PDA

View Full Version : how to drive to conserve gas?

maxgohan
10-15-2007, 02:58 PM
what kind of tips do you guys recommend interms of driving style to minimize gas usage

basics include not going into boost, keeping a light trunk (less weight)

what else?

slothonaleash
10-15-2007, 03:00 PM
lose weight

drive balls slow

don't stop for stop signs and/or lights

etc.

BustedS13
10-15-2007, 03:02 PM
drive everywhere as fast as possible. shorter time the engine's on= kaching!

seriously just do like 130 everywhere, from the indie music boutique to the hair product outlet to the used drift tires store.

azndoc
10-15-2007, 03:03 PM
Make sure you take a piss and dump prior to driving anywhere.

maxgohan
10-15-2007, 03:11 PM
as much as i would love to just floor it everywhere, toronto has this gay new law where they confiscate your car if you are caught going 50 km/h over the speed limit :/

steve shadows
10-15-2007, 03:23 PM
don't stop for stop signs and/or lights

+ 1

in between slow and fast

if you drive too slow you end up getting tail gated or if you acclerate too slow up hills you end up having to floor it half way up the inlcine like an asshole and guzzle way more gas rather than just keeping in a slightly lower gear

on oem cars fuel economy is pretty much synonymous with Throttle position.

Kuzumi
10-15-2007, 03:25 PM
does having cruise control on affect this any?

Evil240
10-15-2007, 03:27 PM
what kind of tips do you guys recommend interms of driving style to minimize gas usage

basics include not going into boost, keeping a light trunk (less weight)

what else?

put it in neutral.. make the friends push.

leave the windows up

remove all the seats (cept your own)

check tire pressure

make the significant other drive to see you.

Tops*
10-15-2007, 03:29 PM
Draft behind semi trucks!

Right tire pressure.

Drive like a grandma.

Skip from 3rd to 5th.

Ride a bike.

Walk.

Ask for rides.

(^ I don't do any of the ideas mentioned above :D)

BustedS13
10-15-2007, 03:30 PM
as much as i would love to just floor it everywhere, toronto has this gay new law where they confiscate your car if you are caught going 50 km/h over the speed limit :/

psh, that's metric though, so that's like going 400mph over the speed limit, and frankly, a 240sx can't go 400mph, i don't think it's geared for it. you should be fine

Tops*
10-15-2007, 03:36 PM
psh, that's metric though, so that's like going 400mph over the speed limit, and frankly, a 240sx can't go 400mph, i don't think it's geared for it. you should be fine

Yeah, if you don't have a working speedometer like me, just use that as your excuse when you get pulled over and go to court, they'll understand.

In that case, odometer won't work either so there's no telling how many mpg you're getting. So measure each tank by the fun factor. If it was a fun tank, it was a good tank, if it wasn't a fun tank, it was a shitty tank. You drive a 240sx, you bought the car to enjoy it, not to conserve gas.

jackjack
10-15-2007, 03:38 PM
cap off 3 injectors. instant 1 cylinder. rock on.

RYAN_S-14
10-15-2007, 03:40 PM

learn the conversion table WTF are you talkin about?

Farzam
10-15-2007, 03:55 PM
conserve gas....

Put it in neutral a lot.

Tie car to a semi and let it pull me

Daniel.
10-15-2007, 04:00 PM
cap off 3 injectors. instant 1 cylinder. rock on.

Best idea in the thread so far.

20 til 3
10-15-2007, 04:01 PM
do the 1st... 3rd ... 5th... no need for 2nd and 4th

when coming to a stop... throw it in neutral... hell, let off the gas earlier before a stop sign instead of waiting till last second

have you looked into e85 at all?

correct air pressure, good spark plugs, trans fluid, oil, e-fans... it all helps a little

Yuri
10-15-2007, 04:28 PM
What I do.
1. Buy old V8 Musclecar.
2. blow fuel efficient (in comparison) 2bbl miserly V8 up.
3. Replace with a built small block with a big fuel thirsty carb.
4. Don't have a working gas gauge.
5. If your gas gauge doesn't move, it means you're not burning fuel.
Performance and efficiency!

What my roomate did.
1. Date girl.
2. Tell girl you won't visit her unless she fills up your tank every time you visit.
3. Make sure girl lives on the way to work.
4. Visit girl on way back from work every other day.
^I'm not joking.:mepoke:

Farzam
10-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Your roommate is fucking great.

sleepy_s13
10-15-2007, 04:43 PM
a flux capacitor should do you right
http://www.genesbmx.com/Flux-Capacitor.jpg

BustedS13
10-15-2007, 05:02 PM

you sound like a canadian. and maybe YOU don't know metric.

1km/h = 15mph

DUHHHHH

another good way to save gas is to fill your gas tank with kerosene. big oil doesn't think you should know this, but kerosene is really just 400 octane gas. for streetable gasoline, you can take 1 part kerosene, three parts water. mix it well and pour it in your tank, or just fill your tank with about 3 and a half gallons of kerosene, then fill it the rest of the way with a garden hose. shake the back bumper for a few minutes, and tada! you'll have 100 octane gasoline for less than 50 cents a gallon. the best part is, the water will actually clean your engine as you drive. add soap for best results. i like to keep the soap index relatively lean, and only run simple green brand cleaner. it's non toxic, so you're really saving the environment by buying it. i usually add about 3 teaspoons per gallon for daily usage, but for drift days, i prefer a good 10 teaspoons per gallon, because that's pretty hard on the engine and it gets dirty inside. oh, and another helpful tip: to keep your oil passages clean as new, do yourself a favor and replace a quart of your next oil change with a straight quart of simple green. stuff is great, i use it instead of coolant as well.

sikkk240
10-15-2007, 05:29 PM
a flux capacitor should do you right
http://www.genesbmx.com/Flux-Capacitor.jpg

Best post ive seen all month..

slothonaleash
10-15-2007, 05:51 PM

you're the kind of guy who explains why a joke is funny to everyone seconds after it is cracked... aren't you

RYAN_S-14
10-15-2007, 05:56 PM
you sound like a canadian. and maybe YOU don't know metric.

1km/h = 15mph

DUHHHHH

another good way to save gas is to fill your gas tank with kerosene. big oil doesn't think you should know this, but kerosene is really just 400 octane gas. for streetable gasoline, you can take 1 part kerosene, three parts water. mix it well and pour it in your tank, or just fill your tank with about 3 and a half gallons of kerosene, then fill it the rest of the way with a garden hose. shake the back bumper for a few minutes, and tada! you'll have 100 octane gasoline for less than 50 cents a gallon. the best part is, the water will actually clean your engine as you drive. add soap for best results. i like to keep the soap index relatively lean, and only run simple green brand cleaner. it's non toxic, so you're really saving the environment by buying it. i usually add about 3 teaspoons per gallon for daily usage, but for drift days, i prefer a good 10 teaspoons per gallon, because that's pretty hard on the engine and it gets dirty inside. oh, and another helpful tip: to keep your oil passages clean as new, do yourself a favor and replace a quart of your next oil change with a straight quart of simple green. stuff is great, i use it instead of coolant as well.

no km is more than mph http://www.eforecourt.com/mph_kph_speed_convert.htm

RYAN_S-14
10-15-2007, 05:58 PM
200KPH is 124 MPH

2slow2go
10-15-2007, 06:17 PM
damn is he serious about the kerosene thing? if so i want to bu ya shitty car and try it

LongGrain
10-15-2007, 06:33 PM
200KPH is 124 MPH

lol :keke:

you just dont get it

zerooath
10-15-2007, 06:54 PM
i am usually in 5th gear at 35mph. I use fuel system cleaner about twice before next oil change...so maybe once every month or so. Tire pressure in check. Take out everything in your trunk you arent going to be using.

Driving slow is the key to saving gas. I shift at or before 2000rpm every time.

RYAN_S-14
10-15-2007, 07:38 PM

31.07 over the SL

RYAN_S-14
10-15-2007, 07:39 PM
lol :keke:

you just dont get it

WYF am i missing?

Originally Posted by BustedS13

31.07 over the SL

undesiredshoe
10-15-2007, 07:59 PM
just turn your tps so the computer thinks your throttle position is less than it really is and gives your engine less fuel which results in 20 add mpg to help you level up to Earth Lover Status.

pluyee
10-15-2007, 08:45 PM
buy an 82 diesel mercedes benz and convert it to fast food waste oil mobile

BustedS13
10-15-2007, 10:33 PM
WYF am i missing?

31.07 over the SL

what you don't get is that you're using Old World metric conversions. here in the 21st century, 1km/h is 15mph. jesus christ, Ezekiel, did you just fall off the turnip cart?

DRavenS13
10-15-2007, 10:34 PM
Easy way to conserve gas? Sell your car and ride a bike. Done and done.

SochBAT
10-16-2007, 01:31 AM
Accellerate moderately, maintain your high speeds, engine brake instead of last minute breaking, keep it in gear, regular maintenance, and throttle positioning.

You save more gas having less drag on the crankpulley. Maybe its just me, but after i dropped my AC, and lost the belt, it seemed to have gained 1-2 MPG. really admissable, but its something.

Oh yea. When you're driving up to an incline, increase speed BEFORE the incline, and use momentum to help drive you up. You waste more gas accelerating DURING the climb as opposed to before.

Simple physics.

Lighter = more gas efficient.

powersteeringless180sx
10-16-2007, 02:26 AM
a whole lotta neutral when coming to a stop sign or red light and being easy on the throttle when accelerating.

94cc0rd
10-16-2007, 02:34 AM
Accellerate moderately, maintain your high speeds, engine brake instead of last minute breaking, keep it in gear, regular maintenance, and throttle positioning.

Doesn't engine braking use more gas? It would seem to me that it would be more fuel efficient if you went into neutral and let the brakes do all the braking... hmm?

S14DB
10-16-2007, 03:23 AM
Shift at your TQ peak.
Row thru the gears to 5th as soon as possible.

Evil240
10-16-2007, 08:07 AM
cut a hole in the floor n fred flintstone that sucker... n hopefully that "im so JDM i drift when i walk" works.

jackjack
10-16-2007, 11:19 AM
^damnit you beat me to it. lol.

LigouriRd
10-16-2007, 12:00 PM
Doesn't engine braking use more gas? It would seem to me that it would be more fuel efficient if you went into neutral and let the brakes do all the braking... hmm?
When you decelerate in gear the ecu shuts off the injectors so you don't use any gas more or less gas cept mabye during the rev-match. Regardless engine braking and regular braking do the same thing just trade off what parts you wear out: gears, sychros, and clutch vs brake pads and disk...which cost less to replace?!

For one tank of fuel, at every stop light I shut off the engine...you know, the GM pickup truck interpretation of a hybrid. At the end of that tank of gas I saved a little mpg (don't remember) wasn't worth the effort/wear and tear on my starter.

#1 fuel saving tip for me, stay out of boost.

s13gold
10-16-2007, 12:37 PM
drive your car with 5 people pushing it. LOL.

axiomatik
10-16-2007, 01:30 PM
WYF am i missing?

31.07 over the SL

it's called sarcasm, look it up.

to conserve fuel, accelerate conservatively, shift at lower rpms (2200-2500), don't go over 65 on the freeway, maintain proper tire pressure (or even slightly higher than normal). when you know you are going to be coming to a stop, start coasting sooner. if you're accelerating from a light, and know that you are going to have to stop at the next light, don't bother accelerating all the way to the speed limit. make sure your O2 sensor is good/do a tune up.

94cc0rd
10-16-2007, 02:22 PM
I wish I could stay out of boost.. stock KA :sadwavey:

Okinawandrifter87
10-16-2007, 02:52 PM
Shift no higher than 2k rpms. It helps alot...

diomedes
10-16-2007, 07:10 PM
Make sure you take a piss and dump prior to driving anywhere.

I have to agree. Works very will.:boink:

axiomatik
10-16-2007, 07:59 PM
I wish I could stay out of boost.. stock KA :sadwavey:

what do you mean? you should have no problem staying out of boost. :keke:

dued
10-16-2007, 08:46 PM
:2f2f:

I've found a great way to save gas, and it's very obvious and simple. All you have to do is drive within 5 mph of the speed limit and never go over the speed limit unless going downhill (never use gas to go over 65mph).

I have been doing this for the past 2 weeks due to financial circumstances. At my job I drive about 50-60 miles a day. Today I drove about 50 miles on a quarter tank of gas and I still have about 1/2 quarter to go to the grocery store.

My method applies to highway driving, but adjust it to your route. I have people tailgate me quite often, and it's all good you just have to get used to it.

Hope that helps.

tokesĀ¹
10-16-2007, 09:44 PM
buy a prius and get thier theme song as your ringtone

JRas
10-16-2007, 09:58 PM
shift at lower rpm under 3k I've been told ideal is 2k-2.5k

jackjack
10-16-2007, 10:03 PM
Shift no higher than 2k rpms. It helps alot...

this is true. by buddy does this and he's in forth gear by the end of the block :D

Kaizen.
10-17-2007, 01:20 AM
take the bus.

thee end.

gameover.

EJ253
10-17-2007, 01:28 AM
get one of these (fixed gear) no brakes
bitchin

http://www.rscycle.com/site/image_browser/track_lg.jpg

then you can drive your car however the fuck you want when you only drive it half as often
thats what i do. makes for a lot more parts when i'm not getting raped from the insurance company and the gas pump.

plus chicks dig guys on road bikes.

...at least at college they do

pimpinomar
10-17-2007, 10:39 AM
Easy On The Throttle And Switch Gears As Early As Possible Also Dont Brake If Not Needed Kinda Just Coast A Lil. If U Dont Wanna Spend Money On Gas Just Frigggn Walk Or Ride A Bike

SochBAT
10-18-2007, 03:06 AM
With engine braking, you're in gear. If you don't give gas while in gear, you stall.

No more fuel is being used to keep you goin. In neutral, you're using gas to maintain itself, when you're slowing down, also takes a while longer.

I've always engine brakes, because it does as much harm as you've got on it while you're accelerating, but the opposite, and if the need arises, I don't have to shift back in gear to swerve away. Kinda like being on your toes at all times, just in case shit happens. Thats just me tho.

axiomatik
10-18-2007, 09:41 AM
the problem is that using engine braking, you are slowing down much faster, which means you can't start decelerating until much later, so you're running at 2000-2500 rpm for a longer period of time. if you coast in neutral, you can decelerate for 3-4 times the distance.

SochBAT
10-18-2007, 08:00 PM
Thats true. But for me, engine braking is better. I can stay going with the flow of traffic, and not be too much of a nuisance braking from the last stoplight coastin in neutral, while still relatively saving gas. Yea, not as much gas as coasting like hell from way back in neutral, but you win some, you lose some.

wootwoot
10-18-2007, 10:17 PM
Use synthetic thin oil

Use thin gear oil

Iam honestly flat bottoming my Subaru Forester for decreased wind noise, gas mileage, and down force. Its gonna be funny.

illvialuver
10-19-2007, 12:39 AM
easy low rpms, and try to coast to a red light, some people ride the gas all the time, and late brake, try not to do that.