PDA

View Full Version : A kid survives a 2-hour flight holding on to the wings

EvilRB
10-25-2007, 07:17 AM
A 15-year-old boy from the Urals suffered acute frostbite after riding the wing of a Boeing-737 plane on a two-hour flight from Perm to Moscow, Russian radio station Mayak reported on Monday.

After clinging on for the entire 1300-kilometer (808-mile) flight to Vnukova Airport, the boy, named Andrei, collapsed onto the tarmac. His arms and legs were so severely frozen that rescuers were at first unable to remove his coat and shoes, the radio station said.

The airport did not confirm the report. "We have no information on this," the Vnukovo press service told RIA Novosti.

However, Moscow's air and water transport control department said the radio's claim was true. A department spokesman said the incident occurred on Friday, and that the boy's parents were immediately informed, and flew to the capital the same day.

Doctors said it was nothing short of a miracle that Andrei survived the flight, with temperatures hitting minus 50 degrees Celsius (-58 Fahrenheit), the radio station said. The Boeing-737 has a cruising speed of 900 kmh (560 mph).

The boy reportedly made the journey after a commonplace domestic dispute. Angry with his father, who reportedly has a drinking problem, and with his mother for siding with her husband in family rows, Andrei ran away to the neighboring village, where his grandmother lives. On reaching the village, he decided to go on, and hitched a 220-km (137-mile) ride to the regional center, Perm, where he was dropped off at the airport.

It remains unclear how Andrei was able to climb on a plane wing un-noticed, and the Perm Airport security service is being asked some serious questions, the radio station said.

Andrei is now being treated in a Moscow hospital, Radio Mayak said.

link: http://www.newsique.com/odd/boy_surv...ur_flight_to_/

farazshah
10-25-2007, 07:26 AM
Highly unlikely as there would be little oxygen for one to survive at cruising altitude. The air is too thin at much lower altitudes. Not to mention the temperature, or the force being put on a body at those speeds.

Crock of shit!

exitspeed
10-25-2007, 07:49 AM
Yea, I don't believe that story.

Especially if he was so severely frost bitten he wouldn't have been able to hold on that long.

Long live the internet!

supad0rk
10-25-2007, 08:21 AM
It got a 10% credible rating.... but I'm sure none of us believed the story of the drunk guy who fell int he lake and lasted underwater for fifteen minutes or something ungodly like that.

I'm sure that this kid evaded security, climbed up to the wing (which no one bothered to look at), travel 1300 km at -53ºC at 900 kmh... I'd say that it was because of grandma's cookies... but he failed to stop there after the lil hitchhike.

He should get an award for determination and someone should feel bad for not stopping a 15 year old hitch hiking for 137 miles.

jrmiller84
10-25-2007, 08:21 AM
They do hurricane tests here at the university and you can barely stand up in 100 mph wind.

You'd be slung off the wing well before you hit the cruising speed of 500 mph. Not to mention that there's almost nothing to grip onto on an airplane wing.

RJF
10-25-2007, 08:22 AM
If it is true and he did survive....he's not human. Because he would have died fairly quickly from lack of oxygen once the plane reached altitude.

:bs:

OurOnePassion
10-25-2007, 08:43 AM
Someone in Heaven dared Jesus to come back as a little Russian kid and do this.

What the news report left out, is that he had to walk across water to get to his grandmother's. Then it would be toooo obvious.

Antihero983
10-25-2007, 08:45 AM
mythbusters will be doing doing this at some point im sure :keke:

SiI40sx
10-25-2007, 10:07 AM
Someone in Heaven dared Jesus to come back as a little Russian kid and do this.

What the news report left out, is that he had to walk across water to get to his grandmother's. Then it would be toooo obvious.

lol that is SO a family guy scene.....

God: "wh what naaah nahhh you can can't do it......"

Jesus: "Wh what? OF course man! of course! watch me, watch me"

God: "Ok okay go for it"

Jesus: (gets on the plane)

God: "Haha Holy crap he's doing it!!"

wootwoot
10-25-2007, 10:29 AM
mythbusters will be doing doing this at some point im sure :keke:

Buster's last ride.

Vision Garage
10-25-2007, 10:31 AM
maybe it was so cold his arms locked him in place on the airplane. and when he landed, the heat brought him back to life.

StaticX27
10-25-2007, 10:42 AM
In Soviet Russia, the plane rides you!

jackjack
10-25-2007, 10:46 AM
no way................

lol at the family guy scene.

Ninjabread
10-25-2007, 10:51 AM
yay for internet news.

I want to ride an airplane's wing.

DUFFM4N
10-25-2007, 11:34 AM
story seems VERY unlikely...i call BS as well

the jesus/god family guy thing reminded me of this

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fG_jq7nYpis

B18C5MK1
10-25-2007, 11:50 AM
article is misleading, a different article says the kid stowed away in one of the wheel wells, he didnt actually hang onto the plane.

this sounds a little more viable:

SOURCE (http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2007/09/25/013.html)
A 15-year-old boy is recovering with severe frostbite after hiding in the wheel well of a plane flying from Perm to Moscow, Tvoi Den reported Monday.

The boy, identified only as Andrei, fell from the plane after it landed in Moscow. He was hospitalized with severe frostbite to his feet and hands. The newspaper printed pictures of him in a Moscow hospital bed with one hand heavily bandaged...

steve shadows
10-25-2007, 11:59 AM
If it is true and he did survive....he's not human. Because he would have died fairly quickly from lack of oxygen once the plane reached altitude.

:bs:

this is true from what Ive seen I think the AP even ran a story, I saw this on freshalloy Off Topic like a week ago.

and it was the wheel well which could be mis constrewed as the outer edge of the fuselage where it meets the inner wing

Slavs are bullet proof :bow:

supad0rk
10-25-2007, 12:33 PM
Yes, that would make a bit more sense. Chances are someone messed with the title or article after hearing it from one guy saying "Hey did you hear about the kid who survived hanging on to an airplane?!"... suddenly he went from hiding in the wheel well... to hanging onto the wing. They must have been watching an episode of the Twilight Zone while reading.

240_whore
10-25-2007, 12:45 PM
Interesting but can't be true.

SOMEONE would have noticed him and they would have done SOMETHING to get him off, such as land on a closer runway or ... SOMETHING.

And a -50 degree temperature at 560mph? He'd be the world's coldest popsicle after ten minutes of that. Then the 560mph winds would have shattered him into oblivion.

jrmiller84
10-25-2007, 12:52 PM
What Steve said sounds more legit. I saw a report on tv once where I think a cat/dog got in there somehow and it survived.

It was definitely oxygen deprived when it came out though, but none the less alive.

EvilRB
10-25-2007, 03:21 PM
I was following the source links to find more stories of this flight and came across this.

Boy survives two-hour flight to Moscow inside plane wing
20:56 | 24/ 09/ 2007

MOSCOW, September 24 (RIA Novosti) - A 15-year-old boy from the Urals suffered acute frostbite after hiding inside the wing of a Boeing-737 plane on a two-hour flight from Perm to Moscow, Russian radio station Mayak reported on Monday.

After braving the entire 1300-kilometer (808-mile) flight to Vnukovo Airport, the boy, named Andrei, collapsed onto the tarmac. His arms and legs were so severely frozen that rescuers were at first unable to remove his coat and shoes, the radio station said.

The airport did not confirm the report. "We have no information on this," the Vnukovo press service told RIA Novosti.

However, Moscow's air and water transport control department said the radio's claim was true. A department spokesman said the incident occurred on Friday, and that the boy's parents were immediately informed, and flew to the capital the same day.

Doctors said it was nothing short of a miracle that Andrei survived the flight, with temperatures hitting minus 50 degrees Celsius (-58 Fahrenheit), the radio station said. The Boeing-737 has a cruising speed of 900 kmh (560 mph).

The boy reportedly made the journey after a commonplace domestic dispute. Angry with his father, who reportedly has a drinking problem, and with his mother for siding with her husband in family rows, Andrei ran away to the neighboring village, where his grandmother lives. On reaching the village, he decided to go on, and hitched a 220-km (137-mile) ride to the regional center, Perm, where he was dropped off at the airport.

It remains unclear how Andrei was able to climb on a plane wing un-noticed, and the Perm Airport security service is being asked some serious questions, the radio station said.

Andrei is now being treated in a Moscow hospital, Radio Mayak said.

Source: http://www.en.rian.ru/russia/20070924/80694850.html

I think someone just editted the story to make it sound more exciting or something??

azndoc
10-25-2007, 03:46 PM
Them Russian dudes are no joke.

Some heads are going to roll at that airport security.

Andrew Bohan
10-25-2007, 03:49 PM
it could happen. he could grab onto where the flaps come out. then when he got frozen it hardened his grip and slowed down his breathing enough for him to survive.

or not.

steve shadows
10-25-2007, 03:52 PM
no

--------------

ronmcdon
10-25-2007, 07:54 PM
entertaining, but not even remotely plausible.

DOOK
10-25-2007, 07:59 PM
I once flew from Pittsburgh to St Louis... no plane... me... I did... and all you guys saying he would die of lack of oxygen apparently never saw superman... duh... it's real

SimpleS14
10-25-2007, 08:06 PM
mmmm Russian beauties.....

anyways I can't believe the story, just where can you hide in a wing? if there is such a place, how can you not get noticed?

steve shadows
10-25-2007, 08:08 PM
in L'viv they all walk around holding hands and kissing each other in high heals like its just normal- the young ukrainian girls that is.

or so im told

cough but yeah hes dead

Farzam
10-26-2007, 06:24 PM
Yea, I don't believe that story.

Especially if he was so severely frost bitten he wouldn't have been able to hold on that long.

Long live the internet!

Maybe he was stuck to the airplane?

Like.

By ice.

NOt really but that'd be funny to imagine. Some stupid kid screaming and crying.

614duece40
10-26-2007, 09:29 PM
hell i could have done it 3 hours haha.

Agamemnon
10-26-2007, 10:17 PM
I was under the impression that there isnt enough room in an airplane wheel well to house a person. Maybe a cat or small dog, but not a human.

adrians_s13
10-26-2007, 10:36 PM
i call bull shit!

that is all

iAMprojekt
10-26-2007, 10:52 PM
it seems impossible... do the math....

808 miles... (800 for math sake) in 2 hours... = 400mph.

now.... kid holding onto wing of plane + 400mph + probably little to no oxygen in the air + freezing temperatures... = bullshit. :)

HalveBlue
10-26-2007, 11:47 PM
I was under the impression that there isnt enough room in an airplane wheel well to house a person. Maybe a cat or small dog, but not a human.

I don't believe the wing story, but this isn't the first time I've heard of stoways on an aircraft hiding in the wheel wells.

Although most of the people tend to get crushed when they hide there. :Ownedd:

illvialuver
10-27-2007, 12:15 AM
wow so that sounds like the biggest pile of bs ive heard, his fingers were able to hold him to the plane wing and survive the freezing and lack of air?
i think this has gotta be a drinking story gone wrong.