PDA

View Full Version : S13 Drag setup help!

rb25drag
09-23-2007, 08:09 PM
I currently am building my 1990 S13 hatch for Drag racing.
My current setup:skyline rb25det turbo charged inline 6 engine built to hold 750hp, manual transmission, Stock Ecu, AFC tuner, running 10lbs of boost and Estimated around 400WHP. Havent got it to a DYNO yet.
Internals: Stock factory forged Crank, Eagle Rods, Weisco forged pistons, Chromoly rings, ACL Race bearings Rod/main, Bored .020 over, Decked.002, compression raised from stock 8:6 to 9:1 Assembly balanced, 3 layer steel head gasket, ARP Head studs, Head has been re-surfaced and polished, New valves, seals, springs, retainers, Stock cams, HKS bullet proof timing belt, New gaskets from top to bottom. Stock turbo, Stock injectors. 1500$ Cusco Exedy stage 4 race clutch. Custom bent intercooler piping for FMIC, Electronic/manual Boost controller, HKS BOV, Z32 MAF, Walbro fuel pump.

Suspention: Tein lowering springs, Front /Rear strut tower bars, Custom Frame brace, Welded Differential, 17x8 in Front, 26x11.5x17 in rear, Brembo Slotted/Cross drilled Rotors, SS brake lines, Line lock.

My current setup has Went 8:10 @ 89 1/8 mile un-tuned and I was out of the throttle half track due to being sideways. My goal is to have a mid to low 6 sec car.

Im not sure if the RB tranny and the clutch setup is going to work. I need consistency and something that will hold alot of power. I Broke my Axles on my last pass at the drag strip. Im going to get the 1000HP axles and im thinking about doing the 350 turbo tranny swap. I need something I can build boost on the line with. Currently when I launch it is falling on its face. Any information about a tranny setup/ Drag setup would be helful!

KA24DESOneThree
09-23-2007, 08:25 PM
You're probably going to need some positive camber to counter the squat you're experiencing on launch.

I recommend a Mustang.

OurOnePassion
09-24-2007, 07:49 AM
^^^BOOOOOO!

No Mustangs! Badwrong. That is, if you are "recommending a Mustang" to get as a drag car.

daryl337
09-24-2007, 08:16 AM
im not a fan of mustangs myself, I just finished putting on a vortech kit for my friend on his 5.0 :0

KA24DESOneThree
09-24-2007, 08:24 AM
First, my mom would never get in the back seat of a car with Megan parts or +35 offset 17x8s.

Second, I recommend the use of something with a live axle as a drag car. The 240SX kinda sucks for the use and not many of us (read: less than 10%) give a damn about it, and thus not many of us know how to extract straightline power. Who cares about Mustangs, but they're used more commonly.

I recommend the use of aluminum subframe bushings as well as the camber change, and you can experiment with SPL's subframe shims to increase squat for better traction.

OurOnePassion
09-24-2007, 08:26 AM
I think I've only been in one mustang. Once. And I'm still sick from it. Half of the v6 mustang drivers are domestic ricers. What would that make them? What the hell comes out of america? You know, america is a weird word. :adhd whore:

rb25drag's rb is nasty mean. Promise. He doesn't need a mustang... just some supporting mods to allow his built-ass internals go nuts... and axles to keep it going straight. And more traction.

OurOnePassion
09-24-2007, 08:35 AM
First, my mom would never get in the back seat of a car with Megan parts or +35 offset 17x8s.

Why can't we all be friends?

I don't have the FN's anymore. And I'm getting the Stance setup after I rebuild the motor and do some much needed bodywork.

But it handled like a go-cart!

Anyway, I think the car will be pretty damn crazy when you figure out to do. I know it will be.

rb25drag
09-24-2007, 10:38 AM
The whole point of the build is to represent the 240 and its history and to show Domestic that we can make power and we can make them look bad with our 4cly and inline 6. Bottom line is when you go to a drag strip you never see an import do good and most of the time there whispering to there neighbor saying wat the F*** is this guy doing????? I want them to SH** there pants when they see a 240 doing something its not suppose to be!!! Im going to be different. When this 240 brings the front wheels off the ground and launches like a bat on roids I wanna see peoples faces drop.

Traction is not the problem!!! it use to be with my 8 inch slicks but since I upgraded to 11.50 its doing just fine. The problem is in the future keeping the drive line together. When I start making over 600WHP stuff is going to start to break and I wanna prevent that before it happens. So far the Driveshaft and Differential as been the two weakest links. Coming soon 1000HP axles and Aluminum driveshaft. I gotta be able to build boost on the starting line. In order to do this I need a 2 Step which most of the time does not work and wont build the boost I want. Or a auto trans with a Stall converter so I can pre-load the drive tran. The help I need from you guuys is wat parts I should run, and What is going to be the best power adders.

Thanks for the info about the bushings. I will look into that and a camber kit!

rb25drag
09-24-2007, 11:16 AM
I think I've only been in one mustang. Once. And I'm still sick from it. Half of the v6 mustang drivers are domestic ricers. What would that make them? What the hell comes out of america? You know, america is a weird word. :adhd whore:

rb25drag's rb is nasty mean. Promise. He doesn't need a mustang... just some supporting mods to allow his built-ass internals go nuts... and axles to keep it going straight. And more traction.

Mustangs are all the same and only have a history of breaking and sometimes being able to go straight. The only reason people build them is because there cheap......

Thanks for the support (OurOnePassion) Your one of the few that knows about wats fixing to go down.:fawkd:

240's have the history of handling and being able to drift!!! Soon to add Drag to that category to.

Drag racing isnt about being able to go down a straight line and doing it fast. Drag takes driving skills. Someone who can cut a good light, Hit shift points exactly every time at the same time and being able to run consistant. When your making a ton of power it is very hard to keep the power on the ground and keep it straight.:2f2f: Suspension plays a huge roll in this setup.

steve shadows
09-24-2007, 11:21 AM
The whole point of the build is to represent the 240 and its history and to show Domestic that we can make power and we can make them look bad with our 4cly and inline 6. Bottom line is when you go to a drag strip you never see an import do good and most of the time there whispering to there neighbor saying wat the F*** is this guy doing????? I want them to SH** there pants when they see a 240 doing something its not suppose to be!!! Im going to be different. When this 240 brings the front wheels off the ground and launches like a bat on roids I wanna see peoples faces drop.

Thanks for the info about the bushings. I will look into that and a camber kit!

please tell me your no older than 7

realslow
09-24-2007, 11:30 AM
for your 2 step you are going to have to use

MSD Dis-4 if you can use that on a RB but i did use it on my SR setup you can get them for 200-500 bucks
AEM EMS- the best period, has a 2 step option already burned in the program. but be ready to shell out at least 1000-1700 on this setup

RedtopTech
09-24-2007, 11:41 AM
With stock t-25, 3 inch turbo back, manual boost controller and 75 shot, i cut 1.7 60 ft's and 7.7 in the 1/8th on 225 bfg's. my suspension is pretty much the same as yours with tien green springs. To combat wheel hop i replaced all of the bushings with energy suspension poly. the bushing's were the best bang for the buck. Also dialing in .4 degrees positive camber in the back took me from 1.81 to my present 1.70 60 ft. This is all with a VLSD. If your going to use vehicle for only drag, i highlly rec. going with an auto trans. Consistancy and boost off the line win the race. 2 steps just make the engine missfire which in my opinion isnt the best way to build boost. using 2 power adders may put you in a different class but if you can get away with it, its the best intercooler there is, builds boost instantly, and makes for insane mid range torque! Good luck!

KA24DESOneThree
09-24-2007, 01:20 PM
The 240's history never involved either drag racing or an RB.

You'll just be representing... nothing.

Anyone can put horsepower in a car and go fast. It proves nothing.

As you can tell by my sig, I am biased.

rb25drag
09-25-2007, 12:30 PM
I found a wesite to buy the conversion plate and transmission from. Now all I need is some turbo upgrade Ideas. I need a fast spooling turbo that can handle up to 28PSI. Any Ideas? I like the GT28 by HKS but im not sure of wat kind of boost it is able to produce.

rb25drag
09-25-2007, 08:18 PM
The 240's history never involved either drag racing or an RB.

You'll just be representing... nothing.

Anyone can put horsepower in a car and go fast. It proves nothing.

As you can tell by my sig, I am biased.

Well it looks like Ill be making a little history then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

umsports
09-26-2007, 05:45 PM
The 240SX makes an excellent drag platform, and anyone that wants to prove me otherwise....Drive to Dallas, TX and I'll prove it.

smelly240
09-26-2007, 06:06 PM
wow- did you really just say that bs?

you want a FAST DRAG CAR - and you're looking at a GT28!!??!! ona friggin RB?!!? WTF are you on? I think you meant a GT3582R or something bigger

And what turbo are you on that you're making 400HP at 10psi? You are outta your mind if you think the stock RB25 turbo makes 400HP on ANY amount of boost.

and WTF do you need a fast spooling turbo for drag racing for? Antilag broke? no launch control??

and i dont think you'll be lifting wheel in a s chassis either.

Either I am very confused... or you are.

and I know enough to tell that you are full of crap.

rb25drag
09-26-2007, 06:25 PM
The 240SX makes an excellent drag platform, and anyone that wants to prove me otherwise....Drive to Dallas, TX and I'll prove it.\

A-Men Brotha!!!!!

rb25drag
09-26-2007, 06:44 PM

you want a FAST DRAG CAR - and you're looking at a GT28!!??!! ona friggin RB?!!? WTF are you on? I think you meant a GT3582R or something bigger

And what turbo are you on that you're making 400HP at 10psi? You are outta your mind if you think the stock RB25 turbo makes 400HP on ANY amount of boost.

and WTF do you need a fast spooling turbo for drag racing for? Antilag broke? no launch control??

BS?????? You think BS!!!!!!!!!
Try me.... Freakon push my buttons... You want proof Get in your happy little car come to TN and all show you balls out!!! With the right setup/combo you can make 400 easy on 10PSI!!!!
No wheelie???? HAHA you obviously dont know who your talking too!!!
This ole boy has built more power out of one engine than you have seen your entire life!!!!:rawk:

How about a 500 cubic inch big block hemi on nitro methane running 8000HP!!! Those big enough numbers for ya!!!!
How about 45PSi out of a DSI 1475 supercharger!!!! How about 90 gallon per min fuel pumps. and 2 spark plugs per cyl X 8 cyl= 16 plugs running 44 amps per plug. thats more amps per plug than your entire car will run. So before you go telling me I dont know wat im talking about with engines you need to get to know me a little better!!! I have built 8000 HP engines for 6 years now. Ya im new to the whole Skyline engine and im still learning every day. I have a lot to learn yet but I know my setup I know what it can and cannot do. I wont BS anyone on here I only tell facts. I have witnesses to back me up to!!! but it seems to me that if Im keeping up with guys with 550-650WHP then I have to be making around 400. There isnt that much weight difference.

So now that you have asked me a few questions? Anything else you wanna know?

OurOnePassion
09-26-2007, 06:47 PM
The 240SX makes an excellent drag platform, and anyone that wants to prove me otherwise....Drive to Dallas, TX and I'll prove it.

+1

See KA24DES, this is what i meant. Can't politely suggest anything that he may not agree with - no, this joker has to jump on his case when he doesn't have any rights to. Everyone has to come out of nowhere just to bitch. WTF to that? Wasn't calling you out KA, just using this fellow as an example. I see your point...

Oh, "smelly", what is it that you can tell he's full of crap about? I'm curious.

TheTimanator
09-26-2007, 06:51 PM
There is nothing new about drag racing an s-chasis. The Mazworx S14 is well into the 9's and there have been a few 10 sec KA-T or SR cars and hundreds in the 11-12 sec range. Ziliva is not big on drag racing, never has been. There are a few of us that drag just b/c it's fun but I'm not sure if any members have built a dedicated drag car.

Back in Florida every time I went to the dragstrip there were at least a half dozen s-chasis, and there was always at least one running 12's or faster.

Anyways check out http://www.drag240sx.com/ I understand what your trying to do especially here in TN, b/c the only thing people care about here are your timeslips...... but honestly, who cares what other people think (as long as you have good taste :p ) especially in this redneck state.

PS- Speaking of history.....anyone remember that S13 from FL that had a lift kit on it and actually drove offroad. That was awesome hahaha :rofl:

whereda40at
09-26-2007, 07:05 PM
drag cars ftw

rb25drag
09-26-2007, 07:06 PM
There is nothing new about drag racing an s-chasis. The Mazworx S14 is well into the 9's and there have been a few 10 sec KA-T or SR cars and hundreds in the 11-12 sec range. Ziliva is not big on drag racing, never has been. There are a few of us that drag just b/c it's fun but I'm not sure if any members have built a dedicated drag car.

Back in Florida every time I went to the dragstrip there were at least a half dozen s-chasis, and there was always at least one running 12's or faster.

Anyways check out http://www.drag240sx.com/ I understand what your trying to do especially here in TN, b/c the only thing people care about here are your timeslips...... but honestly, who cares what other people think (as long as you have good taste :p ) especially in this redneck state.

PS- Speaking of history.....anyone remember that S13 from FL that had a lift kit on it and actually drove offroad. That was awesome hahaha :rofl:

:werd:
Thanks for the post (TheTimanator)

I personally have not seen a s chassis drag car in TN!!! A few wanna b's... Thats the hole point too.. Something you don't see.:rl: Its not just about the timeslips to me anyways. Its about character and taste. My whole family is in drag racing and they to this day call me crazy for building it. So I just wanna prove it can be done and be done nice and not throwed together. I dont have alot of money but I can do lots of fabrication. So with that lots of time/ effort anything can be nice. The car iis still going to be street legal too. I would like to start running the street Bounty class. check it out at www.Bountyrace.com All the cars are street legal but most of the class consist of mustangs and camaro's only import is a porshe and has a small block chevy in it. I wanna go all import. :axe:

OurOnePassion
09-26-2007, 07:10 PM
^The kid has good taste. Haven't seen him buy a shitty part yet. That's why he hasn't been able to buy food for the last two years...

And I just thought I'd say: gotta remember this isn't 1/4 mile racing. He's running in the 1/8th.

smelly240
09-26-2007, 08:28 PM
you say you make 400HP on a stock turbo @ 10 PSI - I dont care who you are or what you say you build... your RB doesnt make 400HP @ 10psi on a shitty stock RB25 t3 turbo - 275 maybe... but 400 c'mon dude - t3 flanged or not - stock t28s (thats what the stock RB25 turbo is - some kinda ceramic turbine wheel t3 flanged t28) dont make 400HP @ 10psi

TheTimanator
09-26-2007, 08:58 PM
whats the deal with the 1/8th mile around here? To me it's worth it to drive all the way to Beech Bend just to be able to run a full 1/4. For tuning purposes and practicing your launch or something, I could understand an 1/8th, but other than that....

Do me a favor, when you get it running again...go to Beech Bend, at least once? :naughty:

rb25drag
09-26-2007, 09:23 PM
whats the deal with the 1/8th mile around here? To me it's worth it to drive all the way to Beech Bend just to be able to run a full 1/4. For tuning purposes and practicing your launch or something, I could understand an 1/8th, but other than that....

Do me a favor, when you get it running again...go to Beech Bend, at least once? :naughty:

Trust me I would rather run 1/4 mile but 1/8 mile is the only thing around me unless I travel to Bristol TN which is about a 6 hr drive. Once it is tuned and im happy with the setup then I might travel to a 1/4 mile track to make a few passes. But it would cost me an arm and a leg to go as is and prob not get much more than a low 12 sec to a high 11 sec pass out of it like it sets. But for now I wanna just get it down in the 6's at the local 1/8th then work on my 1/4 mile times.

rb25drag
09-26-2007, 09:32 PM
you say you make 400HP on a stock turbo @ 10 PSI - I dont care who you are or what you say you build... your RB doesnt make 400HP @ 10psi on a shitty stock RB25 t3 turbo - 275 maybe... but 400 c'mon dude - t3 flanged or not - stock t28s (thats what the stock RB25 turbo is - some kinda ceramic turbine wheel t3 flanged t28) dont make 400HP @ 10psi

Your read it wrong!!!! I said Estimated around 400!!! I have seen a few people make over 400HP on stock turbo:loco: So I know it can be done. Like I said before I havent gotten it to the Dyno yet!! But its coming as soon as I get the rear end back together. Then Ill post ya real numbers. Wat im going off from is most guys run out of injectors around 370-400HP usually boosting around 14-18 PSI. Since mine has been decked and compression raised, me at 10 is close to there 14+ watever due to that I am running out of injector at 10. Thats were I got my estimate.

smelly240
09-27-2007, 04:47 AM
ok - so plain and simple - you will not make 400HP on the stock rb25 turbo - it simply wont flow that much. It will fart out at around 300 even. you arent making that on 10 psi tho - 250 is more like it (and I'd bet my paycheck on it)

you think because you changed compression .4 that your car is now some kind of freak that makes 400hp on a itty bitty turbo

you've been told now on multiple forums that your car is nowhere near 400hp on that turbo - why do you still insist it is, when you obviously dont know squat? You really think that 10psi @ 9:1 = 14psi @ 8.6:1 check effective compression ratio - it'll give you an idea (15.12 for you - 16.79 for them at 14psi).

i wish your brain worked good... but it doesnt.

rb25drag
10-02-2007, 06:30 PM
ok - so plain and simple - you will not make 400HP on the stock rb25 turbo - it simply wont flow that much. It will fart out at around 300 even. you arent making that on 10 psi tho - 250 is more like it (and I'd bet my paycheck on it)

you think because you changed compression .4 that your car is now some kind of freak that makes 400hp on a itty bitty turbo

you've been told now on multiple forums that your car is nowhere near 400hp on that turbo - why do you still insist it is, when you obviously dont know squat? You really think that 10psi @ 9:1 = 14psi @ 8.6:1 check effective compression ratio - it'll give you an idea (15.12 for you - 16.79 for them at 14psi).

i wish your brain worked good... but it doesnt.

Well as soon as I get it on the Dyno Ill take your pay check and use it towards me some new parts,

I might not be making exactly 400, But I guarantee its over 350lbs tq, Its funny all these guys with rb26's in the s13 chassis is only running 8.20's and 30's in the 1/8th and I know there making well over 300lbs tq . Plus there is one kid on Nico thats pushing 7 PSI out of the hole and only cutting 1.8 60', My un-tuned no boost off the line 25 is cutting a 1.6 60' and im coasting threw the line at 8.10 top-end. Well capable of running 7.90's

So one of 2 things happening here!!!
They suck at Driving and im totally out driving them.
Or the rb26 is not worth a penny in doing a swap.

Sorry but numbers it says it all to me!!!!

rb25drag
10-02-2007, 07:11 PM
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=78273942&albumId=1056864

OurOnePassion
10-02-2007, 07:14 PM
^Gotta be logged in.

TheTimanator
10-02-2007, 10:05 PM
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=78273942&albumId=1056864

ditch the hood and the stripes, yuck... it's not a domestic. And that wing doesn't really go well without some kind of aero. Just my opinion though.

You need to get this thing running. Went to the hill tonight and I was the only 240 running. Back in orlando, I would have been 1 of 8 or more. And holy crap, my car is a sausage magnet. :confused:

rb25drag
10-03-2007, 04:45 AM
Every time I have been to the track here in TN. I am the only import to run with the V8 guys, When I beat a 2008 twin turbo corvette they almost shit a brick. Imports here like to embarrass there selves with there loud ass exhaust and Indy car 500 winged pile of junks, I honestly know of about 3 cars here that are nicely built. Here unless its a V8 your laughed at until you bend then over your knee and whoop on them.

Tearlessj
10-03-2007, 05:53 AM
Where in TN are you? And yes traction will become a problem when you make some serious power. Hopefully you have some serious power to lift those front wheels. Which as of right now I highly doubt you will do. Especially with a stock turbo. Why no GT40?

I support high horsepower cars, which most of the members here dont. I would have went with a 2JZ with a BL400 if I were you though.

OurOnePassion
10-03-2007, 07:13 AM
...I honestly know of about 3 cars here that are nicely built.

I hope youre talking about at the strip, but I know there are more than three there.
If not, I know mine isn't one of them. Hahaha. Soon. :ninja:

We're in east Tennessee. Somewhere between Chattanooga and Knoxville.

rb25drag
10-03-2007, 01:20 PM
Where in TN are you? And yes traction will become a problem when you make some serious power. Hopefully you have some serious power to lift those front wheels. Which as of right now I highly doubt you will do. Especially with a stock turbo. Why no GT40?

I support high horsepower cars, which most of the members here dont. I would have went with a 2JZ with a BL400 if I were you though.

East TN,

Thats why im tuning the car for 6 now and if I need 750 then its there just crank the boost and re-tune.

GT40 I think is a little big for the inline 6, The biggest ill go is prob gt35, I know I want have to worry about lag off the line do to my auto setup with trans brake and stall converter but if for some reason I have to get out of the throttle and back in it I dont want it taking 30-60 seconds to re-gain boost.

2JZ is as expensive as the RB to build, Ya i can make more power but I wanna stay with Nissan brand, in knoxville TN there is a bunch of guys running supra's at the track with 2jz's, I dont wanna be a follower. Were im at people say RB wat??????????? They also so so skyline huh??? Wats that...lol If you know what im saying. There isnt much around here!!!
I think I have the only 2 turbo cars in my county HAHA Well at least that runs.

If I cannot reach my goal of a 6 flat 1/8 mile without the car getting stupid or I cant catch traction ill then tub it and go narrowed 9" Ford rear end with some 15 inch slicks, That should keep the power on the ground.

I was referring 3 nice cars as imports, There is a ton of nice Domestic cars here.

rb25drag
10-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Looked at the Turbonetics GT-K 650575-700.68 4 bolt square 11262

Anyone know any information about them or has run them?

steve shadows
10-09-2007, 03:39 PM
they are ok

but nothing beats a garrett

go garrett

otherwise just get a journal bearing t67