PDA

View Full Version : Jackie Chan not a fan of Rush Hour

Matej
10-05-2007, 04:03 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/10/01/people.jackiechan.ap/index.html
I have newfound respect for him.

HONG KONG (AP) -- "Rush Hour" put Jackie Chan in Hollywood's major leagues, but the Hong Kong star isn't a fan of his successful action comedy franchise.
Chan said when he made the first installment of the "Rush Hour" series in 1998 he only wanted to test the U.S. market and didn't have high hopes.

"When we finished filming, I felt very disappointed because it was a movie I didn't appreciate and I did not like the action scenes involved. I felt the style of action was too Americanized and I didn't understand the American humor," Chan said in a blog entry on his Web site seen Sunday.

The actor said he made the sequel because he was offered an "irresistible" amount of money to do it and made the recently released third installment to satisfy fans of the series.

Chan said "Rush Hour 3" was no different from the first two installments for him.

"Nothing particularly exciting stood out that made this movie special for me ... I spent four months making this film and I still don't fully understand the humor," he said, adding the comedic scenes may be lost on Asian audiences.

Chan's comments came even though the "Rush Hour" series, which revolves around the racial humor stemming from the pairing of a Chinese (Chan) and a black (Chris Tucker) police officer, helped the action star cross over to mainstream American audiences.

"Rush Hour" was Chan's first movie to break $100 million at the U.S. box office, earning $141 million, according to the box office tracking Web site, Box Office Mojo. "Rush Hour 2" made $226 million and "Rush Hour 3" has earned $137 million so far.

Chan has been known to be blase about his Hollywood work. He said in a 2005 interview with The Associated Press that he uses the high salary he earns in the U.S. to fund Chinese-language projects that truly interest him.

He also showed little enthusiasm for his latest Hollywood project, "The Forbidden Kingdom," which marks his first on-screen collaboration with fellow action star Jet Li.

ThatGuy
10-05-2007, 04:06 PM
This doesn't surprise me at all.

ManoNegra
10-05-2007, 04:15 PM
^Same here. I mean, English isn't his first language. I also bet that many Americans that see his Hong Kong films - aside from the action - don't really get them either. Nothing wrong with what he is saying, just like a lot of American actors take the big blockbuster job just so that in turn they can support their pet indy projects.

karl wasabi
10-05-2007, 04:24 PM
haha. I thought he was always having a good time. I guess he is just respectful like that... Untill he gets back to his homeland. lol.

Matej
10-05-2007, 04:24 PM
The reason I have respect for him is because he publicly came out and said that he doesn't like his own movies. Most actors would come up with lies about how their movie has great values or whatever because they're afraid of angering their sponsors or losing their contracts, even if they personally know their movie is garbage and they're only in it for the money, but Jackie Chan just goes out and says that he doesn't like Rush Hour, which I think took courage.

ewuzh
10-05-2007, 05:40 PM
He also showed little enthusiasm for his latest Hollywood project, "The Forbidden Kingdom," which marks his first on-screen collaboration with fellow action star Jet Li.

I wouldn't be very enthusiastic either. Most, if not all, of Jet Li's American movies have sucked pretty bad. Only good movie he's been in for the past 6 years is Fearless...and that's because it wasn't American.

I've always found Rush Hour to be mildly entertaining, but they are nothing compared to his HK work.

ixfxi
10-05-2007, 05:54 PM
He's a sellout for taking the cash. BUT, a sellout in my opinion, is someone who is easy to walk-over and take advantage of.

So in all honesty, he isnt a sell-out. He's smart because he's the one with the cash.

Good stuff. Sounds like a businessman with heart and some honesty.

IIIXziuR
10-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Chan rocks.
I seen a few documentaries on him and he just wasn't pleased with how Rush Hour was filmed, as he is used to directing/choreographing all of his action scenes.

I don't blame the guy he knows his stuff and how to make us all go "wow!" with his stunts and fight scenes.

jackjack
10-06-2007, 10:55 AM
i'm glad i'm not the only one that thinks the rush hour series sucks. i agree with what was said above also. i wouldnt go see an american jet li movie if you paid me.

NervGS
10-06-2007, 11:07 AM
Brett Ratner sucks.

-glenn

[w]hite[r]abbit[x]
10-06-2007, 11:31 AM
so when chris tucker said "do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth?"

jackie chan actually didn't understand his words

ayuaddict
10-06-2007, 12:16 PM
hite[r]abbit[x];1575824']so when chris tucker said "do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth?"

i must agree, chris tucker's "dialect" is usually hard to understand.

jackjack
10-06-2007, 01:07 PM
hite[r]abbit[x];1575824']so when chris tucker said "do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth?"

bwahahahaha :bigok:

FRpilot
10-06-2007, 01:08 PM
rush hour is ok to me. not super funny, but somewhat entertaining. the rush hr 3 was better than i expected, which i expected to be mediocre.

i understand why he doesn't understand the american culture/humor because my parents dont understand any of the shows on tv. all they watch are the chinese channels and abc/nbc/fox news.

probably the same way americans wouldn't understand british or japaense culture and humor. etc.

xblack240x
10-06-2007, 01:28 PM
He's a sellout for taking the cash. BUT, a sellout in my opinion, is someone who is easy to walk-over and take advantage of.

So in all honesty, he isnt a sell-out. He's smart because he's the one with the cash.

Good stuff. Sounds like a businessman with heart and some honesty.

I agree all the way... Jackie Chan did what he had to do... I love your posts and threads ixfxi :bigok:

kyoru
10-06-2007, 03:38 PM
jackie is awesome i respect him so much. i love the old school jackie chan movies, too bad doen't do as many stunts as he did before -- pure balls.

Phlip
10-06-2007, 04:01 PM
I would be tempted to call him a "sellout," but I can't...
While somewhat funny for a moment, Chris Tucker's bojangling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Robinson) (yes, that was a link) got old fast and by the time the 3rd movie came to pass, everything about them seemed to have become a setup to further his singing/dancing act. This, on the whole, made it get old just that much faster and, to anyone not raised in the states (and to many who WERE raised in the states), the "humor" in it is usually just completely missed by the viewer.
All in all, "I did this to get the money to do the shit I WANT to do" is the same shit that all of us who have ever worked a job we hate to get money to work on our cars have done, no?

illvialuver
10-07-2007, 12:03 AM
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f253/hadok3n_robb/jackie_chan.jpg

Jackie Chan is one of my alltime favorites, the first time he came to america his movie didn't sell at all, and the americans were very rude to him, but he believed that if he could make a successful movie anywhere. And after his first attempt at the market he waited 20 years to try again.
If you like the guys movies read his biography.
I grew up watching the guy, I first saw him in Cannon ball run, and since than have watch nearly all of his movies since than.

I think the latest Rush Hour, was the funniest, but his english has improved dramatically.

[w]hite[r]abbit[x]
10-08-2007, 10:13 AM
for your guys info jackie chan is only making american movies to make some money. jackie chan back in 98 or so. sometime in the late 90's got some broad knocked up and is still paying child support, court fee's and all that stuff. it was on tvb hong kong news and it was big at the time. that's why he made stupid movies like that one movie tuxedo.

so long story short. jackie chan is the chinese kobe bryant and has court fees and a broad knocked up with a baby girl who he's paying child support and stuff like that.

illvialuver
10-08-2007, 06:36 PM
jackie chan is not the chinese kobe bryant, I mean that is the biggest slander i have ever heard, the only thing good about kobe is that he has money he aint no jordan, and i wouldnt say jackie is a chinese kobe bryant, thats bs. I think he is just like the majority of americans. he was seeing a girl got her pregnant with two kids its life, its not like he cheated on her with some trailer trash ho from colorado, and had a fine ass wife at home.

and i doubt jackie chan would be dumb enough to pay a million for a ring, and make a perfectly good lambo to automatic he would teach the bitch to drive a stick.

but i understand, yes he was having relationship and parental responsibitliy problems. but he isn't hurting for money, he is one of the most successfull actors in the world.

jackjack
10-08-2007, 07:38 PM
he was a stunt man in enter the dragon with bruce lee. BADASS.

Phlip
10-08-2007, 07:51 PM
Now that the comparison has been introduced, let us think on this for a second.
Jackie Chan "allegedly" fathered a baby with 1990 Miss Asia Pageant winner Elaine Ng, while having been married to Lin Feng-Jiao, a Taiwanese actress since 1982.
I do not know what his wife or this other chick look like, but this is DAMN close to Jackie Chan playing "Kobe" to Bruce Lee's "Jordan."

[w]hite[r]abbit[x]
10-09-2007, 11:49 PM
Now that the comparison has been introduced, let us think on this for a second.
Jackie Chan "allegedly" fathered a baby with 1990 Miss Asia Pageant winner Elaine Ng, while having been married to Lin Feng-Jiao, a Taiwanese actress since 1982.
I do not know what his wife or this other chick look like, but this is DAMN close to Jackie Chan playing "Kobe" to Bruce Lee's "Jordan."

word. atleast someone agree's with me.

illvialuver
10-10-2007, 12:22 AM
still doesn't effect his movies or his greatness.
and Ill admit, I didn't know about the alleged incident with ng, so my bad, im sorry I just really like the guy, to me more than bruce lee, i think jackies movies are much better, cause bruce lees shit was too unbelievble, one guy vs an army is a bruce lee style movie, but I cant argue that bruce is better martial artist. but as far as movies go, I think jackie is the winner hands down. but thats just my oppinion.

so my bad in that situation jackie chan is like kobe bryant.

but I wouldn't say that he is like kobe in comparison to jordan , as far as skill or movie making ability.

ixfxi
10-10-2007, 12:53 AM
still doesn't effect his movies or his greatness.
and Ill admit, I didn't know about the alleged incident with ng, so my bad, im sorry I just really like the guy, to me more than bruce lee, i think jackies movies are much better, cause bruce lees shit was too unbelievble, one guy vs an army is a bruce lee style movie, but I cant argue that bruce is better martial artist. but as far as movies go, I think jackie is the winner hands down. but thats just my oppinion.

so my bad in that situation jackie chan is like kobe bryant.

but I wouldn't say that he is like kobe in comparison to jordan , as far as skill or movie making ability.

jackie chan is good, but bruce lee is GREAT. he's the original that set the mold for others to follow.

to me, a successor can never out-do the original. AND, even if someone manages to surpass their predecessor... you still have to have respect for them.

to me, you cant play the newest Super Paper Mario without knowing and having experienced the original Mario Brothers games.

"I don't know how you all see it, but when it comes to the children, Wu-Tang is for the children. We teach the children. Puffy is good, but Wu-Tang is the best. I want you all to know that this is O.D.B., and I love you all. Peace.

haha

jeeper_x
10-10-2007, 01:02 AM
^^^....um, jackie chan used to do the stunts for bruce lee whenever he did the HK movies...that was how jackie chan got into movie business...i watched his documentary some year back...Jackie Chan = Greatness...

illvialuver
10-10-2007, 02:11 AM
yeah Jackie Chan doesn't just film martial arts movies, he is an all around movie star, he has stunts(something Bruce Lee didn't do) and he also has comedy, and he has even done romance films.
I think if you have seen one Bruce Lee movie you have seen them all.
If you read Jackie's biography you would know, that Bruce lee actually did as much bad as he did good for the martial arts movie genre, because after his death, every martial arts movie wanted some Bruce Lee knock off. that is why there wasn't that many martial arts movie. And why it took Jackie so long to make a name for his self in the business.

I always hear shit from die hard Bruce Lee fans.
I mean as a martial artist he was the standard, and i would say still is.
BUT....as far as movies go, I think that Jackie is without a doubt the standard. His moves are cool too watch, but that is just it, the movie is not an hour and a half of wataahhhhs and kicks to the face. if it was maybe his movies would be better.
Now Jackie Chans movies are far better in my opinion because its not a one trick pony so to speak. I think Jackie Chan is to martial Arts movies, as Bruce Lee is to martial arts.

And if you look into it, Jackie Chan was there doing the stunts for Lee, and Lee got beat by Chuck Norris, and just look at Chucks movies, M.I.A AND THE TEXAS RANGER SERIES? come on, give me a break, those movies don't got shit on Jackie Chan.

sorry if I offend all the Bruce Lee die hard fans, but I did say he is the best Martial artist, and all though I am a huge Jackie Chan fan, I can't deny Bruce's greatness.

one last example. Michael Jordan is the best basketball player ever to live? I think 99% of people would agree. BUT when he played baseball he sucked, so you could not say he is the best athlete to live. his thing was basketball.

just like Jackie Chan's thing is movies, and Bruce Lee's thing is Martial Arts.

And yes I acknowledge Bruce Lee's influence on modern martial artist, but Jackie Chan has been making movies since the time of Bruce Lee, so Jackie has not modeled himself or his career after Bruce Lee. they are from the same era so it is not like Jackie Chan is jocking Bruce Lee.
in fact he has said that he respects Bruce Lee but prefers not to be compared to him. It was nice to work with him, but that is it, he doesn't want anything to do with him other than knowing him, because he is his own person.

Farzam
10-10-2007, 06:02 PM
I watched a Jackie Chan movie the other day...Thunderbolt

10x better than half his American films

ThatGuy
10-10-2007, 07:00 PM
Lee got beat by Chuck Norris

When?

I know that is only part of your post, but I am curious. When did Chuck Norris beat Bruce Lee?

Or are you talking Gross Profit and not Fighting?

jeeper_x
10-10-2007, 10:17 PM
^^^very untrue....Chuck was actually one of his students and including Kareem Abdul-Jabbar...."Jeet Kun Do", son....

illvialuver
10-11-2007, 06:31 PM
Oh here is the info of when mr. wataa was beat by mr. beard, and the powers he had before his total gym.

http://www.pencible.com/ninjas/best.htm

it was an actual match, and it was by point, and a win is a win.
and so a loss is a loss.

and for the comment about bruce lee setting the mold for jackie chan, that is total crap. because they were working together on some of his movies.

I honestly think Bruce lee is so big here, because he is american as where jackie chan is not.
but thats just anopther one of my opinions, where as bruce lee not setting a mold for jackie chan is a fact.
Jackie Chan's success is all thanks to himself and has nothing to do with Lee.

ThatGuy
10-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Thank you for clearing that up. I was unaware of that match.

While Bruce was not a point fighter, and Chuck was, you are right. A loss is indeed a loss. I believe I remember hearing an interview from around the same time though, where Chuck said Bruce's skill and speed were above his own. It seems it didn't matter in a points match. I also know that Chuck convinced Bruce to begin kicking above the waist. :bow:

I still hate all the nonsense "Chuck Norris" one liners out there. :keke:

illvialuver
10-12-2007, 12:59 AM
yeah me too, yeah the guy is pretty manley, but have you watch anything he did?
anyway, im just a martial arts fan and Jackie is my fav, Bruce is still great even though I dont like his movies that much, and jet li is badass. BUT i hate van damn and segal.

oh and i do like the old school samurai movies by sonny chiba.

Tearlessj
10-12-2007, 02:20 AM
I watched a Jackie Chan movie the other day...Thunderbolt

10x better than half his American films

The sped up race scene at the end ruined it for me. Not realistic at all.

In Rush Hour 3, you can kinda tell that Jackies age is taking a toll on him. Maybe that or he just doesnt like the movie like he stated. But you can really tell in RH3 that he didnt do as many stunts as most of his movies. I wouldnt be suprised if he retired soon. It will be the sadest day of my life. I dont think he can be replaced anytime soon. Tony Jaa possibly could, but wont be as great as Jackie Chan.

Gnnr
10-12-2007, 03:32 AM
Says the most painful of all the injuries he's sustained in his career happened on Enter the Dragon (1973), when Bruce Lee accidentally hit him in the face with a nun-chuck.

If you can take a nun-chuck hit from Bruce Lee to the face, you're cool in my book.

sw20>>s14
10-12-2007, 03:56 AM
Jackie Chan's success is all thanks to himself and has nothing to do with Lee.

seriously...not many people know the things he went through as a child and adolescent...he had a REALLY hard life and really rose up to the occasion to have everything he has today...much like most of HKs stars (e.g. jet li, andy lau, etc.) most grew up in poverty or had to literally dedicate their lives to something and earned their success...not everyone can be a paris hilton or karen mok born into wealth...

illvialuver
10-12-2007, 10:56 AM
some info for everyone, jackie chan was raised by his parents who worked for the french embacy in hk, and when he got too out of hand and too big they shipped him off too a acting perfomance/martial arts school, were he was beat and trained and alot of other shit, he attend the school with samo hung, which is why he refers to him as big brother. he was sepperated from his family for long periods of time growing up, and success didnt come easy thanks to the fact that the popular american chinese hk star Bruce Lee had dided leaveing all the dirrectors looking for the next dragon/bruce lee/ or wannabe, but Jackie was not any of those, he did stunts that no one else had the gut s or courage to do, and by putting his life on the line made a name for himself, than became a couriagrapher/ and didnt make any big movies untill he started to help dirrect the action scenes and do the stunts all on his own along with the main acting. he had to work hard and I think that he deserves alot of respect, he isnt just a martial artist in the shadow of the mighty bruce lee. No more than budduh is in the shadow of jesus or vice versa, they are the same but different. dont know if that is confuseing more than it ishelpful, its just a little info.

axiomatik
10-12-2007, 12:29 PM
some info for everyone, jackie chan was raised by his parents who worked for the french embacy in hk, and when he got too out of hand and too big they shipped him off too a acting perfomance/martial arts school, were he was beat and trained and alot of other shit, he attend the school with samo hung, which is why he refers to him as big brother. he was sepperated from his family for long periods of time growing up, and success didnt come easy thanks to the fact that the popular american chinese hk star Bruce Lee had dided leaveing all the dirrectors looking for the next dragon/bruce lee/ or wannabe, but Jackie was not any of those, he did stunts that no one else had the gut s or courage to do, and by putting his life on the line made a name for himself, than became a couriagrapher/ and didnt make any big movies untill he started to help dirrect the action scenes and do the stunts all on his own along with the main acting. he had to work hard and I think that he deserves alot of respect, he isnt just a martial artist in the shadow of the mighty bruce lee. No more than budduh is in the shadow of jesus or vice versa, they are the same but different. dont know if that is confuseing more than it ishelpful, its just a little info.

dude, there's 113 words in that sentence. try using a few more periods. that post is unreadable.