PDA

View Full Version : Nissan GT-R = 0 to 60 in 3.9

Unholy S14
09-12-2007, 11:24 AM
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2007/09/gtr_proto_30lo.jpg

Under the hood of the Nissan GT-R: Engine details revealed

The VK45 was rumored to be the engine for the GT-R, but Nissan felt its overall style was more Grand Touring than was appropriate, so they reached back into history and pulled out a little number from the R390 LeMans racer.

The R390 sported a 3.5 liter V8 known as the VRH35L, which was essentially recreated as a V6 production engine in the form of the upcoming GT-R's VR38VETT. Even though it loses two cylinders, it gains 300cc of displacement, for a total of 3.8 liters. Oh yeah, there's a couple of turbochargers thrown in for good measure, too. Despite the amount of air it can pump, the VR38 is a compact mill with lots of trick touches. Among the most interesting features, and probably the ones that tuners will hate the most, are the integrated turbine housings in the exhaust manifolds. Having the impellers right in the manifold keeps weight down and improves response, while also making the overall package more compact and thus easier to nestle down into the frame. Each cylinder bank has its own independent intake manifold, which is the main thing you see when lifting the hood. The cylinders fed by that plumbing are occupied by lightened pistons, which are in turn flung around by svelte connecting rods and crankshaft, too. Cosworth had a hand in engineering the engine, which has an alloy block with linerless bores, plenty of magnesium alloy pieces, an oiling system capable of coping with high g's, and an eagerness to rev in a way 3800ccs usually aren't.

The GT-R will be impressive when it debuts in just a couple of months, and from the numbers, it looks like it'll give a Porsche 911 Turbo quite a run for its (big pile of) money. The horsepower figure for both cars is 480ps, and while the GT-R gives up some torque to the Porsche, the GT-R rips off equally quick dashes to 100 km/h (3.9 seconds) and has been designed with vehicular balance as an overarching theme. While the chassis of the GT-R can handle more power, Nissan's considerable Group C racing experience showed that cars with better balance are faster than horsepower champs. With a front engine/AWD layout, it'll be less a widowmaker than the 911, which can get wiggly at times. How's this sound – performance equal to (and potentially better) than the 911 Turbo for half the price (7.9 million Yen versus 18.2 million Yen)? Yeah, we thought so. Besides, the GT-R isn't stuck in some kind of iconoclastic styling purgatory the way the 911 is.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/0...ments (http://www.autoblog.com/2007/09/11/under-the-hood-of-the-nissan-gt-r/#comments)

ripnbst
09-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Awesome article. car sounds SIIIIICK!

bamaboy
09-12-2007, 11:32 AM
sick.... this car sounds like it has a chronic disease. I love this car. The intergrated turbine housing sound like they are going to make upgrading a bit more challenging.

SimpleS14
09-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Among the most interesting features, and probably the ones that tuners will hate the most, are the integrated turbine housings in the exhaust manifolds.

I have to see this....never heard of such a setup.

xblack240x
09-12-2007, 11:35 AM
Great article, keep us updated, I'm too lazy to find this stuff out on my own :bigok:

exitspeed
09-12-2007, 12:10 PM
What's this GTR they speak of?

3.9 0-60 isn't bad.

This "integrated turbine housings in the exhaust manifold" item sounds like it's gonna be expensive to upgrade.

SiI40sx
09-12-2007, 12:15 PM
I have to see this....never heard of such a setup.

I thought the SRT4's were designed that way?? Also in one of the TopGear episodes wasnt it said that the GTR wasnt built to compete with other manufacturers?? I just thought about this.....

ixfxi
09-12-2007, 01:27 PM
"How's this sound – performance equal to (and potentially better) than the 911 Turbo for half the price (7.9 million Yen versus 18.2 million Yen)? Yeah, we thought so. Besides, the GT-R isn't stuck in some kind of iconoclastic styling purgatory the way the 911 is."

how does it sound? sounds like the author of this article is more interested in economy rather than actually accepting cars for what they are.

if you're stupid enough to put down a 911 turbo just to praise a not-yet-released and less-expensive skyline gt-r, you gotta have your head examined.

i'm not a big fan of porsche cars, but i damn well respect how they perform and how they're engineered. its stupid to praise a car that isnt even here yet, especially when they're running integrated turbos - thats just rediculous. this will easily mean that the gtr will be difficult to upgrade, while the 911 turbo isnt.

who cares about price anyway? people who actually buy these cars dont.

916S14
09-12-2007, 01:32 PM
i wish they kept the styling of the R34 for this new skyline. Car sounds like its gonna be hot.

exitspeed
09-12-2007, 01:33 PM
Also in one of the TopGear episodes wasnt it said that the GTR wasnt built to compete with other manufacturers??

If they said that they are retarded. The car was hand in hand with a 911 Turbo though most of it's testing. It's pretty freakin obvious they are trying to compete.

I want my own fucking show.

exitspeed
09-25-2007, 12:41 PM
Best shot yet of the front Fascia so far.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee9edb8/cmd.233/enclosure..ee9edb9

Also Edmunds is reporting the GTR is running the same times on the ring as the Carrera GT. Unofficially the GTR ran a 7:28 recently:

While the Turbo laps the Nordschleife in 7:40, the Porsche Carrera GT has reportedly done it in just 7:28 at hands of Walter Roehl. Nissan is supposedly gunning for the GT, but they'll need a perfect lap to beat that time.

ALSO:

The newest round of unconfirmed, yet plausible information comes courtesy of the GTChannel, where they've reported a number of facts that we've listed in all their bullet-point glory after the jump.

• The chassis designation will be CBA-R35, the last bit continuing the long-held R-number moniker of previous generations

• Three trim levels: Base, Black Edition and Premium – all equipped with the same VR38DETT twin-turbocharged 3.8-liter V6

• Everything fit within the engine will be forged

• Six exterior colors: Titanium Gray, Dark Metal Blue, Super Black, Vibrant Red, Ultimate Metal Silver and White Pearl, the last two are classified as premium paints and will command a few extra bucks.

• Two interior colors: Black or Gray, with black appropriately being the only color available on the "Black Edition"

• Rays forged wheels (likely sized 18-inches), coated in chrome and wrapped in Dunlop Sports tires. An upgraded tire and wheel package with gunmetal Rays wheels will be available on the base model, and standard on Black and Premium vehicles.

• Anti-theft and Bose sound will be an option on the base and Black versions, while standard in Premium trim.

• SRS curtain and side airbags will be an option on all three models

As for dimensions, it's been pretty much confirmed that the GT-R will be 4,650mm long (183-inches), with a wheelbase of 2,800 mm (110-inches) and a width of 1,920mm (75.6-inches). Power is still expected to be in the 450 to 550 HP arena, with a curb weight somewhere in the neighborhood of 3,500 lbs.

SimpleS14
09-25-2007, 01:30 PM
I'm willing to beat a certain shade of blue will be a premium color....and quite possibly Midnight Purple.

Unconfirmed info rumors 20's on this car: http://www.7tune.com/?p=106

exitspeed
09-25-2007, 01:36 PM
I'm willing to bet a certain shade of blue will be a premium color....and quite possibly Midnight Purple.

That seems like a safe bet.

Gimmie WHITE!

5t341tH
09-25-2007, 01:38 PM
looks interesting...
http://www.7tune.com/newtune/justin/gtrseptember/gtr2.jpg

exitspeed
09-25-2007, 01:48 PM
That could be a Transformers stomach!

Bushido
09-25-2007, 01:49 PM
I'm sure Nissan would misspell manifold on the engine cover.

exitspeed
09-25-2007, 01:59 PM
^
Ha, good observation!

RiversideS13
09-25-2007, 02:37 PM
^^ lol that is funny

SimpleS14
09-25-2007, 02:52 PM
lol @ typo.....last time I link something from there :duh:

Best shot yet of the front Fascia so far.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee9edb8/cmd.233/enclosure..ee9edb9

That front bumper reminds me of the NISMO 380RS (or Autech Z).

exitspeed
09-25-2007, 03:53 PM
I'm sure Nissan would misspell manifold on the engine cover.

Manihold...it sounds so...gay.

lflkajfj12123
09-25-2007, 03:59 PM
h and f have the same sound in japanese so its probally not a mistake

there is no one sound for h or f its listed as h/f

SimpleS14
09-25-2007, 04:56 PM
h and f have the same sound in japanese so its probally not a mistake

there is no one sound for h or f its listed as h/f

I need an example of this.

mRclARK1
09-25-2007, 05:37 PM