PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass / ABS Interior Replicas!!!

dued
10-23-2007, 12:32 PM
I was thinking of a low cost solution for new interior panels, why doesn't somebody make pre-colored fiberglass or abs plastic replicas? And sell a full interior for the price of a body kit ($500). I don't have the money to make molds, but if a body kit company takes notice that we want nice interiors at a reasonable cost, than they could put forth the research for us 240sx owners.

Do any of you guys know people in the body kit industry? If so, could you please contact them to see if this is possible?

MavericStephenc
10-23-2007, 12:43 PM
origin labs makes carbon/frp door panels and for the s13 they have a rearseat insert.

kognition design has various carbon dash pieces.

and some company has carbon sun visors for various nissan's and what not

also you could go get your dash covered in some fuzzy animal print, or fo-suede, follow that with the center consol re-wrap the glove box and do a headliner.

or search custom interiors

B Love
10-23-2007, 12:50 PM
That would be pretty cool. you would just have to convince a company that it is ost effective and that they will make money off it.

MavericStephenc
10-23-2007, 12:53 PM
That would be pretty cool. you would just have to convince a company that it is ost effective and that they will make money off it.

I don't think companies would buy dashes wrap them then sell em' that is more of a suggestion because his dash might me beat and its a not that expensive fix

StaticX27
10-23-2007, 01:01 PM
Personally I think having certain pieces remade in something stronger than ABS plastic would be nice, as a complete piece. How many radio trims have you guys gone through in the past year since it was made out of sissy plastic? Hmmmmmmm?

MURPHY
10-23-2007, 01:04 PM

have some more finesse

B Love
I don't think companies would buy dashes wrap them then sell em' that is more of a suggestion because his dash might me beat and its a not that expensive fix

I dont either thats why I diddnt say that. I was refering to companies making frp interior panels.

KA24DESOneThree
FG or ABS replicas would be fairly heavy if they followed stock shape.

Flat door panels without provisions for power anything would be very light, and aluminum would be even lighter.

No one wants replicas if they don't either A. look great or B. weigh much less than stock.

MavericStephenc
10-23-2007, 01:08 PM
I dont either thats why I diddnt say that. I was refering to companies making frp interior panels.

origin labs, just no dash and center console
http://www.origin-lab.com/index.php?section=other&sub=rearcover
http://www.origin-lab.com/index.php?section=other&sub=carbondoor

upSLIDEdown
10-23-2007, 01:13 PM
or fo-suede

Sorry, I LOLed. :keke:

How many radio trims have you guys gone through in the past year since it was made out of sissy plastic? Hmmmmmmm?

Never broken the one that was in my car the day I got it 7 years ago. Like Murphy said, use a little more finesse.

MavericStephenc
10-23-2007, 01:15 PM
Sorry, I LOLed. :keke:

I couldn't think of any other way to type it. I LOLed too

upSLIDEdown
10-23-2007, 01:19 PM
I couldn't think of any other way to type it. I LOLed too

For future reference, it's faux. ;-)

MavericStephenc
10-23-2007, 01:21 PM
i was gunna type pho so i think i did alright

thanks though

upSLIDEdown
10-23-2007, 01:26 PM
i was gunna type pho so i think i did alright

thanks though

LOL, no problem. I just thought it was funny.

StaticX27
10-23-2007, 01:36 PM
Never broken the one that was in my car the day I got it 7 years ago. Like Murphy said, use a little more finesse.

My car actually came broken and I've been too cheap to buy a new one, so I don't know.... But I have talked to people who go through 1 a month for some reason or another *shrug*

sileighty83
10-23-2007, 01:53 PM
Try D-Max...they make FRP paintable door pannels, a little harder to get then origin but cheaper then carbon fiber and you can paint it easier.

firelizard
10-23-2007, 03:10 PM
Low cost solution to interior panels?

Too much weight?
Take them out.

Want to look pretty?
Leave them in

Want low weight and looking pretty?
Save up.

Touge_Monster
10-23-2007, 03:25 PM
The orgin rear peices are so sick. It is a lot of money to pay for something that just looks cool though.

ThatGuy
10-23-2007, 03:28 PM
The orgin rear peices are so sick. It is a lot of money to pay for something that just looks cool though.

Then they wouldn't look "sick".

They would look like cheap, knock-off crap.

drift freaq
10-23-2007, 04:22 PM
Low cost solution to interior panels?

Too much weight?
Take them out.

Want to look pretty?
Leave them in

Want low weight and looking pretty?
Save up.

man you guys. The interior panels are not heavy at all. If any of you ever looked at most the cars in Japan they pretty much retain the whole forward portion of their interior in stock trim. You want better door panels? Do the inserts in suede like I am doing on my car. I am not fooling myself like some of you. Fact is unless your car is strictly a road race,auto cross,time attack or Formula D or D1 car stripping the interior is lame. In fact its fanboy. If its a purpose built track only machine go for it. If you drive it on the street at all, well you just made your car very noisy. Yup I am going off. Why? I see this I just stripped my interior and removed all the sound deadening posts every other week and 95% percent of them are never going to see enough track time for it to matter. In fact with a drift car it does not really matter you don't save enough weight to change how your car performs drifting.
There I said it. Call me an SOB for it. LOL

Antihero983
10-23-2007, 06:15 PM
fo-suede

ugh steven you idiot, its FAUX! not Fo.

gosh! idiot!

lol....

i wish i could afford the door panels....

projectRDM
10-23-2007, 06:46 PM
I don't even understand the point here at all. What's wrong with the OE pieces? Why replace them at all?

The carbon stuff for door or rear overlays are fine for a track car to hide the sheetmetal, but there's no reason otherwise to replace what's already in the car unless it's damaged or missing, and then you just buy used parts from any number of people parting out cars. The OE interior panels are fine, look fine, and hold up fine, unless you're throwing bricks in the backseat. And if they're roughed up, a can of SEM brings it back new within minutes.

sideview_180sx
10-23-2007, 07:07 PM
faux suede on the dash. is also known as suede flocking. most track-oriented cars have this on the dash to reduce glare. IMO i think all s-chassis should have this done. It adds to the improved look to the interior, and provides a very good function of reducing visibility obstacles while driving.

chuy
10-23-2007, 08:23 PM
origin labs makes carbon/frp door panels and for the s13 they have a rearseat insert.

kognition design has various carbon dash pieces.

and some company has carbon sun visors for various nissan's and what not

also you could go get your dash covered in some fuzzy animal print, or fo-suede, follow that with the center consol re-wrap the glove box and do a headliner.

or search custom interiors

Kognition does sunroofs also

dued
10-23-2007, 10:12 PM
I don't even understand the point here at all. What's wrong with the OE pieces? Why replace them at all?

The carbon stuff for door or rear overlays are fine for a track car to hide the sheetmetal, but there's no reason otherwise to replace what's already in the car unless it's damaged or missing, and then you just buy used parts from any number of people parting out cars. The OE interior panels are fine, look fine, and hold up fine, unless you're throwing bricks in the backseat. And if they're roughed up, a can of SEM brings it back new within minutes.

I should clarify my intent. The main reason I started this thread was to start an interest in OEM interior panel replicas. The reason I would like to see companies make replicas, is due to the cost of new OEM pieces. A new s14 dash costs $800 alone. The main reason for replacing these pieces is due to cracked dashes, scuffed up center consoles and glove boxes, and door panels with holes in them!

dued
10-24-2007, 06:06 PM
:2f2f:

Good news for s13 owners. Coverlay has created an abs dash cover for your dash. Here is the link : Coverlay Dash Cover.

(http://www.coverlaymfg.com/index.php?crn=217&rn=497&action=show_detail)Here is a thread showing an install and pics of the final results: NicoClub (http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/243168)

ayuaddict
10-24-2007, 06:43 PM
i suppose it looks cool.

too bad a black uncracked dash at a junkyard is $20-$40.

i've sold a couple black dashes for $100

which is still less than that coverlay thing.

brndck
10-24-2007, 07:18 PM
they don't have pink, therefore i do not care. lol. i think its kinda cool that you can get non factory colors, but then it'd clash with all the other interior stuff. i've def never seen a dark green or maroon s13 dash. all in all, too pricey for me. imho suede rewrap is both the most functional (for killing glare) and attractive of the options.

nevaland9
10-25-2007, 09:31 AM
:2f2f:

Good news for s13 owners. Coverlay has created an abs dash cover for your dash. Here is the link : Coverlay Dash Cover.

(http://www.coverlaymfg.com/index.php?crn=217&rn=497&action=show_detail)Here is a thread showing an install and pics of the final results: NicoClub (http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/243168)

no purp? :eek2: