PDA

View Full Version : BMW 1-series US brochure released.

Yuri
10-12-2007, 04:01 PM
I'm sure any of you with an interest in small FR turbo coupes has been following this car. The Brochure has been released!
As it turns out the 135i is about 300lbs less than a 3-series.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1685

kyoru
10-12-2007, 04:11 PM
135 i have my eyes on you...

EroGori
10-12-2007, 04:24 PM
135 weights 3700 pounds?? no thanks

VROOOM
10-12-2007, 04:27 PM
the ad says 3,332 not 3700

BustedS13
10-12-2007, 04:30 PM
3300 pounds for something that expensive? no shanks

VROOOM
10-12-2007, 04:32 PM
a corvette weighs 3,217 whats the difference

Yuri
10-12-2007, 04:37 PM
3300 pounds for something that expensive? no shanks

$33k for a 3300lb FR coupe with a twin turbo six that has 5-second 0-60 times and handles well?

I don't see what the problem is especially since the average price of a new car nowadays is around $30k.

VROOOM
10-12-2007, 04:39 PM
$33k for a 3300lb FR coupe with a twin turbo six that has 5-second 0-60 times and handles well?

I don't see what the problem is especially since the average price of a new car nowadays is around $30k.

sounds like some serious fun!!!!

ayuaddict
10-12-2007, 07:20 PM
looks really cool. too bad i wont be able to consider buying one until they are 20 years old.

powersteeringless180sx
10-12-2007, 07:26 PM
looks like a stubby 3 series. looks okay i guess

sw20>>s14
10-12-2007, 07:31 PM
love the view from the rear and profile shots, but the front kills it for me...im sure itll grow on me...

itll definitely make a big splash into the market for the car enthusiasts approaching 30 that dont want evo/stis, but still cant afford caymans or m3 coupes...

VB13
10-12-2007, 10:02 PM
God Damn Thats Shit Is Tigh!!!!!!

ronmcdon
10-13-2007, 08:36 PM
maybe i missed something, but i didnt see any pricing info on that brochure.
that's what im concerned about most. my estimate is around 35k give or take. id be impressed if it went for 33k.

other than that, i think the brochure is missing a lot of details.
no mention of whether i-drive is optional or not (but its in the pics)
no mention of lsd
no mention of what brakes used in the 135
sucks that electrical steering seems standard.
no mention if the fuel pump and oil cooler issues of the 335/535 have been addressed (just dont trust bmw with turbocharging for the moment).

good news is that a good deal of accesories (power seats, leather, etc), seems optional. that should keep the price down somewhat.
should be interesting to see how this turns out.

chibo
10-13-2007, 09:14 PM
Std. Equipment:
- 17" All-Season Tires
- Sport Multifunction Steering Wheel
- Dynamic Stability Control
- Wood or Aluminum Trim (Alum. Trim may not be ready at SOP - Start of production)
- Auto Climate Control
- Foglight
Optional Equipment:
- Automatic Transmission
- Active Steering
- Comfort Access
- Boston Leather
- Navi w/ iDrive
- Premuim Sound System
- HD Radio
- iPod/USB Adapter
- Satellite Radio
- Xenon Headlights
- Park Distance Control (rear)
Cold Weather Package:
- Heated Front Seats
- Ski Bag
- Fixed Headlight Washers
Premuim Package:
- Garage Door Opener
- Auto Dimming Mirrors & Compass
- Power Seats
- Lumbar Support
- BMW Assist
- Boston Leather
Sport Package:
- 17" Wheels w/ Performance Tires
- Sport Suspension
- Sport Seats
- Shadowline Trim
- Paddle Shifters (with AT)

Std. Equipment:
In addition to 128i Coupe
- M Aerodynamic Kit
- M Sport Suspension
- 18" Wheels w/ Performance Tires
- Sport-Tuned DSC
- High-Performance Brake (6 Piston) Brakes are devloped for BMW by Brembro. Painted calipers with BMW lettering.
- Xenon Headlights
Optional Equipment:
- 17" Wheels w/ All-Season Tires (no-cost)
- Automatic transmission (QSII - Faster shift program. Has been available on the 335i since 03/07)
- Active Steering
- Comfort Access
- Boston Leather
- Navi w/ iDrive
- Premuim Sound System
- iPod/USB Adapter
- Satellite Radio
- Park Distance Control (rear)
Cold Weather Package:
- Heated Front Seats
- Ski bag
- Headlight washers not available (due to aerokit)
Premuim Package:
- Garage Door Opener
- Auto-Dimming Mirrors & Compass
- Power Seats
- Lumbar Support
- BMW Assist
- Boston Leather
Sport Package:
- Sport Seats
- M Sport Steering Wheel
- Shadowline Trim
- Increased Top Speed with Oil Cooler
- Paddle Shifters (with AT)

that's what im concerned about most. my estimate is around 35k give or take. id be impressed if it went for 33k.

Optional
no mention of lsd
There will be none, same as the 335i. I don't think BMW wants this eating into the M3 sales when it turns out to be a better deal on paper.
Look above.
Well yeah, but the good part is that the active steering is optional.
no mention if the fuel pump and oil cooler issues of the 335/535 have been addressed (just dont trust bmw with turbocharging for the moment).

good news is that a good deal of accesories (power seats, leather, etc), seems optional. that should keep the price down somewhat.

WERDdabuilder
10-13-2007, 09:20 PM
this shit right here guys...

finna sell like hot cakes.

s13rookie
10-13-2007, 09:37 PM
I dont think it will come in at 33k. I doubt it will come in at under 37k ( the turbo model at least).

The weight isnt that bad, ecspecially with 300hp to move it. And bmw knows how to build well-handling cars.

For the money though, id rather go with an e46 m3, and keep the 10k

brewster240
10-13-2007, 11:15 PM

no mention of lsd

i drive is optional
no lsd
6 piston front brembo's, 2 piston rear brembo's
electric is bmw's system of choice for power steering, z4's have it, 3 series have it, mini's have it. they are phasing it in.
fuel pumps have been updated, havent heard of a problem in a while
oil cooler was a problem with non sport package auto's. and only if the customer beat on the car. if so, bmw retrofited a cooler on.

DreamN
10-14-2007, 12:36 AM
Would have wished it was more around the 3k lbs mark though. It's definitely a car I'll be test driving once the dealers have them that's for sure.

10-14-2007, 09:25 AM
If I was to buy a new car this would be it. Specs look good on paper and the photos/video look great. The rear window to trunk area looks kinda strange to me, don't know what it is. Sick car!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX8JrKfqqk8

ronmcdon
10-15-2007, 12:04 AM
ah shoot, so bmw gives us the open diff yet again. any aftermarket alternatives avail? last i checked, quaife didn't have any helical lsds avail for the 335 on their homepage, but a casual google search came up with this; http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43031

I think its almost safe to assume that might also work for the 135.
$1,500 ain't cheap for even a quaife, but at least its a viable option.

don't know if clutch-types are avail either.

Farzam
10-15-2007, 12:15 PM
I should show this to my sister.

Yoshi
10-15-2007, 03:59 PM
I should show this to my sister.

Wow, so much love here and so much hate in the Evo X thread... what's that about? "Prestige" points aside, i'd take an Evo X over this thing any day... wtf. Almost everyone I know with a BMW spends WAY more time/$ than they ever thought in the shop...

you have to wonder about their buisiness structures... with Honda/Toyota/Nissan, you're buying a name that implies reliablity and longevity.
With BMW and Mercedes you're purchasing a very nice, yet arguably far less reliable car, HOWeVER, you ARE paying for hte premium "service" that comes with bringing that car to the dealership when the turbo invariably does nasty things (for example). It's a different mentality about what you're purchasing.

Personally I'd rather NOT have to give repeat business to the service dept. if I can possibly help it. Most of us 240 folks are more about DIY than the "throw $ at it and it SHOULD go away" method of car ownership.

All this aside, this thing is FUGLY.
I don't care how many of you disagree with me. The headlights alone make me wanna yack. As if BMW doesn't already have a rep for blinding headlights, those things are Huge! ...as if it's eyeballs were going to pop right out, maybe it's just me, but I think it looks mentally challenged LOL!... I dunno, to me it looks like a bastard child of a 3-series and an Audi... and let's not forget the stigma that will probably follow these like the boxster and that tiny Merc. 1st thought from the majority of people who'll see you on the road (road, NOT track)
"look at the poser who couldn't afford a REAL bimmer"
I really can't count how many times I've heard that uttered by "real" porsche/Merc drivers...
*sigh* oh well. At least there's 1 more FR chassis born into the world... glass half full ya?

Yuri
10-15-2007, 04:35 PM
^I used to own an evo.
If it weren't for the 10 year 100k mile drivetrain warranty, I'd be saying the same thing about reliability.
The reason I sold it was the syncros started to go out on 3rd gear, but the dealership couldn't replicate it.

I think BMW has a pretty decent warranty at this point, and they also have free service for quite a while.

Having them fix it when it breaks is one of the benefits of new car ownership.

If I were to buy a new car right now, the 1er, Z4 coupe, EvoX and Challenger would be at the top of the list.

But I do need to hang on to the Duster in case of EMP attack.
I've seen Jericho. Gotta be prepared y'know.;)

ronmcdon
10-15-2007, 05:26 PM
*sigh* oh well. At least there's 1 more FR chassis born into the world... glass half full ya?

that's the way i see it too. as appealing as the new car market is today, the turbocharged FR choices are limited. the entry price is reasonable that u can prob compare it to EVO/STi. I own an sti myself. If I were to trade my Sti for a 135, it would prob be for the rwd, and additional comfort that the 135 provides. I don't intend on doing that anytime soon, but its certainly not out of the question either.

Take it for what it is. the 135 isn't such a horrible choice. as a matter of perspective, i see it as something that's speculated to be reasonably priced, quick, comfortable, refined, rwd, turbocharged, with a reasonable curb weight (by today's standards anyhow). Overall its a nice performance package, regardless of the manufacturer.

brewster240
10-16-2007, 01:15 AM
blah blah blah?

4 year/50k miles warranty and service.

everything is covered, cept for tires and alignment. if you bitch enough you can get them too.

yes, that includes free brakes, oil services, wipers, everything.

SHIFT_*grind*
10-16-2007, 07:47 AM
I don't particularly like the way it looks (too much like a bubble in the middle) and it would be nice if it were actually lightweight, but other than that, I guess it's alright.

A new car that can truly be considered "lightweight" is almost a pipe dream, anyway. :(

s13rookie
10-16-2007, 08:17 AM
I think people are worrying too much about the weight of the car. You dont need a light car for it to handle well, just as you dont need huge displacement to make large power.

I would guess that 3700lb "boat" would outhandle 80% of the cars on this forum bone stock.

jackjack
10-16-2007, 11:31 AM
i dig it. looks good.