a severe work out, about 48 hours from a maintenece work out to recover the body glocogen stores and ATP transfer in the muscle tissue. It only takes a couple hours to relieve the lactic acid burnup. Creatine is supposed to help with lactic acid as well as hydration of muscle tissue and ATP transfer but be a man fuck supplements save your money.

You dont need to spend every day in the gym staring and mens steamy asses. I used to work out every other day in the gym in HS and was a little stonger than I am now but my priorities were different I was planning on gonig USAF and doing Combat Controller school, now I want to be a lawyer or a consultant. things change find out why your working out and how far you want to go.

You can always shoot someone if they try to break into your house you dont have to be the hulk

you need heavy shcok with the right weight to exert stress on the tissue and tear the fibers and then you need a decent level of protien floating around in your body for rebuilding the torn tissue with stronger beffier fibers so your body can handle it next time.

Think about your work out like war

In old time when we were warriors we would have battles for weeks at a time, then nothing for months.

your muscles are dependent a lot on geneology as well.

im ukrainian and sicilian (they beat the spartans when greece had civil war)

It doesnt take much< I just lug around some free wieghts twice a week and train with a bag and a training partener during the summer so I don't forget my Kenpo.

What if suppliments diapeared tomorrow

mRclARK1
10-30-2007, 02:01 PM
Basically what steve shadows does for weight lifting is what I do for running... or used too. I can't believe I had a close to sub 4 mile time at one point in my life. haha.

I go to the gym and keep in good shape. I really want to get back to what I was though.

I still keep up with different combatives (read: not marital arts) though, and teach some on the side when I got time too friends. Love sparring with friends... I take out my stress on them. haha

EDIT: For the record: 6'1.5"-6'2" (on a good day. haha) and 170lbs.

LongGrain
10-30-2007, 02:07 PM
its all dependent on what you are trying to achieve with lifting

i dont lift to get huge, i'm also not allowed to have my own workout. i have to do the workout that our team trainer gives me. i also dont lift to stay in shape, swimming 8-10,000 yards every day takes care of that.

steve shadows
10-30-2007, 02:45 PM
its all dependent on what you are trying to achieve with lifting

i dont lift to get huge, i'm also not allowed to have my own workout. i have to do the workout that our team trainer gives me. i also dont lift to stay in shape, swimming 8-10,000 yards every day takes care of that.

yeah but looking back I almost wish I had done more team sports and followed those types of regiments so working out became more of required haha.

i guess its good its a weekly habbit for me now though

xcusememisswyn
10-30-2007, 02:48 PM
I feel shitty if I dont go everyday. I could achieve almost the same results in two days a week, but I would be a bum the other five. Working out 6 days a week gets each muscle group more work and keeps me from being a bum.

turtl631
10-30-2007, 03:09 PM
I go 3-5 times a week, depends on my school schedule. I just use it as stress relief mostly, to keep me sane, sleep better, and be fairly strong for my size. I usually do a little cardio and then lift for half of my body- I'll do legs/abs one day and chest/back/arms the next time I go. In college I'd go and do it all at once, but grad school is a lot more work and I need the escape the gym provides more regularly than twice a week.

I'm 5'11" 160 lbs. and pretty balanced in terms of strength and endurance. We had a bench competition in one of my college PE classes and since it was based on weight lifted/body weight ratio, I almost won and pissed off all the meatheads. Ended up with second, eh, first loser.

I tend to think all the supplement stuff is marketing BS. We get more than enough protein in our diets to sustain reasonable muscle growth, and besides, that stuff's expensive. People act like they know so much about muscle growth, which is hilarious to me because the physiology of muscle hypertrophy is actually pretty poorly defined at this point. Protein in + good workouts that actually fatigue your muscles = win.

LongGrain
10-30-2007, 03:13 PM
yeah but looking back I almost wish I had done more team sports and followed those types of regiments so working out became more of required haha.

i guess its good its a weekly habbit for me now though

ehh, its a lot of work tho. we work out bout 20 hours a week. and then is till have class and all that stuff. not a lot of time to get work done. but oh well, and i'm just a freshman lol. got a long way to go.

WERDdabuilder
10-31-2007, 03:57 AM
been working out for little under 2 years now.
started when i was like 125lbs and now im at 150lbs. gained 10 of that 150lbs last month within a month.

if anyone thinks they cant gain weight...trust. anyone can. i thought i couldnt gain weight for shit but i just ate ate ate. in-n-out 5x5 are your best friends.

work out 3-4 days a week.
i change my workout plan once a month.

i use to take kre-alkalyn and i felt a huge difference in everything.
been off sups for couple months now.

rarely have a spotter since i dont really max out for the most part. but yeah, having a spotter help somewhat on the last rep helps in building. thats probably when your muscle work out most. do it till fail.

p.s. LA fitness weights are lighter than ballys.