PDA

View Full Version : Leaky CV Boot

93SECoupe
09-17-2007, 03:54 PM
Ok so I just installed some new coilovers on my car, while I was underneath the car making some adustments I noticed there were some stains on the floor. I examined the stains and determined it was not oil. Instead it was this clear lubricant that came from my cv boots. My question is do I have to replace the inner and outer tie rods as I was thinking of doing that anyway.

projectRDM
09-17-2007, 07:23 PM
Two completely different things. CV boots are found on the axle, which is in the rear of the car.
Tie rods are part of the steering rack, in the front of the car.

Figure out what in hell you're talking about and come back.

93SECoupe
09-17-2007, 08:13 PM
Actually I'm referring to the front of the car where the CV joint is on the front axle which is covered by a boot hence the term CV Boot. I dont know much about the suspension components but I do know there are cv boots both the front and back of the car.

projectRDM
09-17-2007, 09:53 PM
Wrong. There is no axle on the front of a RWD car, period, hence it being rear wheel drive. Now it's possible you drive an AWD car, though doubtful, and in that case you would have CV boots on the front axles which do drive the wheel hubs, just like the rear, but they'd be sealed just like the rear as well.

Now that we're getting somewhere, the 'axles' you're probably referring to are part of the steering rack, the tie rods. These have absolutely nothing to do with driving the car, they're for steering it, hence the name steering rack. Now that we're getting somewhere, there is no clear fluid in the steering rack, it's red because it's ATF, and the rack is sealed so there shouldn't be anything leaking from it anyway, the boot on the rack is designed to keep the grease in the rack from coming off the inner gear and to prevent road debris from damaging it. And it's called a....................tie rod boot or steering rack boot, not a CV boot.

So you're right, you don't know much about suspension components.

xblack240x
09-17-2007, 11:01 PM
Your question has been answered by the great one!

Anyways, I know some people who call them bellows boots as well... If that is really what is leaking I believe you can replace them without having to change your tie rods.. But if you want to you can change everything... Depends on your time and money... Anyways make sure you know what you are looking at and what is leaking or take a picture and ask so we can help you... Good luck

theronin
09-18-2007, 05:11 AM
Ok so I just installed some new coilovers on my car, while I was underneath the car making some adustments I noticed there were some stains on the floor. I examined the stains and determined it was not oil. Instead it was this clear lubricant that came from my cv boots. My question is do I have to replace the inner and outer tie rods as I was thinking of doing that anyway.

if you were thinking about doing it anyways u might as well just go for it. go ahead and search tie rods and u will find more than enough options to choose from. while ur down there might as well look into new tc rods since more than likely the bushings will be fubar also. oh, and thats Russ, he has been working on 240's since before you were born probably. so show some respect.

r6_240sx
09-18-2007, 06:06 AM
Your steering rack crapped out on you.

Get:
ATF Fluid
Steering Rack (if u have $$ get hicas rack)
Tie Rods (possibly aftermarket)
New steering rack bushings
New steering rack boots
SS PS line
After install get alignment

/thread

93SECoupe
09-18-2007, 09:24 PM
I apologize for my earlier post I guess I was referring to it by the wrong name. What I was talking about is the steering rack boot which is leaking. I had problems with my power steering fluid running out on me before. However I just recently replaced my power steering pressure line. I do notice there’s a lot of oil and grease by where my cross member is.

93SECoupe
09-18-2007, 09:40 PM
So I guess I should replace my whole steering rack, I was afraid of that. What are the advantages of the hicas rack? I'm also thinking of replacing all my suspension bushings with polyurethane ones.

racepar1
09-18-2007, 11:15 PM
Do the bushings it makes a HUGE difference! But be warned it is a serious pain in the ass and if you are asking people on the forums if you need to replace a leaking steering rack then you probably don't have the skill or experience to do it yourself.