Pages : [1] 2

swang
10-12-2007, 08:55 PM
anyone recommend any models brands etc?
im lookin for a good price on them too.
doesnt matter if its a crotch rocket or a harley

CantSTOP
10-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Have you ridden before? if so, get a suzuki gsxr! 600 or 750. Right now their around 7-8g's for a 06/07 600 or 750 but if you never ridden before start with something small like a Kawi 250.

Andrew Bohan
10-12-2007, 10:23 PM
could you be more general?

jeez.

it's like saying "what wheels should i get?" and then not even saying what kind of car you have or anything.

Ritz S14
10-12-2007, 10:36 PM
hi Androooooo~

oh yeah, Kawasaki Ex250 btw.

DRavenS13
10-12-2007, 10:37 PM
I want to learn to ride a motorcycle. Anyone willing to be a patient teacher?

CantSTOP
10-12-2007, 10:55 PM
I want to learn to ride a motorcycle. Anyone willing to be a patient teacher?

Just take the class much easier.. www.msf-usa.org (http://www.msf-usa.org) and I just recited the whole raven poem in my head cuz of your location. hahaha

DRavenS13
10-12-2007, 11:03 PM
I didn't know there were actual classes. Thanks for that.

Also, if you know that WHOLE poem in your head, props to you.

CantSTOP
10-12-2007, 11:11 PM
The class is hella cool, meet new people, learn alot about bikes and know how to be safe on the road. Also, you get insurance discount 15% and yeah I had to remember the "WHOLE" poem took me I think a few weeks.

SochBAT
10-14-2007, 02:05 AM
Sweet. Theres a place in Walnut. Wooooot.

Only costs $235.

eastcoastS14
10-14-2007, 02:10 AM
lol how are you supposed to get to the class? unless they have bikes there u can ride lol

Im planning to get a bike....a lot of my boys started off with 600s and they ride fine even tho most ppl say start with something smaller....Im leaning towards a 600rr, I sat on my boys gsxr 600 and the tank felt a little big, 600rr's just feel more comfortable to me idk

SochBAT
10-14-2007, 02:24 AM
Different years are different models. My buddies have the same bike, but different years, and sit differently. Tanks are bigger, and that shit hurts the living fuck outta my legs. To me, sportbikes aren't that comfy. Yea, some will disagree, but thats just me.

I'm lookin for a Honda CB750 to ride around. Cheap, reliable, and DIY-able.

Kinda like the 240 of bikes.

Part of me wants a 250 or 400cc bike. That way, i'd be able to ride it like a hachi, on the throttle all day long.

SHIFT_Slide
10-14-2007, 10:11 AM
Like Sochbat said, look for an older CB Honda, they're always SUPER cheap, and if you drop it you really wont care. When starting out riding, ride with someone who has been riding for a long time, watch what they do. The worst thing you can do is take your brand new sport bike out with some friends and try to keep up with them. That will only get you hurt. Go take that MSF class, even if you've been riding for years you'll still learn something. Riding isn't a joke, it's almost guaranteed you'll be cut off almost everyday that you ride.

If you MUST have a sport bike, check out some 01-06 Honda CBR F4i's. They are almost indestructible. They'll take a new rider and drops all over the place and love it. They can be found for some decent prices too, anywhere from 3 grand cash to $4,500.

The MAIN thing is just to take it slow, even if you feel comfortable after a few months of riding. Ive seen too many people go down who thought they were decent riders (only a few months of riding).

B18C5MK1
10-14-2007, 10:29 AM

how much are you looking to spend?

my dad has a 2004 Ducati Monster that he's looking to sell. I think he wants 7k obo for it. PM me for more details / pics.

CantSTOP
10-14-2007, 10:57 AM
the class do supply the bikes, you can ride a 250cc or a 500cc and here is my baby 07' gsxr 600 with my brother rsx.http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i69/GTOVR4/IMG_0957.jpg

Jung918
10-14-2007, 01:43 PM
One thing I want to warn you about. When someone cuts your off, make sure you don't punch their side mirror off because that would be wrong.

TipStylez
10-14-2007, 01:57 PM
riding bikes is easy, its just knowing how to control your self with that much speed. haha

GSXRJJordan
10-14-2007, 01:59 PM
...If you MUST have a sport bike, check out some 01-06 Honda CBR F4i's. They are almost indestructible. They'll take a new rider and drops all over the place and love it. They can be found for some decent prices too, anywhere from 3 grand cash to $4,500....

I couldn't agree more. Great first sportbike, if you're an average sized dude. I'm 6'3" and have a very hard time riding most 600s.

I used to be an MSF Instructor when I was in the Navy ~ the MSF class is a must for all new riders, and everyone making the transition from dirt to street also. I used to do all the low speed stuff (the walking drills, the box, etc) on my 04 GSXR1000, to show everyone how do-able it is on their Kawi 125's/Honda 250's. Good times.

Anyhow, take the class (and get your license) first, and if you like the laid back, comfortable nature of a cruiser, get one of those. If you actually enjoy life/excitement/have testicles, get a sportbike. Try and pay cash for a used bike - don't buy something new from a stealership.

I'm always around to give lessons if anyone wants to learn to ride, just supply your own bike. I've taught more people how to ride than I care to think about lol.

Ritz S14
10-14-2007, 10:26 PM
Different years are different models. My buddies have the same bike, but different years, and sit differently. Tanks are bigger, and that shit hurts the living fuck outta my legs. To me, sportbikes aren't that comfy. Yea, some will disagree, but thats just me.

I'm lookin for a Honda CB750 to ride around. Cheap, reliable, and DIY-able.

Kinda like the 240 of bikes.

Part of me wants a 250 or 400cc bike. That way, i'd be able to ride it like a hachi, on the throttle all day long.

I just bought an '82 CB750F. The bike is huge, I should have gotten a pre 80's CB400, just so I can toss it around more. I bought it, cause I want to cafe it out... but there are more parts for the 70s model.

My main bike is a '07 600RR.

airsoft
10-14-2007, 10:30 PM
If I could do it all over.

I would have gotten a 450cc. It can do just as good or better than 600's and 1,000's in Malibu and such.

Ride safe, keep your eyes peeled, practice braking, and... wear your fucking gear.

:D

89dc240
10-15-2007, 11:21 AM
Definitley wear the gear. Thats the worst thing I see today. Ppl fucking wearing shorts and sandals deserve to go down because they are unprotected. No one piece of gear will save your life either, not even a helmet. Wear it all.

The classes, they are good, but the MSF ones are sometimes a dude looking for a paycheck, who's not patient enough to feed his own baby, let alone teach some one how to ride. Some Harley Dealerships offer the course like mine. They teach it on a 500cc Buell Blast that is so hard to ride(for a new person) that you can likely ride anything after you're done. It's a little more expensive($400 for our course, $250 for MSF in NJ) but it is worth the extra dough. They will try to "introduce" you to Harley Davidson though, so bear with it, they understand new riders shouldn't start out on a $10k bike.

Also, YOU WILL CRASH.

Not if,,, WHEN. SO wear your gear. And bang out on your first, cheap bike. Not your brand new Hayabusa with 57 miles on it. I've seen worse by the way.

pbcstylez
10-15-2007, 04:56 PM
always dress for a crash i believe is what MSF will teach you. 90% of the time its not you, its everybody else around you.

Like everybody else has said a F4i will more then suffice your thrist for atleast a year or two. Learn to ride it well, every other bike will be cake.

sleepy_s13
10-15-2007, 05:01 PM
I like this one
http://www.sankei.co.jp/moto/2005/oct/jpeg/yzf_r6.jpg

SochBAT
10-16-2007, 01:32 AM
Dodge Tomahawk.

or a Killacycle.

breakindrifts
10-16-2007, 01:55 AM
I just bought an 07 YZF-R6.
First bike, like it so far.

sw20>>s14
10-16-2007, 02:25 AM
buy my F4i so i can buy a NC29 or NC30!!!

F4is are great beginner/keeper bikes...theyre so forgivable and when you "out ride" them, you can always get little goodies to make it more aggressive...get rearsets or rearset riser plates, .90 springs, dial in more aggressive suspension specs, 15/48 sprockets, blah, blah, blah...and the good thing is if you want another bike, F4is retain their value more than any bike on the market...im deciding to keep mine until next season hits or at least two track days; which ever comes first...

rainier
10-16-2007, 04:12 PM
Get the new Ninja 250R.

looks badass for a 250.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/detail.aspx?id=263&content=photos

trsilvias13
10-16-2007, 06:18 PM
^^ agree - it only 250cc, plus it is new, plus it is cheap, plus you have factory warrenty. Cant beat that for a starter bike.

eastcoastS14
10-20-2007, 12:28 AM
sorry to thread jack but out of curiousity how many of you that ride have dropped your bike and what were the circumstances that you dropped it??....AKA what were u doing that made u fuck ur shit up lol

SochBAT
10-20-2007, 01:23 AM
I was riding the Buell we've got, and i'm still learning to get used to leaning and all. I'm rollin thru a right turn, with a sick blindspot, a huge bush. I rode yesterday, thinking it'll be the same conditions.

Wrong.

There was a sand trail that formed from water rolling down, and it was pretty heavy. Tried to decel, but couldn't slow down in time.

Choked , and didn't straighten out, the rear slipped, and i slid. Wasn't too bad, but now i have a cute wound on my arm.

Chicks digg it.

But i'm not gettin action. So that may not be true.

89dc240
10-20-2007, 08:02 AM
Ah haha hahahaha. I love to think about it. Cold tire on a VRSCD Night Rod. Comin out of a sharp right turn at 35mph, like 3200 rpm's, whacked the throttle. On the vrod's the power comes in hard at like 3500rpm, so... the tire just started smokin and I wasn't quite upright. Bunch of clockwise rotations on the exhaust side for the bike. Me, I went in the same direction as the bike, bounced on my ass 3 times spinning between each bounce.

Boils down to carelesness. And being a dumbass, lol. Only a few people to witness it too. Mad respect for vrods now. And a little more careful when i'm on litre-bikes now too.

DOOK
10-20-2007, 08:39 AM
as has been stated before, take the class, it had ALL sorts of benefits from cheaper insurance to the fact that IF you do get pulled over and the cops see you took the class they are more likely to go easy on you and give you a warning. As for good starter bikes, a full out street bike is not good to learn on, the ninja 250 is ok, but I'd go with a more streetable bike like a suzuki sv650 or a honda blackhawk.

SHIFT_Slide
10-20-2007, 11:48 AM
Most drops are from stops. New riders aren't used to the weight of the bike, and moving that weight around. It's easy to tell if someone is comfortable with the bike by the way they move it without it actually running. A good idea for a new riders is to pick a bike with a low seat height, so you're able to stand up flat footed and not on your tippy toes. It'll help you hold the bike up.

eastcoastS14
10-20-2007, 05:35 PM
just curious.....any one here every been on a ducati, or know anything about them? they look so sick, probably wouldnt get one for a first bike but maybe get a 748 down the line or something. What do you guys think of em how do they ride etc?

SHIFT_Slide
10-20-2007, 06:10 PM
I've ALWAYS been in love with 996's but sadly I have never actually gotten a chance to test it on the street, only around a parking lot. While that may not be much I still loved it. Most Ducati's have a very linear power band, not a super amount of torque like a Harley but a lot more linear yet not as peaky as other Japanese sportbikes. (They still rev very high)
Both the 996 and 748 are powered by L twin motors (90°). Great bikes they are and I'd love to own one.

infinitexsound
10-20-2007, 07:32 PM
old school 70's bike best bang for the buck... cafe'd out

get a 70's honda cb, or a kawasaki kz..... if u like new up to date crotch rockets i say a zx.

DOOK
10-20-2007, 08:57 PM
just curious.....any one here every been on a ducati, or know anything about them? they look so sick, probably wouldnt get one for a first bike but maybe get a 748 down the line or something. What do you guys think of em how do they ride etc?

I've ridden many Ducati bikes, from the monster style the 999s and I've never been a huge fan, the 999s is a VERY expensive bike and I was expecting much more... they are ok, but ehhh... I'm actually a much bigger fan of Aprilia... My best friend rides a Falco with Mille swingarm conversion and built Mille engine... it's wicked and with the dual Akropovic pipes it sounds like a muscle car... gotta love it.

ChingSR20
10-20-2007, 09:32 PM
the ninja zx10r is a nice bike.

http://www.kawasaki-motors.ru/images/mcy/zx-10r_01.jpg

silvia-junkie
10-21-2007, 10:23 AM
i learned on a 87 ex500. my advice would be buy used for a first bike if you drop it you wont care to much. a smaller bike is good i recomend 500's fast enough to have some fun but not crazy that it will get out of hand to quick. if you are experienced atleast where i am a new fi 600 is all you need there are lots of corners around me and not to many straights perfect for a 600. the next question is how tall are you kawasaki and honda's tend to fit shoter folks better while yamaha's and suzuki's are a bit bigger. im 5'8" and my zx6r is perfect.

my bike
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z42/t-junkie/fbc9_12-1.jpg

oh and dravins13 the msf course http://www.msf-usa.org/ has bikes for you to learn on. they had honda 250's here. good course they teach you the basics and emergency manuvers that have saved my ass more than once.

sunnys14
10-21-2007, 09:54 PM

i dont like them, my buddies duc 749 dark was prolly the most uncomfortable bike to ride long distances. seat was firm, tank was very long, seatpegs awkward position. puts the rider stance far back with your arm extended fully forward. really torquey but the top end power isnt there, at all... period. handles good though

GSXRJJordan
10-22-2007, 06:04 AM
^^^ like everything else on this site, there's waaaay too much mis-information floating around here.

1] Ducatis are shitty bikes for anyone that actually rides. The 1098 is a nice bike, but no one who owns a 240 is going to drop $20k on a bike - and especially one that gets it's ass handed to it by EVERY $13k Jap literbike. Long story short, I've owned a few, including a 916SPS (look it up, they're rare, like S15s in the US rare), a 996, and a 749 (got in trade). They all suck compared to Japanese bikes, in EVERY respect.

2] Seat heights for all NEW bikes (like 04+) are the same - 600s, 750, 1000, all of em - they're all within an inch or so. The only difference as far as standing up the bike/waiting at stoplights is seat and tank width, with 600s/750s being narrower.

Lesson: If you're starting out, go sit on the bike before you buy it. If you're small, and/or can't walk the bike in a straight line, it's physically too big for you to handle - go find something smaller. For you little guys, this means starting on a Kawi EX500 or something. That's fine - don't get a bike that's too large (not talking engine size, just physical size) for you to get comfortable with.

3] The 2004 ZX10 linked to above is the hardest-to-ride bike I've ever ridden. Even with a steering damper and different tires, the front end is so unpredictable that it's not enjoyable to ride fast. Please look into other options (2005+ GSXR1000 would be the best) for a literbike in the $4000-$8000 range.

4] "cafe racers" are nice to look at but not that fun to ride (if you actually ride for a while), in addition to being inherently unreliable (they're older bikes, sketchy maintenance, carbureted instead of FI, etc). Again, wouldn't recommend it.

Oh, and as far as crash stories - I've lost count of most of them (majority are low speed, where the front end loses traction - braking and hitting painted lines/water/sand and you dump it, braking between cars/splitting lanes on the freeway and dump it, coming to a stop and your foot slips and you dump it, etc), but these are small potatoes - little knick on your frame sliders and some embarrassment. I've had probably 10 of those little ones in my >60,000 miles of street riding experience.
The big accidents are up in the canyons when people outride their equipment (usually brakes or front tires) or their skill level (braking too late, running wide/into the next lane) racing or trying to be 'fast', or doing stunts. I've never gone down in the canyons or on the track, and I've never gone down doing stunts. I do 1st/2nd/3rd gear wheelies and at least one endo almost every time I get on my bike, too.

Lastly, like I said in my first post on this thread, anyone in the LA/OC area can come to me to learn to ride, or to have me pick up their first bike with them and give 'em some lessons. I want you guys to all enjoy riding, and survive your first few months on the mean streets.

silvia-junkie
10-22-2007, 11:06 AM
^^^^ this man speaks the truth. sitting on the bike is the best way to find if it fits you. and when i was talking about size i more ment ergos. atleast in my experience as a shorter rider i felt to streched on suzukis and yamahas. small variations on hand and foot position can make a huge difference.

Dorifto89
10-22-2007, 05:09 PM
http://images.craigslist.org/010212010309011611200710222178e1364fc0568e0a000f20 .jpg
http://images.craigslist.org/0115030103030104092007102287084172ac6316e25800368e .jpg

CR500 Supermoto. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/456342752.html

topsecretgold
10-23-2007, 01:48 AM
im getting an r6 or 03+ gixxer as soon as i get off my lazy ass and make money

wingsnthangs
10-23-2007, 05:15 PM
My first bike was a Kawasaki Ninja 250. It was a great bike, I rode it for a good 10 months before moving up to a Yamaha R6.

I concur. Wear your gear, get a used bike, MSF, etc. I also second the Ninja 250 as an excellent starter bike (best fuel economy, very maneuverable, very manageable dimensions, excellent value and resale), but if you worry too much about how you look and people giving you props, you won’t get it. Bike selection is a very subjective and (dare I say) emotionally driven choice.

I rode a Ninja 250 for the first 10 months before moving up to a Yamaha R6. I’m 100% sure that I would have crashed or dropped the R6 had I not gained the experience on the Ninja 250 first. Like all riders, I’ve had my share of close calls. But I’m fortunate enough to say I have yet to crash or drop a bike.

But as my coworker, who’s been riding/fixing bikes (dirt, sport, cruiser) for over 20 years, says: "There are two types of riders: those who have crashed, and those who have not crashed yet.” He has given up street riding completely for years now, and I have recently stopped commuting to work. I guess it’s kinda like leaving the poker table while you're still up (aka alive and uninjured).

Ride safe.

Farzam
10-23-2007, 07:37 PM
I want to learn how to ride...

The closest thing i've ridden to a motorcycle is years of BMX and a moped.

I should probably have a friend with a dirtbike teach me...right?

Dorifto89
10-23-2007, 08:08 PM
Yep. I learned how to ride on an '85 XR350.

After that I picked up an XR250 dualsport and rode that around for a while until I realized I bought it from a fat dyke and the engine blew up.

If you can, get yourself on some 4 stoke dirtbike and bwot around for a bit to get a good feel for riding, clutch engagement and what not.

After that get on a 250 2 stroke and piss off your neighbors. bbrrraaaaaaaaaaapppp

Diabolical
10-23-2007, 09:42 PM
Start on a used 600cc bike

rainier
10-24-2007, 01:26 AM
start on a 250cc-600cc.

250s are great learner bikes and people on bike forums will tell you that. you need to learn basics before hitting the big bikes man. Don't worry about what bike you get first, everyone starts somewhere. when i first bought my ninja250, i thought it was gonna be crappy, thought people would make fun of me, but really, i learned alot and im glad i started on that. the mistakes i made on my small bike helped me out with my other 600cc bikes. only reason i upgraded to the 600s is because the freeway SUCKED ASS. i always got tailed.

240_whore
10-24-2007, 09:16 PM
I'd love to have a crotchrocket... But I'd probably kill myself. You know the Honda CBR 600RR (2007) does the 1/2 mile in 9.96 sec bone stock?

My favorite one to dream about is definitely either the Suzuki GSX 600 or 750. Guy down my street has a Hyabusa (spelling?) and it's outrageously fast. He won't let me drive it for some reason... :( :P

wootwoot
10-24-2007, 10:47 PM
SV650's are really nice....Somewhat mellow riding position, still look nice with full feiring, cheap, plentiful, simple, dont have to rev the snot outta em. If I were to purchase a bike it'd be one of em. Doesnt have the crazy racer aspect but that isnt what you're looking for.

I wish I wasnt so scared of dying otherwise I'd have a bike, they are so fun. I had a friend who was sitting at a stop light recently and a dude took the turn wide and where my friend on the bike was is where the truck went. That was a terrible sentence but basically he got plowed by an f250 at 3 in the afternoon when he was just sitting there. Well he's dead now so that sucks.

Andrew Bohan
10-24-2007, 10:53 PM
+1 for SV's

good starter bike. mellow but not unbearably slow

soreballz
10-25-2007, 01:04 AM
+1 for a 250.

I want a bike. But, my self control issues keep me off of anything with two wheels and a motor. lol

GSXRJJordan
10-25-2007, 01:05 PM
You know the Honda CBR 600RR (2007) does the 1/2 mile in 9.96 sec bone stock?Um, no.

1/2 mile? Cmon man...

600s have NEVER broken the 10sec mark in the quarter, stock, and especially not a Honda (known as the slowest, least hp brand in the last 10 years or so).

So I call BS. Edit: Yeah everyone's saying that it turns mid to high 10s with a pro rider, which means an average rider would see mid to high 11s. Just like every other stock 600.

Back on topic, yes the SV650 is a great starter bike also, but doesn't have the HP that the CBR600F4i has, and LA has a lot of freeways where that extra 20hp is greatly appreciated.

Andrew Bohan
10-25-2007, 01:09 PM
i dunno, i've never had trouble blasting from 80 to 120 on mine. hopping around a car going 60 in the fast lane is no trouble either. it's all that torque it has.

GSXRJJordan
10-25-2007, 01:57 PM
^^^ I assume you're talking about the SV. Ride a few more bikes - I've ridden SV1000s and SV650s and love the torque too, but my bike makes 50ft-lbs (the SV650's peak torque) at like 6000rpm... and then I rev all the way to 13.5k :) Whenever I ride an SV I keep bouncing it off the limiter hoping to finally hit the powerband lol.

But for someone who's not jaded, the SV650 is a blast of a bike, just like any other recent (last 10 years) Japanese bike.

10-25-2007, 02:46 PM
http://tobkes.othellomaster.com/images/2006/coffin.jpg

Andrew Bohan
10-25-2007, 03:45 PM
oh i'm not saying the sv is the torqueiest bike, just that it's not so shitty that the freeway isn't good for it.

and although the sv's peak torque isn't that high, it's barely lower than peak at low rpm's, the same characteristic torque curve difference a V8 has over a 4-cyl

eastcoastS14
10-25-2007, 04:59 PM
so a freind of mine said he would sell his 06 zx6r to me for $5000....not sure how serious he is but i might find out and try and take him up on that offer

SochBAT
10-25-2007, 05:40 PM
Zilvia Riding Team.

Lets do it.

eastcoastS14
10-25-2007, 07:51 PM
ha yeah def....if i move out to cali after school id be down

so does anyone have opinions of zx6r's? do you think it would be worth buying my friends as a first bike? Like I said 5k for an 06 zx6r

infinitexsound
10-27-2007, 01:21 AM
kaw's are cool... best bang for the buck... you could always spend 500 bucks and just get a 70's bike to learn and ride on..

downshift_sideways
10-27-2007, 04:37 AM
Kawi's are great bikes.

Heres mine:
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff221/AntzPrincess/bike2.jpg

89dc240
10-27-2007, 08:11 AM
http://images.craigslist.org/010212010309011611200710222178e1364fc0568e0a000f20 .jpg
http://images.craigslist.org/0115030103030104092007102287084172ac6316e25800368e .jpg

CR500 Supermoto. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/456342752.html

Sweet bike, unfortunately not streetable. 2 strokes are old technology with poor emissions. Fun as shit, just not legal for the street. Well, to a certain extent, my friend has a 70 something yamaha 2 stroke street bike. 350 screaming cc's of power, lol. Now if he could get the title for it, I think he could probably register that.

Farzam: I don't think getting on a friends dirtbike is the way to learn. I had some riding experience, and got onto a dirtbike. A few minutes later, I'm limping back to the bike that was stuck on a pile of wood with a healthy sized branch goin thru the radiator, the rad shrouds broken off and some other small shit was fucked up. Did about $800 :barf: worth of damage. I mean, if ya got money to blow like that, go ahead, lol. Just be careful(to everyone).

Anyhow, the more you know before you hit the road, the more you can concentrate on the other assholes that are out to kill you.

Annnnddd. A store called Cycle Gear(80 locations, so there's probably one relatively close) gives out free stickers sayin "motorcycles are everywhere" or something like that. Get one, put in on your car, put it on your mom's car, put it on your girlfriend's car, anybody who'll let you put it on there.

Don't worry about your sister's car, I got that one:boink:

One last thing(s) lol.

Painted lines, as mentioned above are a bitch. Tollbooths, are the WORST. Everyone who's car leaks oil goes thru them, and stops, and leaks, and continues on. So when you get there, stay away from the middle. Try not to put your foot down in the oil too. It's tricky, but I like to put my left foot on the curb, and try to leave my right foot on the peg so it doesn't get oil all over it.

89dc240
10-27-2007, 08:11 AM
Kawi's are great bikes.

Heres mine:
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff221/AntzPrincess/bike2.jpg

Rhino liner on the tank? Badass.

Dorifto89
10-27-2007, 11:04 AM
Sweet bike, unfortunately not streetable. 2 strokes are old technology with poor emissions. Fun as shit, just not legal for the street. Well, to a certain extent, my friend has a 70 something yamaha 2 stroke street bike. 350 screaming cc's of power, lol. Now if he could get the title for it, I think he could probably register that.

http://images.craigslist.org/01150501040001160420071022a98a6e67771b243453009770 .jpg

Fully street legal my friend.

89dc240
10-27-2007, 01:16 PM
Damn! And in Cali?!?! I'm an asshole. How did you do that? I have to do that, I'd rock the fuck out of a CR500 on the road.

240_whore
10-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Um, no.

1/2 mile? Cmon man...

600s have NEVER broken the 10sec mark in the quarter, stock, and especially not a Honda (known as the slowest, least hp brand in the last 10 years or so).
First off I meant 1/4 mile. Don't know where my head was. It has been edited.

I can't find the link after 15 minutes of googling. I saw it on some crotch-rocket site where they had the basic specs (HP, 0-60, 1/4 mile, Redline, top speed... ) for every motorcycle to be made in 2008. Honda CBR600RR was 9.96, GSX-R600 was around 10.1?

No link but yes I saw dragtimes.net and yes you're right. mid to high 10's for professional riders.

GSXRJJordan
10-27-2007, 11:22 PM
^^^ I looked at this, and wasn't going to post (because it's already been said), but there's no way that a stock (even lowered) 600 is running in the 9s. The Hayabusa ran 9.94 in ONE magazine (the rest turned low 10s) when it debuted...

Anyway, keep the dream alive Zilvians, if you want a bike just take the class to figure out which type of bikes you want to ride, and save for your first one. I'm still waiting for the first Zilvian Bike Lesson though, somebody's gotta be new and wanting to learn to ride better...

downshift_sideways
10-27-2007, 11:40 PM
Rhino liner on the tank? Badass.

Suprised you noticed, Great to grip when you pop wheeles.

anthony240
10-27-2007, 11:50 PM
if, and i mean IF, I get a bike from a dealership, would they let me ride it outta there without a license?

Andrew Bohan
10-27-2007, 11:56 PM
i didn't need a license when i got mine. heard most places don't care.

downshift_sideways
10-28-2007, 12:02 AM
if, and i mean IF, I get a bike from a dealership, would they let me ride it outta there without a license?

Honestly they dont care.
They ask for a valid drivers license or I.d.

eastcoastS14
10-28-2007, 06:03 PM
go get ur permit.....it takes like 10minutes its a written test easier than the one to get ur car license

wootwoot
10-28-2007, 06:04 PM
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/motorcycling/newmotorcycles/41244/

quit being a pussy and just get one a these

Andrew Bohan
10-28-2007, 06:22 PM
barf. it's like the z32 of sportbikes.

aznganstah
10-28-2007, 06:46 PM
Here's my SV650S

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/aznganstah/Family/sv650s.jpg

This is my first bike and I love it a lot. I ride it whenever I can. Definitely I would recommend this as a first bike. But like some of the people said earlier, just don't be careless with it.

Like people mentioned earlier, take the MSF course, you'll learn a lot from it :)

Andrew Bohan
10-28-2007, 06:58 PM
where did you get your fairings from?

aznganstah
10-28-2007, 10:03 PM
the fairing came with the bike when I bought it from the previous owner...

you can buy them online but they are pricey imo

Andrew Bohan
10-28-2007, 10:54 PM
yeah like $500ish from a dealer.

prolly just go with aftermarket

at least the oem ones come with factory paint

wootwoot
10-28-2007, 11:24 PM
barf. it's like the z32 of sportbikes.

Mehhhh. I'd describe it more so as the Buggati Veryon.

Its not to pretty, its heavy, its one of the most expensive bikes, but its faster then damn near everything else stock for stock.

Z32's werent really that fast...

Andrew Bohan
10-28-2007, 11:47 PM
i was thinking more of the weight and ugliness

skithesteel
10-29-2007, 12:16 AM
I started riding this spring and learned on my sister's EX250 while I was rebuilding my '78 Kawasaki KZ650 for my first bike. The only thing I don't like about my bike is the weight, seeing as how it's about 480 lbs dry ... sitting on and riding the 250 after being used to my bike the last 4 months is like sitting on a bicycle, the weight difference is huge and it is so much more maneuverable.

My next bike is going to be a Triumph Street Triple, just have to go put down a deposit on it. It's a 675, but I really don't see a need for a liter bike (for me, at least). There's no way I would be able to trust myself something with that much power for the street.

Here's my KZ..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/pinballwizard/dunzo2004.jpg

Oh and FWIW I took and recommend the MSF course.

wootwoot
10-29-2007, 12:25 AM
i was thinking more of the weight and ugliness

awe I think z32's are gorgeous...To each their own. I want a z32 with a vq35 and no frickin t tops

Dorifto89
10-29-2007, 12:58 AM
Damn! And in Cali?!?! I'm an asshole. How did you do that? I have to do that, I'd rock the fuck out of a CR500 on the road.

The only thing I did was provide the craigslist link. It's for sale going for around $7400.:w00t:

!Zar!
10-29-2007, 01:09 AM
Whoo for Motard love.

blu808
10-29-2007, 02:39 AM
http://www.sigbjorn.org/funstuff/images/your_new_wheels.jpg

wootwoot
10-29-2007, 02:45 AM
Offset on those wheels is weaksauce.

downshift_sideways
10-29-2007, 03:38 AM
http://www.sigbjorn.org/funstuff/images/your_new_wheels.jpg
haha right on

sunnys14
10-29-2007, 10:51 PM
Um, no.

Have you even checked out the new CBR600rr? Probably not... the 2007 Honda 600rr was rated the best 600 of 2007, had the beefiest hp and tq curve and was the lightest. It also tied the r6 in the 1/4 mile.

Honda came up really good in 2007 with the new release of the 600rr.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c380/fall3nstar05/dyno.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c380/fall3nstar05/weight.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c380/fall3nstar05/quarter.jpg

wootwoot
10-29-2007, 11:02 PM
The Honda is still less powerful then the Yamaha but I'd take the powerband of the Honda anyday. Hondas are always known as being more forgiving and comfortable. Look at that nasty curve on the Yamaha, no fun

eastcoastS14
10-29-2007, 11:42 PM
lol nothin like a 400lb 100+ hp machine that'll do the 1/4mile in 10seconds and 14000rpms to rip through sitting between your legs with nothing holding you on but your hands :eek3:

blu808
10-30-2007, 12:05 AM
actually if you use your hands to hold on you will get a tank slapper. You use your legs to hold on.

blu808
10-30-2007, 12:07 AM
The Honda is still less powerful then the Yamaha but I'd take the powerband of the Honda anyday. Hondas are always known as being more forgiving and comfortable. Look at that nasty curve on the Yamaha, no fun

Yea the honda would smoke the more powerful yam because the yam only makes more power at redline.

Usable power ftw

!Zar!
10-30-2007, 09:10 AM
The 07 600rr is a world of difference compared to the prior years.
SO much lighter. And the powerband feels comparable to a 636. Weight loss is noticeable also. Mad props to honda for the changes they made.

But `08 bikes are just around the corner...

GSXRJJordan
10-30-2007, 01:42 PM
Mad props to Honda for winning the hearts and minds of magazines and car forum kickstand-racers.

The weight savings is definitely impressive (claimed dry weights are useless, wait until one of the real sites/moto mags does an on-the-track, same day weight comparison), but starting in 2004, Honda started giving up all the things that made them the best-selling brand - the comfortability (huge when considering a streetbike), the predictability and comfort of the motors (the new motors are more peaky and buzz/vibrate a TON), and still havent seen wins on race day (Yamaha murders everyone in the Supersport 600cc class, Suzuki and Yamaha trade podiums in the 1000cc Superstock class, and Suzuki OWNS the 1000cc Superbike class).

My first two street bikes were Hondas (996 superhawk, bike of the year in 1998, and a 2000 CBR929RR), but for anyone who actually rides, Honda has historically not been the 'racers/canyon riders/non-n00b' choice. It looks like the 600 is beast this year, but cmon, thats like comparing the fastest NA KA24s... who gives a shit? Also, on my original note, observe the professional's best drag time was 10.60. I could turn a 10.60 starting in second gear.

600cc bikes are not safer, easier to ride, or much cheaper than their 1000cc brethren. The only advantage is gas mileage and insurance cost. Think about that when sitting on bikes/preparing to buy/dreaming.

sw20>>s14
10-30-2007, 02:01 PM
The 07 600rr is a world of difference compared to the prior years.
SO much lighter. And the powerband feels comparable to a 636. Weight loss is noticeable also. Mad props to honda for the changes they made.

But `08 bikes are just around the corner...

when did you get your grubby squid tentacles on a test ride already?

and iirc, the F4i was one of the quickest 1/4 in its class at the time...gotta rep my baby =D

!Zar!
10-30-2007, 02:47 PM
when did you get your grubby squid tentacles on a test ride already?

and iirc, the F4i was one of the quickest 1/4 in its class at the time...gotta rep my baby =D

V has one that I rode. As well as a few other friends with various years.

Watch out, I'm coming.

wootwoot
10-30-2007, 05:39 PM
Funny when 14k sounds low....Silly go karts I race making that seem like nothin =)

infinitexsound
11-01-2007, 10:28 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/pinballwizard/dunzo2004.jpg

nice bike, yeah... i got 2 of those bikes... chopping them down, gutting dead weight.. and making a custom fiberglass seat. lowering the front forks also... there not much of a canyon carver, but theyre nice bikes to learn and just ride for the nostalgia sense.... something similar to this...
http://kzrider.com/components/com_ponygallery/img_pictures/SNC10002_smaller.jpg

DRavenS13
11-02-2007, 01:43 AM
This is a totally noob-ass question, but when getting a used bike to learn on, how much should one typically spend?

Dorifto89
11-02-2007, 01:47 AM
You could get away with spending $1000, and I'd say $2500 would get you a very nice bike.

DRavenS13
11-02-2007, 01:49 AM
I'm relatively short (5'3"), so I'm trying to see what I can look for that won't be too hard for me to control. But that doesn't sound too bad. Probably after the new year I'll start saving.

GSXRJJordan
11-02-2007, 03:12 AM
If you're 5'3", anything you get will be a struggle to stand up flat-footed. That being said, it doesn't really matter - it just means you need to be extra careful, and practice more.

If you're not really worried about looks, and just want to cruise around on a decent bike, a Honda CB would be cheap and decent. (they made CB400, 450, and 750 I believe, all are standard "cruiser" layout, but with inline engines).

Myself, I'd recommend the "fight or flight" method of getting the bike you think you want, and trying your damnedest to ride it - that's what I did when I transitioned from dirt to street, and I think I'm a better rider because of it. So by that thinking, if you want a sportbike, get a CBR600 or SV650 and deal with the fact that you won't ever be able to put both feet on the ground ;)

As far as a dollar amount - start around $1k for the bike and another $500 for helmet/jacket/gloves. That'll be a shit bike. For around $4k, you can get a truly nice machine in good shape, from 4 years ago or so, with around 10k miles. Naturally, there's variation in different markets - again I offer my services: if you have what you believe to be a good deal, email/pm me, and I'll help ya out if I can.

eastcoastS14
11-02-2007, 07:38 AM
^^ I have a question....how long do bike motors typically last....I mean I assume coming from a company like honda a 600rr could last a long time....I see bikes that are like 4 or 5 years old with like 10k+ miles and it seems like a lot but idk if that even matters or if they are like civics and just run forever cause id definitely be willing to pay a lower price for a bike with some extra miles

89dc240
11-02-2007, 07:40 AM
Yeah there's deals to be had DRaven, check your local Harley shops and see if they have any import trade-ins they'll let go at wholesale or a little above. I'd also suggest a Buell Blast to learn on for like a year or so. There are two seat heights available and we have some short students here that do fine on the short seat. They can be a little finnicky, the Buell Blast, but you can definitley get one for a grand in the right spot. Try badweatherbikers.com or vtwinforums.com and look in the classifieds. They are also called P3's.

89dc240
11-02-2007, 07:49 AM
Ah the Japanese know how to build a motor. 10k on a metric bike is nothing. I've seen newer Harleys still runnin strong on stock, 80k mile engines.

The only thing I'd worry about on MOST USED SPORTBIKES,, is the more mileage they've got, the more chances that bike has had to go down, and be shoddilly repaired by some dope that just wants to get back on the road, or sell the bike to some newb cause they don't know what to look for. This is very easy to cover up on sportbikes because you can't really take all the plastics off when your goin to look at the bike. You'll only be able to really see things that are most likely easy to replace.

Assume the worst when buying used. If the bike is obviously not stock colors, the thing was probably wrecked. Not always, but probably. And try to get a read on the seller too. Old guys on bikes still like to beat their shit once in a while but not as bad as a LOT of younger guys. Any woman over 30 or so, maybe with kids, that's a good bike to buy, unless she lets her 20 year old boyfriend drive it, lol.

Feel free to PM me too if you think you found a deal on a bike. (that goes for anyone)

eastcoastS14
11-04-2007, 11:36 PM
sketchy or no?

http://www.nationalpowersports.net/itemDetail.aspx?pid=2&sTxt=suzuki&sType=8&st=Description&itemID=1986

the no blinkers or plate light seems sketchy for some reason...any opinions

they also have a 03 750 for $4800 but idk if a 750 would be too much for a first bike....someone let me know what u think

sunnys14
11-04-2007, 11:47 PM
whats so sketchy about it, alot of people that ride get a fender eliminator which removes the rear plate light AND/OR turn signals. i removed rear plate light and signals and swapped with smaller turn signals and no plate light. no problems from the cops ever.

eastcoastS14
11-05-2007, 12:49 AM
yeah true...haha I guess I just assume the worst....like somebody 12 o'clocked it or somethin lol more than likely not the case but i justed wanted a second opinion

GSXRJJordan
11-05-2007, 04:13 AM
750 is the same as a 600 - gutless. It'll help you get used to the insane amount of torque that is at your fingertips, and will help you understand that with those bikes, you have to downshift (at least once) to get into the powerband. They also crap out at 120mph or so, so you won't be tempted to top it out on the freeway.

Like Sunny said, it's completely normal to remove the turn signals and/or rear fender (plate holder). That being said, that bike has probably been wrecked, because they listed it as 'cosmetically clean'... That doesn't mean I still wouldn't buy it :) That's a great bike for not too much cash.

03 was not a good year for 750s - an 04 is twice the bike, for maybe 15% more money.

I'm glad this thread is finally becoming constructive!

eastcoastS14
11-07-2007, 12:30 AM
well I know that prices are subjective to locations....west coast prices are a little different than eastcoast prices ect...but what should i expect to pay for these bikes?

01/02 gsxr 600

04+ gsxr 600

03 cbr 600rr

03 zx6r

by what should I expect I mean from a standpoint of not getting scammed either by prices that are way too low and might suggest damage or way to high and ripping me off...so maybe for each of these give me a range and then say I wouldnt pay more than $XXX and no less than $XXX.... if that makes sense

89dc240
11-07-2007, 07:05 AM
Ya know that makes me wonder if those little yellow NADA books are geographical too. I'll check one out at work tomorrow...

sunnys14
11-07-2007, 11:57 AM
the only gsxr600 i really liked was the 06-07, all the other ones look way too bulky and fat for me. especially the new 08 redesign, freakkin put a huge side exit exhaust on that thing. looks like a gsxr1k

for cbr600rr's get a 03+ were somewhat the same, its just got lighter in 05-06 with minor face lift and slight body change. still the same engine nevertheless.

for the zx6r, 03-04 had the 636cc engine which dominated, also had side exit exhaust which i didnt like. i really liked the 05-06 636, nice flowing body, undertail exhaust... etc still retained the dominating 636cc engine, massive tq, more hp under the curve than any other 600cc (cheater bike due to the extra 36cc).

as for prices, i cant really say how much you should be spending. prices range from here and there, depends on how desperate the owner gets :)

my buddy picked up a 06 R6 raven (not the S model) for $7000 picked up with only 1200 miles. thats a steal! owner was a desperate guy, these bikes out the door were over 10k.

BPMKA24DE
11-07-2007, 12:56 PM

remember the safty rules! no fuckups with bikes! 50% death 50% injured in the best case...slowly go with youre pace...

take some track days to get the hang of it faster, it would keep you out of the problems in the city...

GSXR600 01 02 its a good start, the yamaha R6 from 99 to 03 or so thier front forks are to deep inside toward the radiator so you would "low side" easy, wont forgive you now if you want 1000 yamaha from 98 R1 and GSXR are great choices but get some experince before you go big stuff cause they are very very fast!

i started with a 125 Cagiva mitto 2 stroke(lov the 2 stroke)
moved up to 01gsxr600, 04 gsxr 600 later, 04 R1 and now looking into italian bikes, aprillia 1000, ducati 748S or 996 well see...

what ever you get make sure to get frame sliders, STEERING DAMPNER very important, and check the tires with youre nails make sure they soft, for start Dunlop 207`s are "ok" later you get faster go with the 208`s....try to use the side walls more than the midlle parts ;)
tires are the main key here, much much more than the car cause you have 2 wheels only, Dunlops are GREAT!

just pls slow down the pace and go with the flow, for the 1st 6 months!

B18C5MK1
11-07-2007, 02:46 PM

if you dont care what kind of bike it is, but want something cheap...

i'd say get a Royal Enfield (http://www.royalenfield.com/app/IN/).. i think they're pretty sweet. if your just looking for something semi-decent and cheap to get around on. i just ordered one with a sidecar. reminds me of the one from garden state.

here's a new royal enfield.
http://www.royal-enfield.com/images/Bullet%20Electra%20Clubman.jpg

or if you SERIOUSLY dont care.. haha go with Kymco. straight up korean. heck, they even have an automatic bike. :keke: though you might get laughed at while riding it, but hey, it was brand new and cheap. and thats what your looking for right?

go HERE (http://www.strmotorsports.com/) to find a kymco dealer near you.

http://www.strmotorsports.com/gallery/still/Venox_Blk.jpg

jackjack
11-07-2007, 02:58 PM
hmm.... i've always wanted one. just to cruise around/have fun with. i've never ridden before. i'm going to look into a ninja 250.

wootwoot
11-07-2007, 03:21 PM
Ninja 250 is just to fucking small. Not on the power side which it is definitely lacking in but its actual size. I feel like a beach cruiser is larger between my legs. I do like how a Ninja 250 does make me feel like my package is larger though...

89dc240
11-07-2007, 04:20 PM
Ninja 250 is just to fucking small. Not on the power side which it is definitely lacking in but its actual size. I feel like a beach cruiser is larger between my legs. I do like how a Ninja 250 does make me feel like my package is larger though...

Holy Crap, me too. HAHA. My junk was so much bigger, lol.

Nah I did have a 2000 Ninja 250 though. It seriously did lack in power, but I filled up the gas tank like maybe once a week if I beat on it the whole time. Which I did most of the time. And it probably saved my life by not being fast too. The nice thing about no power, is you can keep it up near redline the whole time. And it likes it, lol.

I'm 6'3" and 250 by the way. I wasn't cramped, but it was no worse than any 600 for a guy my size. I paid a grand, it was a trade-in at a Harley dealer, and that was about very early 2004. Had about 1800 miles on it too.

BPMKA24DE
11-08-2007, 12:05 AM
Holy Crap, me too. HAHA. My junk was so much bigger, lol.

Nah I did have a 2000 Ninja 250 though. It seriously did lack in power, but I filled up the gas tank like maybe once a week if I beat on it the whole time. Which I did most of the time. And it probably saved my life by not being fast too. The nice thing about no power, is you can keep it up near redline the whole time. And it likes it, lol.

I'm 6'3" and 250 by the way. I wasn't cramped, but it was no worse than any 600 for a guy my size. I paid a grand, it was a trade-in at a Harley dealer, and that was about very early 2004. Had about 1800 miles on it too.
lol you need Hayabusa bro! with turbo! lol jking

Naaa great start would be 500 twin anything, the ninja 250 its a p.o.s in general, unreliable, we had one in the shop the fucker was booking in every dmn week, u would fix something something els would go wrong, TRU P>O>S get a 01 GSXR600, and take it easy...

GSXRJJordan
11-08-2007, 02:07 AM
This thread is out of control. List your budget, riding experience, and size, those of us who actually ride will let you know what I (we) think is a good bike.

jdm538
11-08-2007, 02:35 AM
I'm relatively short (5'3"), so I'm trying to see what I can look for that won't be too hard for me to control. But that doesn't sound too bad. Probably after the new year I'll start saving.

im 5'5" so every sportbike i sit on im tip toeing. kawasaki is came out with a new 08 ninja 250r brand new is around $3k. perfect for beginner short riders i'm actually flat foot on it.

the best bike is actually the one you feel comfortable on dont listen to the mumbo jumbo of what is faster and which can turn the fastest because rarely will you be able to test that. chicken strips either mean you only ride straight or you are a weenie, tires dont lie <----read that on a 1000rr forum....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/joigold/08_Ninja250R_Right.jpg

jdm538
11-08-2007, 02:36 AM
please delete this double post sorry...

DRavenS13
11-08-2007, 02:45 AM
Hmmm... 5'5'' you say? 3k you say?

GSXRJJordan, what is your take on this? You seem to be the reigning authority on this so far....

89dc240
11-08-2007, 08:54 AM
If that's a pic of the new 250 Ninja, they've definitley come a long way since the 2000 I had. Draven, you could probably handle the 500 version as well. Get your ass over to the KAWI dealer and see if you fit. They don't mind you coming to sit on their lowest end model, lol. Plus, you can probably get like $59 a month payments at this point. They might even have some specials cause it's nearing year end, and bike sales are slow at this time.

jackjack
11-08-2007, 10:56 AM
thats why i'm thinking 250 08. dosent look bad at all. plus the fact that i've never driven anything bigger than a honda scooter (dont know anyone with a bike).

SHIFT_Slide
11-08-2007, 11:04 AM
It's been said quite a few times that you would be better off buying a used bike as your first bike. It's no fun having to pay for a bike even if it's $59 a month, eventually it will catch up to you. But if you have your heart set on that new Ninja, (It's really not a bad bike, great for beginners) then save up for a little bit and try to put the biggest deposit down you can afford.

Like 89dc240 said, go down to your Kawasaki dealer and sit on it, actually go to every local motorcycle dealer and sit on everything. See what you like the best. Theres no point in buying a bike because a few people say it's good for beginners, if you don't even feel comfortable riding it.

jackjack
11-08-2007, 11:47 AM
thanks for the heads up. i'll check into used as well.

GSXRJJordan
11-08-2007, 12:26 PM
I recommend paying cash for your first bike, because you can just carry liability/comp instead of full coverage ~ that saves you a lot of cash. If you can pay cash for a new bike, more power to ya.

The new Ninja 250 looks good, but those are much more practical for people that don't hit the freeway - they really suck once you get above 60 or so. Even though they are a little smaller than the 600cc class bikes, I still think you'd be much better off with a 4yr old or so 600 - they're just about the same size/weight, and you won't outgrow it in a month.

I'm all for people going out to sit on bikes before they buy em, but cmon, if you've never touched a bike that doesn't have pedals before, all motorcycles are going to feel big and uncontrollable. You're going to have to figure out how to keep it upright, and you're going to drop it in a parking lot/etc at least once. But yeah, if you feel much more comfortable with the new 250 than with a real 600cc bike, go for it ~

silviaguy240
11-08-2007, 12:37 PM
one thing i can add that i dont know if its been said yet, respect the bike and your riding skill. dont go out on the freeway if you've only been riding for a week and try to do a 70mph wheelie or hit 160mph on a strait away. you can ride any bike in the world that you want as long as you respect it and ride it correctly. thats the biggest factor in why people crash, is because they are doing something stupid or something they cant handle. ride the bike normally until you are really comforatable with it, then if you want to start pushing the limits then go for it. just dont be scared to hop on a 600 or 1000 because every one says they are too fast. they arent, if you ride it normally and dont fuck around you'll be just fine.

B Love
11-08-2007, 01:13 PM
Where is a good place in Cali to finance a used bike? or just find some decent used ones?

89dc240
11-08-2007, 02:20 PM
one thing i can add that i dont know if its been said yet, respect the bike and your riding skill. dont go out on the freeway if you've only been riding for a week and try to do a 70mph wheelie or hit 160mph on a strait away. you can ride any bike in the world that you want as long as you respect it and ride it correctly. thats the biggest factor in why people crash, is because they are doing something stupid or something they cant handle. ride the bike normally until you are really comforatable with it, then if you want to start pushing the limits then go for it. just dont be scared to hop on a 600 or 1000 because every one says they are too fast. they arent, if you ride it normally and dont fuck around you'll be just fine.

R-E-S-P-E-C-T, found out what it means to me, lol.

I learned respect for the V-Rod the hard way. I also now respect how hard the ground is, and how good an idea wearing a helmet is, and boots, and a jacket, and how easily skin scrapes off and how long it takes the Coccyx to heal. (tail bone, lol)

jackjack
11-08-2007, 02:21 PM
great info. thread rocks.

DRavenS13
11-08-2007, 06:56 PM
As I stated before, I'm going to actively look into it after New Year's, I'm trying to collect as much information as possible before I start looking. I want to know exactly what I'm doing so I don't look/sound like an idiot. Usually people will take advantage of people that don't know anything about it (especially a female).

Keep with the info guys, I'm eating it all up. I will ask questions as they arise.

89dc240
11-08-2007, 09:22 PM
Oh shit, one thing I know, is they're gonna think you're an idiot anyway, lol. It's pre-programmed into a salesman. Helps them pass the day. Unless you know more than them, then you'll be the "Asshole".

*for the record* That would be, "in my experience"

B18C5MK1
11-08-2007, 09:29 PM
any good street bikes out there for a rider that's six six? (me)

i'm used to riding vespa's, but i'm always going up to encino and seriously, the 405 makes me want to kill myself.

i took my lambretta on the freeway once. it was 125cc but i bored it to and modded.. it was sweet. i could do around 80mph no problem... but haha, i tried to take it on the freeway and shoot, the grooves in the freeway tossed my little 12 inch tires all around. it sucked.

i need something bigger. safer. faster. funner.

any suggestions?

89dc240
11-09-2007, 07:33 AM
For a man of your size, I've only ever been truly comfortable on things like BMW's(Any). Suzuki TL1000's(not gixxer's or even a busa), and my all time favorite, dream bike, that one day I hope to find un-molested and low mileage and good condition. The CBR1100XX. My d**k is hard just thinkin about it. I'll be right back, lol.

Oh and honestly man,,, those must be some steel cajones you carry around, to be 6'6" and ride a Vespa. I mean, I don't give a shit what people think, but you take it to a whole nother level, lol.

B18C5MK1
11-09-2007, 09:10 AM
For a man of your size, I've only ever been truly comfortable on things like BMW's(Any). Suzuki TL1000's(not gixxer's or even a busa), and my all time favorite, dream bike, that one day I hope to find un-molested and low mileage and good condition. The CBR1100XX. My d**k is hard just thinkin about it. I'll be right back, lol.

Oh and honestly man,,, those must be some steel cajones you carry around, to be 6'6" and ride a Vespa. I mean, I don't give a shit what people think, but you take it to a whole nother level, lol.

thanks for the help man... yeah i've always liked bmw's. i've never sat on one though... i've heard good things about them though. maybe i'll check em out

hahaha. yeah. theres a bunch of us that ride around usually once a month in hollywood... we call ourselves the "midnight riderz"... because we start our ride usually at midnight... we dont always ride vespas, some times we just roll out on tenspeeds and beach cruisers. probs about 50 or so of us show up for these rides. i got off topic

here's my lambretta racer
http://a111.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/87/l_9cec16459ebb9c7fabb2b7997f0984fe.jpg

GSXRJJordan
11-09-2007, 03:30 PM
I'm 6'3", and I can't (read: refuse to) ride 600cc bikes. Just like 89dc said, the bigger framed bikes are more comfortable (Suzuki SV1000 works also, TL1000R was a cool bike but not fast - the Blackbird's a pig though) I recommend a Honda CBR900/929/954, though - great bikes, very predictable, very confidence inspiring... and big enough to not cramp you up.

tacotacotaco
11-09-2007, 05:16 PM
if it was street legal
http://www.aprilia.com/upload/modelli/road/p01199_0069.jpg
I had an rs50 when i was in lb for buzzing around the city so fun but weak.
http://www.maxmoto.co.uk/images/aprilia_rs_50_4l.jpg

11-09-2007, 06:41 PM
rs50's rock!

Way way way back I use to have a ysr 50. I was big time into it, built it up with Team Calamari stuff. Raced it for a year or so, until I crashed in one of the races, broke my clavicle and that was the end of that. :bigok:

kndacomplx you bastard! Now I am looking into getting another ysr50 to build up. So much fun to race I can stick it right in the van and head to the track.

http://www.ericloranger.com/HPIM0022.JPG

ca18guy
11-09-2007, 06:45 PM
I'm 6'3", and I can't (read: refuse to) ride 600cc bikes. Just like 89dc said, the bigger framed bikes are more comfortable (Suzuki SV1000 works also, TL1000R was a cool bike but not fast - the Blackbird's a pig though) I recommend a Honda CBR900/929/954, though - great bikes, very predictable, very confidence inspiring... and big enough to not cramp you up.

Through in a RC51 to round out that list, I've been obsessed with them for awhile :eek3:

sw20>>s14
11-09-2007, 06:52 PM
mmmm...V-twin =D

Taniguchi_Is_#1
11-09-2007, 08:30 PM
you guys and your motorcycles. i want one so bad next spring, for my birthday.

cbr600.

handguns.

liquor.

a match made in heaven. haha.

theicecreamdan
11-10-2007, 05:53 PM
I've been riding for about 2 months now. I found an 88 Honda VTR250 for sale down here for $400.

I've put 2000 miles on it since I bought it and I've been getting 50-60 mpg no matter where I go. Long rides up in the mountains or back and forth to work and school. No crashes and only one close call last week leaving work at 2:30 in the morning a drunk driver came up behind me with no headlights and got pretty close to hitting me. I saw him on top of a fire hydrant surrounded by cops a few blocks up.

My girlfriend has an 07 ex250 and its a great bike too. Not a lot of power but plenty of power to have fun with.

Hopefully I'll get a 600 early 2008.

GSXRJJordan
11-10-2007, 11:49 PM
^^^ two-strokes under 125cc (or is it 250cc?) ARE CA LEGAL. RS50s are excellent bikes to learn how to ride fast on. Shitty bikes to learn how to ride on, however (no torque, makes you learn proper gear selection when you should be worried about throttle application/keeping the bike pointed in the right direction/etc).

I think it's great that so many Zilvians are interested not only in riding, but about seeing what fellow riders say about different things. The sportbike community is filled with ignorance, just like anything else that's popular and dangerous, but there is a lot of good information here - the truth is, it's not the 90s anymore - it's almost impossible to get a BAD motorcycle now-a-days. Everything from Japan in the last 10 years is totally decent.

Look forward to seeing you guys around on two wheels :)

Jung918
11-11-2007, 01:01 AM
I just got a ex500. Fixing up bikes seems more expensive then fixing up my 240.
Anyone got a hookup with aria or alpinestar?

eastcoastS14
04-19-2008, 09:57 PM
bump it back up...that time of year again....and damn it I still want a bike, 2 of my boys broke out their bikes today and went out riding and damn it looks fun...got to check out my buddy's 05 gsxr600 so nasty, he took out a loan and is only paying like $150 a month on a 60month loan...im really considering it, especially the way gas prices are going....how much do you guys spend on gas for your bikes?

Gnnr
04-19-2008, 10:14 PM
The new Ninja 250R

http://photos.motorcycle-usa.com/2008_Kawasaki_250R_bluestat.jpg

Mmmmm, it looks pretty. I like the single headlight look. But the more I think about getting a bike, the more I realize drivers around here suck and i'll end up dead, and I'd rather pour money into a car. haha.

OurOnePassion
04-19-2008, 11:18 PM
Yeah. This crap kills me, seriously. I want a bike really bad, but ain't got the job to pay for it. Plus, I'm getting married in less than two months. And she doesn't like the idea of me on a bike.

(n)/(women + money) = fail

My friend got an '07 600RR a while back, but crazy stuff happened and I'm not sure of its current location. I got a chance to ride it while it was still tip-top though. Being 6'1", I felt a tiny bit cramped on it. But, if I were to get something with intentions of it being a street ridden bike, I think I may have to get a Triumph Daytona 675. Got plenty of tq and felt like it matched my squeeze a whole lot better than about anything else.

Another friend bought a brand new Ninja 650 the other day as his first street bike. Not a super-sport by any means, but he seems to like it. I've yet to see/ride it.

Aprilia SXV anyone? Yes, plz. I have an unhealthy obsession for motards.

CantSTOP
04-19-2008, 11:35 PM
....how much do you guys spend on gas for your bikes?

I put about like 12 bucks of 91 and it will last me a week, now I ride 20-40miles a day...

Helghast
04-19-2008, 11:39 PM
I own an '07 Ninja 650r.
First bike.
it's like .. sport touring.

It has great low-end torque, perfect for just around the city.
I love it.
I'm actually about to break it out sometime tomorrow.
I has to get battery for it, I let it sit too long.

Andrew Bohan
04-19-2008, 11:50 PM
how the hell do you have an 07 bike with a dead battery already?

ride that shit!

OurOnePassion
04-19-2008, 11:55 PM
Or at least get a battery tender!

Edit: Just realized it's 4-20 here! Happy Day, fellas.

Jung918
04-20-2008, 12:58 AM
For those that are looking for a first bike, check out a hyabusa. The perfect bike for those looking to get the hang of bikes.

Andrew Bohan
04-20-2008, 01:29 AM
can i hire you for my next bbq? we could use a brilliant comedian like you!

GSXRJJordan
04-20-2008, 03:18 AM
... and it's spelled wrong.

The $64k question is: who can tell me what "hayabusa" means, without googling?

i need tires
04-20-2008, 03:45 AM
dont get anything less than a 600cc bike... anything less you will kick yourself in the ass when in 6mo or less you actually know how to ride lol

GSX or F4i CBR best choices hands down!

womenbeshoppin
04-20-2008, 05:02 AM
... and it's spelled wrong.

The $64k question is: who can tell me what "hayabusa" means, without googling?
peregrine falcon, i used yahoo.

eastcoastS14
04-20-2008, 08:03 AM
dont get anything less than a 600cc bike... anything less you will kick yourself in the ass when in 6mo or less you actually know how to ride lol

GSX or F4i CBR best choices hands down!

I feel like this sometimes....like some bike prices around here are out of control, so Im thinkin damn if Im gonna spend $3500 on a 97 cb750 which is the type of prices ive been seeing lately, I might at well suck it up and spend 5k on an 04 gsxr 600, one of my friends just picked up an 05 gsxr for 5k and its mint

eastcoastS14
04-20-2008, 09:52 AM
also question......how well to frame sliders work if you tip your bike? obviously I dont mean if your riding and dump it hard but say if your coming to a stop and you lose your balance...how well will frame sliders protect your bike??

also can ppl please post good websites for bike parts like exhausts etc and helmets and stuff?

Vision Garage
04-20-2008, 10:28 AM
frame sliders will help your bike big time in case of a tip. If youre fairings arent mickey mouse painted and OEM it would be a good idea to get them. 600 dollar fairings take a toll on your wallet!

Oh yea, im riding an 07 GSXR 600.

skithesteel
04-20-2008, 10:39 AM
Picked it up last week after a 4 month wait from putting down a deposit.. couldn't be happier with it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/pinballwizard/DSC_0278.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/pinballwizard/DSC_0284copy.jpg

SpeedMonkeyInc
04-20-2008, 10:52 AM
GSXRJordan has a lot of good advice. Thanks for helping to clear up mis-information.

I disagree in some ways though. Modern sport bikes are intense machines. They are pretty easy to ride fast because they are so well designed. And that is the problem I think. Put a newb on a fast bike and it is easy for them to out ride their skill level and not even realize it. It is my opinion that a 600cc sport bike is not a good choice for most new riders.

My friend bought a Ninja EX500 as his first bike. That was a really fun bike to ride. I would recommend that as a first bike. Light weight, easy to handle, and just enough power that you won't be bored with it next week.

I like SV650s too. Soft suspension soaks up road bumps and rider mistakes. And you won't out grow it as fast as a small Ninja.

I own an SV650. It is my first bike and even though it leaves a lot to be desired ( soft suspension and underpowered ) it is still a blast to ride. I have only ridden a few different bikes at this point, and all but the EX500 where much faster than my SV650. So far I have more fun riding slow bikes fast than I do restraining a fast bike. I have only been riding a year and a half, so my skill level obviously will have a lot to do with that opinion.

One thing I don't like seeing in this thread is "buy a cheap bike because you won't care if you dump it." Wow. Its fine if you don't care about the shit you own, even if it was cheap. But you MOST CERTAINLY should care about going down. The physics of crashing are beyond humans. A 20mph mistake could kill you in the right situation, regardless of gear. By all means buy a cheap bike as your first ride. Because you probably are going to drop it at a stop light at some point.

For anyone thinking about riding, you really gotta want to ride. Getting bumped on the freeway could end your life, or render you financially ruined thanks to hospital bills and or liability. What if you crash and end up bed ridden for 3 months? Can you afford that? These are the realities of riding. That being said, I love riding and can't imagine what would make me want to give it up.

SpeedMonkeyInc
04-20-2008, 10:55 AM
also question......how well to frame sliders work if you tip your bike? obviously I dont mean if your riding and dump it hard but say if your coming to a stop and you lose your balance...how well will frame sliders protect your bike??

also can ppl please post good websites for bike parts like exhausts etc and helmets and stuff?

They work. Folding rear sets are also a very good thing.

http://www.kneedraggers.com/

http://www.motostrano.com/

http://www.cyclegear.com/

Gunot
04-20-2008, 03:02 PM
CBR FTW!!!

i own a "slightly" modified and stunted 1998 CBR 900 RR. if its your first bike i would say F3 or F4I, depending on your cash flow. if not then 900+. you'll get tired of 600s really fast.

89dc240
04-20-2008, 03:24 PM
bikebandit.com

cyclegear.com is another great one. I have ordered from them, the shipping was fast, the parts were right and the price was better than bike bandit. This was all on OEM parts for an old yamaha I fixed 2 years ago for a guy.

Now, he asked me today if I would give him a couple hundred bucks for it. Its a 750 v-twin cruiser and it aint a rocket but it'll do the trick and for only $200, I'll jump on that.

GSXRJJordan
04-20-2008, 06:18 PM
GSXRJordan has a lot of good advice.

It is my opinion that a 600cc sport bike is not a good choice for most new riders.

My friend bought a Ninja EX500 as his first bike... I would recommend that as a first bike.

Me too ~ but they look lame, and young guys don't want to blow cash on something that's gonna get them laughed at by other riders (even if they deserve it), and not get them as much pussy. But yeah, they're fabulous first bikes.

I like SV650s too... And you won't out grow it as fast as a small Ninja.

There are amateur racers that go pro with only an SV650. They're awesome bikes to learn to race on, but on the street, I'd say they're not any safer than an old literbike, say a CBR900/929.

Frame sliders save the frame and upper fairing from touching, unless the bike goes 'topsy turtle'. They're a good addon.

Get on the bike forums for the type of bike you have, too. Gixxer.com is my fav, but there's a ton of squids over there...

89dc240
04-20-2008, 07:52 PM
I'm a gambling man and would wager that more than ninety percent of you don't care about a little website called badweatherbikers.com aimed towards the Buells. There not for everyone, just the people that enjoy the ride over havin the utmost of power. However, the torque you can make is nothing to shake a stick at. And a slightly modded older(tuber) style Buell will put lengths on a few year old Busa off the line until it starts gettin up there in the R's. Thats with only a few more than 100hp. And very streetable.

Vtwinforums.com has sections for import bikes but is mostly Harley friendly. The people there are very helpful if you're not an idiot. None of those here I see...:p

Anybody interested in Harleys or Buells at all?

GSXRJJordan
04-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Anybody interested in Harleys or Buells at all?

Harley: yesterday's technology at tomorrow's prices.

Buells are unreliable pieces of crap - the only good thing about them is you can use your Dad's old SAE tools on them.

rainier
04-20-2008, 09:09 PM
i like harleys and cruisers, but most that i want are wayy over what i would spend for them

anyone looking for a older model sportbike with newer model'd plastics!
im trying to upgrade.

http://a493.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/92/l_8cc643c17f0a4cd27ec2f21167af1824.jpg
http://a217.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/114/l_343c00fa2e9e53926e91ec16ef60ade8.jpg

WanganRunner
04-21-2008, 10:04 AM
I'm thinking of getting an actual motorcycle, but it'll probably be a '70's Honda CB. I know they can be a pain, but I've got a real thing for older bikes. I also like the idea of building something up before getting on it, as it's nice to know how whatever machine I'm in/on works from the inside out.

I've also entertained an '08 250R, just because they're cheap, they look sweet, they're cheap to insure, and they depreciate slowly. They're also supposedly fun and flickable on a track, and the only reason I'd ever buy a sportbike is to take it to the track.

Either one would feel fast as shit to me. I ride a 50cc Ruckus that tops out at 45mph on flat ground, lol.

s14_legend
04-21-2008, 10:15 AM
Yamaha YZF-R6 thats what i would rock

SHIFT_Slide
04-21-2008, 12:07 PM
Just picked this up last night

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/4677/dsc04709au6.jpg

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/1826/dsc04711exa2.jpg

Aprilia RSV Mille R

If anyone wants more pics just ask.

!Zar!
04-21-2008, 01:09 PM
They work. Folding rear sets are also a very good thing.

http://www.kneedraggers.com/

http://www.motostrano.com/

http://www.cyclegear.com/

And look who it is.

haha.

Lets go riding!

GSXRJJordan
04-21-2008, 01:26 PM
Just picked this up last night
Aprilia RSV Mille R

I used to love the Aprilia 1000s... that bike handles pretty damn well, and looks/sounds sexy as shit. Make sure to keep the valves checked, their intervals on that gen bike are like 6k miles or something extremely dumb.

Moarrr zilvia bikerzzzz. :naughty:

SHIFT_Slide
04-21-2008, 03:52 PM
I used to love the Aprilia 1000s... that bike handles pretty damn well, and looks/sounds sexy as shit. Make sure to keep the valves checked, their intervals on that gen bike are like 6k miles or something extremely dumb.

Moarrr zilvia bikerzzzz. :naughty:

Aprilia 1000s need to be heard in person to fully appreciate them, it confuses most people when they hear it. You don't expect the tone of it by the way it looks.The valves need to be checked every 9,400 miles so it's not too bad.

SpeedMonkeyInc
04-21-2008, 05:01 PM
And look who it is.

haha.

Lets go riding!

You bet your ass! haha

Yeah lets. Um, going to Japan this week. Then finals. Then ride.

What are you riding anyway?

!Zar!
04-21-2008, 05:03 PM
Damn. You're busy.

I'm rolling around on a r6 at the moment.

jackjack
04-21-2008, 05:24 PM
ungh. pics rock. i'm going "shopping" tomorrow. we'll see.

89dc240
04-21-2008, 06:51 PM
Well, I can't deny that Buells break down, but its semi-related to the care they get in or out of a dealership. Unfortunately nobody likes to work on them in a dealership cause they're not as familiar with them, and they're pissy cause it aint a H-D.

As far as overpriced, yeah well, no argument, lol.

Doesn't bother me, I can fix em.

Sweet Aprilia

SpeedMonkeyInc
04-21-2008, 06:58 PM
Damn. You're busy.

I'm rolling around on a r6 at the moment.

Yeah, hella!

R6. Sick. How do you like it? Compare it to anything else?

eastcoastS14
04-21-2008, 08:26 PM
Im thinkin Im gonna sign up for the glass in the next few weeks see what I can do and hopefully get a bike within the next month or so

!Zar!
04-21-2008, 09:36 PM
Yeah, hella!

R6. Sick. How do you like it? Compare it to anything else?

More comfortable than a kawi by far.

Power is a tad weak and twitchy. But enjoyable never the less higher up in the revs.

Haven't ridden the older cbr's too much, but the new one is noticeable more nimble.

I like the r6. But later on I plan on getting a new cbr.

Can't resist it.

lol.

Vision Garage
04-21-2008, 09:47 PM
Haha. I learned how to ride on my BUELL BLAST!! Hahaha. My friend told me it was a good learning bike. A lot of my friends learned on this bike too.

eastcoastS14
04-21-2008, 09:54 PM
can anyone give me a comparison of an 04 gsx-r 600 to an 03 cbr 600rr?

SHIFT_Slide
04-21-2008, 10:19 PM
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/7564/dsc04721wu7.jpg

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/8769/dsc04724gj3.jpg

mmm Öhlins. Got a Öhlins steering dampener too.

cdlong
04-21-2008, 10:22 PM
Haha. I learned how to ride on my BUELL BLAST!! Hahaha. My friend told me it was a good learning bike. A lot of my friends learned on this bike too.

i think that bike would be sweet if it didn't look like a kids version of their other bikes or a pumped up 50cc moped. it's so tiny it looks comical. unfortunatly their bikes go from the tiny little blast to a full line of 1200cc bikes. they have one 1000cc bike but really, how about a middle range?

so i'm looking at a SV650...

blu808
04-21-2008, 10:51 PM
Just picked up my new motard bike. Its going to be street legal, motard. I will keep the dirt setup around for off road fun, and motard at the local track days.

Well here it is. A 99 yz 400f.

Finally got a dirt bike after being without one for 4 years.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g204/turboskeet/04-21-08038.jpg

!Zar!
04-22-2008, 12:45 AM
Damn.

That Mille has some cash into it.

Don't crash it.

I'm going to get a motard next. Shits too much fun.

SpeedMonkeyInc
04-22-2008, 12:56 AM
Dear god that Mille is straight hotsauce.

GSXRJJordan
04-22-2008, 02:50 AM
All the Mille R's had Ohlins suspension. The '04+ had a Mille R Factory option that added carbon fiber fenders, Ohlins front/rear, forged magnesium wheels, and an Akropovic exhaust, which gave it about 140rwhp - for a mere $18k.

I was about to buy one - then I bought a gsxr1000 for 9.8k out the door, that could and did spank any Italian bike.

Luke I'm jealous - you're gettin all the bike angles covered!! Motards are stupid fun... two words - 'urban off-roading'. Do it. Take pics getting 5 ft of air coming up a flight of stairs. Do it.

nismo tuned s14
04-22-2008, 11:52 AM
has anyone had a first-hand experience with the 2008 ninja 250r? they look nice, im just afraid after a month or so ill want something bigger.

GSXRJJordan
04-22-2008, 01:19 PM
So what if you do want something bigger? There's always people that want to buy a Ninja 250, so if you keep it in good shape you won't lose much money.

If you can find one used, that's even better - usually you can buy them, learn to ride on them, and sell them without losing anything (as long as you don't trash it).

89dc240
04-22-2008, 07:17 PM
Im thinkin Im gonna sign up for the glass in the next few weeks see what I can do and hopefully get a bike within the next month or so

Better get movin. Most classes are probably filled more than a month in advance already. Around here you can fill up 2 classes in a day on a nice early warm day. Call around, see where you can get in. The more people see bikes on the road the more people want to sign up and the only bad thing is there's not enough room for everyone.

If I had time I'd teach the MSF course. I know a lot of people on bikes with no training and they think they're just fine and nothings gonna happen to them. Stubborn if you ask me. They'll learn tho.

eastcoastS14
04-22-2008, 07:41 PM
yeah i checked it out and there are a lot of spaces open at places around me....im gonna sign up this week tho

Kaizen.
04-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Where is a good place to find used bikes online? Im located in Norcal-Sacramento. Ive just been searching thru craigslist. Looking for a 06 Gsxr in white/silver/black.

Vision Garage
04-22-2008, 10:50 PM
That might be hard to find Kidd. Try a dealership of some sort to find it easier. Not many people have the white color scheme.

Andrew Bohan
04-22-2008, 11:05 PM
custom scheme here we come!

nismo tuned s14
04-23-2008, 04:20 PM
So what if you do want something bigger? There's always people that want to buy a Ninja 250, so if you keep it in good shape you won't lose much money.

If you can find one used, that's even better - usually you can buy them, learn to ride on them, and sell them without losing anything (as long as you don't trash it).

good point. i'd like to buy one this summer slightly used. the trick is finding a used one around here. after about a year or so i'd like to move up to a 600.

+ rep

eastcoastS14
04-23-2008, 06:16 PM
got my permit today....had it before but it expired.

signed up for the license class for this sunday

GSXRJJordan
04-23-2008, 07:18 PM
Wow, signed up for a class same week? That's unheard of in the military, or in southern California. Good for you!!

On a side note, I taught Eulalia (David) how to ride his new R6 today, and broke in the tires/suspension/brakes for him. He's doing great! Zilvia riders are the best!

MikeisNissan
04-23-2008, 07:31 PM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/S14Kouki240sx/cbr1000rr_red_black.jpg
I want one of these.. Except i'll prolly end up killin myself on it..

eastcoastS14
04-23-2008, 10:35 PM
lol so heres a question....how did everyone's moms feel about them getting a bike hahaha....my dad is cool with it, but needless to say my mom is noooot happy about it at all, every single one of my boys says the same thing tho, I mean Im obviously getting to the age where my mom cant really stop me from doing things but it sucks that itll be a huge fight and she'll worry a lot

im guessing most of your moms arent crazy about the idea.....

not that any of this will stop me lol

Andrew Bohan
04-23-2008, 10:45 PM
i think my mom wouldn't really care if i told her
back in the day she used to date guys who rode, so she has some idea about bikes

my dad on the other hand would not like it at all.
he was never into bikes, and he's worked at hospitals the past 40 years, so he sees what happens when you eat it hard.

the drawback is that the ONLY bikers he ever sees are the ones who ate it hard enough to come to the ER.

but statistically that's a small percentage.

maybe 75% of riders go down sometime or another, but a huge chunk of those riders don't get hurt enough to go to the ER.

but to him, 100% of all riders go to the ER, so it skews his perception a lot.

blu808
04-23-2008, 10:47 PM
Well parents will always worry. And they should. I invite everyone considering getting a bike to goto www.southbayriders.com and click on the accidents forum. There have been like 11 deaths in 2 weeks in my area alone. These are the real deal. If I hadn't been riding since 11 years old I would have died by now. Im fortunate to have ridden for many many years in the dirt.

Also another thing. If you ride, you better accept the risk. If you die, you deserved it for throwing a leg over a bike in the first place.

If I die on a bike, good. I died doing what I love. after 100k+ miles on the street it was worth it.

And here is the number 1 reason why people die on bikes... Young people die on bikes.... EGO.

First rule of staying alive on a bike. Check your EGO at the door. ie. showing off gets you dead.

Again.

Showing off gets you dead.

And I said DEAD.

No joke guys.
again.
No joke.

And i should mention this rule before all else.
Never let anyone buy/cosign/anything a bike for you. If you die (which you should expect too) then they will feel responsible.

spoolandslide
04-23-2008, 11:09 PM
http://creativebits.org/files/images/vespa_superman.preview.jpg

eastcoastS14
04-23-2008, 11:21 PM
yeah I mean hopefully I can stay safe....ive never had an ego when it comes to shit like that and i think my parents know it too. Even back in the day when my friends would rip through traffic in their cars Id hang back...plus Ive been in two serious car accidents so I know what speed can do even in something with a full frame and windshield...Ive already told my friends that if i get a bike im hangin back and they wont catch me doin that 100+ on the highway shit

spoolandslide
04-23-2008, 11:36 PM
there is a lure to motorcycles like there is a lure to drugs

im not saying i do drugs or want to do drugs just as im not saying i ride or want to ride motorcycles

you know that when your on a bike going 100+ on the highway, that feeling cant be beat
just like a heroin high

but both could kill you if your not careful, and sometimes even if you are

Andrew Bohan
04-24-2008, 12:08 AM
i dunno dude, heroin seems safer

i've never heard of some idiot sipping a latte and talking on the phone crashing into someone's heroin and killing them.

spoolandslide
04-24-2008, 12:12 AM
i dunno dude, heroin seems safer

i've never heard of some idiot sipping a latte and talking on the phone crashing into someone's heroin and killing them.

yeah actually a good friend of mine is in jail till october 2011 for killing his girlfriend with heroin

she wanted him to shoot her up
he did
she died
he is now in jail

Andrew Bohan
04-24-2008, 12:15 AM
i'm not saying no one dies from heroin, they do and it's sad.

but when they do, it's usually because of themselves or someone directly involved with it.

not random other people in the area not paying attention, like what often happens with bike crashes.

spoolandslide
04-24-2008, 12:19 AM
they are both dangerous and should be treated with respect

SHIFT_Slide
04-24-2008, 05:23 AM
Both my parents ride and have been riding since they were kids, I was taught at a verrrryy young age so they've always been cool with it. They know all the dangers, I do too. As much as it is ego, it's just as much people out riding their skill level.

ClutchKickThatBitch
04-24-2008, 09:10 AM

well i know alot of ppl that ride bikes and they always tell me if you never owned a bike before to get something that you know you can pick up because you will be dropping it alot.

!Zar!
04-24-2008, 11:57 AM
It all depends on the individual. I know people who have never ridden a bike, and went out to buy a liter bike and haven't dropped it yet, all the while taking it to the track. Is it smart, hell no.

But as they say, it isn't a matter of if you drop it, it's a matter of when you drop it.

Most people think you will drop a bike at high speeds, but most drops happen at 0-15mph. That's also happens to be what the MSF course focuses on.

To whoever said the comment on the ninja 250r, you can sell that in a heart beat and make most of your money back. There is so much demand for them. Not to mention how much demand there is for the 08 model. You would not regret buying it. Trust me. It will have plenty of power for you.

sunnys14
04-24-2008, 12:17 PM
You have to be doing something pretty stupid or just have plain old bad luck to drop a bike a high speeds.

Zar is right, most drops happen at low speed (someone cuts you off while you're turning and you lock the rear brake...etc)

MSF will teach you how to fall, they will teach you to slide if you fall off your bike, not tumble and roll (because rolling if you fall at 35mph breaks bones).

I crashed into a side of a car at 45mph, some stupid cager turned right in front of me and I had about 0.0000354546 seconds to react. Made it out alive with a titanium upgraded left forearm and shattered left wrist. The bike on the other hand was....

rainier
04-24-2008, 12:42 PM
i bought this beauty as my first bike
http://a184.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/59/l_7fd0733cd559b19f29f22a905e80ae07.jpg

it was 2400 i believe back in 05(bike was an 05) with 4000 miles
i did a few minor mods, undertail, blinkers, hollowed the exhaust, took off all stickers and added black stickers on the tank to make it all black like that.

sold it a couple months after, with 3000 miles more. for 2800.

not bad. it ran perfect, kept its value, and taught me the do's and dont's that you gotta learn on your own. If i started on a 600, and i made the mistakes i did on that ninja, i prolly wouldnt want to ride anymore. haha

i dont see why someone would need the newer 250r unless your deciding on keeping it. i know it will hold some of its value, but if someone were to buy it new, they'd loose a lot if they wanted to sell it.

GSXRJJordan
04-24-2008, 01:27 PM
i bought this beauty as my first bike...it was 2400 i believe back in 05(bike was an 05) with 4000 miles...sold it a couple months after, with 3000 miles more. for 2800.

BAM! Awesome :)

Luke has some great advice about checking the ego at the door. Like Luke I started riding/racing dirt bikes at a young age, so I've always felt 'comfortable' (not saying I've never scared the shit outta myself) on fast bikes. That being said, I do dumb shit when cars roll up with video cameras/etc.

Lucky me, I've only crashed doing 'dumb shit' once, but falling off doing a highchair @ 80mph really changes your perspective on the value of stunting/showing off at all. Pain hurts. Self-inflicted pain hurts more. Seeing your bike in pain hurts the most.

So yeah, buy those Ninja 250s, get comfy, and then pay cash for a used literbike. That's JJordan's path to success for Zilvia riders.

innovation
04-24-2008, 07:05 PM
I'm actually interested in buying a sports bike myself. Yet knowing no one who rides or anyone with any prior experiences has detoured me. So I have a few questions if you guys don't mind answering.

In regards to best bang for the buck in terms of manufacturer who would you recommend?

What year bike is considered too old to buy? (Is it wise to buy a '98 older)

What can I expect to pay for a used bike in the Socal area? Also, where is the best place / website to shop around?

Also how reputable are the Yamaha brand sports bikes?

Sorry for the questions, but I truly am interested and am in serious consideration of getting one.

SHIFT_Slide
04-24-2008, 07:30 PM
All of those questions were already answered in this thread, I suggest you read it from page one. Lots of good info.

eastcoastS14
04-24-2008, 07:56 PM
just hopped on my boys zx9r and took it up and down his street....its an older one but i felt relatively comfortable on it.....makes me think i could tool around town on a 600 relatively easily....although i would probably stay off the highway for a little bit

innovation
04-24-2008, 08:09 PM
All of those questions were already answered in this thread, I suggest you read it from page one. Lots of good info.

From what I gathered when I read the thread several times before I posted was one individual saying:

"kaw's are cool... best bang for the buck... you could always spend 500 bucks and just get a 70's bike to learn and ride on.."

But that is just one persons opinion, I'd like to broaden my question and get more peoples perspective.

In regards to my next question I gathered wishy washy responses. Nothing definite just the older the used bike the more chance it was dropped. Now I was hoping for a more definite in terms of whether it is taboo to buy an older bike or not and inadvisable.

Sorry for coming off like a total scrub, but I truly did read the thread and found a few select responses. Anyways thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions SHIFT_Slide

eastcoastS14
04-24-2008, 08:31 PM
you have to take everyones adivice for what it is....no one can give you a 100% definite answer on whats better or wat to do or not to do...half the time ppl will tell you a 600 is fine to start and the other half will tell you no way (and with good reason) but you could get a 6 and not crash or get a ex250 and crash...from what ive seen bike choice is personal preference....some of my friends had older gsxrs and loved them and to me just sitting on it was too awkward....assume that everyone in this thread who rides knows more about the subject than you or I do and seriously consider what everyone says...but at the end of the day its gonna come down to your decision

innovation
04-24-2008, 08:37 PM
Oh, I come to this thread as humble and unknowing as can be, believe me. Eastcoast thanks for the quick response. Thanks for the personal opinion, thats what im looking for tbh. Ultimately, you are right though. the choice lies with me. Anyways, thanks again for your responses keep them coming!

!Zar!
04-24-2008, 09:23 PM
Just because you rode the bike for a short time doesn't mean you can't crash.

Really it comes down to how well you can manage the power when riding after a while.

You'll notice the power even more mid corner when you'll going through the twisting.

eastcoastS14
04-25-2008, 01:07 AM
nah i know that...i mean my main concern is the weight and the awkwardness of riding as a n00b but i keep testing out my friends bikes trying to get the hang of it....obv i kno riding up and down the street is not a representation of what can happen but it lets me know that its not as awkward as i previously thought

eastcoastS14
04-25-2008, 03:29 PM
so heres another question...is it legal to ride an ATV on the street? Just wondering cause it seems like they have everything a bike does, lights horn(i think) etc and seem way more stable but wondering why Ive never seen anyone on one before

Andrew Bohan
04-25-2008, 03:45 PM
does it have turn signals and a license plate?

SHIFT_Slide
04-25-2008, 03:47 PM
Quads are the opposite of stable when they're on the road. It's waaaaaaay to easy to flip one on the street. Most only have lights, but you could legalize one if you wanted to. Baja Designs makes street legal kits for most offroad bikes and Acerbis makes head lights and tail lights.

GSXRJJordan
04-25-2008, 03:49 PM
Nah ATV's have got to have a lot to be legal - they basically have to pass smog. You can search for Red Sticker vs Green Sticker stuff on offroad vehicles - Green Sticker OHV's can be made street legal if they have lights, turn signals, a horn and a mirror.

eastcoastS14
04-27-2008, 07:28 PM
took the classroom part of my riding school today....it was pretty good, lots of good info to know...i really think everyone should take it if they are thinking about getting a bike, can wait to take the riding part

GSXRJJordan
04-27-2008, 08:35 PM
took the classroom part of my riding school today....it was pretty good, lots of good info to know...i really think everyone should take it if they are thinking about getting a bike, can wait to take the riding part

hehe the riding part will be grueling, especially if it's hot. I used to teach the MSF class, on Norfolk Naval Base and NNSY (Shipyard).

Glad you learned a lot, and I'm sure you'll put it all to good use on those piddly little 125cc's tomorrow.

eastcoastS14
04-27-2008, 08:47 PM
yeah....not takin it for another 2 weeks, I enjoy stuff like that but ugh it starts at 6:15am, lol 1 kid showed up late to the class today and the instructor wouldnt go open the door for him, we were upstairs in a building and he was throwin rocks at the window trying to get our attention, finally someone from the office went and let him in lol

eastcoastS14
04-27-2008, 10:37 PM
hey btw what brand stuff are you guys wearing? helmets, gloves, jackets, boots/shoes?

blu808
04-27-2008, 11:14 PM
Get the best stuff you can afford. When I first started riding street I had 2k worth of gear and a $1500 bike.

I wear:

Helmets: 2 Arai 1 Suomy
Boots: Alpine stars
Gloves: Alpine stars
Leathers: Dainese

!Zar!
04-28-2008, 12:13 AM
Helmet: Suomy
Boots: Sidi
Gloves: Dainese
Leathers: Dainese

Yeah... gear is expenseive.

But oh well. Rather not experience road rash.

Andrew Bohan
04-28-2008, 12:32 AM
alpinestars jacket
alpinestars gloves
icon helmet
steve madden sweetass boots with gothic crosses and brass rivets and shit (need some real bike boots) haha

Modrified
04-28-2008, 01:33 AM
Alpine Star everything for me and Arai helmet.

!Zar!
04-28-2008, 01:41 AM
California special.

Helmet: Sun glasses is all I need. That and the wind through my hair.
Boots: Dunks.
Gloves: Why?
Leathers: Uhh. I have a leather wallet. But I wear a wifebeater and a shorts.

eastcoastS14
04-28-2008, 11:30 AM
Is there any difference in quality in DOT approved helmets? Just wondering why there is such a huge price gap between something like an arai thats like $600 and an icon that is like $280???

also is there any difference safety wise between leathers and textile jackets...I was looking at some joe rocket jackets the other day and they seemed really lightweight but i didnt know if the fabric would still protect you in a fall, with all the technology that goes into fibers now who knows

also anyone know anything about these??
http://www.rideicon.com/product_details.jsp?category=1241&id=5833

they look pretty cool and i figure wearing one couldnt hurt, also I kno a kid who dumped his bike in a tunnel last year and he was wearing something like this so it got rashed bad but his chest was fine

!Zar!
04-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Well, helmets just need to pass a minimum safety standard which is what the tests are. Dot is just a single drop in one spot. So while a helmet may be fine there, it could potentially be worse off in other areas of impact.

The higher end helmets tend to be lighter, constructed better as well as don't have any issues like fogging up, letting rain in, wind coming from under the helmet and such.

For the higher end helmets, aside from model, paint jobs can affect price.

Icon is ok. I'm not crazy about their helmets.

I'd suggest getting an Arai, Suomy or, a Shoei.

Andrew Bohan
04-28-2008, 01:12 PM
textile jackets are generally considered single crash. ie, you crash one and it disintegrates enough so you can't use it again. good leather will give you a good number of crashes before it's too beat up to use. that is also where things like dainese's awesome stitching come into play. good stitching keeps the pieces together as you're sliding down the pavement at 80mph

!Zar!
04-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Sliding down the pavement at 80mph.

Full body drift!!!

cdlong
04-29-2008, 01:11 AM
ok, in depth question for you guys. how strict are the rules to import and register motorcycles compared to cars?

i've been looking at buying a bike here in Korea (i'm US military stationed in Korea until this summer) and taking it back to the states with me. i found a 1994 CB400 on craigslist that i don't think was ever sold in the states (if i'm wrong, this is so much easier). getting it shipped back is easy, i'm just wondering how i'm going to register it.

an opinions on the bike specifically or that model would be appreciated too.

here's the link.
http://seoul.craigslist.co.kr/mcy/625690442.html

cool paint job. probably custom, it even has time attack wheels!
http://w2.bikepics.com/pics/2006/11/13/bikepics-722312-800.jpg

GSXRJJordan
04-29-2008, 02:00 AM
Sliding down the pavement at 80mph.

Full body drift!!!

There's really no way to do it and look cool.

Andrew's 100% right here. Textile jackets, even with all their armor/etc, fall apart after a crash. My Joe Rocket "Nicky Hayden" replica (a high end leather jacket, retail probably >$500 in 2003) has lasted me through 5 years and multiple crashes, one of which at about 80mph.

Helmet fitment is much more important than helmet cost, and about 80% of riders have a helmet that is at least one size too big - you want the helmet to fit the crown of your head perfectly, with your cheeks being pressed in while it wraps comfortably around the back of your neck. Someone who knows helmets will know when you have one that fits.

Gloves are the most under-rated piece of equipment: they hit the ground every time you crash, and if you fuck your hands up in a crash you're screwed. I mean, do you know how hard it is to get someone to type on zilvia while your hands are messed up?

Get a jacket that you like, that fits you well, and some good gloves, and a helmet that fits. If you want to have fancy replica gear (like I did, at one time), buy last year's models from newenough.com or similar sites and save 50%.

GSXRJJordan
04-29-2008, 02:02 AM
ok, in depth question for you guys. how strict are the rules to import and register motorcycles compared to cars?

i've been looking at buying a bike here in Korea (i'm US military stationed in Korea until this summer) and taking it back to the states with me. i found a 1994 CB400 on craigslist that i don't think was ever sold in the states (if i'm wrong, this is so much easier). getting it shipped back is easy, i'm just wondering how i'm going to register it.

an opinions on the bike specifically or that model would be appreciated too.

here's the link.
http://seoul.craigslist.co.kr/mcy/625690442.html

cool paint job. probably custom, it even has time attack wheels!
http://w2.bikepics.com/pics/2006/11/13/bikepics-722312-800.jpg

It's generally not worth the shipping cost, to be honest - you can find that same bike here for like $2k in great shape. Butttttt....

If the military's paying (or you're going to try to include it in your HHG, like I did), go ahead. Registering bikes is a cinch - you show them a title, with a VIN or some sort, and they give you a plate. There's no smog check on used bikes, so don't worry about any of that. If the bike doesn't have a VIN, however, you'll need to have one stamped on, and that can be a pain.

cdlong
04-29-2008, 02:31 AM
thanks for the quick reply. it's definitely going with my HHGs. i might bust the weight limit, but not by much. did they sell this model in the states? all my searching has led me to sites in other countries. unless this bike is a good deal or unique in some way, it's probably not worth it. i'll only be here for another two months and i've done fine without a car so far.

BTW, the pic i posted isn't the one for sale. the one listed is $1800 (could probably get it for $1500) and has some minor cosmetic damage.

Vision Garage
04-29-2008, 11:47 PM
Okay, heres one for you, How long to warm up bike? I do to about 100-120. Then light driving (under 6-8k) until 150-160. Then good to GO! GO~! GO!!!!

Andrew Bohan
04-29-2008, 11:50 PM
as soon as i turn it on, i ride like normal.

and here are pics so you don't kill me

http://www.laboratory17.com/stickerbike.jpg

then i put a fart can on it. lol
http://www.bohanindustries.com/muff1.jpg
http://www.bohanindustries.com/muff2.jpg

Vision Garage
04-29-2008, 11:56 PM
Awaiting video of drifting bikes....???? I know some of you crazy mofos try that shit.