View Full Version : No Heat!!!

s14unimog
10-24-2007, 12:12 PM
So I've had my SR in my s14 for about a year now and it seems that my heat has stopped working. I parked the car on a hill and bleed the cooling system. I disconnected the return from the heater core and watched water come out, so I know there isn't a clog or stuck valve. As far as the heater hose routing goes, I have the lower firewall connection point going to the intake manifold and the upper going to the turbo. My car is an OBDII chassis and doesn't have the valve on the heater line in the engine bay that my buddies '95 has.

So to be absolutely clear, no matter where I slide the temperature setting it only blows cold (outside air basically).

Thoughts?

EATthis
10-24-2007, 01:55 PM
Blend door prob stuck or fubared.

s14unimog
10-24-2007, 01:58 PM
is there a way to tell if its working, like a motor I can watch turn a valve or something?

D1GP
10-24-2007, 01:59 PM
Try replacing the thermostat and make sure that your coolant overflow tank is not cracked.

s14unimog
10-24-2007, 02:08 PM
Try replacing the thermostat and make sure that your coolant overflow tank is not cracked.

As in the mechanical thermostat for the motor? I fail to see how that has anything to do with it? The car will run fine and not over heat. Besides its working, I've felt the lower line on the radiator.

Also the coolent overflow is not cracked and IS holding "MAX" coolent/water

any other idea's?

D1GP
10-24-2007, 02:13 PM
As in the mechanical thermostat for the motor? I fail to see how that has anything to do with it? The car will run fine and not over heat. Besides its working, I've felt the lower line on the radiator.

Also the coolent overflow is not cracked and IS holding "MAX" coolent/water

any other idea's?

a thermostat that is stuck open will not allow your coolant to get to adequate operating temps which will in turn keep your temps cool and your heater cold.

MavericStephenc
10-24-2007, 02:19 PM
try the thermo, also the heater core might be junk. that happened to me when i had a bravada back in the day, the heat randomly stopped working one day and i didn't know what happened, low and behold it was the heater core

s14unimog
10-24-2007, 02:29 PM
I guess there is no harm in looking at it but I'm pretty sure the thermo is ok. The car will warm up fine and settle at operating temperature. Also the lower Radiator line will stay cold until the temp levels out in my cluster. When you say the heater core might be junk....what do you mean? Its not leaking and I can run water thru it without a problem.

MavericStephenc
10-24-2007, 02:37 PM
I don't know how it goes bad, I do know that when i replaced my the heat was fine again.whenI say junk i mean not working to it's full potential.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heater_core more info here

projectRDM
10-24-2007, 02:41 PM
It's more likely the blend door motor. Go under the dash, look straight up by the gas pedal, there's two motors on the side of the heater case. The lower one closest to the firewall is the one you want to check, there's a plastic cover on the bottom, remove it, then turn the key on and slide the temp control back and forth. If it moves freely and fully without binding, you have another problem. If it binds up or doesn't move, replace it.

I have about thirty of them if you need one.

s14unimog
10-24-2007, 02:59 PM
thats the response I was looking for, Thanks Russ!

we might be in touch

EATthis
10-24-2007, 11:56 PM
Yeah sorry i never got back to your pretty much what he said....