PDA

View Full Version : Advice on issue with Verizon Wireless

94cc0rd
10-10-2007, 12:13 PM
Alrite I need some advice on how to go about this or if I'm just SOL...

I renewed my 2 year contract with Verizon Wireless about 2 months ago and upgraded my phone. I changed my mind and decided to go with a new phone/carrier and asked around (including a manager at an authorized Verizon Wireless store), if I would be charged any fees for canceling my account. I was told from everybody that as long as I was within 30 days of renewal, I could return the phone / cancel the account with no fee.

Long story short, I canceled my account, returned my phone and got my money back, but now am being charged a $175 early termination fee. I called Verizon today and the guy I talked to says that I was still bound to the 2 year contract when I renewed it so the fee is valid.

Can anyone give me any advice on how to go about getting the fee waived?

FaLKoN240
10-10-2007, 01:15 PM
Alrite I need some advice on how to go about this or if I'm just SOL...

I renewed my 2 year contract with Verizon Wireless about 2 months ago and upgraded my phone. I changed my mind and decided to go with a new phone/carrier and asked around (including a manager at an authorized Verizon Wireless store), if I would be charged any fees for canceling my account. I was told from everybody that as long as I was within 30 days of renewal, I could return the phone / cancel the account with no fee.

Long story short, I canceled my account, returned my phone and got my money back, but now am being charged a $175 early termination fee. I called Verizon today and the guy I talked to says that I was still bound to the 2 year contract when I renewed it so the fee is valid.

Can anyone give me any advice on how to go about getting the fee waived?

Don't know anything about your question, but I was just curious who you went with, what plan and phone you got?

How much you paying a month? We were in the same boat a little while ago.

94cc0rd
10-10-2007, 01:25 PM
I got a Helio Ocean with the $65 All-In membership but I'm returning/canceling this one too. I like the phone but it's just too big/bulky/heavy, and it freezes up for 5-10 seconds quite often when I'm using AIM or text messaging which is really annoying.

I decided to go with the Sprint Sero plan which is $30/month for 500 minutes, unlimited texts and data, with a Sanyo Katana DLX. I haven't gotten it yet so I can't say anything about it, but I already know that the reception is pretty good since Helio uses Sprint's network.

On Topic: I called the Verizon store where I returned my phone and am awaiting a return call from the manager. I really hope she can waive the fee or credit my account or something. I'm going to be really mad if I have to just waste $175.

Daniel.
10-10-2007, 01:44 PM
You have to go back to where you purchased the phone, and talk to the rep who activated your new phone. He most likely did not submit the form that reverts your contract back to what it used to be before you upgraded.

If you went to a corporate store, this process should be easy as they keep records of EVERYTHING they do. If you went to a shitty authorized dealer, then good luck to you...

94cc0rd
10-10-2007, 01:52 PM
I bought the phone online... so I had to call an automated number to activate the phone.

But, what the Verizon customer service rep said was that with a 2 year contract renewal, you don't get the 30 days to cancel your account, only to return the phone that was upgraded... When I was told this from several people, It was made to sound like I had 30 days to cancel the account as well.

VROOOM
10-10-2007, 02:02 PM
why do you go through so many phones??

94cc0rd
10-10-2007, 02:15 PM
I've just been very indecisive... I went with Helio because I wanted a phone that could "do more". It has the full qwerty keyboard, google maps + GPS, internet, all for just $65.

Then after using it for a while, I noticed some bugs in the phone that really bugged me (some may be able to live with it) and the battery life bugged me too.

I knew about Sprint SERO this whole time but for some reason went with Helio. I regret doing all of this too, but I'm hoping I will be happy with the Katana DLX and I will definately be happy paying $30/month.

Tops*
10-10-2007, 02:27 PM
Verizon's a bitch! Their customer service sucks. I've been with them for 3 years and 10 months and I'm switching over to Sprint after my 2-year contract is up (have to wait or I'm going to be charged the $175 for cancellation). The antenna on my phone broke off and Verizon didn't do anything to help me out. They told me I'd have to pay retail on the Motorola E815 (current phone)...wtf.

As for the advice...I don't have any helpful words. Just Verizon sucks balls. Hope you get everything worked out, good luck.

Daniel.
10-10-2007, 03:29 PM
I bought the phone online... so I had to call an automated number to activate the phone.

But, what the Verizon customer service rep said was that with a 2 year contract renewal, you don't get the 30 days to cancel your account, only to return the phone that was upgraded... When I was told this from several people, It was made to sound like I had 30 days to cancel the account as well.

This may be a new Verizon policy. I'm not too sure.

From my experience working in the wireless industry, if you are a customer who purchases a phone in california, you have the right to return an item/restore a contract to it's previous state within 30 days of the original purchase.

I would call Verizon customer service back and demand them to rescind your termination fee and if they still refuse, just keep escalating it.

Sil-Abc
10-10-2007, 03:50 PM
if u have the phone activated for over 30 days u will be charged with the early termination fee. no way to go around it, u signed a contract, ur screwed. im sorry. IF u returned it within the first 30 days of having the new phone or renewal of contract then u do not get charged with the fee.

94cc0rd
10-10-2007, 03:50 PM
What do you say to them when the guy keeps saying, "Sorry, There's nothing we can do about it".

94cc0rd
10-10-2007, 03:54 PM
if u have the phone activated for over 30 days u will be charged with the early termination fee. no way to go around it, u signed a contract, ur screwed. im sorry. IF u returned it within the first 30 days of having the new phone or renewal of contract then u do not get charged with the fee.

So are you 100% sure it's like that even if it's a renewal of contract?

94cc0rd
10-10-2007, 04:48 PM
Sometimes you want to fucking murder the dumb POS that's telling you you owe $175, and sometimes you want to hug and love the awesome hot-sounding girl that just waived the termination fee AND MADE YOU $10 and took care of ALL your problems...

So, I called the Verizon store where I returned my phone again, they told me that when I returned my phone, I was still bound to my first contract (2005-2007) because they allow upgrades 20 months after your contract.

So I call Verizon customer care, talk to a dumbass, ask for a manager, get transfered to another person who told me my 2 year contract from 2005 ended Oct. 7th, and that she could waive the termination fee, bill me for the 13 days, and cancel my account. The waived termination fee ended up taking care of the 13 days AND I'm supposedly going to be receiving a check for around $10 for the credit back to my account.

I love that girl I just talked to...

so yea... time to go to school/work...

Daniel.
10-10-2007, 05:26 PM
Congratulations. It's always tough to win when you're dealing with the wireless industry.

SochBAT
10-10-2007, 11:45 PM
within 30 days = legit. Email Verizon ECare to get shit squared away.

if that doesn't work, call up Verizon CS, talk it out.

Make sure you head to consumerist.com and check up on the latest VW news.

Alot of times, you can bring up shit like text price increases, mention you don't like that shit, and cancel your shit without early term. fee, because they're changing the terms on you, and if you don't agree, its okay.

PM/IM me if you need more help.

The best way to do shit = CS/Email.

DRavenS13
10-11-2007, 12:03 AM
Big ups on that. You have to be persistent when dealing with call centers. I used to work at one, and I'll tell you- the more persistent you are without being insulting or rude, the more they're gonna want to help you. They keep track of who you talk to, and how many times you call back. You will seriously fuck up someone's call stats if you keep calling back, and it will just irritate them all around. Ask to speak to supervisors, managers, just keep going higher and higher up the chain of command. If you know you're right, you will eventually get what you deserve.

Terminus2k
10-11-2007, 12:49 AM
yeah, i work in a verizon retail store, and we get people all the time that expect us to do anything for them. granted if you have a legit request, and arent a complete piece of shit while asking for it we will do it.
I wish i would have read your post earlier, i would have done it for you. Also, im glad you squared away with everyone what the hold up was. If you renew before your contract is up, and you want to cancel before your contract would be up, you will be charged. however, if you upgrade after your contract is out, you DO have 30 days to return/cancel, and if you wish to do so, there is no penalty, except your bill..
also, the reason you are getting a credit, is because in wireless, you are always billed a month in advance, so when you cancel halfway during the month, they take that out of what you have paid, and send you a check..
makes you feel like free money, doesnt it.
anyway, if anyone has any questions about billing, screw our call centers, they all hate their lives, pm me, and ill see about fixing anything for you guys.

94cc0rd
10-14-2007, 01:48 AM
Dang.. I was happy this was over and ignored this thread. Thanks guys.

Yeah, I was getting really mad over the phone and I was talking to the first or second representative and this person was seriously dumber than all the other people I've talked to. He was telling me false information and it almost seemed like he was making stuff up as the conversation progressed.

Anyways, I asked to speak to a manager in sort of a rude tone because I was just really pissed off. Finally, the manager picked up and I barely got to say a single word. But she was really nice and said she'd transfer me to someone who could help me further which she did. The agent that finally helped me out was super nice, and took care of everything for me.

One thing I don't get is, she said that she would credit my account back for the early termination fee which would take care of the 13 days of service I have to pay for and there would be a remaining 10 dollars or so that would be mailed back to me. The thing I don't get is, I never paid the termination fee, so where does this credit come from? Or is this credit from the month of service that I had already paid before? That's what I'm thinking it is...

Oh well, I'm just glad that this was all taken care of...

Now I'm having issues with Sprint porting my number to my new Sprint phone... I received the phone Oct. 10 and the number was supposed to be ported when I got the phone. I called 3 times already and it's still "in process".

I need to cancel my Helio account before the end of this coming week or else I get hit with a legit early termination fee....

SochBAT
10-14-2007, 01:53 AM
I used to be a CSRep for a while, and i know how tiresome that shit can get.

email ecare. They take care of you ASAP.

PS. Whenever ANY rep helps you out in a really good way, make sure you ask for his/her employee ID/Number, and mention you're gonna write an email thanking them to their managers etc etc etc. They're highly likely to make note that you're a good customer, etc etc etc. Helps you later on if shit happens.

I never knew you lived in upland. I work @ the Starbucks off Mountain & 6th. HOLLA!

Terminus2k
10-14-2007, 10:15 AM
i didn't know we could credit it back to the bank account. learned something new today. As far as your port, im assuming you did not cancel the service you had before you ported to sprint? i have seen issues before with this, if the number has been canceled already.

94cc0rd
10-14-2007, 09:18 PM
The credit was to my "verizon" account which is now closed, which is why I am getting a check in the mail. So it's not to a bank account.

As for the port, I have not cancelled the Helio account yet because I know that if I do, I will lose my phone number. But, If the number isn't ported in a few days, I'm going to have to lose the number or lose $200...

I talked to a Sprint rep today and she pissed me the fuck off... I asked to speak to a manager and she kept asking me why, when she knew fully why. I had to ask three times before she put me on hold to get a supervisor but she came back after about 10 minutes saying all the supervisors were busy talking to other people so I got mad and hung up. I know, I know, I should've asked for her name and employee ID or whatever and gotten her ass fired but I was just soo pissed off... GAHHHHHHH

SochBAT
10-16-2007, 01:34 AM
Holla. Honestly, if the first person doesn't do it for you, hang up, call again.

Its a call center, so you're gonna get someone else that will likely help you.

If you need talkin to those cats, holla, i'll pretend to be you, or call on your behalf.

DRavenS13
10-16-2007, 01:53 AM
Sprint was rated to have the worst customer service, so the next time you call, ask to speak to a supervisor right away. If the CSR asks why, tell them that your account should be notated about the situation, and that you shouldn't need to have to explain yourself again. Call from a landline so you don't run the risk of your phone losing signal and having to call back. If they say that all the supervisors are helping other customers, WAIT ON THE LINE. Like I said before, all the call times are monitored and recorded, so you will fuck up the rep's call stats. The longer you wait, the more pressure the rep is gonna feel to get that super on the line.

94cc0rd
10-16-2007, 02:37 AM
I normally would have waited, then talked as much shit about the previous rep to the supervisor, but I really didn't have time.

I really need to start taking down names and employee ID numbers or whatever. That's one thing I liked about Helio customer service. When they are about to hang up, they say, Thank you, my name is blah blah and my id number is blah blah.

Anyways, I finally got my number ported and everythings working fine.

But now because of sochbat, I want to switch phones again... :(

GAHHHH

driftn_silvia
10-17-2007, 03:16 PM
well i used to work for radioshack...(king of wireless) lol...but an individual can cancell the line or wireless phone within 14 days of activation with no cancellation fee...($175.00),but 30 days to return the phone. or exchange the device incase its defective. its sneaky stuff that reps of wireless phone dont tell u. or the wireless employee.

it depends on what the value of the phone that was givin at renewal, if its too late i would just pay the cancellation fee. then sell the phone at the value it is without a contract once it has a clean esn...(phone is clean) just too get some of the loss taken.

SimpleS14
10-17-2007, 04:15 PM
You had the phone for two months...that is longer than 30 days....or am I missing some info here? Usually I go to the store to handle it, not something via phone.

SochBAT
10-18-2007, 03:01 AM
Centrooooooo.

DRavenS13
10-18-2007, 09:53 PM
its sneaky stuff that reps of wireless phone dont tell u. or the wireless employee.

Yea, and it's that sneaky shit that get the CSRs at the call center pissed off because then the customers cuss THEM out and have to fix all the mistakes the people at the stores make.

94cc0rd
10-19-2007, 11:39 AM
centroooooooooo!!! i got it :)